2020 General Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Chilli wrote:
19 Apr 2020 05:53
Another name has cropped up that I feel could be a good fit for our offensive system. Darrynton Evans. He plays very naturally and has very good game speed. He has shown he can wait for holes to open up and he can cut in and quickly run up the field and he has enough shiftiness to work his way through traffic too. He has also shown he is capable of receiving passes and turning them into positive gains. He got tools that we can work with.
Agreed!The size bugs me a little, but he's got some great traits.

I mentioned him in my slapped-together "RAS" mock a few pages back where I tried to maximize the pure athleticism of our picks at need positions. If we're in the 6th looking for a potential fit with some umph, he's as good a bet as anyone.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004 wrote:
18 Apr 2020 17:17

Just want to make sure it is very clear I want to boisterously state I am in the don’t draft a QB club.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

I'm pretty stoked about this year's draft. Granted, I haven't been following at all, I mean I can literally name one player, and last name only (Tua). But, the broadcast hopefully will be absent the dumb pick announcements that were always way behind and not entertaining at all.

And props on the site, this place is great. A huge upgrade in the same classic form.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004 wrote:
19 Apr 2020 13:39
BF004 wrote:
18 Apr 2020 17:17
Just want to make sure it is very clear I want to boisterously state I am in the don’t draft a QB club.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

I doubt any GM pays any heed to prospects' home-made Pro Day videos.

Without controlled conditions and true monitoring, folks can more or less subtly shave critical tenths of a second off their times. I'd personally run my 40 in a ripping tailwind and then speed up the frame rate a tad...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -pro-days/

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

salmar80 wrote:
20 Apr 2020 10:24

Without controlled conditions and true monitoring, folks can more or less subtly shave critical tenths of a second off their times. I'd personally run my 40 in a ripping tailwind and then speed up the frame rate a tad...

Yeah, even though I have no doubt in the caliber of athlete Jalen Reagor is, and his onfield play both looked and was timed faster than his combine speed (somewhere there's a CBS article with on-field MPH ratings of the WR class in which Reagor was second only to Ruggs), even then when Reagor posted his pro day, it evoked a good laugh from me. Watching a 3-cone or short shuttle can help; but the stopwatch?

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
20 Apr 2020 10:53
salmar80 wrote:

Yeah, even though I have no doubt in the caliber of athlete Jalen Reagor is, and his onfield play both looked and was timed faster than his combine speed (somewhere there's a CBS article with on-field MPH ratings of the WR class in which Reagor was second only to Ruggs), even then when Reagor posted his pro day, it evoked a good laugh from me. Watching a 3-cone or short shuttle can help; but the stopwatch?
Reagor’s pro day he was 10ish pounds lighter. Could have bumped his 40 time a bit.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

My board from last year

Gotta say always nice to double check, absolutely do not remember giving Hakeem Butler a first round grade. Thought he was a boom or bust kind of guy who needed a lot of work, but I really liked him a lot and must have really thought he could reach that potential.

Will be really interesting to see if he can do anything after spending the year on IR in Arizona.

Glad I had McLaurin listed 2nd in my 2nd round tier, I often like guys like that but get too afraid to rank them where I really want to.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
20 Apr 2020 15:02
YoHoChecko wrote:
20 Apr 2020 10:53
salmar80 wrote:

Reagor’s pro day he was 10ish pounds lighter. Could have bumped his 40 time a bit.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

For Reagor, 4.47 is still plenty fast for a WR, but I think we all know that isn't his game speed.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

So what is your gut telling you for pick #30?

Whenever I picture that, I always keep coming back to Brandon Aiyuk. My brain kind of tells me no, sub 6 feet, 4.5 40 (although looks plenty fast on tape), very good athlete, big hands, long arms, elite jumping.

I feel like Denzel Mims logically makes the most sense (value, rank, need, size, athleticism).

I wouldn't be upset with either.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
21 Apr 2020 08:22
I don't know about at 30, but I have come full circle on Laviska Shenault. I definitely like him better than Aiyuk. Shenault just seems smoother all the way around. Raegor is the guy I would take at 30, though, if he is still there.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:

Whenever I picture that, I always keep coming back to Brandon Aiyuk. My brain kind of tells me no, sub 6 feet, 4.5 40 (although looks plenty fast on tape), very good athlete, big hands, long arms, elite jumping.

I feel like Denzel Mims logically makes the most sense (value, rank, need, size, athleticism).

My gut feeling right now is WR, whoever that may be. My brain tells me ILB and T comes into play too. I really can't envision us taking any other position with our first pick.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

BF004 wrote:

My gut tells me trade down, and failing that, a non-WR at 30 (whichever position sees a player falling). Followed by a trade up in 2nd for a WR.

My guts' logic (yes, my guts have brainz) is that there are positions with steeper drop in talent than at WR.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Packersnews.com's Silverstein had a "bright" idea to suggest seniors would be at a premium in this draft, because of limited practice time making the transition harder. https://packersnews.com/story/sports/nf ... 166880002/

While there's some surface-level logic to it, apart from the tippy top of R1, no prospects are near to being finished products, not even seniors, and no team thinks of draft picks in terms of one year only.

While I applaud Silverstein for a novel idea, I doubt preferring seniors even enters GMs' minds at all.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Reading the nfl.com scouting report for Joe Burrow. I noticed one of his weaknesses is "below-average arm strength and average release quickness." If this is true, that is a weakness that carries significant weight IMO. I can't name a whole lot of great QB's who couldn't sling it. Maybe Peyton? I'm not a Burrow hater, but arm strength is not something a #1 prospect should be lacking.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Captain_Ben wrote:
21 Apr 2020 13:37
Reading the nfl.com scouting report for Joe Burrow. I noticed one of his weaknesses is "below-average arm strength and average release quickness." If this is true, that is a weakness that carries significant weight IMO. I can't name a whole lot of great QB's who couldn't sling it. Maybe Peyton? I'm not a Burrow hater, but arm strength is not something a #1 prospect should be lacking.
Oh I disagree about arm strength. Release quickness, maybe, but arm strength that is capable but not top notch describes Manning, Luck, Brady, Montana, Chad Pennington... meanwhile, guys who get drafted in the first for elite arms often fail because they lack the anticipation and processing ability of those I just listed. If you can throw an NFL deep out, you have enough arm strength to win Super Bowls.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Apr 2020 13:46
Captain_Ben wrote:
Oh I disagree about arm strength. Release quickness, maybe, but arm strength that is capable but not top notch describes Manning, Luck, Brady, Montana, Chad Pennington... meanwhile, guys who get drafted in the first for elite arms often fail because they lack the anticipation and processing ability of those I just listed. If you can throw an NFL deep out, you have enough arm strength to win Super Bowls.
I guess the words "below average" didn't sit well with me. Maybe I'm reading a bit too much into it.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Apr 2020 13:46
Captain_Ben wrote:
Accuracy and finding the open man is more important than having a cannon and trusting that cannon to throw into traffic. Burrow shocked me in those bowl games.