Rodgers Watch 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Rodgers 2023

Poll ended at 03 Jun 2023 21:19

Retired
7%
Traded
66%
Packer
27%

Total votes: 44

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Now this morning, as AR is poised to speak, look at the perspectives of the teams.

The Packers might be content to wait a while before completing the trade. They are in no hurry. And they see how the QB market is drying up for the NYJ. One writer has suggested that they would like this deal to be similar to the deal that the Rams gave Detroit for Stafford. (I doubt that is realistic.)

The Jets, on the other hand, can hardly be satisfied by waiting. They have made it clear that they see 12 as the key to their resurgence. They will feel the pressure to act sooner than later to bring in 12, especially now that they have brought in Lazard and might bring in others.

If I were a fly on the wall, I would be tempted to think that the deal will NOT be completed today.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Scott4Pack wrote:
15 Mar 2023 08:16
Now this morning, as AR is poised to speak, look at the perspectives of the teams.

The Packers might be content to wait a while before completing the trade. They are in no hurry. And they see how the QB market is drying up for the NYJ. One writer has suggested that they would like this deal to be similar to the deal that the Rams gave Detroit for Stafford. (I doubt that is realistic.)

The Jets, on the other hand, can hardly be satisfied by waiting. They have made it clear that they see 12 as the key to their resurgence. They will feel the pressure to act sooner than later to bring in 12, especially now that they have brought in Lazard and might bring in others.

If I were a fly on the wall, I would be tempted to think that the deal will NOT be completed today.
I agree with this assessment.

I'm glad to see rumblings hitting the media that the Packers are willing to wait to get the deal they want. They have that leverage and the Jets will care more about the clock. That is the type of negotiation I wanted to occur, and that it's leaking out that way sends signals that it happens.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Today is the start of FA. Which has been everyone’s deadline. Also, Rodgers is making a special appearance on McAfee. So today is probably the day. Finally.
Love is the answer…

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

go pak go wrote:
14 Mar 2023 17:49
But seriously though.

There were some f*cking great times as a Packers fan from 2008 - 2021. Disappointed it didn't result in more hardware. But what a freaking ride.

2009, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016 2nd half, 2019, 2020 and 2021 were just such special and fun seasons.
Obviously, several folks agree, but I think this list helps define why some of us don't. I don't see how anyone can call 2011 and 2014 fun, but I sure wish I could feel that way.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

YoHoChecko wrote:
15 Mar 2023 08:53
Scott4Pack wrote:
15 Mar 2023 08:16

I agree with this assessment.

I'm glad to see rumblings hitting the media that the Packers are willing to wait to get the deal they want. They have that leverage and the Jets will care more about the clock. That is the type of negotiation I wanted to occur, and that it's leaking out that way sends signals that it happens.
There is also a risk in waiting. What if the Jets get sick of playing Rodger's games and move on to someone else? Since the QB market has basically dried up, there is no team willing to give up much at all for Rodgers.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

williewasgreat wrote:
15 Mar 2023 09:20
There is also a risk in waiting. What if the Jets get sick of playing Rodger's games and move on to someone else? Since the QB market has basically dried up, there is no team willing to give up much at all for Rodgers.
I think that could quickly change if/when, after FA and the draft, a team looks at their roster and sees a hole at QB but feel good about everything else.

I don't think the offers will be overly lucrative, but if the Jets' offer right now isn't either, then it's a moot point anyway. If they want the deal done now, make it worth our while.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Half Empty wrote:
15 Mar 2023 09:19
go pak go wrote:
But seriously though.

There were some f*cking great times as a Packers fan from 2008 - 2021. Disappointed it didn't result in more hardware. But what a freaking ride.

2009, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016 2nd half, 2019, 2020 and 2021 were just such special and fun seasons.
Obviously, several folks agree, but I think this list helps define why some of us don't. I don't see how anyone can call 2011 and 2014 fun, but I sure wish I could feel that way.
How about this:

It was fun until it wasn't.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Half Empty wrote:
15 Mar 2023 09:19
go pak go wrote:
But seriously though.

Would you say.....the glass is half empty?

Heyo!

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

So, a recent report is that GB wants multiple 1sts and NY doesn't want to pay that. AR does want to play for the Jets.

Why would GB's GM let AR talk to NY if compensation was not already agreed upon?

If that is true, then Gutey f'ed this up.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I like that we are fighting for fair compensation.

At the same time, hope this can get resolved sooner than later. Really don't want to poke the bear on this one, don't think Aaron would be afraid to go some kind of scorched Earth route.

And there is value to treating your players well, in terms of negotiations and attracting players here. Don't think we should be treating Aaron like a pawn in all of this, players notice.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I am thinking the only news that’ll come out of McAfee today is that YES Aaron wants to play. That isn’t even news except that it comes from his mouth.

