Green Bay Packers News 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Acrobat wrote:
22 Sep 2022 08:15
texas wrote:
21 Sep 2022 22:51
I see. Seems convoluted. I'm not sold that Favre is the bad guy, although that text message sounds sus. I guess we'll see what else comes out.
He's still my favorite Packer player of all time, but yeah not a good look for him. That's why I tell my kids to never put famous people on too high of a pedestal.
He is one of my favorites too. He was the major reason the franchise was lifted out of decades of mediocre to terrible football. Living through those years gave me a greater appreciation for what Favre did for the team. It's never good to make athletes into heroes beyond their sport. They are all too human too!

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

How did Favre even know about this Welfare Fund? Was it presented to him and was he told that the monies could be spent on anything not just for Welfare related issues? So much missing information here that I will wait until all of the evidence is heard. Hard for me to believe that he was the mastermind or would consciously take money from Welfare recipients to pay for a volleyball facility. But hey you never know.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

packman114 wrote:
22 Sep 2022 10:25
How did Favre even know about this Welfare Fund? Was it presented to him and was he told that the monies could be spent on anything not just for Welfare related issues? So much missing information here that I will wait until all of the evidence is heard. Hard for me to believe that he was the mastermind or would consciously take money from Welfare recipients to pay for a volleyball facility. But hey you never know.
My hunch is that he must have known something wasn't right about it but moved forward anyway, just based on his text messages. But as to what extent he knew, no one really knows. It sounds like the guy in charge of Welfare Funds in MS just plead guilty to some felonies.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

it’s one thing to rob from the rich to give to the poor. Favre was involved in a scam that entailed stealing from the poor to give to the rich.

Favre new exactly what he was doing, and should be held accountable, along with everyone else involved in this scam.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Would have never guessed this was happening with this offense:

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Yoop wrote:
22 Sep 2022 11:01
it’s one thing to rob from the rich to give to the poor. Favre was involved in a scam that entailed stealing from the poor to give to the rich.

Favre new exactly what he was doing, and should be held accountable, along with everyone else involved in this scam.
Well, we definitely don't know this yet. Let's just see what comes out.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

APB wrote:
22 Sep 2022 14:47
Would have never guessed this was happening with this offense:

Wow. Me either

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

texas wrote:
22 Sep 2022 16:45
Yoop wrote:

you don't know it yet because you don't want to believe it.

how do you dismiss comments like this

In particular, it was hard to see how Favre couldn't have known where he was getting his money when he wrote this in 2017:

If you were to pay me is there anyway the media can find out where it came from and how much?

Favre new and was willing to deceive the tax payers, that much seems obvious.

Yahoo Sports
ESPN Milwaukee station pauses weekly Brett Favre appearances amid welfare scandal
Jack Baer
Jack Baer·Writer
Fri, September 23, 2022 at 9:08 PM
So much is still up in the air as authorities and the media look into Brett Favre's alleged role in the welfare scandal rocking the Green Bay Packers legend's home state of Mississippi, but some of his partners are already beginning to back away.

ESPN Milwaukee, the local ESPN affiliate operated by Good Karma Brands (an interesting name given the circumstances), said it has "paused" Favre's weekly appearances on the station, a spokesperson told Front Office Sports.

Front Office Sports mentions SiriusXM and 33rdTeam as other media outlets with existing deals with Favre, though it notes Favre has not contributed to either of them since Sept. 13.

Favre's public profile receding is just one of the consequences to emerge from a scandal that has progressively gotten worse for the Pro Football Hall of Famer since it first saw daylight in 2020 via the reporting of Mississippi Today.

Some sponsors slowly backing away from Brett Favre
In addition to losing media partners, some of Favre's sponsors have reportedly begun to back away from him.

Hallow, a Catholic prayer and meditation app, and Odyssey Health, a medical technology company, have quietly scrubbed mentions of Favre from their websites, per Front Office Sports. Neither company returned messages from the outlet.

Not everyone is backing away from Favre, though, as Copper Fit, a compression sleeve company, reportedly issued a statement claiming Favre had been cleared of wrongdoing two years ago:

“Copper Fit has worked with Brett Favre for nearly nine years,” Copper Fit said. “He has always acted honorably, and we know him to be a very decent man. To our knowledge, he was cleared of any wrong-doing two years ago. We are confident that will be the case in the civil suit.”

Brett Favre's welfare scandal isn't going away
When Favre's involvement was first reported, it was treated by many as a weird quirk in a larger story.

A Hall of Fame NFL quarterback who made more than $100 million during his career took $1 million in welfare money to ostensibly make some speeches and cut some ads. It certainly reflected badly upon Favre, who quickly pledged to repay the money (which he did, minus the interest), but he received plenty benefit of the doubt.

Favre himself pleaded innocence and, at worst, ignorance through it all, claiming he had no idea the money came from Temporary Assistance for Needy Families funds, a federal program intended to help some of the poorest people in the country.

That veneer of "aw shucks, I made a mistake" was seemingly stripped away earlier this month with the publishing of texts between Favre and some of the alleged (and since convicted) leaders of the reported scheme. The report also demonstrated Favre had allegedly helped divert $5 million more in TANF funds to build a volleyball arena at his alma mater at Southern Miss, where his daughter recently played volleyball.

