OTAs

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
03 Jun 2021 15:07
Drj820 wrote:
03 Jun 2021 14:08
Lafleur still looks terrified that he might have to trot Love out there to me.
Of course he's terrified, rookie* QBs are a coach's nightmare. As you said in the other thread, MLF doesn't have much of a poker face either. :)

*Yes, I know he's really a 2nd year player
Jordan Love is a 2nd year QB. :rotf: :rotf: ;) ;)

If he ain't ready by now. He never will be!
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

go pak go wrote:
03 Jun 2021 16:21
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
03 Jun 2021 14:08
Lafleur still looks terrified that he might have to trot Love out there to me.
Of course he's terrified, rookie* QBs are a coach's nightmare. As you said in the other thread, MLF doesn't have much of a poker face either. :)

You didn't read the fine print :contract: :lol: He's a 2nd year player with a partial 1st training camp and no preseason.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
03 Jun 2021 16:30
go pak go wrote:
Crazylegs Starks wrote:

You didn't read the fine print :contract: :lol: He's a 2nd year player with a partial 1st training camp and no preseason.
Oh I did read the fine print.

I just figured if someone is going to be the forum a$$ it may as well be someone who puts the emoji's on there.

No I completely agree with you that Love is not much above a rookie this year. Love doesn't have that much more of an experience as say a Stepaniak does who was injured nearly all year.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

go pak go wrote:
03 Jun 2021 16:55
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
03 Jun 2021 16:30
go pak go wrote:

Oh I did read the fine print.

I just figured if someone is going to be the forum a$$ it may as well be someone who puts the emoji's on there.

No I completely agree with you that Love is not much above a rookie this year. Love doesn't have that much more of an experience as say a Stepaniak does who was injured nearly all year.
I don’t quite agree. Love was able to mentally be a starting QB for an entire season. There is a lot of pressure free value there, IMO.

Read More. Post Less.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

I don't agree either, unless you are going to say that the Packers coaching staff are completely incompetent. He has had a full year to improve his technique and get to know his receivers. He has had a full year to watch NFL film and get to know the Vikings, Bears, Lions and several other teams he will face this season.

He is way better than any rookie QB could possibly be.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Rookie +.75? That work? ;)
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
03 Jun 2021 20:56
I don't agree either, unless you are going to say that the Packers coaching staff are completely incompetent. He has had a full year to improve his technique and get to know his receivers. He has had a full year to watch NFL film and get to know the Vikings, Bears, Lions and several other teams he will face this season.

Exactly. I don’t discredit his first year at all. He hopefully used it to make improvements. A motivated player surely would.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Drj820 wrote:
03 Jun 2021 21:26
TheSkeptic wrote:

Exactly. I don’t discredit his first year at all. He hopefully used it to make improvements. A motivated player surely would.
Just having the playbook is a big deal and learning the terminology.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:

I doubt this very much, as far as we know he has never thrown a ball to one of our top 5 receivers, and he got to know them through zoom, and everything you think he knows better then a rookie from this class can be learned in ota's minnis and training camp, if he was better then the QB's taken in this draft teams would have been burning our phones off to trade for him.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

It is so ridiculous that he did not beat out Tim Boyle.

The guy that is going to destroy your organization and he can't beat out Tim Boyle.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

bud fox wrote:
04 Jun 2021 02:35

The guy that is going to destroy your organization and he can't beat out Tim Boyle.
It is so ridiculous our last QB drafted who destroyed our organization couldn’t beat out Criag Nall to be the backup to Favre. 🤡

Just ridiculous people take such stances on things for god knows what reason. It’s like you decide you want to be upset about something. Pick some arbitrary reason without thought, and say it 60 times through the span of about 9 months.

If you don’t think Love is good, that it is fine, but provide something of substance and don’t repeat the same thing ad nauseam when this has been pointed out to you at least a dozen times.

Rodgers didn’t even have to deal with a Covid offseason.
Despite his long-term potential, it was apparent in training camp that Rodgers isn't ready for prime time yet. As a result, Craig Nall will once again serve as Favre's game day backup.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
04 Jun 2021 06:26
bud fox wrote:

It is so ridiculous our last QB drafted who destroyed our organization couldn’t beat out Criag Nall to be the backup to Favre. 🤡

Just ridiculous people take such stances on things for god knows what reason. It’s like you decide you want to be upset about something. Pick some arbitrary reason without thought, and say it 60 times through the span of about 9 months.

If you don’t think Love is good, that it is fine, but provide something of substance and don’t repeat the same thing ad nauseam when this has been pointed out to you at least a dozen times.

Despite his long-term potential, it was apparent in training camp that Rodgers isn't ready for prime time yet. As a result, Craig Nall will once again serve as Favre's game day backup.
two extreme views, Love will never be a good QB, specially not this year, or Love has been great and will be able to handle the pro game soon, both are half truths at best.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

BF004 wrote:
bud fox wrote:

Also, the game-time backup QB isn't just sitting there waiting for an injury. He can help the starter. Boyle had the playbook mastered, and with experience of the opponents, he as a veteran was better at analyzing plays and giving AR some observations and pointers on those Microsoft Surface(tm) devices. Maybe emotional support as well, and with Boyle, there was no conflict about the roles. With Love getting extremely little prep for the season, there's no way he would have been able to be as helpful.

Boyle is not anywhere near as talented a QB as Love is, but the other things made him a logical choice to be no. 2 QB last season.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
03 Jun 2021 14:44
My biggest takeaway from the pressers was Stenovich's tone when he took a stance on Ben Braden. Said he looks ready to compete for a starting spot at T or G. That, at least, makes me feel better about him getting those reps
This should have garnered far more discussion.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

salmar80 wrote:
04 Jun 2021 07:29
BF004 wrote:
bud fox wrote:

Also, the game-time backup QB isn't just sitting there waiting for an injury. He can help the starter. Boyle had the playbook mastered, and with experience of the opponents, he as a veteran was better at analyzing plays and giving AR some observations and pointers on those Microsoft Surface(tm) devices. Maybe emotional support as well, and with Boyle, there was no conflict about the roles. With Love getting extremely little prep for the season, there's no way he would have been able to be as helpful.

Boyle is not anywhere near as talented a QB as Love is, but the other things made him a logical choice to be no. 2 QB last season.
yep, zero off season work outs, a normal year and it's possible that LOve would have been the backup, or the team new Rodgers was upset with the pick and decided it would be best to use Boyle, just as we used Craig Nall when we took Rodgers, best to let those feelings settle for a year

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
04 Jun 2021 07:37
YoHoChecko wrote:
My biggest takeaway from the pressers was Stenovich's tone when he took a stance on Ben Braden. Said he looks ready to compete for a starting spot at T or G. That, at least, makes me feel better about him getting those reps
it would if people had a link to go to to hear the presser, people use to do that stuff in the past, now it seems people read that stuff, comment, and leave it up to the rest of us to dig it up to read the coaches comments, or just left in the dark.

anyway I think a lot of what coaches say now is to pump up the player, give them some confidence, I think thats better then the alternative in this era, Heck I remember Lombardi chewing a lot of tail in his practices, and lesser atta boys, back then it worked, players would never dare to question a coach, specially a guy like Lombardi.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
04 Jun 2021 07:39
salmar80 wrote:
BF004 wrote:

yep, zero off season work outs, a normal year and it's possible that LOve would have been the backup, or the team new Rodgers was upset with the pick and decided it would be best to use Boyle, just as we used Craig Nall when we took Rodgers, best to let those feelings settle for a year
The Covid offseason is overrated as a hinderance to Loves progress. Herbert, Burrow, Jalen Hurts, and rookie WRs seemed to do just fine. Everybody in the league young or old seemed to get up to speed by mid year. Covid just hurt our chances to see Love, the team saw him and got to work with him plenty.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
04 Jun 2021 07:51
NCF wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
it would if people had a link to go to to hear the presser, people use to do that stuff in the past, now it seems people read that stuff, comment, and leave it up to the rest of us to dig it up to read the coaches comments, or just left in the dark.

anyway I think a lot of what coaches say now is to pump up the player, give them some confidence, I think thats better then the alternative in this era, Heck I remember Lombardi chewing a lot of tail in his practices, and lesser atta boys, back then it worked, players would never dare to question a coach, specially a guy like Lombardi.
Andy did a re-cap of it this morning.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
Another I took from it is that Myers isn’t just getting #1 center reps, he is the starter. Sounds like completely his job to lose. I wouldn’t have thought it was that set, just with several options on the interior there. But that will definitely bump up Myers in the rank the roster for me.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop wrote:
04 Jun 2021 07:39
salmar80 wrote:
BF004 wrote:

Even to take this ridiculous topic a step further. Tim Boyle signed a fair veteran QB contract this offseason. Craig Nall never signed a contract after GB.

Rodgers, full normal offseason, couldn’t beat out a 3rd year scrub not good enough to ever sign elsewhere.

Love, COVID restricted offseason, no preseason, couldn’t beat out a 3rd year QB who was good enough to sign a fair backup contract elsewhere.

At least from that alone, you should not be able to conclude Aaron was ahead of Love his rookie year.