Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Scott4Pack wrote:
01 Nov 2021 10:19
The idea that wining many games is meaningless if you never win the big one is crazy. Obviously, as is the case with 99% of the stuff here, it's entirely subjective. I think "crazy" is probably an over-the-top description.There were a good number of teams and great players over the years who never won the big one. Obviously, true. And your point is...?There never was a Super Bowl or championship game over most of the history of the NFL.Not true. There has been a single, end-of season championship game since 1933 Were all of those games meaningless too?From 1920-1932, the champion was the team with the best win percentage. Hence, in those years, each game did have meaning. Since then, the champion has been the team winning the championship/Super Bowl game, so just winning a bunch of games comes (subjectively) pretty close to meaningless. At the end of Super Bowl XLII, would you rather have been a fan of the Pats or the Giants?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Jeebus Rams.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

paco wrote:
01 Nov 2021 11:40
That's a significant move. Rams hate draft picks apparently.
Broncos getting more draft capital to make a mover for Erin. :lol:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Rams gotta be the current super bowl favs
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Z Smith is much better than Von Miller at this point.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

I am waiting for Johnson to re-retire and join his buddy Stafford for a "last dance". :munch: This trade is blockbusta.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
01 Nov 2021 12:01
Z Smith is much better than Von Miller at this point.
that before back surgery Z or what?

Also, Von has been the center of attention for a long time. We havent seen him on a team that the opponent also has to worry about a leonard floyd and an Aaron Donald.

Bradley Chubb hasnt been available enough to see how that was supposed to work

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Labrev wrote:
01 Nov 2021 11:36
Uhh, guys...

Donald and Von Miller on the same front? Yikes.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Raptorman wrote:
01 Nov 2021 11:14
go pak go wrote:
01 Nov 2021 11:00
image.png
Remember, the Packers playoff appearances go back to the 1930s. While some of those teams only came into play in 1960.
5 Playoff appearances before 1960.

Overall, I don't really get too caught up on the history and that sort of thing. I really only care about the Packers in my lifetime. Don't get me wrong, I love the Packers history and what it means, but I don't get too caught up in 13 time world champions.

I basically have 1 season where I was cognizant of what was happening where the Packers won it all. So I only really count 2010 for my own fanhood. I experienced 1 SB. It was awesome, but it was also kind of weird because we were 10-6 (though competitive 10-6). I really want to experience a SB where we were the dominant team all year.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Miller is 32. While he is a nice addition, it's not a blockbuster. Smith is a better addition to the 2021 Packer than Miller is to the 2021 Rams.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

Raptorman wrote:
31 Oct 2021 12:10
"Winning doesn't mean sh*t if you don't win the big game."
Pretty much sums it up for me too. You play the NFL to win the SB, so if you don't then all the preseason, season and postseason was in vain, eventually. The rest just comes down to sugarcoating your failure. The key is either to lower your goals ("we do not play for the SB but just as hard as we can") or to shut up and try again to win that bastard.

But I do not think we did bad. We won two SBs with Favre and Rodgers. That's pretty much ok. A lot depends on pure luck in this league which is even magnified by its Playoff-system. Yes, there is Brady and his 23 titles but that is an aberration of the normal distribution like you see once in 100 years.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I equate this acquisition to when they had Robert Quinn and Conner Barwin rushing from the outside along with Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers up front back in 2017.

Their defense was pretty unbeatable back then, too...until 6th seeded Atlanta beat them in LA in the wildcard round scoring 26 points.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

It is genuinely wild how much conversation there is here of like "Sure, we've been a historically good franchise for 30 years, but we almost built a dynasty on multiple occasions in that time and instead, remained very good; and that seems unfair and bad to me"

Like yeah, when we won in '96, I thought we'd win again in '97 or '98 and the '98 loss to the 49ers still breaks my heart between the Jerry Rice fumble and the launching of T.O. from Terrell Owens the disappointing drop machine to TO the beast who wins games and gets fined.

And yeah, after 2010, definitely thought we could win 2 more in the next 3-5 years, and we didn't.

And yup, 2019, 2020, and 2021 is turning into a window of possibilities not fulfilled.

But we've had 30 years of success! That's not a bad thing ever. It's not worse to get close 5 times and "only" win twice than to not get close or to get close and never win. Being a Packers fan is wonderful and the only thing that even remotely makes it not wonderful are a) Tom Brady, UGH; and b) fans that are too entitled to enjoy the ride.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

APB wrote:
01 Nov 2021 12:29
I equate this acquisition to when they had Robert Quinn and Conner Barwin rushing from the outside along with Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers up front back in 2017.

Their defense was pretty unbeatable back then, too...until 6th seeded Atlanta beat them in LA in the wildcard round scoring 26 points.
Yeah...

Look, Miller is not prime Miller, but come on, this move moves the needle for sure. It's a big deal. It's a bigger addition than Jaylon or Mercilus. And it's a team that's already had a pretty dominant year with one setback.

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

I wonder if the Miller-deal makes Gute pull the trade trigger more recklessly now. Also for #12: isn't that a big blow for him in terms of a trade next season?

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:

Yea I would say their hope for this year is that Stafford will help push the O up above 30 points a game, and then they hope to field a D that wont be giving up 30 pts at almost any time.

Probably a formula that gives them a nice opportunity to win a lot of games.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
01 Nov 2021 12:32
APB wrote:

Yeah...

Look, Miller is not prime Miller, but come on, this move moves the needle for sure. It's a big deal. It's a bigger addition than Jaylon or Mercilus. And it's a team that's already had a pretty dominant year with one setback.
Sure it's a big deal. It makes them even more formidable up front. But I don't see it as any kind of clinching move or that this immediately vaults them to no. 1 contender status.

Their defense is currently 21st in yds/gm and 10th in pts/gm. Much of their yards given up come through the air where they are 20th in yds/gm. Miller is gonna help in that regard, no doubt, with his ability to rush the passer.

His addition to that defense doesn't make it an historically good defense though. Five years ago Von Miller? Yeah, maybe so. Today? Not so much. They'll be better but still beatable.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
01 Nov 2021 12:31
It is genuinely wild how much conversation there is here of like "Sure, we've been a historically good franchise for 30 years, but we almost built a dynasty on multiple occasions in that time and instead, remained very good; and that seems unfair and bad to me"

Like yeah, when we won in '96, I thought we'd win again in '97 or '98 and the '98 loss to the 49ers still breaks my heart between the Jerry Rice fumble and the launching of T.O. from Terrell Owens the disappointing drop machine to TO the beast who wins games and gets fined.

And yeah, after 2010, definitely thought we could win 2 more in the next 3-5 years, and we didn't.

And yup, 2019, 2020, and 2021 is turning into a window of possibilities not fulfilled.

But we've had 30 years of success! That's not a bad thing ever. It's not worse to get close 5 times and "only" win twice than to not get close or to get close and never win. Being a Packers fan is wonderful and the only thing that even remotely makes it not wonderful are a) Tom Brady, UGH; and b) fans that are too entitled to enjoy the ride.
haha, just ask any detroit fan if they could have our last 30 years or just two SB trophy's? ask any owner of a team with a losing track record which matters most. :lol:

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Yoop wrote:
01 Nov 2021 12:57
YoHoChecko wrote:
01 Nov 2021 12:31

haha, just ask any detroit fan if they could have our last 30 years or just two SB trophy's? ask any owner of a team with a losing track record which matters most. :lol:
The Lions are just a tax write-off for the owners.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
01 Nov 2021 12:55
YoHoChecko wrote:
01 Nov 2021 12:32
APB wrote:

Yeah...

Sure it's a big deal. It makes them even more formidable up front. But I don't see it as any kind of clinching move or that this immediately vaults them to no. 1 contender status.

Their defense is currently 21st in yds/gm and 10th in pts/gm. Much of their yards given up come through the air where they are 20th in yds/gm. Miller is gonna help in that regard, no doubt, with his ability to rush the passer.

His addition to that defense doesn't make it an historically good defense though. Five years ago Von Miller? Yeah, maybe so. Today? Not so much. They'll be better but still beatable.
of course it does, this is what I dont understand from you and others that think one player wont or doesn't make a difference, typically only one or two plays decide the outcome of play off games, thats said from coaches all the time, yet you and others just refuse to believe it.

heck Mercilus could provide a sack fumble on the last play of a game just like Von Miller might for the Rams