General Packer News 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
19 Oct 2021 11:54
go pak go wrote:
19 Oct 2021 11:32
Yoop wrote:
19 Oct 2021 11:22

I'am spoiled, all Packer drafted edge rushers are measured compared to Clay Mathews, he played like a vet right outta the gate, 10 sacks, 45 pressures, 50 tackles :aok:
Yeah Clay as an edge rusher was amazing for 3 seasons. 2009, 2010 and 2012.

After that I think the league kinda figured out how to beat the "speed" rusher.
I’ve thought about that a lot in the last few years. Like remember Clays rip and dip move in 2010? He would get such a crazy angle to the ground and get to the QB. Jerry Hughes used to do it. Von Miller was a god at it. Really not to many edge guys doing that today though.
Yeah. I think it's a combination of tackles figuring out that first step better and forcing the speed guys to make a bigger loop to get around them. The league also is filled with significantly faster QBs which ironically means speed rushers are at a disadvantage because their path to winning was often from behind. Well now a QB can just step in that left or right area and completely expose the speed rusher. Finally, coaches are getting more creative with the run game to take advantage of speed boys to take them out of the game.

Pass Rush now is going back to the bull rush where you want the interior to get enough push and the edge guys doing the same to collapse that pocket. This is especially important for speed guys. Reduce the space. Then it's about using stunts and interchange small guys in the middle to try and make moves on less atheletic guards/centers while also being a more straight shot to the QB.

To me it makes sense that mobile QBs were significantly more successful vs Clay Matthews led defenses than other more traditional defenses. Clay just took himself out of the play too much by getting behind the QB to try and loop around the tackle. It's something Gary did a lot too the first few games this season.

He's gotten a lot better at it.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
19 Oct 2021 11:32
Yoop wrote:
19 Oct 2021 11:22
go pak go wrote:
19 Oct 2021 11:06

His Dallas pick 6 was so cool.
I'am spoiled, all Packer drafted edge rushers are measured compared to Clay Mathews, he played like a vet right outta the gate, 10 sacks, 45 pressures, 50 tackles :aok:
Yeah Clay as an edge rusher was amazing for 3 seasons. 2009, 2010 and 2012.

After that I think the league kinda figured out how to beat the "speed" rusher.
wha? the nfl has never had a answer to stop speed rushers other then running the ball or keeping someone in to help the edge blocker, which is counter productive to most offenses, it sure hasn't helped our offense to help Njimin and Turner so much the last month.
I'll give up some edge containment versus asking a edge rusher to slow his pass rush to do that, it's why ya have edge CB play off man, when they see it's a run then they can turn the run in.

half the rushers on this list are mario andretti's (flat track burners) :lol:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... active.htm

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I know this is just practice squad churn, but given the circumstances, I feel like Dunbar was Douglas competition/insurance and this that releasing him so soon indicates the team is satisfied with Douglas’ performance/potential for the time being

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Vulchers

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

In all, Gary finished Sunday’s win against the Bears with a team-high seven quarterback pressures, according to Pro Football Focus. He ranks tied for ninth among NFL edge defenders with 25 pressures this season. According to TruMedia, Gary ranks 14th in the league among players who have rushed the quarterback at least 100 times this season with a 13.9 percent pressure rate. That’s ahead of edge rushers such as Minnesota’s Danielle Hunter, Tampa Bay’s Shaquil Barrett, Bosa, Chicago’s Khalil Mack and Pittsburgh’s T.J. Watt.

While Gary doesn’t rank in the top 10 among edge defenders in ESPN’s pass-rush win rate statistic, he ranks ninth in the league among edge defenders in ESPN’s run-stop win rate category.

The 2019 first-round pick has only 1.5 sacks and one tackle for loss this season, but he’s affecting the play in other ways. Gary already has as many quarterback hits (11) as he did all of last season, and he has played 181 fewer pass-rush snaps. Mike Smith is a big believer that sacks don’t indicate entirely how effective one of his guys is. While sacks are a better result for defenses than pressures, which may not prevent the offense from an explosive play, pressures are a good indicator for how consistently a defender is beating his man and disrupting plays.

Perhaps most impressive is that among the 18 edge defenders with more than 20 pressures and at least 250 defensive snaps played, according to PFF, only one hasn’t yet missed a tackle. He wears No. 52 for the Packers.
Schneidman over at The Athletic.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-pac ... 173517339/
Offensively the Packers rank 5th in weighted DVOA. Why? Because they've faced the #4, #5, #7, #10 and #13 defenses in weighted DVOA and are still 5-1. They're still averaging 24 points per game, despite a three-point stinker in week one. They're an above average offense, despite facing an ELITE defensive slate. In fact, by Football Outsiders' estimation, the Packers offense has faced the most difficult path through six weeks in the entire league.

Defensively, not everyone is so easily impressed. The Packers have faced the #28, #26, #20, #19 and #17 offenses in weighted DVOA this season. The only "decent" offense the Packers have faced is San Francisco's at #10. Because of that the Packers defense is believed to have faced the 30th-most difficult path.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I think this team is finally starting to get a little confidence and swag back, actually believe they belong.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
20 Oct 2021 15:30
Huh.

I know Baltimore is down Marcus Peters, Joe Staley, and their top 2-3 RBs, but I struggle to see that as much more costly than Jaire Alexander, David Bakhtiari, Za'Darius Smith, and role players. I'm intrigued at how that formula works. The Saints, I'm guessing, take a big hit for the career talent of Michael Thomas even though he hasn't been Michael Thomas in a while.

Anyway, Baltimore and GB both 5-1 despite a ton of injuries.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

Now there is talk of Aaron playing here next year based on recent comments of his. I know his contract is bad and would be hard to keep him, Tae, Jaire, and some others. But is it really too farfetched to think Aaron restructures to a cap friendly lower contract to keep the other guys around? I get the feeling that the money doesn't mean as much to him as having the team keep him and trade Love to prove he is still more valuable.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Here is what we have on the tap for Rodgers going forward:
image.png
image.png (56.31 KiB) Viewed 241 times
We are currently $29 million OVER the 2022 projected cap.

It would take almost halving his 2022 salary and then giving the team a VERY team friendly resigning for 3 or 4 years.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

packman114 wrote:
20 Oct 2021 18:02
Now there is talk of Aaron playing here next year based on recent comments of his. I know his contract is bad and would be hard to keep him, Tae, Jaire, and some others. But is it really too farfetched to think Aaron restructures to a cap friendly lower contract to keep the other guys around? I get the feeling that the money doesn't mean as much to him as having the team keep him and trade Love to prove he is still more valuable.
I could see a world where he turns very nice toward the team as soon as Love is punted out the door. I just don’t see how he can stay, plus all his buddies. Which then makes it more likely he won’t take some great team friendly deal.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

packman114 wrote:
I'm sorry but the idea and whispers of "Rodgers sticking around" was so predictable before Training Camp.

Fans only see a glimpse of things and so the Packers are winning, he is joking, etc. and suddenly the idea of Rodgers staying in GB after this season starts to grow.

I don't get why people think that. Look at how happy and joky and close the team was last year and then the bomb that exploded in the offseason. Literally nothing has changed. The only thing that changed is the Packers bent further to go even more all in which to me shows they know this is it and Rodgers knows it is it.

Rodgers has openly and willingly talked about every potential city he may play next year too. He honestly has no idea and neither do we. But what we do know is the amount the Packers would have to sacrifice to keep Rodgers makes practically no sense for Rodgers or the Packers. It makes sense to break up the band after this season. The Packers will get trade compensation and Rodgers will go to another team that can likely contend in 22 and 23 whereas the Packers will be more focused for 23 - 25.

If Rodgers was this close to not playing for Green Bay in July 2021, he won't be any closer to changing his mind in the offseason of 2022.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

packman114 wrote:
Jaire is already included on ‘22 salary on 5th year option. 13.3 million estimate. Could actually save a few 22 bucks there with an extension for Ja.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I wanted Patrick Queen. Seems we are doing alright with Gute's approach. :)
Yoop wrote:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go wrote:
21 Oct 2021 06:43
That’s not how you internet.

You take the best guy picked after our slot and say that’s who you wanted. And when/if that person is no longer as good as someone else, you just pick someone different. But the real trick is you have to really believe you liked the better players more.

Bonus points if you never once mentioned a player you ‘always loved’.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
21 Oct 2021 07:05
go pak go wrote:
21 Oct 2021 06:43
That’s not how you internet.

You take the best guy picked after our slot and say that’s who you wanted. And when/if that person is no longer as good as someone else, you just pick someone different. But the real trick is you have to really believe you liked the better players more.

Bonus points if you never once mentioned a player you ‘always loved’.
Teach me the ways oh wise and merciful one!