Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

salmar80 wrote:
08 Mar 2022 14:44
Realist wrote:
08 Mar 2022 14:33
salmar80 wrote:
08 Mar 2022 14:25

Because it's a crap QB class, there are a lot of teams in need of a QB, so even if Love's auditions in 2021 didn't go great, this still may be the best time to get a high pick for him. It's unlikely Love will get a lot of 2022 snaps with us to prove himself. Love is still cheap, and if a team trades for him now, they get a year to evaluate him on the cheap before deciding on 5th year option or extension.
Is there something I am missing about Love? Why would a team offer anything more then a very late round flier pick on him? Does he look awesome in practice?
Any team trading for Love won't be doing it based on what Love has done in games so far, but as a projection of his future in their system.

I frankly don't know what teams think of Love, or how his development trajectory is going in the classroom and at practice. I wouldn't be surprised if there's no interest in him. I wouldn't be surprised to get a 1st rounder for him.

Remember, Favre had been god-awful in everything he'd done when we gave up a 1st rounder for him. Only takes one team that thinks "hell, all these rookie QBs are crap. That Love kid has an arm and is at least house-trained by GB. I'll rather spend my flier pick on him".
every GM in the league knows Love has the physical tools to be a good QB, what NO one knows including our GM and coaches is whether he has the mental makeup to match the physical skills, has he learned to read a defense, can he get past his first route read before panicking, in his only audition those where things he failed at, and playing in games which he has not are the only place to showcase that he has accomplished that.

also while this QB class seems to lack the elite breed, it has some Love type that will go late first or 2nd round, people act as though if Love where in this draft class he'd be picked top 10, and Love has never done anything for people to think that, sorta confusing to me. :idn:

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

BF004 wrote:
08 Mar 2022 14:51
Holy &%$@, didn't realize Noah Fant was in that deal till just now.

F me, that is a damn nice haul.

Kind of surprised Pete Carroll was okay with this trade, isn't he the oldest or 2nd oldest coach in the league right now? Think he would have gutted it out with Wilson another year or two, or just agree to walk away in January if he knew this was a very possible outcome.
Drew Lock might be fairly underrated. Plus when SEA won, Wilson wasn't even that good.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

salmar80 wrote:
08 Mar 2022 14:25
Yoop wrote:
08 Mar 2022 14:17
BF004 wrote:
08 Mar 2022 13:56

I think A) not coincidence this trade came out hours after Aaron agreed to stay in GB. B) a little troubling there was never a whisper Denver had any interest at all in Love.
why would we trade Love? we need a backup QB, and Love knows the play book, and hopefully after this last off season and some more PS games he's more ready to play and GM's around the league are paying attention, then he will be worth what we paid or a little more and Benkert is more ready to back Rodgers up, I don't get the rush to trade Love, specially since his only exposure didn't work out very well.
Because it's a crap QB class, there are a lot of teams in need of a QB, so even if Love's auditions in 2021 didn't go great, this still may be the best time to get a high pick for him. It's unlikely Love will get a lot of 2022 snaps with us to prove himself. Love is still cheap, and if a team trades for him now, they get a year to evaluate him on the cheap before deciding on 5th year option or extension.
I heard something the other day, no idea if it will turn out to be true or not. But basically they were saying that this QB may or may not actually suck, but that the reason the expert consensus seems to rate it so poorly is because most of the guys are not big time stat guys from big time programs, which is what a good percentage of the so-called experts (in reality, fools) fawn over.

So basically, we should completely divorce our assessments of the QB class from the emerging expert consensus because most of them are dumbasses.

I figure that line of reasoning makes sense, because they always seem to overrate QBs from big programs.

"Liberty University? What is that place lol? This guy no baker mayfield. Me like Baker. Coz he throw ball far. And he go to Oklahoma! Put some respec on that name!" - Heath Evans somewhere, probably

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

Go Seahawks!!

Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

*their

The left needs to be exterminated

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
08 Mar 2022 15:15
what NO one knows including our GM and coaches is whether he has the mental makeup to match the physical skills, has he learned to read a defense, can he get past his first route read before panicking
The Packers just showed they know the answer to this by the tune of paying 153m to a 39 year old and turning down multiple first round pics.

Hackett and the Broncos showed they know the answer too by giving two firsts and two seconds and players for a veteran QB instead of like a 4 for Love.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

imo, most college QB's rated as high as 1st or 2nd round prospects have the physical skills necessary to play in the NFL, most bust or never amount to much because of the mental part, defense at this level is far superior then anything most have had to deal with prior, it's faster in every way, the pass rush is quicker, the coverage far better, which means they have to read the route progressions much faster, not a easy thing to do for even aged vets.

so what did we see Love have trouble with? physically he wasn't to bad, couple really nice throws, but to many off target a little, which I have a feeling was brought about because he was dealing with the pressure I just spoke of, and he was rushing through his reads, now until we see more, we have very little to go on to be able to say he has slowed the game down and can process more quickly, and the only way to know imo is under real game situations.

thats why I don't think other GM's would give more then we paid for him, plus he could be worth far more if he succeeds with more exposure for us this coming season, I'd keep him around hoping for that.

if where going to trade for draft capitol, trade Adams for cripe sakes. :lol: seriously though, everyone complains because Rodgers develops tunnel vision with Adams, the solution is bring in more receivers that demand Rodgers attention, and we could get 2 with the compensation we could get from Adams alone, obviously neither would be as good as Adams, but then do they need to be, Rodger never had one as good before, Nelson had the stats, but he didn't have the moves, Rodgers gets max ability from every receiver he's ever had, give him a younger Nelson and Cobb, or a Jennings and Jones and your gonna equal the production we get from Adams, and they wont cost you 25 mil.

I liked watching the Rodgers Adams combo as much as anyone here, just trying to be realistic moving forward, Rodgers is and always has been the main man in this scenario, guy's like him are basically impossible to replace, Adams, even though arguably the best WR in the game can be, we see one or two drafted every year, and this coming draft has a bumper crop of very good prospects, draft one or two, bring back MVS, he aught to be cheap, maybe Lazard or Tonyan and no more tunnel vision with Adams, Rodgers will go back to spreading the ball around more, now see how easy that was to figure out :rotf:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Now I can cheer for Wilson ( except when the Broncos are playing us) because he no longer plays for the seachickens.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Pugger wrote:
08 Mar 2022 17:41
Now I can cheer for Wilson ( except when the Broncos are playing us) because he no longer plays for the seachickens.
And I'm thinking I can keep hating the Broncos.
RIP JustJeff

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

paco wrote:
08 Mar 2022 17:53
Pugger wrote:
Badger.

I have zero love for those donkeys but Wilson is a former Badger.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

So just a hypothetical right now, how would we be feeling if it was announced today we were trading Aaron Rodgers to the Broncos for pick 9 and 41, a first and a 2nd next year, Noah Fant, Drew Lock and Shelby Harris?

Gotta say I was leaning towards wanting that, but I am actually already pumped about competing this year with Davante. We were the best team on paper heading into the playoffs last year without Jaire, Bak, Jenkins or Z, 4 essentially all pros. We are expecting to get 3 of them back and frankly I think we are expecting Rashan Gary to make some Z strides here and be pushing that all pro level.

Progression with Myers, JRJ and Newman, and then Stokes on the other side.

Find a way to bring back Rasul and Campbell, our defense looks better on paper, IMO, if healthy, with Jaire back and Stokes ideally getting better.

I really hope this is like a 3 year committment with Rodgers, lets go win 3 in a row!!!

I'm back to all in and just keeping us right there playing in January with the most talented QB I've ever seen.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Too bad Love stunk in his 1 outing. No trade value there, at all.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Pugger wrote:
08 Mar 2022 17:56
paco wrote:
Pugger wrote:
Badger.

That actually makes me hate him more, lol.

If he had won the Rose Bowl for us, him being an ex-Badger might have warranted real goodwill. Instead, we lost it with him, so now I just see his playing career as a curse upon all Wisconsin football.

But hey, maybe he can do the same for Denver now. He already handed them an L in the SuperBowl, now he can round that out by never winning one for them! :)
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Seahawks fire sale. Wagner released.
RIP JustJeff

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

paco wrote:
08 Mar 2022 20:36
12th man is having a baaaaaaad day...

Funnily the Seahawks would have the 9th and 10th picks to start their rebuild...had they not traded two 1st rounders for a safety in 2020. :messedup: :rotf:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

salmar80 wrote:
08 Mar 2022 21:35
paco wrote:

Funnily the Seahawks would have the 9th and 10th picks to start their rebuild...had they not traded two 1st rounders for a safety in 2020. :messedup: :rotf:
A safety who is now their highest paid player.
RIP JustJeff

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Drj820 wrote:
08 Mar 2022 16:08
Yoop wrote:
what NO one knows including our GM and coaches is whether he has the mental makeup to match the physical skills, has he learned to read a defense, can he get past his first route read before panicking
The Packers just showed they know the answer to this by the tune of paying 153m to a 39 year old and turning down multiple first round pics.

Hackett and the Broncos showed they know the answer too by giving two firsts and two seconds and players for a veteran QB instead of like a 4 for Love.
Ya know, when you say the Packers above, and then you say Hackett, they both know the same thing. Hackett was a Packer guy until last month. Just sayin...
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
08 Mar 2022 16:08
Yoop wrote:

Denver waited for Rodgers decision prior to trading for there 2nd choice, Love has nothing to do with this, Love is not ready at this time to start for any NFL team.

Seattle is in complete rebuild mode, we are not, but you and others think we should be, whatever you do, don't quit your day job :rotf:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Labrev wrote:
08 Mar 2022 18:55
Pugger wrote:
08 Mar 2022 17:56
paco wrote:
Badger.

That actually makes me hate him more, lol.

If he had won the Rose Bowl for us, him being an ex-Badger might have warranted real goodwill. Instead, we lost it with him, so now I just see his playing career as a curse upon all Wisconsin football.

But hey, maybe he can do the same for Denver now. He already handed them an L in the SuperBowl, now he can round that out by never winning one for them! :)
:lol: We can only hope he can do the same to those freakin' donkeys. I have always hated them after the SB loss. I still cannot watch "highlights" of that mess.

I really have no ill will against him. Wisconsin football will never be a thing until they can regarded in the same vein as MI and OSU. We have always been the little red-headed step child to those programs, much to my chagrin.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

BF004 wrote:
08 Mar 2022 18:01
So just a hypothetical right now, how would we be feeling if it was announced today we were trading Aaron Rodgers to the Broncos for pick 9 and 41, a first and a 2nd next year, Noah Fant, Drew Lock and Shelby Harris?

Gotta say I was leaning towards wanting that, but I am actually already pumped about competing this year with Davante. We were the best team on paper heading into the playoffs last year without Jaire, Bak, Jenkins or Z, 4 essentially all pros. We are expecting to get 3 of them back and frankly I think we are expecting Rashan Gary to make some Z strides here and be pushing that all pro level.

Progression with Myers, JRJ and Newman, and then Stokes on the other side.

Find a way to bring back Rasul and Campbell, our defense looks better on paper, IMO, if healthy, with Jaire back and Stokes ideally getting better.

I really hope this is like a 3 year committment with Rodgers, lets go win 3 in a row!!!

I'm back to all in and just keeping us right there playing in January with the most talented QB I've ever seen
I'm with you. This is why I was never a big fan of trading Rodgers for a bunch of picks and players (Fant would have been nice tho). If we can get most of the players you mentioned back in 2022 plus whatever FA and draft picks Gute can secure I too am all in. A lot of folks wanted to reload with Love (or Drew Lock) and a bunch of draft picks because they were weary of us losing in the playoffs. But I say without 12 we don't even sniff the postseason. Now with AR back at least we have a chance and isn't that the goal? Ya can't win it if you are sitting at home in January. With all of the QB moves in the NFC we become a prohibited favorite with Stafford as the only really decent starting QB on these clubs. Dallas and MN have good QBs but not what anyone would call elite. The AFC is really loaded with really good QBs in KC, Buffalo, Denver, Cincy, Baltimore, LAC and a decent one in TN.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

salmar80 wrote:
08 Mar 2022 21:35
paco wrote:

Yeah, I can't imagine being a Seahawk fan today. Russ and Wagner both gone and Lock as your QB going forward. Egads! :puke:

I can't wait to see the fit Metcalf throws next year when his production completely tanks.