Aaron Jones Watch

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

So what type of watch did Jones get? Did he post a picture?

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

:rotf:
wallyuwl wrote:
14 Feb 2021 17:01
So what type of watch did Jones get? Did he post a picture?

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

lupedafiasco wrote:
12 Feb 2021 15:14
James White just turned 29 and has had a mediocre career. He probably has interest in signing with anyone.
He isn't Aaron Jones but seems to be pretty good receiver for a RB and he won't cost much. Personally I'd love to keep Jones but it might not be financial feasible.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Jones is a MUCH better runner than White. About the same as a pass catcher and pass protection.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I like Jones but when has a big 2nd contract for a RB worked out? I mean maybe you could make the argument that since he has been used so sparingly relative to other top RBs, he has more miles left in the tank, but idk. If it's a big contract that can be exited by us after any year with minimal cap consequences, then I say go for it. Jones is one of my favorite players and he's a top RB. I would also like to re-sign Williams.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

texas wrote:
14 Feb 2021 19:48
I like Jones but when has a big 2nd contract for a RB worked out? I mean maybe you could make the argument that since he has been used so sparingly relative to other top RBs, he has more miles left in the tank, but idk. If it's a big contract that can be exited by us after any year with minimal cap consequences, then I say go for it. Jones is one of my favorite players and he's a top RB. I would also like to re-sign Williams.
Kamara is the only one in recent history that was worth it. Zeke failed miserably when they needed him most. Mixon got hurt. Bell got cut. Todd Gurley got cut. Devonta Freeman got cut. CMC got hurt. ITs just too risky to go big money on a back especially when you invest a 2nd round pick in another one already.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

lupedafiasco wrote:
15 Feb 2021 00:10
texas wrote:
14 Feb 2021 19:48
Kamara is the only one in recent history that was worth it. Zeke failed miserably when they needed him most. Mixon got hurt. Bell got cut. Todd Gurley got cut. Devonta Freeman got cut. CMC got hurt. ITs just too risky to go big money on a back especially when you invest a 2nd round pick in another one already.
Oh is Kamara on his 2nd? Because yeah he'd be the only one. And coincidentally, he is the one most like Jones.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2019/0 ... ones-drew/

depends on the length of second contract, guaranteed money, and ability to get out after 2 years, most seem to be able to play up to the contract for at least 2 seasons, Jones is a low mileage RB thats not had a significant injury, ya pay for the production, and Jones has a lot of that left, cripes you guys wouldn't bat a eye lash if we where talking about a 1500 yard receiver.

still we have a bunch of players to resign, and the ability to resign Williams cheaper and we Have Dillon to boot, I doubt we can bring Jones back.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
15 Feb 2021 09:31

depends on the length of second contract, guaranteed money, and ability to get out after 2 years, most seem to be able to play up to the contract for at least 2 seasons, Jones is a low mileage RB thats not had a significant injury, ya pay for the production, and Jones has a lot of that left, cripes you guys wouldn't bat a eye lash if we where talking about a 1500 yard receiver.

still we have a bunch of players to resign, and the ability to resign Williams cheaper and we Have Dillon to boot, I doubt we can bring Jones back.
I am falling in that boat too that I think we can better utilize our assets then having Jones on the team unfortunately.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
15 Feb 2021 09:51
Yoop wrote:
15 Feb 2021 09:31

I am falling in that boat too that I think we can better utilize our assets then having Jones on the team unfortunately.
It will be unfortunate, we havn't had a RB as gifted as Jones since Ahman Green, obviously a large reason for that is that we've had HOF QB's for almost 30 years and passed 65% of the time, still we have only gotten 2 years of the ability he brought as soon as he got here because he lacked the blocking skills, who the hell drafts a RB to block, McCarthy was overly cautious to the point of stagnation, did the same thing to Cobb, if the goal is to not sign RB's to second contracts, then ya aught to get as much as you can from them in the first one, we sure dropped the ball when it comes tpo Jones.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Just use the franchise tag.

Read More. Post Less.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

NCF wrote:
15 Feb 2021 11:39
Let him walk is what I want. 2nd best option is this.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
franchise is about 9 mil., if your going to do that why not just do a 3 yr deal that you can get out of in 2 with 20 Mil guaranteed, why everyone is so willing to toss out 1500 yrds of production is mind boggling to me.

Dillon, though powerful is a easier type RB to control, Jones is more allusive and a better open field runner, I thought MLF would use him as a receiver more last year, but just because he didn't shouldn't sway peoples minds of his capability to do well at it, we saw just how dangerous he can be when given those opportunity's, maybe it was the groin pull, would make sense then not to aggravate that running pass routes.

It will be a sad day indeed to see Jones bust the 2000 yardage barrier for the Detroit Lyings :thwap:

and for a measly 30 mil. or so :idn: :rotf: :hail:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I don't want Jones to walk.

But unfortunately I think it is going to be the only solution for both sides.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

Who have we had that's had the need for a second contract?
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Yoop wrote:
15 Feb 2021 12:33
NCF wrote:
franchise is about 9 mil., if your going to do that why not just do a 3 yr deal that you can get out of in 2 with 20 Mil guaranteed, why everyone is so willing to toss out 1500 yrds of production is mind boggling to me.

Dillon, though powerful is a easier type RB to control, Jones is more allusive and a better open field runner, I thought MLF would use him as a receiver more last year, but just because he didn't shouldn't sway peoples minds of his capability to do well at it, we saw just how dangerous he can be when given those opportunity's, maybe it was the groin pull, would make sense then not to aggravate that running pass routes.

It will be a sad day indeed to see Jones bust the 2000 yardage barrier for the Detroit Lyings :thwap:

and for a measly 30 mil. or so :idn: :rotf: :hail:
No one is willing to "toss out" Jones' production, but everyone has a limit to what they're willing to guarantee a RB. I'm sure you don't want him at ANY price, either.

I don't think Jones would take the deal you mentioned. Looking at other recent top RB contracts, if he's gonna take any multi-year deal, Jones should be looking at way more than 20M guaranteed. 25-30M guaranteed at minimum, and as long of a contract he can get. That is what his agent is likely shooting for. And since Jones is likely to get only one big deal, that difference is crucial.

Now, the tag would kinda suck for Jones. But it has some gambling potential, so he might not hold out if we do it. With the tag, the injury risk is there. Can't avoid that. That's why he wants guarantees now instead of later. But 2022 free agency might be a very lucrative one with the cap likely bouncing back from the COVID year.

The tag would be great for the Packers. And Jones would be in very good situation, a featured player on a SB contending team, in a scheme that highlights his versatility, and would get enough (but not too many) snaps, with Dillon spotting him. Jones has kept developing, and he still has some work to do as a "WR" when we spread him out wide. It worked early in the season as a surprise, but opponents caught up to it so he was targeted way less as the season went on. Get better at route running, and he'd be platinum value...

One other thing: I personally require at least decent pass blocking ability from all RBs we field. For two reasons: a) AR is pretty damn valuable, b) we don't wanna be predictable. If there's a RB who sucks at blocking, one you only send there when you rush, opposing teams will analyze it and prey on that. Jones came to us as an instinctive rusher, but that's all he had as a rookie. The receiving and blocking parts had to be developed, and to his credit, he put in the work.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

If Jones is willing to sign a contract slightly under market value and with less guaranteed money, I think the Packers will sign him.

If Jones stays, Jamaal Williams is gone.

If Jones is out to get the biggest contract his agent can negotiate, then he's gone.

If Jones is gone then it will be Dillon and Jamaal next year. Not a huge difference. Dillon has shown he can rack up some yardage in this league.

Gutey planned for this.
Love is the answer…

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Foosball wrote:
15 Feb 2021 19:11
If Jones is willing to sign a contract slightly under market value and with less guaranteed money, I think the Packers will sign him.

If Jones stays, Jamaal Williams is gone.

If Jones is out to get the biggest contract his agent can negotiate, then he's gone.

If Jones is gone then it will be Dillon and Jamaal next year. Not a huge difference. Dillon has shown he can rack up some yardage in this league.

Gutey planned for this.
I disagree. Jones is a lot better than Williams. Jones and Dillon are also very different RB's and give the Packers different options.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

Jones is better than Williams but I doubt we will ever be run first with AR at QB. That's why I think a combination of Dillon/Williams/White would be just as effective for our offense. We probably lose the big play runs but Dillon can turn a 3yd run into 20yds which is good enough for me at the cheaper price. Putting White in motion with Dillon next to him may be even a better option that it was putting Jones in motion.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

packman114 wrote:
17 Feb 2021 07:05
Jones is better than Williams but I doubt we will ever be run first with AR at QB. That's why I think a combination of Dillon/Williams/White would be just as effective for our offense. We probably lose the big play runs but Dillon can turn a 3yd run into 20yds which is good enough for me at the cheaper price. Putting White in motion with Dillon next to him may be even a better option that it was putting Jones in motion.
Jones provides a dynamic that very few offenses have. His vision and quickness are rare. The guy has big play ability that maybe only a handful of guys possess. A committee of RBs, no matter how effective they might be, still cannot give that to you. Part of me also thinks that Jones can actually take over a game. Name any other RBs who can do that. Only one other that I know of.

Williams is good and he is an over-achiever. He'll always fight for the extra yard. His pass blocking is very good, usually. He does catch from the backfield well enough too. Good hands! But he can't leave a defense grasping at air.

Dillon shows surprising speed and his power will always give him an advantage over tacklers. But he will get his extra yards in little chunks (up to 5 yards, I mean) and have occasional bursts between creases in the D. But again, he won't leave guys grasping in surprise. Yeah, it might take a committee of guys to tackle him. But that's a different thing.

White who? The guy hasn't proven anything on game day.

So, if the Pack want to say that they'll do fine with the three other guys, they are probably right. But it won't be as good as it will be with Jones.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!