Green Bay Packers News 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

well I hope he isn't rushing it, we need a healthy Gary, don't want to see a set back when the games matter.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Blogger Andy seeks to elevate his credibility with a comedy routine…
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
07 Aug 2023 14:03

Blogger Andy seeks to elevate his credibility with a comedy routine…

Read More. Post Less.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Labrev wrote:
07 Aug 2023 11:54
A couple of years later, LaFleur still feels the sting of [Love's start @KC]. It was Wednesday of that week when he found out Love would start, and he’d wind up regretting not anticipating what Chiefs defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo—who’s aggressive to begin with—would throw at the young QB.

“They zero blitzed the hell out of us,” LaFleur says. “Would they have done that to Aaron? Probably not. It was just a different set of circumstances, because we didn’t know until Wednesday. What I should have done in hindsight is start over with the game plan, not to throw everything out, but just have better answers for him specifically so it took a little off his plate. I was worried about it going into the game, and my biggest fears came true.

“I’m still kicking myself about that.”

So if it weren't already obvious from watching the game, LaFleur confirms he did not re-work the gameplan at all heading into Love's start against Kansas City, admits that this was a blunder on his part and that KC took advantage on defense due to his bad gameplan on O.

lol @ people whose whole argument against Love was this 1 game that MLF messed up.
Who played qb? Lol

MLF just doing a Sean payton here to take pressure off qb.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

bud fox wrote:
07 Aug 2023 14:40
Labrev wrote:
A couple of years later, LaFleur still feels the sting of [Love's start @KC]. It was Wednesday of that week when he found out Love would start, and he’d wind up regretting not anticipating what Chiefs defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo—who’s aggressive to begin with—would throw at the young QB.

“They zero blitzed the hell out of us,” LaFleur says. “Would they have done that to Aaron? Probably not. It was just a different set of circumstances, because we didn’t know until Wednesday. What I should have done in hindsight is start over with the game plan, not to throw everything out, but just have better answers for him specifically so it took a little off his plate. I was worried about it going into the game, and my biggest fears came true.

“I’m still kicking myself about that.”

So if it weren't already obvious from watching the game, LaFleur confirms he did not re-work the gameplan at all heading into Love's start against Kansas City, admits that this was a blunder on his part and that KC took advantage on defense due to his bad gameplan on O.

lol @ people whose whole argument against Love was this 1 game that MLF messed up.
Who played qb? Lol

A first-time starter, which is exactly why MLF's words are not coachspeak.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
07 Aug 2023 15:28
bud fox wrote:
07 Aug 2023 14:40
Labrev wrote:

Who played qb? Lol

A first-time starter, which is exactly why MLF's words are not coachspeak.
that game meant nothing to me, didn't expect Love to do all that well, but for Lafleur to say he didn't have a backup plan in case Love had to play and schemes designed for that purpose doesn't ring out like something Lafleur would not do.

I think he simply struggled making quick decisions or have the ability to deal with a stellar pass rush, not as though even a seasoned QB does any of that all that well.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Feel like most people on here hammered Lafleur for that game more than they hammered love. It was quite obvious that Lafleur just waltzed into that game pretending Rodgers was still QB. What an egregious error. He said he didnt know Love would start until Wednesday...thats plenty of time!! Lol you dont play until Sunday. I could understand if they found out Saturday night. This was a massive red flag to me in terms of what Lafleur might look like without 12. How you just gonna roll up and expect Love to be able to execute what you expect Rodgers to execute? That was malpractice, folks.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
07 Aug 2023 15:40
that game meant nothing to me, didn't expect Love to do all that well, but for Lafleur to say he didn't have a backup plan in case Love had to play and schemes designed for that purpose doesn't ring out like something Lafleur would not do.

I think he simply struggled making quick decisions or have the ability to deal with a stellar pass rush, not as though even a seasoned QB does any of that all that well.
I'm sure he had a general backup plan and schemes designed for Love playing.

What he didn't seem to have was a gameplan for Love against KC, specifically, that week. MLF only had a KC gameplan for Aaron because they didn't have reason (until Wednesday) to think he was not going to play. So the question is, what was their response when they did find that out?

Apparently, they mostly just kept the same gameplan as if Aaron was QB. Well, it showed. I'm sure he threw in a few things specifically for Love, like the very predictable first play bootleg roll-out that KC saw coming from miles away, but clearly whatever few things he added for Love were no help against those all-out blitzes.

Then we get to the more silly thing bud is trying to imply, which is that Love (making his first ever pro start) simply should be able to audible out of it just as effectively as Rodgers, a guy who has started like fifteen seasons by that point.

I mean that is just straightforwardly ridiculous. Rodgers himself didn't have that ability in Year 2. Belichick's Pats D ate him alive with a WR playing CB for them.

Of course MLF is trying to take blame off of Love. Sometimes a coach takes the blame because he is, in fact, the one to blame.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Lafleur has proven to be great on script. He’s actually proven to not be great when adjustments need to be made. We’ve seen it time and time again that his teams NEED to get a td lead while in the first couple series of each half. The hope is that he can improve in this area of weakness with experience. Because currently, it’s a black eye.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Drj820 wrote:
07 Aug 2023 17:27
Lafleur has proven to be great on script. He’s actually proven to not be great when adjustments need to be made. We’ve seen it time and time again that his teams NEED to get a td lead while in the first couple series of each half. The hope is that he can improve in this area of weakness with experience. Because currently, it’s a black eye.
Love has proven nothing yet. Nada. Bupkis. Maybe let him play a few games first. And "this team" hasn't played a game together yet. So again, maybe let them take a whack at it first.
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

paco wrote:
07 Aug 2023 17:34
Drj820 wrote:
Love has proven nothing yet. Nada. Bupkis. Maybe let him play a few games first. And "this team" hasn't played a game together yet. So again, maybe let them take a whack at it first.
Can you read?

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Drj820 wrote:
07 Aug 2023 17:57
paco wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
Can you read?
Yep. This team is completely different than anything he's ever had. Give it a minute.
RIP JustJeff

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

Labrev wrote:

I'm definitely not interested in making any final evaluation of Love solely based on that game but his inability to read a blitz in that one is reason for concern in my opinion.
Labrev wrote:
07 Aug 2023 17:07
Then we get to the more silly thing bud is trying to imply, which is that Love (making his first ever pro start) simply should be able to audible out of it just as effectively as Rodgers, a guy who has started like fifteen seasons by that point.
I agree it would have been unrealistic to expect Love to deal with the Chiefs' blitzes as well as Rodgers would have. But he could have done a better job of it.

We'll see if he has improved in that area over the first few weeks over the first few games.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

paco wrote:
07 Aug 2023 23:19
Drj820 wrote:
07 Aug 2023 17:57
paco wrote:

Can you read?
Yep. This team is completely different than anything he's ever had. Give it a minute.
Guess the answer is…no.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
07 Aug 2023 17:07
Yoop wrote:
07 Aug 2023 15:40

I'm sure he had a general backup plan and schemes designed for Love playing.

What he didn't seem to have was a gameplan for Love against KC, specifically, that week. MLF only had a KC gameplan for Aaron because they didn't have reason (until Wednesday) to think he was not going to play. So the question is, what was their response when they did find that out?

Apparently, they mostly just kept the same gameplan as if Aaron was QB. Well, it showed. I'm sure he threw in a few things specifically for Love, like the very predictable first play bootleg roll-out that KC saw coming from miles away, but clearly whatever few things he added for Love were no help against those all-out blitzes.

I mean that is just straightforwardly ridiculous. Rodgers himself didn't have that ability in Year 2. Belichick's Pats D ate him alive with a WR playing CB for them.

Of course MLF is trying to take blame off of Love. Sometimes a coach takes the blame because he is, in fact, the one to blame.
sounds easy reading about it, we all can think up about who shoulda done what, and when they shoulda done it, again, I think Lafleur is defending Love, and just absorbing the blame himself, ( I agree with Bud about that) I also don't think there was a lot of adjusting that could have shielded Love from the all out pass rush, the execution of the plays failed, the end around was not disguised well enough pre snap, and that is why KC new it was coming.

any QB will struggle under a intense pass rush, we see that every week from even the best, it is the number one reason young QB's bust out, it is to a QB what kryptonite is to superman, and it's basically my only reason for thinking Love will struggle, imo, last season showed he's made some improvement.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Drj820 wrote:
07 Aug 2023 16:02
Feel like most people on here hammered Lafleur for that game more than they hammered love. It was quite obvious that Lafleur just waltzed into that game pretending Rodgers was still QB. What an egregious error. He said he didnt know Love would start until Wednesday...thats plenty of time!! Lol you dont play until Sunday. I could understand if they found out Saturday night. This was a massive red flag to me in terms of what Lafleur might look like without 12. How you just gonna roll up and expect Love to be able to execute what you expect Rodgers to execute? That was malpractice, folks.
Fair- but also to be fair, he's still a young coach. They make mistakes. If what he says is true he's thought about the mistake plenty, hopefully he has learned from it.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Drj820 wrote:
But wasn't this the primary gripe about his predecessor? I thought one of the main reasons LaFleur was hired was because he was a young innovative mind in the mold of Sean McVay, who could improvise on the spot.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Captain_Ben wrote:
08 Aug 2023 09:44
Drj820 wrote:
But wasn't this the primary gripe about his predecessor? I thought one of the main reasons LaFleur was hired was because he was a young innovative mind in the mold of Sean McVay, who could improvise on the spot.
Great question. Why did the Packers hire LaCoach anyway? To spew "complementary football" blah blah.......... LoL

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

Yoop wrote:
08 Aug 2023 07:14
sounds easy reading about it, we all can think up about who shoulda done what, and when they shoulda done it, again, I think Lafleur is defending Love, and just absorbing the blame himself, ( I agree with Bud about that) I also don't think there was a lot of adjusting that could have shielded Love from the all out pass rush, the execution of the plays failed, the end around was not disguised well enough pre snap, and that is why KC new it was coming.

any QB will struggle under a intense pass rush, we see that every week from even the best, it is the number one reason young QB's bust out, it is to a QB what kryptonite is to superman, and it's basically my only reason for thinking Love will struggle, imo, last season showed he's made some improvement.
It's true that most quarterbacks struggle when being pressured for most of the game. I wonder if another quarterback would have been able to read the Chiefs' defense well enough to negate some of their pass rush though.

Actually that's what I'm most worried about with Love. I'm convinced he has all the athletic tools necessary to be a great QB at the pro level. I'm not sure he's capable of correctly reading a defense for the majority of plays though. If he can't he won't end up having a good career though.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

CWIMM wrote:
09 Aug 2023 02:30
Yoop wrote:
08 Aug 2023 07:14

It's true that most quarterbacks struggle when being pressured for most of the game. I wonder if another quarterback would have been able to read the Chiefs' defense well enough to negate some of their pass rush though.

Actually that's what I'm most worried about with Love. I'm convinced he has all the athletic tools necessary to be a great QB at the pro level. I'm not sure he's capable of correctly reading a defense for the majority of plays though. If he can't he won't end up having a good career though.
I don't think another QB would have made a difference. The offense has to have the answers to beat the pressure and by LaFleur's own admission, they didn't that day. One of the things I have most appreciated about Andy Herman this training camp is reporting on Love's decision making through the ups and downs. Everyone else tweets out big pass plays and ugly pass plays, but there are 100 variables there. It seems Love has, more times than not, made the right reads and that is super encouraging to me. As you say, with the tools he has, I think the rest will come and he can put it all together.

Read More. Post Less.