Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

BSA wrote:
11 Mar 2023 11:55
vikings announced the passing of LEGEND Bud Grant today - age 95

What an amazing coach and contributor to the NFL and CFL. True football legend

Grant does not get enough credit. He was a fantastic coach. I really think that without him and that D that Tarkenton would’ve been a very average QB.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

BSA wrote:

Most people don’t know the Bud had two NBA championship rings as a player with the Lakers.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Raptorman wrote:
11 Mar 2023 19:53
BSA wrote:

Most people don’t know the Bud had two NBA championship rings as a player with the Lakers.
Didn’t know that, but not surprising I guess.

If you are aware the Lakers of Los Angeles originated somewhere else. Somewhere perhaps known for ‘lakes’

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

BF004 wrote:
11 Mar 2023 20:06
Raptorman wrote:
BSA wrote:

If you are aware the Lakers of Los Angeles originated somewhere else. Somewhere perhaps known for ‘lakes’
Why do you think they have the same colors as the Vikings? Some people have never made the connection.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Raptorman wrote:
11 Mar 2023 20:35
BF004 wrote:
11 Mar 2023 20:06
Raptorman wrote:

Why do you think they have the same colors as the Vikings? Some people have never made the connection.
for good reason, actually it doesn't seem that they had anything in common :lol:

It was Hubenthal -- not a Vikings employee, not a Minnesota design firm, not the NFL Properties office -- who designed the Norseman logo and the team's original uniform set, including the distinctive horned helmet. Per Rose's instruction, Hubenthal executed the designs in purple and gold. Why those colors? Because those are the colors of the University of Washington, where Rose had attended college. So with the L.A. and Washington connections, the look of this quintessentially midwestern team had strong West Coast roots.

We know all of this because Hubenthal saved his original sketches of the uniform and logo, had them framed, and hung them on his office wall for many years. On the back of the frame he inscribed a note: "I designed the [Vikings'] uniform, helmet, and trademark logo at the request of Bert Rose, the first general manager of the new franchise, and Norm Van Brocklin, their first coach.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/214 ... -minnesota

I remember reading this stuff years ago, anyway RIP to the Great Bud Grant.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Dolphins get Jalen Ramsey for a 3rd rounder and depth TE.

I'd say a good deal for the Dolphins, and admission by the Rams that they don't expect to contend soon.
The Rams and Dolphins have agreed to a trade that will send Ramsey to Miami and send Hunter Long and the Dolphins’ 2023 third-round pick (No. 77 overall) to Los Angeles, according to multiple reports.

The trade cannot become official until the new league year begins on Wednesday, but both teams have agreed to do it.

Ramsey is still playing at a high level, but his massive salary cap hit and the Rams’ precarious cap situation made the Rams eager to trade him. Ramsey has a $17 million base salary for 2023. The trade will save the Rams $5.6 million in cap space this year [but $19.6 million in dead money].

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

salmar80 wrote:
12 Mar 2023 14:08
I'd say a good deal for the Dolphins, and admission by the Rams that they don't expect to contend soon.
Correct on both and add one more -> Jalen Ramsey was rumbling about needing a new deal. So off he goes.
IT. IS. TIME

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

salmar80 wrote:

The Rams and Dolphins have agreed to a trade that will send Ramsey to Miami and send Hunter Long and the Dolphins’ 2023 third-round pick (No. 77 overall) to Los Angeles, according to multiple reports.

The trade cannot become official until the new league year begins on Wednesday, but both teams have agreed to do it.

Ramsey is still playing at a high level, but his massive salary cap hit and the Rams’ precarious cap situation made the Rams eager to trade him. Ramsey has a $17 million base salary for 2023. The trade will save the Rams $5.6 million in cap space this year [but $19.6 million in dead money].
Should remember deals like this every time somebody wants the Pack to over extend in the FA market.
:-)

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Scott4Pack wrote:
12 Mar 2023 15:38
salmar80 wrote:

Should remember deals like this every time somebody wants the Pack to over extend in the FA market.
Are you talking about "this" trade or the one the Rams made to get him in the first

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Half Empty wrote:
13 Mar 2023 09:27
Scott4Pack wrote:
12 Mar 2023 15:38
salmar80 wrote:

Are you talking about "this" trade or the one the Rams made to get him in the first
I am talking specifically about the PackerNation. Not that our fan base is the only one…

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Patrick Peterson to the Steelers. I’m mildly surprised.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Scott4Pack wrote:
13 Mar 2023 15:50
Patrick Peterson to the Steelers. I’m mildly surprised.
Let's keep these tamper period FA agreements in the specific thread created for it. That way it's a one-stop info upload for everybody. :aok:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

BF004 wrote:
13 Mar 2023 16:14
Not sure that I understand unless that’s about 17 going to Raiders because Carr was still young(ish). And now that he’s gone…

Is there something else behind that message?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Lol

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Scott4Pack wrote:
13 Mar 2023 16:18
BF004 wrote:
Not sure that I understand unless that’s about 17 going to Raiders because Carr was still young(ish). And now that he’s gone…

He left GB because he didn’t know when the Packers would move on from Rodgers. Ironically he went to the Raiders who moved on from Carr and now they sign Jimmy G who is the ultimate bridge QB.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

lupedafiasco wrote:
13 Mar 2023 16:35
Scott4Pack wrote:
13 Mar 2023 16:18
BF004 wrote:

He left GB because he didn’t know when the Packers would move on from Rodgers. Ironically he went to the Raiders who moved on from Carr and now they sign Jimmy G who is the ultimate bridge QB.
Given the tweet that Tae shared about 3 weeks, I’d think there’s also something else.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Scott4Pack wrote:
13 Mar 2023 16:59
Given the tweet that Tae shared about 3 weeks, I’d think there’s also something else.
I took that as "if you're my actual friend, let's chat; if you're not someone in my circle (haven't talked to me in about 3 weeks) don't come at me asking about Carr and Jimmy G and Rodgers on the first day of free agency"

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Tae just clarified. Seems like he’s good to go now.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I've heard that the Broncos think Tim Patrick is possibly their best WR. If that's the case, this news makes sense.

Multiple sources reporting similar things, but say asking price is high--not dumping guys for the sake of it.

Hamler and Jeudy are on the final years of their rookie contracts, but Jeudy has a 5th year option at $13 million.

Sutton has 3 years left at $13-14 million apiece, which would certainly lower the draft compensation required, I'd imagine.

Sounds like the pats are working this angle. Not sure if we should. I'd like Jeudy for a 2nd but don't think we have the space to take on Sutton. Jeudy likely would want a new deal soon, but with the 5th year option picked up you can buy a bit of time.