MIAMI, FLORIDA - JANUARY 31: Former NFL player Brett Favre speaks onstage during day 3 of SiriusXM at Super Bowl LIV on January 31, 2020 in Miami, Florida. (Photo by Cindy Ord/Getty Images for SiriusXM )
Brett Favre's alleged involvement in a Mississippi welfare scheme keeps looking worse
In particular, it was hard to see how Favre couldn't have known where he was getting his money when he wrote this in 2017:

If you were to pay me is there anyway the media can find out where it came from and how much?

Favre has since been questioned by the FBI over the alleged scheme, and it's unclear what further repercussions he could face. He has so far not been reported to be under criminal investigation, though he still has a civil suit to deal with from the state of Mississippi.

Considering how far this whole story has already spiraled, however, and how many people allegedly involved have struck plea deals, the bottom of this might not be pleasant for Favre.
Last edited by Yoop on 24 Sep 2022 09:21, edited 1 time in total.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
24 Sep 2022 07:42
texas wrote:
22 Sep 2022 16:45
Yoop wrote:

you don't know it yet because you don't want to believe it.

how do you dismiss comments like this

Favre new and was willing to deceive the tax payers, that much seems obvious.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/espn-milwa ... re-appeara
FYI

Your link is incomplete. It only leads to the Yahoo main page.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

texas wrote:
Acrobat wrote:
21 Sep 2022 16:43
texas wrote:
21 Sep 2022 16:00

Yeah, but what are the details. I know next to nothing other than this^ apparently happened and that twitter is all mad at him and complaining that Mike Vick got in more trouble. I know it's something about welfare checks.
https://mississippitoday.org/2022/09/13 ... e-welfare/
I see. Seems convoluted. I'm not sold that Favre is the bad guy, although that text message sounds sus. I guess we'll see what else comes out.
The fact that the explanation is convoluted makes me skeptical and more inclined to believe that there is some degree of BS to the story. Typically when the media knows they have a story with a real smoking gun, their reports are concise and to the point. But instead it's like that columnist tried to make the article so long winded and boring that the average reader will just quit reading halfway through but still walk away thinking Favre is guilty because "welp, that's what the headline said." No offense to the guy who brought the article BTW, thank you for bringing it.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Watkins to IR, Patrick Taylor to 53.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
24 Sep 2022 12:52
He's got a 4 week hammy... FFS.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

BF004 wrote:
Ñot shocked
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Captain_Ben wrote:
24 Sep 2022 11:43
texas wrote:
The fact that the explanation is convoluted makes me skeptical and more inclined to believe that there is some degree of BS to the story. Typically when the media knows they have a story with a real smoking gun, their reports are concise and to the point. But instead it's like that columnist tried to make the article so long winded and boring that the average reader will just quit reading halfway through but still walk away thinking Favre is guilty because "welp, that's what the headline said." No offense to the guy who brought the article BTW, thank you for bringing it.
Yeah, I couldn't tell why I was immediately skeptical but I realized it was because all the people trying to drum up the outrage on twitter are the same ones who always overplay and whine about BS stuff and themselves have no moral compass other than whichever way the secular winds of outrage are blowing.

That being said, I truly have no idea on this so I'll still just wait until we find out more. Certainly won't condemn Favre at this point however.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I support Brett Favre no matter what unless he is accused of anything sexual related to minors. As for this situation, Favre is obviously totally innocent.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Brett Favre wrote: If you were to pay me is there anyway the media can find out where it came from and how much?
that statement was neither convoluted, made up, or coerced, he is obviously willing to accept the money as long as the amount and where it came from is kept private, if that isn't a admonishment of guilt I'd like to know what is.

this might be about his pay for speaking engagements, which he didn't do and also repaid the money's, or it could be about money given to him from the welfare found which was used to build the college, either way Favre isn't a idiot, he had to know this was under the table money, tax payer dollars, being funneled to a private enterprise.

I get it, we all want to defend our hero's, I've been accused of that concerning Rodgers, but only when it comes to football related topics, Rodgers has exposed aspects of himself I'd never support, and over the years Favre has too, and this is another issue where he has egg on his face.

and no mater what happens to Favre, he could end up in prison, that will in no way void him from being a catalyst to one of the greatest team rebuilding successes in NFL history, I look at this situation as two completely different things.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

yoop wrote: that statement was neither convoluted, made up, or coerced, he is obviously willing to accept the money as long as the amount and where it came from is kept private, if that isn't a admonishment of guilt I'd like to know what is.
:dunno:

You might want to look up the meaning of the word admonishment.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Sep 2022 17:56
I support Brett Favre no matter what unless he is accused of anything sexual related to minors. As for this situation, Favre is obviously totally innocent.
I love the qualifier "to minors". :rotf:

Dicky picks, the way of the Innocent man.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

BF004 wrote:
Good. When Rodgers likes a receiver, take him away pronto. Watkins had a good game last week, shut him down now.

Also, mlf wouldn't commit to 2RB sets because there wasn't another RB on the roster. Now there is. Keep emphasizing that ground game.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto