Thanksgiving Postgame: Packers 29 Lions 22

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

musclestang wrote:
27 Nov 2023 11:28
if you have a base 3 DL and 2 OLB's who are on the LOS it is not a blitz. It has nothing to do with the "number" and everything to do with alignment and where people come from.
It has everything to do with the number. 4 is your standard pass rush, anything more is a blitz. If the 4-3 MLB rushes the passer and the DE drops into coverage, is that a blitz? No, it's still a normal pass rush albeit a stunt.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Nov 2023 11:56
musclestang wrote:
if you have a base 3 DL and 2 OLB's who are on the LOS it is not a blitz. It has nothing to do with the "number" and everything to do with alignment and where people come from.
It has everything to do with the number. 4 is your standard pass rush, anything more is a blitz. If the 4-3 MLB rushes the passer and the DE drops into coverage, is that a blitz? No, it's still a normal pass rush.
thats referred to as stunt, which is in the same class as a off ball rusher, why? because the switch is post snap, when the switch happens pre snap, your right it's just a 4 man rush

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
27 Nov 2023 11:59
Pckfn23 wrote:
musclestang wrote:
It has everything to do with the number. 4 is your standard pass rush, anything more is a blitz. If the 4-3 MLB rushes the passer and the DE drops into coverage, is that a blitz? No, it's still a normal pass rush.
thats referred to as stunt, which is in the same class as a off ball rusher, why? because the switch is post snap, when the switch happens pre snap, your right it's just a 4 man rush
That's what I said! I agree, a stunt, not a blitz.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

nerds
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Nov 2023 12:01
Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

but you didn't say that did you, same BS with the blitz, you disagree just to argue then blame me for arguing, off ball rushers are blitzers and stunters, on ball rushers are just rushers.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
27 Nov 2023 12:18
Pckfn23 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

but you didn't say that did you, same BS with the blitz, you disagree just to argue then blame me for arguing, off ball rushers are blitzers and stunters, on ball rushers are just rushers.
But I did say that...
Pckfn23 wrote:
If the 4-3 MLB rushes the passer and the DE drops into coverage, is that a blitz? No, it's still a normal pass rush albeit a stunt.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Function, not number. It’s not that number means nothing, but it’s not the definition either.

Put everyone on the line, it’s a goal line stand and not a blitz

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Nov 2023 12:35
Yoop wrote:
27 Nov 2023 12:18
Pckfn23 wrote:

But I did say that...
Pckfn23 wrote:
If the 4-3 MLB rushes the passer and the DE drops into coverage, is that a blitz? No, it's still a normal pass rush albeit a stunt.
what does MLB or 4-3 have to do with any of this, again is your goal to make comments harder to understand? you (and others here) buy into anything media says, when they say a 5 man rush is a blitz it confuses more then it describes, because that is not what a blitz tends to be described as which is rushing the QB from a off ball position, whether it's a DB or a off ball lber

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I am not saying anything the media is saying...

You yourself said my scenario was a stunt. Why the MLB is used is because they are an off the line player. In the scenario it is 4 players rushing, a stunt, not a blitz.

How is saying a blitz is rushing the passer with 5+ players confusing???

That is exactly what a blitz is described as.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Labrev wrote:
26 Nov 2023 21:13

Stawrt. Hiym.

As an aside, the play where the DB fell on Watson and they said "legs got tangled up" ... no, that's 1000% PI.
I didn't notice it from the TV angle, but Love got punched on the side of the helmet on that first play
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Nov 2023 12:54

never heard a blitz described as a los pass rusher, now all of a sudden thats what we hear, some sports announcer said it now I suppose they all do, but it is non descriptive to me, tells me nothing more then the defense rushed 5, and I never said the word confusing, how would it be confusing? quit changing the meaning of my comments.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
27 Nov 2023 13:03
Labrev wrote:

Stawrt. Hiym.

