Packers signing Devin Funchess

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

texas wrote:
02 Apr 2020 17:19
salmar80 wrote:
02 Apr 2020 15:53
texas wrote:
02 Apr 2020 15:25

This was my first thought after seeing that twitter post too. I think the answer is that Rodgers does not like it, but we'll see.
Might be both, but AR sure isn't big on throwing over the middle, especially contested balls - compared with going to the sideline and deep balls, there's a higher chance of DL batting the ball, and if the WR bobbles it or pass glances off his hands, greater chance at an INT. Rodgers needs to trust the receiver going to that area.
I just remember a comment MM made back when Favre was QB about how he had to design like a completely separate playbook for the backup QB (Rodgers) because Favre loved throwing over the middle but Rodgers likes throwing to the sideline. And that was when we quit being the YAC-ers (remember that term lol?)
McCarthy wanted to install the spread offense, sorry Tex but I have to disagree, it was the scheme Mike wanted right from the start, but it still uses inside routes, go back to the Finley years, or Cobb, lots of interior routes, Cobb was a huge rac player, so was GJ.

Favre ( Holmgren/Walsh) used a west coast system, lots a short passing and mis direction, Favre was not a great boundry passer, some say his receivers needed more space to catch the errant throws, but that s another topic. :lol:

I can't make up my mind which system I like more, the short high rac coast, or the big chunk spread, I actually would like a little of both lol.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Yoop wrote:
02 Apr 2020 17:54
texas wrote:
salmar80 wrote:
02 Apr 2020 15:53

Might be both, but AR sure isn't big on throwing over the middle, especially contested balls - compared with going to the sideline and deep balls, there's a higher chance of DL batting the ball, and if the WR bobbles it or pass glances off his hands, greater chance at an INT. Rodgers needs to trust the receiver going to that area.
I just remember a comment MM made back when Favre was QB about how he had to design like a completely separate playbook for the backup QB (Rodgers) because Favre loved throwing over the middle but Rodgers likes throwing to the sideline. And that was when we quit being the YAC-ers (remember that term lol?)
McCarthy wanted to install the spread offense, sorry Tex but I have to disagree, it was the scheme Mike wanted right from the start, but it still uses inside routes, go back to the Finley years, or Cobb, lots of interior routes, Cobb was a huge rac player, so was GJ.

Favre ( Holmgren/Walsh) used a west coast system, lots a short passing and mis direction, Favre was not a great boundry passer, some say his receivers needed more space to catch the errant throws, but that s another topic. :lol:

I can't make up my mind which system I like more, the short high rac coast, or the big chunk spread, I actually would like a little of both lol.

I'd definitely prefer the West Coast system or some variation of it. Absolutely mind boggling to see the slow-to-develop plays result in sacks and throw away's as much as they have the past 3 seasons.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I was just watching some highlight film of Funchess and I have to admit that I really like the idea of having him snag a few screen passes in the flat. Having his size isolated against CBs is an idea that I really like. He should be able to break more tackles than Jimmy did, for sure.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Captain_Ben wrote:
02 Apr 2020 18:05
Yoop wrote:
texas wrote:

I'd definitely prefer the West Coast system or some variation of it. Absolutely mind boggling to see the slow-to-develop plays result in sacks and throw away's as much as they have the past 3 seasons.
well now where entering one of my pet peeve comment zones, where I stand the chance of being severly reprimanded if I should comment, :lol:

how did you like the spread prior to the last 3 seasons when the schemes had the type players that made them work? to me thats why you see Rodgers forced to extend plays and why his sacktotals have increased.

I think the spread is the easier system to teach, the WC offense is all about precision, a lot more disguise, and there fore more mistake prone, it's probably why we only saw a handful of up tempo WC type pass plays last year, unless the players can practice them to near perfection I doubt Lafluer would chance using them in games.

while the extra plays eat more clock, it also allows more oppertunity for a screw up, so there is a advantage both in simplicity of design to teach, it also affords less chance for mistake, the spread is the cats meow if ya have the players to make it work.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Yoop wrote:
04 Apr 2020 06:31
Captain_Ben wrote:
02 Apr 2020 18:05
Yoop wrote:

well now where entering one of my pet peeve comment zones, where I stand the chance of being severly reprimanded if I should comment, :lol:

how did you like the spread prior to the last 3 seasons when the schemes had the type players that made them work? to me thats why you see Rodgers forced to extend plays and why his sacktotals have increased.

I think the spread is the easier system to teach, the WC offense is all about precision, a lot more disguise, and there fore more mistake prone, it's probably why we only saw a handful of up tempo WC type pass plays last year, unless the players can practice them to near perfection I doubt Lafluer would chance using them in games.

while the extra plays eat more clock, it also allows more oppertunity for a screw up, so there is a advantage both in simplicity of design to teach, it also affords less chance for mistake, the spread is the cats meow if ya have the players to make it work.

I agree with you that the spread's success is more dependent on player talent. I think the west coast is the more "plug and play" system, if you could call it that.

As far as how I liked the spread prior to these last 3 underwhelming seasons, I can honestly say that I never was the biggest fan. Even in 2014- an AR MVP season- there were many times we relied on receivers doing improvisational stunts after their original routes materialized. I never liked that. Even when it worked, I thought it put AR at increased risk of injury, relative to a WC approach.

With an aging AR it is frankly downright foolish to continue with that approach, even if the WR talent is there.

Above all else, the WC is more fun to watch as a fan. :mrgreen: Dropback/Bootleg---------> Nobody open/Doesn't throw the ball-----------> Sack/Throwaway {REPEAT} just gets depressing. Mix it up with a pick once in a while. :lol: