General Packer News 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Power Success of the Packers offensive line by FO has that at 100% success rate.
Percentage of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieved a first down or touchdown. Also includes runs on first-and-goal or second-and-goal from the two-yard line or closer. This is the only statistic on this page that includes quarterbacks.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
12 Oct 2021 11:14
go pak go wrote:
12 Oct 2021 10:07
The only thing this defense has left to be desired is:

1. the missed play before the half at Cincy.
2. Allowing 100% TDs while in the RZ.
MLF indicated that the red zone failure rate is a result of missed assignments; that he's happy, for the most part, with the play calls there. He said something like "it takes all 11; we need to execute; if only 9 guys do their job, we fail"
Yeah and I think that is a good thing.

I'm happier that these failures are due to just dumb mental mistakes early in season because you would hope those correct themselves as the season went on.

I was super down Week 1 because the effort just wasn't there (because we see these stretches a lot from the Packers where they just give little effort and look flat). That has not been the case after halftime of Week 2. The effort has been insane. It's been a pleasure to watch.

This team could be really, really good if they figure out the RZ and get on the same page as well as get our guys back. (even if it's just Jaire...though i would take Z too)
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Oct 2021 11:13
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/lists/ ... s-of-2021/

For what it's worth top graded players through 5 games by PFF. Some head scratching additions and omissions.
Oren Burks getting some love...? Hmmm

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I will say this.

The amount of joy I have been having watching all players on defense just play balls to the walls each play has been so gratifying.

It is fun watching Kevin King trigger on short passes and make aggressive tackles for a gain of 2.
It is fun watching Eric Stokes make every catch competitive and know you have a shot for a good play when the ball is in the air.
It is fun watching Garvin, Lancaster, Lowry getting after the QB and plugging run holes.
It is fun watching Campbell run around and not let anything go beyond 5 yards.
It is fun watching us rely less and less on our safeties to make plays.
It is fun watching Kenny Clark absolutely blow sh*t up.
It is fun watching Gary and Preston be disciplined in their run assignments and clean up plays after Clark initially destroys the play.
It is fun watching Garvin and Rivers/Hamilton hold their own on 1st and 2nd down so we get a fresh Gary/Preston on 3rd with a legit chance at making a stop.

It is relieving that I only counted one play on Sunday where the Bengals converted on 3rd down because King played soft zone coverage. Everything else was contested.

I am LOVING this defense right now.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

So did a little more digging into Jonathan Garvin after he had his most productive week as a Packer, top 5 defensive grade from PFF.

7th rounder in his 2nd year, out of Miami, maybe some reason for optimism there.

Measurable Measurement
Height 6' 4"
Weight 263 lbs
Arm Length 34"
Hand Size 9⅝"
40 Yard Dash 4.82s
Vertical Jump 36"
Broad Jump 125"
Bench Press 23 reps

Frankly, the guy is incredibly athletic for his size. That jumping ability at that weight is crazy. Decent length, size and arms, nearly cookie cutter size for an OLB. He's got some power on him too. (ignore first video)

He's now played in all 5 games, averaging around 20 snaps per game on D and 10 snaps on ST, give or take.

He's been sneakily good and starting to make a few impact plays, pressures at the right time, impacting the game.

Frankly he started showing up in PS

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

BF004 wrote:
12 Oct 2021 12:28
He's been sneakily good and starting to make a few impact plays, pressures at the right time, impacting the game.
Good stuff
Garvin has athleticism - his draft day drop was due to the space between his ears and some questionable behaviors. If he has that cleaned up, kudos for Garvin and good news for GB.
IT. IS. TIME

