Aaron Freaking Rodgers

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

If Rodgers plays like this then there is no reason for Love to ever see the field. I was pretty happy when we drafted Love, not because I liked him, but because I figured there was a good chance it would give Aaron a kick in the ass and it appears to have done just that. Easily worth wasting a 1st if it means you get your GOAT QB back.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

the Love pick cost us this guy, water over the bridge now, but if we can move up to slot 21 for a safety, we sure as &%$@ could/should have moved to that slot for a producer like Jefferson.

https://www.dailypress.net/sports/local ... -the-best/

the first part is about Jefferson, my fav pick last draft, the rest is about Minny, just to warn ya ;)

Justin Jefferson surpassed 1,000 yards receiving on a 20-yard touchdown reception in Sunday’s 27-24 overtime win against Jacksonville and now has 1,039 yards on 61 receptions with seven touchdowns.

Ervin on steroids, Jefferson matched with Adams would have helped Rodgers become even more dominate, the best way to help our defense is to keep it on the side lines

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
09 Dec 2020 06:49
the Love pick cost us this guy, water over the bridge now, but if we can move up to slot 21 for a safety, we sure as &%$@ could/should have moved to that slot for a producer like Jefferson.

the first part is about Jefferson, my fav pick last draft, the rest is about Minny, just to warn ya ;)

Justin Jefferson surpassed 1,000 yards receiving on a 20-yard touchdown reception in Sunday’s 27-24 overtime win against Jacksonville and now has 1,039 yards on 61 receptions with seven touchdowns.

Ervin on steroids, Jefferson matched with Adams would have helped Rodgers become even more dominate, the best way to help our defense is to keep it on the side lines
Basically the Minnesota Vikings is comprised of this boards' draft 1st/2nd round crushes since 2014.

It's incredibly irritating.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
09 Dec 2020 07:43
Yoop wrote:

Basically the Minnesota Vikings is comprised of this boards' draft 1st/2nd round crushes since 2014.

so are conspiracy theory's like we drafted freaking Love to give Rodgers incentive to play the way he has, as though these new schemes aren't exciting enough to do so or the chance to win another SB.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
09 Dec 2020 08:08
go pak go wrote:
09 Dec 2020 07:43
Yoop wrote:

so are conspiracy theory's like we drafted freaking Love to give Rodgers incentive to play the way he has, as though these new schemes aren't exciting enough to do so or the chance to win another SB.
Yeah that's just a lazy national media narrative to create a story line. I mean there is probably some truth to it because we are human, but I think Rodgers truly doesn't care about that stuff that much. He is that mature of a person.

I just like to instead say that Rodgers is brilliant. Rodgers is in a good place and the marriage with MLF is awesome. Like his play gives us a real shot.

I am just so proud of Aaron Rodgers this year.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I stand firmly by the fact that once the decision to draft Love was made (which I didn't, well, love; but I also didn't hate, and I had toyed with mocks having us pick a Rd 1 QB, myself)...

...it should be treated as a non-story for at least 2 years--the two years in which Rodgers is tied to us financially and is expected to play.

I'll be ready to have conversations about how to work that transition in the offseason between '21 and '22 seasons. Before that, it's just a bunch of people writing the narratives they want and fitting reality to them and ginning up theories.

Jordan Love was drafted to hopefully be the heir apparent. But Rodgers' contract was reworked to ensure he'd be here for at least 20 and 21, if not probably 22.

It's simply not a story. You can like or dislike the choice to spend a nice draft pick on the future of the franchise. But as to how it affects the team or when we should expect to see Love or if we're moving on from Rodgers? It's all still at least 14 months away from relevance. Just a bunch of people looking for something to say.

In my mind, we have plenty to say about the current season and Rodgers and none of that has anything to do with Love. QB or not in the draft, everyone said when we hired MLF that we were excited to see Rodgers in year 2. We mapped it to Matt Ryan and how he took such a leap in the system to MVP caliber in year two.

This was always the plan. If the right player had fallen, we probably would have nabbed him instead of Love. But he didn't, and now we have the potential future in house. And the longer we wait to see him, the more likely it is that he's ready for that job, quite honestly.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

This was my on the record take before this draft.
BF004 wrote:
23 Apr 2020 09:16
I’ll pretty much only be disappointed if we take a QB, TE, RB or edge.

Granted that was in regards to just round 1, but that was our first 4 rounds. :bkw:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
09 Dec 2020 08:52
This was my on the record take before this draft.
BF004 wrote:
23 Apr 2020 09:16
I’ll pretty much only be disappointed if we take a QB, TE, RB or edge.
Granted that was in regards to just round 1, but that was our first 4 rounds. :bkw:
Honestly that's hilarious.

Meanwhile, as the second round pick approached, I posted "OMG what if we draft AJ Dillon" and I put Josiah Deguara and Jon Runyan Jr on my list of "five guys I most want us to draft" so I obviously have some positive bias about this year's draft class. And I still expect time to show it was a good haul.

Heck, I was considering EASON as our potential surprise QB pick. Much happier to have Love, tbh.

But I do think our expectations for rookie impacts need to be lowered considering how sparsely we use them.
Two years of evidence now indicate that MLF puts rookies in when he needs to, but he rarely wants to.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yes, Darnell Savage is the only rookie who has been pencilled in as a starter going into TC.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

We are also though at a point where Brian G's draft status of players are not panning if they don't play and have an immediate role.

The following Draft picks are currently Brian G successes:

1. Jaire Alexander - started as rookie
2. Elgton Jenkins - started as rookie
3. Darnell Savage - started as rookie

The following Draft picks are currently ones who have legitimate hope but so far not huge contribution

1. Rashan Gary - did not start as rookie
2. MVS - did not start as rookie
3. Kamal Martin - probably would have started as rookie
4. Kingsley Keke - did not play much at all rookie year

Obviously this is an unfair list because Brian has only had 3 drafts. The Gary, MVS and Keke picks can really turn my theory up on its head quickly. But it is also interesting that Brian's best picks so far have all been rookie starters and all looked like they belonged once they got to GB (Savage being the most raw and jury still out)

The only player I believe who looked fantastic in camp his rookie year and played a lot as a rookie to now looking like a bust is Josh Jackson.
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
09 Dec 2020 09:29
We are also though at a point where Brian G's draft status of players are not panning if they don't play and have an immediate role.

Obviously this is an unfair list because Brian has only had 3 drafts.
Yeah, you shot down your own theory as well as I could.

How do you evaluate the developmental aspect of draft classes midway through year 3 of a couple players, year 2 of a couple players, and year one of a few players?

Not to be rude, but it's not even worth the post to say "if they didn't play right away, they haven't panned out" 2.5 years into a a new GM's tenure.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Dec 2020 09:35
go pak go wrote:
09 Dec 2020 09:29

Obviously this is an unfair list because Brian has only had 3 drafts.
Yeah, you shot down your own theory as well as I could.

How do you evaluate the developmental aspect of draft classes midway through year 3 of a couple players, year 2 of a couple players, and year one of a few players?

Not to be rude, but it's not even worth the post to say "if they didn't play right away, they haven't panned out" 2.5 years into a a new GM's tenure.
:lol: :lol:

Yeah I definitely got that vibe when I started to name the 4 players in the ascending category that it is far too early.

Something to monitor. I hope Keke, MVS, Martin and Gary give my post a large middle finger.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Dec 2020 08:39
I stand firmly by the fact that once the decision to draft Love was made (which I didn't, well, love; but I also didn't hate, and I had toyed with mocks having us pick a Rd 1 QB, myself)...

...it should be treated as a non-story for at least 2 years--the two years in which Rodgers is tied to us financially and is expected to play.

I'll be ready to have conversations about how to work that transition in the offseason between '21 and '22 seasons. Before that, it's just a bunch of people writing the narratives they want and fitting reality to them and ginning up theories.

Jordan Love was drafted to hopefully be the heir apparent. But Rodgers' contract was reworked to ensure he'd be here for at least 20 and 21, if not probably 22.

It's simply not a story. You can like or dislike the choice to spend a nice draft pick on the future of the franchise. But as to how it affects the team or when we should expect to see Love or if we're moving on from Rodgers? It's all still at least 14 months away from relevance. Just a bunch of people looking for something to say.

In my mind, we have plenty to say about the current season and Rodgers and none of that has anything to do with Love. QB or not in the draft, everyone said when we hired MLF that we were excited to see Rodgers in year 2. We mapped it to Matt Ryan and how he took such a leap in the system to MVP caliber in year two.

This was always the plan. If the right player had fallen, we probably would have nabbed him instead of Love. But he didn't, and now we have the potential future in house. And the longer we wait to see him, the more likely it is that he's ready for that job, quite honestly.
I hated the pick, we could have waited two years to pick a QB, and as I said if we can move up for Love we can also move up for Jefferson, both you and I felt of the top for or 5 receivers he was the most likely to be in movable range, and now look how he has become Minny most explosive receiver, just imagine him running the jet sweeps and pre snap motion for us versus Ervin, granted Ervin has been great when healthy, but he is n't near as athletic, imo any way you slice it not moving up enough to get him was a huge fail

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
09 Dec 2020 09:42
I hated the pick, we could have waited two years to pick a QB, and as I said if we can move up for Love we can also move up for Jefferson, both you and I felt of the top for or 5 receivers he was the most likely to be in movable range, and now look how he has become Minny most explosive receiver, just imagine him running the jet sweeps and pre snap motion for us versus Ervin, granted Ervin has been great when healthy, but he is n't near as athletic, imo any way you slice it not moving up enough to get him was a huge fail
We know you did, yoop. And you're not alone. A LOT of people hated it. MOST people hated it.

I guess my point is that, well, we had an offseason to sort of cope with the fact that a pick was made that won't help us this year (even though the vast majority of picks won't/wouldn't help immediately, but you have a favorite and that's ok).

But once you deal with that, like, there's no point in thinking about it anymore. There's no point in asking when we'll see him or how he's doing. There's no point in talking about when/if we move on from Rodgers... AS IT PERTAINS TO THIS SEASON (or even next season).

Now, he is a sunk cost. A staple He exists on our team and he has and will have no bearing on our team success this year. So I get frustrated when he's brought up in the middle of a 9-3 season of given any sort of credit for Rodgers playing well. It's all silly. We drafted a guy with the known purpose of developing him over at least 2 years. That's what we did. You can like the choice or not. But it's done and now he's just not a relevant storyline or piece to our short-term team success puzzle.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Dec 2020 09:51
We know you did, yoop. And you're not alone. A LOT of people hated it. MOST people hated it.

I guess my point is that, well, we had an offseason to sort of cope with the fact that a pick was made that won't help us this year (even though the vast majority of picks won't/wouldn't help immediately, but you have a favorite and that's ok).

But once you deal with that, like, there's no point in thinking about it anymore. There's no point in asking when we'll see him or how he's doing. There's no point in talking about when/if we move on from Rodgers... AS IT PERTAINS TO THIS SEASON (or even next season).

Now, he is a sunk cost. A staple He exists on our team and he has and will have no bearing on our team success this year. So I get frustrated when he's brought up in the middle of a 9-3 season of given any sort of credit for Rodgers playing well. It's all silly. We drafted a guy with the known purpose of developing him over at least 2 years. That's what we did. You can like the choice or not. But it's done and now he's just not a relevant storyline or piece to our short-term team success puzzle.

Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Dec 2020 09:51
Yoop wrote:
09 Dec 2020 09:42

:bigcry: :waiting: time is flying by,I would have went all in to win now, course we are so my complaints fall on deaf ears, mostly just sick and tired of people spouting this nonsense that Rodgers needed outside motivation to play as he is now, the guy has wanted to do what he is now for years, he even said as much 3 years ago.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
09 Dec 2020 10:20
time is flying by,I would have went all in to win now, course we are so my complaints fall on deaf ears, mostly just sick and tired of people spouting this nonsense that Rodgers needed outside motivation to play as he is now, the guy has wanted to do what he is now for years, he even said as much 3 years ago.
First of all, TOTALLY agree that narratives that Rodgers needs outside motivation are silly. He does utilize chips and whatnot, hostorically, but any and all evidence as to Rodgers' state of mind and playing improvement points to a massive leap in his understanding of the system (and thus his buy-in), as he and MLF and Hackett have really gotten on the same page... and 2) a more zen mentality to life, rather than an angrier mentality. Everyone kept talking about Rodgers in revenge mode, but EVERY piece of evidence says this is actually how Rodgers plays and acts and interacts when he's HAPPY not when he's ANGRY.

Second of all, I guess the point I'm trying to make is that in the 2019 offseason and season, the team DID go all-in for the next 4 years. They totally revamped the roster, got a HC who could get Rodgers involved in modern NFL offenses, drafted for the short and medium-term (Gary and Sterny more development; Savage and Jenkins more immediate).

And this offseason, while they had less resources to work with, still went about plugging known holes by adding Kirksey, albeit with less success.

The team opened a big window last year. And now, as they continue to draft for the entirety of the 4-year rookie contract window, rather than for the immediate year, we are building something sustainable for the now and the later; not one or the other.

You don't go "all-in" every year with your offseason moves. That just bankrupts you. You got "all in" for a window. And then supplement it.

I know we all wanted more receiver talent, but we have the league's #1 offense even with tons of injuries keeping our weapons out for fits and starts. We continued to explore opportunities throughout the season in the past two years, adding Ervin to solve our punt return issues, Austin to solve our Ervin injury issues, negotiating with Snacks, who openly chose against us, negotiating with the Texans for a trade, even though they wanted too much for a guy who ended up suspended 2 weeks later anyway. We're still claiming/adding players we liked in college evaluation like Rush and Nauta.

We're not sacrificing right now. We're building a sustainable contender under the assumption that our draft classes will help over the life of their deals, not necessarily in year one. That means fewer rookie mistakes, fewer limitations on play calling, more year-to-year continuity, more of a "the best man gets it not the highest draft pick" mentality in camp and practice.

These aren't all-or-nothing tradeoffs. We're getting some of A and some of B and anyone who doesn't think we're trying to win right now is thus operating under the assumption that we're a very good football team who is lucky enough to keep winning without really trying to? Madness. We're winning right now because we're trying to win right now. And we're winning right now because over the past couple of years we have added guys who might not have been difference-makers at the time, but who we counted on to contribute before their time with us is up, like Tonyan and Lazard and Lucas Patrick and Boyle and Greene and Sullivan.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Dec 2020 10:37
First of all, TOTALLY agree that narratives that Rodgers needs outside motivation are silly. He does utilize chips and whatnot, hostorically, but any and all evidence as to Rodgers' state of mind and playing improvement points to a massive leap in his understanding of the system (and thus his buy-in), as he and MLF and Hackett have really gotten on the same page... and 2) a more zen mentality to life, rather than an angrier mentality. Everyone kept talking about Rodgers in revenge mode, but EVERY piece of evidence says this is actually how Rodgers plays and acts and interacts when he's HAPPY not when he's ANGRY.
nice interpretation of Packer managements plan, obviously ya can't just build for the present, however I would have done a few things differently.

I think Rodgers anger centered around the lack of talent to make McCarthy's old schemes work, and not being consulted prior to the Lafluer hiring, either way he is well passed that now, loves MLF's offense, and has devoted himself to making it work just as he did with the early McCarthy era, to me Rodgers anger was really frustration, he's on record describing how he loved what Brady and NE where doing ( uptemp, on schedule offense) he also said we need to run more, why anyone would think he wanted to extend plays and always look to throw deep simply didn't pay attention to just how good Rodgers was at the quick hitters and uptempo stuff, the problem was that stuff seemed a after thought in McCarthy's offensive plans.

a QB like Rodgers, with probably one of the fastest releases, most compact throwing motion is tailer made for on schedule up temp schemes, this is what he should have been doing for the last 5 or so years.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I definitely think that Rodgers, late in the MM era, was frustrated by the lack of high-level weapons. He was pretty open about the young WRs and their work habits and their inability to get/be on the same page and be consistent.

He was also operating in a system that required more one-on-one matchup wins.

And I think he carried some of that mentality into his time with MLF. But that they have a good working relationship, the schemes are working, and when healthy, there is more opportunity to spread the ball around to players schemed open. And while he was expecting some WR help in the draft and certainly wasn't thrilled to see a QB get taken (he's said as much), I think now that he's really in his comfort zone with this scheme and system, he understands that it's not as much of a requirement. Would he prefer to have 3 Davante Adamses out there? Of course, wouldn't we all.

But he also loves having Lazard there. And he loves having an OLine that's keeping him clean. And he loves having RBs that make play action effective. And he loves having Big Bobby out there. And he loves having RBs that can catch his checkdowns and turn them into something well enough to make checking down worthwhile in his eyes.

And like I said, he's been happy this year. If the Love pick had anything to do with Rodgers' mentality, it is only in furthering his mentality (which he spoke of before this year but has spoken of a lot this year) of accepting the things which he can't control and focusing on the things he can.