Cheese Curds - 2020 - News Around The League

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

paco wrote:
28 Dec 2020 07:59
The NFL can twist the NFLPA's arm on this one pretty hard, probably promising that the cap won't fall as much as it could in exchange for the 17th game...

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

salmar80 wrote:
28 Dec 2020 08:05
paco wrote:
28 Dec 2020 07:59
The NFL can twist the NFLPA's arm on this one pretty hard, probably promising that the cap won't fall as much as it could in exchange for the 17th game...
True, but sounds like it is essentially a done deal. Reducing the preseason games and the extra media money will help the cap and the players a bit. How much remains to be seen. But the cap should look a little better next year. Still a few rumblings it could even remain the same as it is this year. But I still expect it to drop some.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Best team in the NFL

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

salmar80 wrote:
28 Dec 2020 08:01
Interesting perspective on the tanking thing:

Also, from his PFT article on the topic: "The teams that have a quarterback picked in the Top 5 on their roster (the Browns, Dolphins, Bengals, Jets, Rams, Cardinals, Bears, Lions, Eagles and Falcons) have a combined record of 60-78-2 this season."
And then there is this...

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

APB wrote:
28 Dec 2020 09:59
salmar80 wrote:

Also, from his PFT article on the topic: "The teams that have a quarterback picked in the Top 5 on their roster (the Browns, Dolphins, Bengals, Jets, Rams, Cardinals, Bears, Lions, Eagles and Falcons) have a combined record of 60-78-2 this season."
And then there is this...

So that's true if you have already made the replacement at the top--the head coach and GM, perhaps.

But, like, Adam Gase isn't going to establish a winning culture with the Jets to carry forward into the next year. Nor is Dough Marrone with the Jags.

It also matter which year it happens. Tanking in a year with an Andrew Luck or a Trevor Lawrence matters more than tanking in a year where going into the season there isn't a clear #1 easily atop the mountain. And it's worth noting that winning 5 of the final 9 games did not cost the Dolphins a shot at a potentially tankable QB they might have targeted all along, with a bit of Tua injury luck.

That's why the tanking needs to be organizational. Flores coached his tail off and found some good long-term pieces and valued winning, but the roster was so bad that they could still get a top-5 pick even with a coach establishing a winning culture. If the Jags get Trevor Lawrence and pair him with the right HC moving forward, this will have been a very effective organizational tank, and the next HC and the players that are carried forward into the next era can worry about establishing the winning culture.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Haskins cut in Washington. No surprise. What a mess.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

paco wrote:
28 Dec 2020 11:44
Washington fans seem to think it was never Haskins' goal to become a great NFL player. His goal was to get drafted high and thus become rich and popular. Had no motivation to improve his play, and as a selfish a-hole, he was a terrible leader on and off the field.

Unless he eats some major humble pie and accepts a backup/developmental role for some team (if there even is such a team willing to roll the dice on athletic talent), this is it for him.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

salmar80 wrote:
28 Dec 2020 13:39
paco wrote:
Washington fans seem to think it was never Haskins' goal to become a great NFL player. His goal was to get drafted high and thus become rich and popular. Had no motivation to improve his play, and as a selfish a-hole, he was a terrible leader on and off the field.

Unless he eats some major humble pie and accepts a backup/developmental role for some team (if there even is such a team willing to roll the dice on athletic talent), this is it for him.
No doubt there will always be some coach or GM who thinks he can turn him into a solid player, Sean Payton comes to mind. But he's a trud and a lazy ass. Jameis Winston is light years better than this clown.

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

salmar80 wrote:

Underscores that this is truly a team game, which is why I absolutely love this sport.

I've always been a Milwaukee Bucks fan but haven't followed them in..in a few decades. Call me a bandwagoner, but when Kohl sold the team and they started to make intelligent moves, I started to pay more attention. The success of a team in basketball can hinge on having just one or two top tier talents (i.e. LeBron) and that just isn't the case in football.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Finally made myself a little spreadsheet here so I can see this all out. :aok:

Few notes about some possible moves.
- Jimmy Garappolo has very little dead cap to move from, 23.5 million cap savings
- Same for Derek Carr, about 20 million in cap savings next year
- Matt Stafford's contract wouldn't be bad to trade, Lions would save just over 10 million in 2021 cap

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the 9ers or Raiders make a move for a QB, draft or player.

image.png
image.png (104.17 KiB) Viewed 469 times

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
28 Dec 2020 15:20
Finally made myself a little spreadsheet here so I can see this all out.
You should make this its own thread. A little QB Carousel projection thread

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
28 Dec 2020 16:06
BF004 wrote:
28 Dec 2020 15:20
Finally made myself a little spreadsheet here so I can see this all out.
You should make this its own thread. A little QB Carousel projection thread
Perhaps as we are nearing FA and the draft.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Never liked Brooks, did like the other though without saying his name. :lol:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BF004 wrote:
29 Dec 2020 23:14

Never liked Brooks, did like the other though without saying his name. :lol:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

https://www.spotrac.com/research/nfl/20 ... bles-1132/

I found this page very helpful. Succinctly breaks down pretty much the entire NFL and players maybe likely to have their contract ended one way or the other.
We've identified players from each NFL team who may be trending toward the 2021 roster bubble, based on performance vs. compensation & dead cap structure.
Given our lot of likely compensatory picks earned this offseason (King, Linsley, Jones, Williams, Adams), any free agents we may sign will more than likely be coming from that list as cap casualties.

For the seemingly several hundred Packers listed, kind of cool there are only 3 listed, Dean, Preston and Kirksey. Although I think Ricky Wagner should be on there as well, given some of the other people on the list.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

paco wrote:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Lot of truth to what Booger said but I do disagree with his emphasis on this "me first" brand building mentality manifesting itself more significantly in AA players. I see this issue as a generational issue, not racial. There are many examples of both black and white players (I cite these two simply because they are the predominant racial groups in the NFL) taking this path. White athletes like Johnny Manziel, Mark Sanchez (well, white-ish, anyway ;) ), Tim Tebow, and Matt Leinart immediately come to mind.

The NFL would do itself a favor if they spent more time and money schooling these top drafted kids on staying focused on the real prize - a long NFL career - rather than a fleeting social media following that dissipates almost immediately following their release from whatever team they've been under-performing for.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I will say, the Tuesday Pat McAfee show actually had some nice coverage on Booger's take right after the Rodgers segment.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I wouldn't even say this is generational, or racial, or anything like that. It is the nature of young adults who do not know what it takes to be successful. It isn't just a sports thing either. There have been &%$@ workers as long as workers have existed.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."