Cheese Curds - 2020 - News Around The League

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

paco wrote:
21 Dec 2020 11:57
Wonder what would happen if we gave it to Jones 321 times? If he kept the average it would be 1733 yards.
No, he would be on IR

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

TheSkeptic wrote:
21 Dec 2020 13:18
paco wrote:
21 Dec 2020 11:57
Wonder what would happen if we gave it to Jones 321 times? If he kept the average it would be 1733 yards.
No, he would be on IR
Probably true. I don't think he isn't tough or is necessarily injury-prone, either. Just not made to be that kind of RB. Needs more of those manufactured touches through the air to balance it out.

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Some tweets out there about the passing of Kevin Greene. Was one of my favorites as a kid and I was ecstatic when he became a Packer as a coach. RIP if true.
RIP JustJeff

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

*their

The left needs to be exterminated

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

paco wrote:
21 Dec 2020 15:14
Some tweets out there about the passing of Kevin Greene. Was one of my favorites as a kid and I was ecstatic when he became a Packer as a coach. RIP if true.
58... Crazy.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Steelers are going to go from undefeated to out of the playoffs.
RIP JustJeff

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

lupedafiasco wrote:
10 Dec 2020 09:48
Scott4Pack wrote:
10 Dec 2020 09:32
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
09 Dec 2020 21:06

That is one variation. It's somewhere in When Pride Still Mattered, but I can't find it again. It was based on a bible verse: "Do you not know that all the runners in a stadium compete, but only one receives the prize? So run to win."
Yup. That verse was written by a guy who was imprisoned, stoned, shipwrecked, ridiculed, beaten, arrested, and much more that would've tempted almost anybody to give up. But he had a greater purpose.

Football isn't as great a purpose, but the idea of doing every single thing with excellence is what makes any organization successful. That was Lombardi's mantra. And that is why tanking is not an option for the Green Bay Packers, ever.
Sounds cool.
Yeah. All of the painful stuff wasn't, for sure. But the reward of always staying true to a cause that is greater than self is always a winning idea.
:-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

So who isn't making the playoffs.

Record, Team, Remaining Games, 538 % chance of playoffs
11-3 Steelers (IND, @CLE) 100%
10-4 Colts (@PIT, JAX) 92%
10-4 Titans (@GB, @HOU) 98%
10-4 Browns (@NYJ, PIT) 93%
9-5 Dolphins (@LV, @Buf) 31%
9-5 Ravens (NYG, @CIN) 86%

Room for 4 out of the 5 (Pittsburgh is in).

I think 538 is heavily weighted toward Baltimore, currently giving them a better chance to win the SB than Indy, Ten, and Cle, so those percentages should prolly be taken with a grain of salt.

Ravens can not win the division, 528 gives Pittsburgh a 73% chance at the division, Cleveland 27%.

Tennessee will have the tiebreaker over Indy in a tie.

Miami actually controls their own destiny, they beat out Baltimore in the tiebreaker. Buffalo will likely be looking at a meaningless game in week 17 and can not get the #1 bye.

I think 538 is way too high on Baltimore and too low on Miami for their odds. I believe they are running a monte carlo simulation, so judging on Baltimore Super Bowl Odds (a team that doesn't even control their own destiny), their inputs are likely too high on them in my opinion.

I would actually peg Baltimore as the odd duck out.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

BF004 wrote:
22 Dec 2020 17:41
So who isn't making the playoffs.

Record, Team, Remaining Games, 538 % chance of playoffs
11-3 Steelers (IND, @CLE) 100%
10-4 Colts (@PIT, JAX) 92%
10-4 Titans (@GB, @HOU) 98%
10-4 Browns (@NYJ, PIT) 93%
9-5 Dolphins (@LV, @Buf) 31%
9-5 Ravens (NYG, @CIN) 86%

Room for 4 out of the 5 (Pittsburgh is in).

I think 538 is heavily weighted toward Baltimore, currently giving them a better chance to win the SB than Indy, Ten, and Cle, so those percentages should prolly be taken with a grain of salt.

Ravens can not win the division, 528 gives Pittsburgh a 73% chance at the division, Cleveland 27%.

Tennessee will have the tiebreaker over Indy in a tie.

Miami actually controls their own destiny, they beat out Baltimore in the tiebreaker. Buffalo will likely be looking at a meaningless game in week 17 and can not get the #1 bye.

I think 538 is way too high on Baltimore and too low on Miami for their odds. I believe they are running a monte carlo simulation, so judging on Baltimore Super Bowl Odds (a team that doesn't even control their own destiny), their inputs are likely too high on them in my opinion.

I would actually peg Baltimore as the odd duck out.
You know what really sad? At 6-8 the Vikings have not been eliminated from the playoffs. Now they could be this week. However, in a three-way tie with the Bears, and Cardinals, the Vikings would take it. But then they could be in the NFC East. Philly could take it yeat at 6-9-1

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

After watching MVS and Lazard have their troubles holding on to the ball sometimes, I am surprised that some of the more entrepreneurial sportswriters with nothing better to do haven't written a scathing "What if" story on Funchess' decision to opt out this season. Imagine an accomplished, consistent and trustable 6'4" veteran receiver out there to take the pressure off of Adams and Tonyan right now.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

If you're going to mention those 2, might want to lump Adams in there too. Just saying.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 23 Dec 2020 12:42, edited 1 time in total.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
23 Dec 2020 07:48
After watching MVS and Lazard have their troubles holding on to the ball sometimes, I am surprised that some of the more entrepreneurial sportswriters with nothing better to do haven't written a scathing "What if" story on Funchess' decision to opt out this season. Imagine an accomplished, consistent and trustable 6'4" veteran receiver out there to take the pressure off of Adams and Tonyan right now.
As I recall, one of the knocks on Funchess is he tends to drop a lot of balls. That, and he’s a big possession type WR. He’s not a guy that is gonna generate a lot of wiggle and separation at the LOS. I think the issues we’re seeing now - as minimal as they are - wouldn’t have disappeared with an active and playing Funchess.

Edit: a quick Google search of "Funchess Drops" confirms my memory is correct.
Funchess averaged nearly a drop every eight catchable targets, per Pro Football Focus, and among all 92 receivers to see 150 targets over those four seasons, he ranked fourth-worst in that category.
"Trusted" and "consistent" may not be the best choice of words when describing Funchess. Just sayin'...

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
21 Dec 2020 12:06
Nick Chubb and Miles Sanders, the only RBs with a better y/c than Aaron Jones.
And the Eagles run with Sanders less than McCarthy used Jones.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

APB wrote:
23 Dec 2020 11:29
one of the knocks on Funchess is he tends to drop a lot of balls. That, and he’s a big possession type WR. He’s not a guy that is gonna generate a lot of wiggle and separation at the LOS.
good call and the Packers were interested in him in part because he's built like a TE and can block in the run game
He wouldn't gain a lot of separation as you noted - but he's a brute when it comes to battling for the ball and tough to tackle on bubble screens.
IT. IS. TIME

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Feel like I’ve been doing way too much rooting for the Vikings recently.
Last season, the Saints’ Super Bowl hopes ended when they lost, as seven-point favorites, at home against the Vikings in the first round of the playoffs. This season, the Saints’ hopes for home-field advantage throughout the playoffs will end if they lose, as seven-point favorites, at home against the Vikings on Christmas Day.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
25 Dec 2020 08:11
Feel like I’ve been doing way too much rooting for the Vikings recently.
Last season, the Saints’ Super Bowl hopes ended when they lost, as seven-point favorites, at home against the Vikings in the first round of the playoffs. This season, the Saints’ hopes for home-field advantage throughout the playoffs will end if they lose, as seven-point favorites, at home against the Vikings on Christmas Day.
Go Vikes!!!
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

How much did it hurt to say that?

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

BSA wrote:
23 Dec 2020 11:54
APB wrote:
23 Dec 2020 11:29
one of the knocks on Funchess is he tends to drop a lot of balls. That, and he’s a big possession type WR. He’s not a guy that is gonna generate a lot of wiggle and separation at the LOS.
good call and the Packers were interested in him in part because he's built like a TE and can block in the run game
He wouldn't gain a lot of separation as you noted - but he's a brute when it comes to battling for the ball and tough to tackle on bubble screens.
He started at TE at Michigan.
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

*their

The left needs to be exterminated

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Half Empty wrote:
25 Dec 2020 09:16
How much did it hurt to say that?
Zero. I love it when I root for the Vikes because it means we are playing for something and they aren't.

My biggest wish for the Vikings every year is mediocrity.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.