Anything else would be later unless the Jets cave on a deal.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
15 Mar 2023 10:26
So, a recent report is that GB wants multiple 1sts and NY doesn't want to pay that. AR does want to play for the Jets.

Why would GB's GM let AR talk to NY if compensation was not already agreed upon?

If that is true, then Gutey f'ed this up.
Some many here are so quick to draw such weird and absolute conclusions.

Sounded somewhat like A) Aaron needed to be talked out of retirement B) Jets need to know Aaron's level of verbal committment, 1 year, 2 year, 3 years, before they could consider trade compensation. C) We still don't know what we don't know on the Packers end, Aaron's end, Jets end.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
15 Mar 2023 10:31
I am thinking the only news that’ll come out of McAfee today is that YES Aaron wants to play. That isn’t even news except that it comes from his mouth.

Anything else would be later unless the Jets cave on a deal.
Yeah, sounding less and less like we'll actually find anything out. Other than potentially Aaron wants to play or retire.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Foosball wrote:
14 Mar 2023 12:27
Pugger wrote:
14 Mar 2023 12:06
Foosball wrote:
14 Mar 2023 11:35
One thing that really bothers me about Rodgers dictating who should be on the team is that it means another player(s) will not make the team that deserved a shot.
Is Rodgers demanding NY sign his buddies or is NY doing this to entice a reluctant QB to sign with them?
Considering Rodgers has done this before and the trade is delayed (for some reason), what do you think?
Done this before? What am I missing here? This is the first time trading Rodgers away was a real possiblity.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Yoop wrote:
14 Mar 2023 12:14
salmar80 wrote:
14 Mar 2023 12:01
I still don't understand what exactly @Yoop wants to happen with AR.

?
I want him to be a nice young man, quit doing ayawaska, sleeping in isolation ( the guy needs a squeeze) and quit asking the Jets to sign his buddy's, if that is in fact whats holding up this trade.

seriously I thought I've been pretty clear, I still think Rodgers is the best QB the Packers have for possibly even the next 3 years, Gutekunst in his hurry to establish that the Packers are his team moved up to draft his own QB, and now has backed him into a corner, he has to start Love or lose him.

Sal there is no way I would have given Rodgers the 120 mil. contract that Murphy did in the off season of 2018 just before hiring Lafleur, he still had 2 years left on his prior deal.
I agree with most of your assessment of this situation but Gute and company screwed up in giving AR that ridiculous extension and this is why we almost have to get most of Rodgers' contract off of our books.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

I finally realized why Rodgers wants the Jets, Malik Taylor is on their roster!

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

APB wrote:
14 Mar 2023 12:53
BF004 wrote:
14 Mar 2023 12:39
:lol: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :lol: :lol:

I’d take Garrett Wilson off their hands
The one position group on that team that is young, talented, and deep...and Rodgers want a makeover with aged, slow, post-injury buddies.

:lol: :lol:
This is a crazy situation. I suppose AR wants familiar faces in that locker room. It may not be easy for this 40 year old QB to go to a whole new team at this point in his career.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

BF004 wrote:
14 Mar 2023 15:25
I always liked Lazard as a WR/TE hybrid that is a great blocker but we can do better than him for a hell of lot less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pugger wrote:
15 Mar 2023 10:40
Yoop wrote:
14 Mar 2023 12:14
salmar80 wrote:
14 Mar 2023 12:01
I still don't understand what exactly @Yoop wants to happen with AR.

?
I want him to be a nice young man, quit doing ayawaska, sleeping in isolation ( the guy needs a squeeze) and quit asking the Jets to sign his buddy's, if that is in fact whats holding up this trade.

seriously I thought I've been pretty clear, I still think Rodgers is the best QB the Packers have for possibly even the next 3 years, Gutekunst in his hurry to establish that the Packers are his team moved up to draft his own QB, and now has backed him into a corner, he has to start Love or lose him.

Sal there is no way I would have given Rodgers the 120 mil. contract that Murphy did in the off season of 2018 just before hiring Lafleur, he still had 2 years left on his prior deal.
I agree with most of your assessment of this situation but Gute and company screwed up in giving AR that ridiculous extension and this is why we almost have to get most of Rodgers' contract off of our books.
I think that is the sticky point in this deal, who's going to pick up the 59 mil. guarantee, I think the Jets would as long as we also don't ask for #1 draft picks or starter talent players, was hoping for there slot 13 pick, but that plus the money is a steep price to pay at Rodgers age.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

YoHoChecko wrote:
14 Mar 2023 16:08
I just want to know the compensation.

I could genuinely go from elated to deflated based on realistic compensation scenarios. The range of possible outcomes is so wide
I just want to know if the deal is really done. Will an announcement be made today?