Do we even want Rodgers back?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Do we want Rodgers back?

Yes
31%
No
69%

Total votes: 35

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

bud fox wrote:
25 Jan 2022 14:21

If Jimmy G had 4 tds I would understand the notion that Rodgers choked.
You would instead posture it on how much our defense sucks.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

bud fox wrote:
Saying Rodgers can't get it done in the playoffs is strange when he has won a sb and a sb mvp.

That is literally getting it done.

In the last 2 playoff games he has been better than the opposing QB. Also it's the playoffs - they are playing the best of the best.

You're going back an awful long way to underscore your position.

I guess the counter to your point would be to rephrase the point you're arguing against as "Rodgers can no longer get it done" as in citing several instances over the past 10 yrs of less-than-steller play during playoff losses.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

APB wrote:
25 Jan 2022 14:29
bud fox wrote:
Saying Rodgers can't get it done in the playoffs is strange when he has won a sb and a sb mvp.

That is literally getting it done.

In the last 2 playoff games he has been better than the opposing QB. Also it's the playoffs - they are playing the best of the best.

You're going back an awful long way to underscore your position.

I guess the counter to your point would be to rephrase the point you're arguing against as "Rodgers can no longer get it done" as in citing several instances over the past 10 yrs of less-than-steller play during playoff losses.
Okay but he played better than the opposing qbs in the two most recent losses.

I guess it doesn't matter.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

bud fox wrote:
25 Jan 2022 15:50

Maybe so, but his bar isn't the other guy, it's GOAT. And my measuring stick is doing enough to win, especially when that's well below your standard.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Half Empty wrote:
25 Jan 2022 15:58
bud fox wrote:

Maybe so, but his bar isn't the other guy, it's GOAT. And my measuring stick is doing enough to win, especially when that's well below your standard.
The other guy last year was Brady ... what is he?

How much can a qb do in freezing, snowing, windy weather with one receiver and bad protection.

The truth is special teams lost the game and the team knew it was a liability all year.

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

bud fox wrote:

I'd say you guess right. Jimmy Garoppolo led his team to 6 points with 2 field goals, both coming off short fields. There is a large gap between "better than a man who scored 6 points" and "MVP standard".

As for just having one receiver, you're making the same mistake as Rodgers did there. Like you, he didn't realise he had more than one receiver.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

He needs to not go 3 and out so much in the playoffs. Whatever it takes to not do that, that's what we need to do. It's an absolute momentum killer, it deprives the defense of any rest, and it's one of the worst things that can happen in one of these low-scoring field position games (which frequently happen in the playoffs, and moreso if we are the home team due to weather). And if you look back at our collapses, it's a huge thing that sticks out.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

dsr wrote:
25 Jan 2022 17:40
bud fox wrote:

I'd say you guess right. Jimmy Garoppolo led his team to 6 points with 2 field goals, both coming off short fields. There is a large gap between "better than a man who scored 6 points" and "MVP standard".

As for just having one receiver, you're making the same mistake as Rodgers did there. Like you, he didn't realise he had more than one receiver.
Cobb, esb lazard and amari are not good.

MLF said in press conference basically all pass concepts are based on davante being the primary target. Now match that with slow field in weather, good pressure and bad protection - the primary option or the dump off are going to be the two real options. That is why we saw so much volume to Jones as well as the dump option.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

bud fox wrote:
25 Jan 2022 17:21
Half Empty wrote:
bud fox wrote:

How much can a qb do in freezing, snowing, windy weather with one receiver and bad protection.

The truth is special teams lost the game and the team knew it was a liability all year.
Well, he's a guy who lost this year to a worse defense than he had. He's also a guy who has never won anything without a top defense. Brady has never won a Super Bowl with a defense ranked lower than 8th in ppg during the year. Matter of fact, he's only ever had a Defense ranked lower than 10th three times(15,17,17) in his career. But yeah, it's all him.

Compare Brady's wins and losses to how many points he has had to score to win to Rodgers, and then come back and tell us who you think is the better QB. Given the same defenses and offenses, I'd take Rodgers over Brady.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Raptorman wrote:
25 Jan 2022 18:33
bud fox wrote:
Half Empty wrote:

Well, he's a guy who lost this year to a worse defense than he had. He's also a guy who has never won anything without a top defense. Brady has never won a Super Bowl with a defense ranked lower than 8th in ppg during the year. Matter of fact, he's only ever had a Defense ranked lower than 10th three times(15,17,17) in his career. But yeah, it's all him.

Compare Brady's wins and losses to how many points he has had to score to win to Rodgers, and then come back and tell us who you think is the better QB. Given the same defenses and offenses, I'd take Rodgers over Brady.
Agree

I think we are in the minority here though despite it being a packer s forum, which is insane.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

bud fox wrote:
25 Jan 2022 18:47
Raptorman wrote:
25 Jan 2022 18:33
bud fox wrote:

Agree

I think we are in the minority here though despite it being a packer s forum, which is insane.
The average defense Brady had in the years he won his Super Bowls was 17.9 ppg during the year. If you add up all the games during that time period of all the teams and see what the winning percentage is for all teams, QB doesn't matter, it's right around 85%. I know, I did the math on this about 2 years ago. If you only have to score 18 points a game win, it makes winning a hell of a lot easier. Do you want to beat Brady? Score more than 34 points a game. He doesn't do so well when the other team scores a lot of points. In Tampa, Brady has 13 games where the other team scored 27+ points. He's 6-7 in those games. Under 27 he's 18-2 In the same time Period, Rodgers has had 12 games over 27 and is 6-6. Under 27 he's 20-0. Remember how everyone has always said he feasted on a weak division in NE? He was 87-21 against division opponents in his time in NE. FWIW, that is 1/3 of all his wins. For some reason, the Saints have is number. He is 3-5 against them.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

At the end of the game Brady is making plays. Rodgers is on the bench.
Love is the answer…

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Foosball wrote:
25 Jan 2022 19:45
And Brady got outplayed by Stafford in the game.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Foosball wrote:
Yep. This is one of those arguments where stats don’t mean a thing. Brady is clutch. Rodgers is not. Is that simple.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Raptorman wrote:
25 Jan 2022 20:02
Foosball wrote:
And Brady got outplayed by Stafford in the game.
Did that Game wipe out all of Brady’s Super Bowl rings?

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Acrobat wrote:
25 Jan 2022 20:04
Foosball wrote:
Yep. This is one of those arguments where stats don’t mean a thing. Brady is clutch. Rodgers is not. Is that simple.
Well if this is just on feeling and not anything objective like stats, it's a useless argument.

If Brady is truly better the stats will show it.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Brady is a winner. I was obviously trolling on the other thread about firing Drayton at halftime on the Jumbotron, but Im serious that Brady would never go into the playoffs with STs in that state. He would either coach it himself, appoint himself ST assistant and work with them, or publically call the problem out to force a change. He just would not let that festering disaster ruin his chance at a ring. He would not go 3 and out so many drives when the game is in reach.

Rodgers is no doubt one of the most talented ever. His talent is incredible. His intellect and photographic memory is outstanding. However, these things don’t make you a winner in a team game. Rodgers obviously has problems when his back is against the wall and things don’t go as planned.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

bud fox wrote:
25 Jan 2022 21:45
Acrobat wrote:
25 Jan 2022 20:04
Foosball wrote:
Well if this is just on feeling and not anything objective like stats, it's a useless argument.

If Brady is truly better the stats will show it.
At the end of the weekend, the NFC QB with the best game was the one with the worst win/loss record during his career. And interestingly enough, the worst defense out of all 4.

And the stats don't show it.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

What makes a good D look bad statistically? Having the O go 3-and-out twice in a row.

Rodgers is the master of 3-and-out twice in a row. When the Packers absolutely needs a 1st down and to stay on the field, he overthrows deep on first down, throws it away after 3 seconds after having turned down a 4 yard outlet with possible YAC on second down and either misses or comes up short on 3rd down.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Anybody else here remember feeling just a bit relieved after the Packers first drive, thinking "good" Rodgers showed up for this game rather than "middling" Rodgers who had a tendency to rear his head in the playoffs?

Yeah, so much for that...