Round 1 (26) - Jordan Love, QB Utah State

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Raptorman wrote:
24 Apr 2020 00:18
Wow, guys. Way to draft an impact player for this year. Now if he works out 3-4 years from now.............
lol! Love this snarkey one raptor! Well done. I see the Vikes checked the “proper” boxes tonight. But that never has been the way in GB. We will see what surprises occur in round 2.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I really think the Love pick locks Guty into picking an offensive skill guy, unless a Tackle is far away better than the board in round 2.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Gute was Murphy's guy who he hitched his wagon to. Tonight, Gute hitched his wagon to Love. If Love does not turn out to be a Pro Bowl QB, both should be gone. So far Gute seems in over his head.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

wallyuwl wrote:
24 Apr 2020 02:17
Gute was Murphy's guy who he hitched his wagon to. Tonight, Gute hitched his wagon to Love. If Love does not turn out to be a Pro Bowl QB, both should be gone. So far Gute seems in over his head.
The first thing after I thought "Youve gotta be $%@# kidding me this is the dumbest &%$@ ive ever seen in my life this guy is a moron" was what you just said. Either This regime lasts the next 10-15 years or they all crash and burn in 4. If Love looks bad after the Packers cut Rodgers in 2023 this regime is fired. If I was in charge of what happens to them I would chain them all together and enslave them to create a time machine in which they will use to go back and do right by Rodgers. They will work until theyre successful and if unsuccessful then I hope they die alone and sad.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

According to Gregg Bell,
John Schneider thought he had a deal with Packers to trade down. Packers got a better deal "at the last minute," JS said, from MIA. Packers quickly picked QB Jordan Love. #Seahawks suddenly/unexpectedly on the clock. No time to pull together another trade so picked Jordyn Brooks.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

So how does this make sense?

Situation #1. Rodgers was not doing what he was told to do last season. Instead of taking a short completion he was holding the ball to long and then either throwing it away or missing his receiver deep. Choosing a QB makes it very clear who is in charge and it ain't Rodgers any more. If this is the case and it improves the Packers' O, then this is a great pick even of Love never sees the field.

Situation #2. Because of age or possible nerve damage from the collarbone, Rodgers is incapable of leading the team to the SB. Maybe they were hoping a year ago that he would finally be healed but it never happened.

Either way, Rodgers is now on a very short leash and there is no doubt that LaFleur is totally in charge.

And for all of you who thought that all the team needed was another WR weapon for Rodgers, please think again.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I thought it was interesting, just listening to BG's conference call and he said that if there were a game-changing type of player at another position, they would have considered that player, but they didn't see that there were any such players, so they went with Love. It's around 7:15-7:30 of the video.

https://www.packers.com/video/packers-g ... m-decision

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

The Packers desperately need OT, DT, WR, ILB and have other obvious needs in depth. So, what do they do but move up to take a QB that could have been taken sitting where they were. When I woke up this morning to find out they did this I couldn't believe it. They lost a 4th round pick to take a questionable QB when they have so many other needs. What this tells me is that the team either does not have much confidence in Rodgers or Gutey is doing his best Al Davis imitation and has no plan whatsoever. I really wanted us to pick an OT, DT or ILB. I am disappointed!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Here are the picks around our pick of Love:

The teams who picked after we traded up and before our previous spot:
Hawks – LB Brooks
Ravens – ILB Queen
Titans – T Wilson
Dolphins – CB Igbinoghene

And the two teams who picked after our original #30 spot:
Vikes – CB Gladney
Chiefs – RB Edwards-Helaire

If we stayed at 30, we were not going to get Queen and/or Brooks. So, how did the Packers' board look at that point? They didn't see a 30 pick for Mims or apparently anybody else. Did they have no offers to trade back? Maybe not. But Love was a guy that Guty and MLF could believe in. So they took the shot. It isn't a lack of courage or data on their point.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

williewasgreat wrote:
24 Apr 2020 04:49
The Packers desperately need OT, DT, WR, ILB and have other obvious needs in depth. So, what do they do but move up to take a QB that could have been taken sitting where they were. When I woke up this morning to find out they did this I couldn't believe it. They lost a 4th round pick to take a questionable QB when they have so many other needs. What this tells me is that the team either does not have much confidence in Rodgers or Gutey is doing his best Al Davis imitation and has no plan whatsoever. I really wanted us to pick an OT, DT or ILB. I am disappointed!
Just have to trust Guty's board here. And the Packers weren't the only team trying to move up to get Love. The Colts were too. Maybe there were others. Green Bay actually had a call with Seattle's John Schneider that they cut off in order to pursue the trade with Miami. I'd say they acted with very high confidence.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Moving past the shock, let's look at some game tape of Love:

There's more here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1C3J ... -A6dw/edit

Freewheelingutey
Reactions:

Post by Freewheelingutey »

They had the next best ilb right in front of them! If the middle of this defense sucks again this year, they can start firing from that clown murphy all the way down to the towel boy!!

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

TheSkeptic wrote:
24 Apr 2020 03:10

Situation #1. Rodgers was not doing what he was told to do last season. Instead of taking a short completion he was holding the ball to long and then either throwing it away or missing his receiver deep. Choosing a QB makes it very clear who is in charge and it ain't Rodgers any more. If this is the case and it improves the Packers' O, then this is a great pick even of Love never sees the field.