As an aside, the play where the DB fell on Watson and they said "legs got tangled up" ... no, that's 1000% PI.
I didn't notice it from the TV angle, but Love got punched on the side of the helmet on that first play
I saw it, the ref saw it, no flag, maybe he felt it wasn't malicious enough or didn't affect Love, but it was still a hit to the head/helmet.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
Labrev wrote:

Stawrt. Hiym.

I would have been okay with the no DPI call as long as they were consistent. But not calling DPI on Watson but then calling DPI on Walker and Illegal Contact on McDuffie on key 3rd downs where the penalty didn't do anything was frustrating.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Nov 2023 12:54

never heard a blitz described as a los pass rusher, now all of a sudden thats what we hear, some sports announcer said it now I suppose they all do, but it is non descriptive to me, tells me nothing more then the defense rushed 5, and I never said the word confusing, how would it be confusing? quit changing the meaning of my comments.
Again:

Blitz = More than 4 pass rushers, when the called play is pass rush.

Not blitz = 4 or less pass rushers, when it's a pass.

Prevent = 3 or less pass rushers when assuming pass

What is not a blitz:
- 4 or less pass rushers when pass rushing
- Any number or defenders at LOS when not pass rushing. For example, all running downs and goal line.

You count EVERY play when there's 5 guys lined up at LoS as a blitz. That's utter nonsense, since the 5 DL group is mainly there to stop the run. Not as a blitzing group.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I literally have no idea why some of these arguments are so important to some of you.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

It's important to know what we are seeing, thats why it matters.
we all see a blitzing off ball player pinch up towards the line hoping to get a free run to the QB, that is easily recognizable, whats confusing is when all 5 are on the LOS and it's called blitzing because it simply looks like a 3-4 base front, since I've never heard it mentioned that way I investigated it, as can be seen in pictures provided, blitzers tend to creep up to the line rather then pre set on it

https://www.viqtorysports.com/what-is-a ... 20a%20game.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Yoop wrote:
28 Nov 2023 08:22
we all see a blitzing off ball player pinch up towards the line hoping to get a free run to the QB, that is easily recognizable, whats confusing is when all 5 are on the LOS and it's called blitzing because it simply looks like a 3-4 base front, since I've never heard it mentioned that way I investigated it, as can be seen in pictures provided, blitzers tend to creep up to the line rather then pre set on it

It isn't how they line up, it's how they function Yoop. 5 man front is just that, a front, a look. Preston smith drops back to cover the flat off the line and 4 rush, not a blitz (assuming nobody off the ball rushes the passer, which would then bring it back up to five, and a blitz. Players creep up to the line presnap, doesn't matter, where do they go once the ball is snapped and the QB drops back.

This argument reminds of the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Madcity_matt wrote:
28 Nov 2023 09:55
Yoop wrote:
28 Nov 2023 08:22

It isn't how they line up, it's how they function Yoop. 5 man front is just that, a front, a look. Preston smith drops back to cover the flat off the line and 4 rush, not a blitz (assuming nobody off the ball rushes the passer, which would then bring it back up to five, and a blitz. Players creep up to the line presnap, doesn't matter, where do they go once the ball is snapped and the QB drops back.

This argument reminds of the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.
sorry I goofed up the quoting

Mod edit: fixed

I understand What your saying Matt, imho the word Blitz just doesn't describe a 5 man rush when all 5 are pre set on the LOS, your right it's a front normally seen in a base 34 front, and unless one guy drops it's called a blitz,( weird) it differs from what I've always considered a blitz to be, which is a off the los player creeping up hoping to beat any blocker and become a free rusher, which imo and that article I just brought is the goal of blitzing in the first place, a unimpeded path to the QB.

to me a 5 man rush from mostly DL players is just a heavy rush package, for about 7 decades I've thought this, now it seems all the vernacular has changed, and I'am having trouble keeping up, actually I'am not so sure I want to :lol:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »