Green Bay Packers News 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Ok, well given that Abernathy is not on the team right now, we have 5 people marked safety and only 2 can play defense. Carpenter, Leavett, and Ford are ST guys. That is BLEAK roster depth and Savage has an injury history. Something needs to happen there. Plenty of options, but there's got to be some movement.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
31 Aug 2022 12:12
Ok, well given that Abernathy is not on the team right now, we have 5 people marked safety and only 2 can play defense. Carpenter, Leavett, and Ford are ST guys. That is BLEAK roster depth and Savage has an injury history. Something needs to happen there. Plenty of options, but there's got to be some movement.
I really think that Rasul is likely safety #3. Jean-Charles and maybe Nixon will probably get more snaps in the slot than those other guys get at safety.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

YoHoChecko wrote:
31 Aug 2022 12:12
Not as bleak as 2 RBs. I guess Amari Rodgers is RB3

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
31 Aug 2022 13:59
Gutey said he wanted Winfree back so it’s probable that he and his agent are trying to dig up other opportunities. Would probably prefer a place where 7 guys didn’t make the team instead of him.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Now that the depth and bottom-of-the-roster arguments are done, I'm ready to go back to this hype train

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
31 Aug 2022 20:06
Now that the depth and bottom-of-the-roster arguments are done, I'm ready to go back to this hype train

I truly believe we get a 1000 yard year out of Sammy and hes our WR1 provided he stays on the field
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

It would be too easy to sleep on Watkins. But the guy clearly has lots of talent. His limitations in the past have mostly been about health, not talent.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Scott4Pack wrote:
31 Aug 2022 21:03
It would be too easy to sleep on Watkins. But the guy clearly has lots of talent. His limitations in the past have mostly been about health, not talent.
I think is limitations have been his surrounding talent. Those Bills teams were ass. His QBs were Tired Taylor, EJ Manusell, and Kyle Boreton in Buffalo. He then goes to LA with a young Goff and no receiver really excelled there. That was the Gurley show. Then he goes to KC and IMO he was terrific. Statistically he struggled but he was at best the 3rd option. He caught 73%, 58%, and 67% of his passes. Then he made the terrible decision to play for Baltimore in an offense that doesnt and cant throw.

He is about to play with the best QB/depth chart/offense combination hes ever had.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
31 Aug 2022 21:25
Scott4Pack wrote:
31 Aug 2022 21:03
I think is limitations have been his surrounding talent. Those Bills teams were ass. His QBs were Tired Taylor, EJ Manusell, and Kyle Boreton in Buffalo. He then goes to LA with a young Goff and no receiver really excelled there. That was the Gurley show. Then he goes to KC and IMO he was terrific. Statistically he struggled but he was at best the 3rd option. He caught 73%, 58%, and 67% of his passes. Then he made the terrible decision to play for Baltimore in an offense that doesnt and cant throw.

He is about to play with the best QB/depth chart/offense combination hes ever had.
Well then. Let's pencil Sammy in for a Pro Bowl berth.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

YoHoChecko wrote:
*snip*
This is bad. Anytime Rodgers gets starry-eyed over one of his receivers is invariably, unambiguously a bad development. I don't want some nonsense where we abandon the run to Dillon when it's working in a critical January game just because Rodgers thought Watkins needed to put up ProBowl numbers. We are a RUN team this year. I don't care about Watkins getting a redemption arc.

When Rodgers gets excited about a receiver, get rid of that receiver pronto. 8-)
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Labrev wrote:
01 Sep 2022 02:02
YoHoChecko wrote:
*snip*
This is bad. Anytime Rodgers gets starry-eyed over one of his receivers is invariably, unambiguously a bad development. I don't want some nonsense where we abandon the run to Dillon when it's working in a critical January game just because Rodgers thought Watkins needed to put up ProBowl numbers. We are a RUN team this year. I don't care about Watkins getting a redemption arc.

When Rodgers gets excited about a receiver, get rid of that receiver pronto. 8-)
Good point.

Maybe AR will not put Sammy into a head on collision with a linebacker and this will keep him healthy. The fact remains, though, that Sammy and Lazard and Cobb have insignificant talent compared to the 2 top rookies. Unless Watson and Doubs are starting in January, the Packers are going to be 1 and done again. Because AR will revert to being AR again in the playoffs and refuse to hand off to Dillon and Jones. And because the combination of Watkins, Lazard and Cobb is going to be shut down in the playoffs when Rodgers gets playoff pressure.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
01 Sep 2022 03:42
Labrev wrote:
01 Sep 2022 02:02
YoHoChecko wrote:
*snip*

Good point.

Maybe AR will not put Sammy into a head on collision with a linebacker and this will keep him healthy. The fact remains, though, that Sammy and Lazard and Cobb have insignificant talent compared to the 2 top rookies. Unless Watson and Doubs are starting in January, the Packers are going to be 1 and done again. Because AR will revert to being AR again in the playoffs and refuse to hand off to Dillon and Jones. And because the combination of Watkins, Lazard and Cobb is going to be shut down in the playoffs when Rodgers gets playoff pressure.
when did Rodgers refuse to hand the ball off to Dillon?

Prior to the loss of Nelson, Cobb being injured so often, Rodgers spread the ball around, besides Adams, have we had any other receiver for Rodgers to get starry eyed about? last years PO loss is a great example, Aaron Jones was our leading receiver.

We have a 4 time MVP, we will never be a run first team as long as Rodgers is our QB, and we didn't keep 7 receivers on the 53 for them to run decoy routes and block for Dillon :thwap: and as Lafluer said he wants to up the passing to our RB's.

deception is what works best in this league, not pounding the rock play in play out, mix it up.

I for one am excited about these young receivers, and Lafluer wont demand that they know every route by heart before getting on the field, by mid season I expect all the rookies will be contributing.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yeah the talk about Rodgers locking onto receivers is absurd. Throughout his career he has always spread the ball around when he has had competent pass catchers. In recent years, yes he has fed Adams because that’s all he had that could be relied upon.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
01 Sep 2022 08:25
Yeah the talk about Rodgers locking onto receivers is absurd. Throughout his career he has always spread the ball around when he has had competent pass catchers. In recent years, yes he has fed Adams because that’s all he had that could be relied upon.
I agree that it's a bit overblown and disagree on the recap. I've said it a million times, but Rodgers relied on Adams because he could, not because he had to. We've all seen clips of other guys being open on a force to Adams, but we also have seen Adams destroy all sorts of coverages to get open anyway or to make a catch with seemingly no window.

Rodgers-to-Adams was playing on easy mode. Why up the degree of difficulty if you don't have to? When asked, or when needed though (like when Adams was out), Rodgers usually adjusted to spreading it around without issue. In some of the playoff games--the 49ers game particularly--Rodgers did over-rely on Adams. The JT O'Sullivan breakdown showed this in detail. He relied on Adams not because he had to, but because he was so accustomed to it.

Loving Sammy Watkins i a long LONG way away from spending a few years playing on easy mode and not adjusting that well when he had to bump up to hard mode in the playoffs. I'm not concerned about Rodgers ignoring Cobb and Lazard for Watkins.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

If the locked on Adams narrative is overblown, then the no other receiver could be relied upon narrative is just as overblown.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
01 Sep 2022 09:15
If the locked on Adams narrative is overblown, then the no other receiver could be relied upon narrative is just as overblown.
Actually a perfect summary.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.