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Oct 2021 08:25
At 4-1 we have about a 75% chance of making the playoffs. The Arizona game is the only on the schedule at this point that I would say it will be extra hard to win that game. Rams at home, Chiefs away, and Ravens away look like the next 3 hardest games, but winnable. Let's make it another 13 win season!
I may regret saying this later, but I'm not sold on Arizona yet. They have started fast with this regime in the past before fizzling out. Kyler Murray and Kingsbury are both Big 12 guys, so I've seen them in action quite a bit and they never struck me as winners, but that could have changed by now.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

texas wrote:
12 Oct 2021 13:15
Pckfn23 wrote:
At 4-1 we have about a 75% chance of making the playoffs. The Arizona game is the only on the schedule at this point that I would say it will be extra hard to win that game. Rams at home, Chiefs away, and Ravens away look like the next 3 hardest games, but winnable. Let's make it another 13 win season!
I may regret saying this later, but I'm not sold on Arizona yet. They have started fast with this regime in the past before fizzling out. Kyler Murray and Kingsbury are both Big 12 guys, so I've seen them in action quite a bit and they never struck me as winners, but that could have changed by now.
Ya, I don't see them as anything special at this point either, but they are the hardest team left on our schcedule.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

texas wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
Their defense is good. My barometer is holding a team under 20 or less points is a win.

The Cardinals did that in 4 of their 5 wins.

The only game that they should have lost was vs MN. And honestly they should have lost that game. MN misses an extra point, a FG at the end and the Cards make a 62 yard FG. But their convincing win over LAR has to put them above them at this point. I think it's pretty close between DAL, TB, GB, LARa and AZ at this point.
Yoop wrote:

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

go pak go wrote:
12 Oct 2021 13:49
texas wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
Their defense is good. My barometer is holding a team under 20 or less points is a win.

The only game that they should have lost was vs MN. And honestly they should have lost that game. MN misses an extra point, a FG at the end and the Cards make a 62 yard FG. But their convincing win over LAR has to put them above them at this point. I think it's pretty close between DAL, TB, GB, LARa and AZ at this point.
Yeah I agree that those are the contenders at this point. I think we all sort of assumed SF would be a contender this year but they have been worse than expected. I also won't sleep on Carolina.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Joe Barry connection.

RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

We're really loading up on youngish veteranish CBs, huh?

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

paco wrote:
12 Oct 2021 16:08
Joe Barry connection.

This is a good pickup. He’s not going to move any needles but in a pinch he won’t make any crazy mistakes you see from young rookies.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

texas wrote:
12 Oct 2021 15:42
go pak go wrote:
12 Oct 2021 13:49
texas wrote:

Yeah I agree that those are the contenders at this point. I think we all sort of assumed SF would be a contender this year but they have been worse than expected. I also won't sleep on Carolina.
I think SF can still something. Their two losses are against top NFC teams and they were relatively close games. They held the Cardinals to 17 points and had to play with a backup QB.

It's just too early in the season yet to determine who is good and not good based on record. The Vikings are literally one play away each game from being essentially undefeated. As an example.
Yoop wrote:

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Aaron Rodgers on Lucas Patrick:

"He's the kind of guy that you always want to go to battle with. He's extremely tough. Dirtbag type of lineman."
IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Oct 2021 11:17
Power Success of the Packers offensive line by FO has that at 100% success rate.
Percentage of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieved a first down or touchdown. Also includes runs on first-and-goal or second-and-goal from the two-yard line or closer. This is the only statistic on this page that includes quarterbacks.
...thanks to a tripping penalty, hahaha

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

APB wrote:
12 Oct 2021 11:35
Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Oct 2021 11:13
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/lists/ ... s-of-2021/

For what it's worth top graded players through 5 games by PFF. Some head scratching additions and omissions.
Oren Burks getting some love...? Hmmm
Now if only he could tackle.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
12 Oct 2021 16:14
We're really loading up on youngish veteranish CBs, huh?
good idea, they've had some NFL coaching so there a bit farther along then most UDFA's and now with Alexander out and King's cronic injury issues where going to need some ready to play CB help, glad to see Guty bringing them in.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Considering who we are playing on the offensive line, this is crazy.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Obviously pressure is going to make the QBs job harder, but there is a huge gap between those numbers. We need to help Rodgers out when he is pressured. Have an outlet guy so that we aren't throwing it away so much or just chucking it.

Getting our linemen back will help in so much as we will not have to chip as much.