Situation #2. Because of age or possible nerve damage from the collarbone, Rodgers is incapable of leading the team to the SB. Maybe they were hoping a year ago that he would finally be healed but it never happened.

Either way, Rodgers is now on a very short leash and there is no doubt that LaFleur is totally in charge.

And for all of you who thought that all the team needed was another WR weapon for Rodgers, please think again.
The Packers led the league last season in dropped passes. Considering Graham was useless, they didn’t have any other options at WR with Adams missing a quarter of the year, and it was year one in a new system I thought Rodgers did the best he could. He’s still one of the best in the league and I would argue if you swapped him with Mahommes he would do just as well. That guys has a surplus of weapons around him Rodgers hasn’t had since 2011.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Scott4Pack wrote:
24 Apr 2020 04:55
williewasgreat wrote:
Just have to trust Guty's board here. And the Packers weren't the only team trying to move up to get Love. The Colts were too. Maybe there were others. Green Bay actually had a call with Seattle's John Schneider that they cut off in order to pursue the trade with Miami. I'd say they acted with very high confidence.
Y’all trusted TTs board until it ran the team into the ground. Sometimes you need to use some foresight and look at what’s happening in front of your eyes.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
williewasgreat wrote:
obviously, they came right out and said it, they where also very confident with the Gary pick at slot 12 last year, confident I guess that he'd be a good little boy sitting on the bench, so now we have two players picked high that wont/didn't contribute there rookie year, wasted draft picks, specially when you consider that baring injury Gary will always be a rotating player for us, his whole stinking rookie contract, and now Guty does it again.

If I was Rodgers I'd demand a trade.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
24 Apr 2020 05:29
TheSkeptic wrote:
24 Apr 2020 03:10

The Packers led the league last season in dropped passes. Considering Graham was useless, they didn’t have any other options at WR with Adams missing a quarter of the year, and it was year one in a new system I thought Rodgers did the best he could. He’s still one of the best in the league and I would argue if you swapped him with Mahommes he would do just as well. That guys has a surplus of weapons around him Rodgers hasn’t had since 2011.
so true, I've been saying it for years now, but then people here wouldn't know what having more then just Devonte Adams would do for Rodgers because thats about all he's had to work with in 6 or 7 years, they seem to forget how good he was when he did, look at the potent offenses in this league, look at a few of the teams that took the receivers last night, they already had a few good receivers, thats what you have to do if ya want to be a explosive O.

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

Bottom line, in the NFL if you don't have a QB you're irrelevant. It's so far above any other position, that if you think you can get a legit one you take him.

And it's not like the Packers have been relying on their first round picks to make the playoffs the past few years. Sherrod, Perry, Datone, Randall, Haha, Gary have been a pretty mixed bag. I'm OK with using one on a guy who could be our next franchise QB.

We'll all feel a lot better after tonight when we've drafted a couple of new weapons for Rodgers in the rounds we historically do much better in.

Let's be honest, if there is any player that understands this move it's Rodgers himself. He is the guy that proved why you should draft a potentially great QB in the first even if you already have a HOF starter. You might disagree with the Packers that Love is a prospect with that potential but if they think he can be a franchise guy they are right to take him.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Apr 2020 00:54
What makes me sick is the niners were close to a ring and they used the draft to get BETTER. Gotta great WR and DL prospect for their system.

Vikings, nipping on our heels...got BETTER after losing diggs.

Packers...shot their QB a bird and didn’t improve at all on day one of the draft for the 2020 season.
Jesus, I hope you got all your tears out on your pillow last night. Did you pay attention to the offseason or just using last night to support your gripes?

The 49ers traded one of the best players on their team and replaced him with a nice prospect, but that in NO way makes them better this year. Yes, they got a WR, but they also lost the one they already had and failed to get one of the big 3.

MN? You think Justin Jefferson is better than Stefon Diggs? They lost Everson Griffin, Diggs, their OL still sucks, they lost top-3 CB's. How, exactly, did they get better?

Read More. Post Less.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Apr 2020 00:54
What makes me sick is the niners were close to a ring and they used the draft to get BETTER. Gotta great WR and DL prospect for their system.

Vikings, nipping on our heels...got BETTER after losing diggs.

Packers...shot their QB a bird and didn’t improve at all on day one of the draft for the 2020 season.
Take a deep breath and relax. The Vikings resigned Cousins, they did not get better.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

lupedafiasco wrote:
24 Apr 2020 05:30
Scott4Pack wrote:
williewasgreat wrote:
Y’all trusted TTs board until it ran the team into the ground. Sometimes you need to use some foresight and look at what’s happening in front of your eyes.
I was around when our team was run into the ground back around 2000 or so. Mike Sherman ran the team into the ground. He let all sorts of talent through his fingertips. There was a giant sucking sound from all the talent that left. Ted didn't. We could make a real good case that our team went downhill as much from McCarthy losing motivation as anything. And that's real too.

Anyhow, Guty has made numerous great choices, in and out of the draft. But he makes this one on one pick and y'all are jacked up. I suppose you will be until Love QBs the Packers into the Super Bowl in 7 or 8 years. And maybe you won't relent on this subject before then. But then, that's the same type of thing that Aaron Rodgers had to live with. I remember Steve Young dealing with it too, and he had already been an established QB.