Green Bay Packers News 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

This makes my day.

I've been going nuts trying to figure out why people are so sure that a guy can play safety who hasn't played safety. In fact, he moved there for a day or two with the Packers, according to some, and for a brief time with the Eagles, according to some... AND THEY MOVED HIM BACK IMMEDIATELY, which is more evidence that he can't play safety than that he can

Rasul was a great starting CB who flopped when they moved him to nickel. He went back to starting CB and is having a great camp; now people won't shut up about him moving to safety. WE GOTTA LET PLAYERS DO WHAT THEY DO BEST

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

So he'll actually be ready by Week 4 then :lol:
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Post by kampmanfan4life »

LaFleur confirmed quarterback Jordan Love will play in the preseason finale against the Seattle Seahawks.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

kampmanfan4life wrote:
20 Aug 2023 17:23
LaFleur confirmed quarterback Jordan Love will play in the preseason finale against the Seattle Seahawks.
I'm a little surprised, but not upset. Wouldn't really have a strong opinion either way

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
20 Aug 2023 19:53
kampmanfan4life wrote:
I'm a little surprised, but not upset. Wouldn't really have a strong opinion either way
I doubt many fans cared that Wright played ahead of Ferragamo and Fusina in the 1986 preseason under Forrest Gregg.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
kampmanfan4life wrote:
With rookie TEs and very young WR corps, I like it. Especially since the Oline hasn't been a sieve.

Can't really afford a slow start to the season, so I'm fine with taking a calculated risk.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

salmar80 wrote:
20 Aug 2023 23:25
YoHoChecko wrote:
kampmanfan4life wrote:
With rookie TEs and very young WR corps, I like it. Especially since the Oline hasn't been a sieve.

Can't really afford a slow start to the season, so I'm fine with taking a calculated risk.
In the past, Rodgers did not play at all and the O was out of sync until the 2nd game. Reed, Musgrave and Kraft all need the reps and that need is more important than a minimal risk to Love. I want to see the O finely tuned in the first game and it ending with the Packers 1-0.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Ok, this is silly but it is also funny

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

TheSkeptic wrote:
21 Aug 2023 01:18
salmar80 wrote:
20 Aug 2023 23:25

In the past, Rodgers did not play at all and the O was out of sync until the 2nd game. Reed, Musgrave and Kraft all need the reps and that need is more important than a minimal risk to Love. I want to see the O finely tuned in the first game and it ending with the Packers 1-0.
Yeah, MLF I guess actually specifically said that in addition to needing to get Love the reps, it's about more than him and these players need reps together, so good call both of you

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pretty nice interview with Steno the day after the fights, before the preseason game.

He touches, with varying detail, on Josh Meyers, joint practices, Jordan's development, growing the team's understanding as to which throws and concepts the offense is better at right now than others...

I always love giving a watch to the full pressers with the coaches/assistants when we get the chance to do so. Relatively short watch (just under 14 minutes)

I liked the Joe Barry one as well and will watch STs next, but when they Steno started talking about understanding the group's strengths and sort of the team identity... when those realizations crystalize, how it interacts with roster competition, etc... Plus some insight into the OL and how Musgrave ended up trying an end around....

I felt like it was worth a share

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Kind of hoping we just sign some TE at some point, decent all around veteran (no idea who that might be). Musgrave just needs to focus on WR this year and Tucker not looking anywhere near ready yet, imo.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
21 Aug 2023 17:49
Kind of hoping we just sign some TE at some point, decent all around veteran (no idea who that might be). Musgrave just needs to focus on WR this year and Tucker not looking anywhere near ready yet, imo.
That was my expectation going INTO camp--that Kraft would be brought along slowly, splitting time doing more traditional TE things with Deguara; and Musgrave would do some traditional TE things here or there, but mostly would be replacing Lazard as a big slot asked to block in the way WRs block, not in the way TEs block.

But that is not AT ALL how he has een utilized in camp or preseason. He lines up in line all the time and as asked to block like regular TE blocking. It's not his STRENGTH, but he hasn't really stunk at it relative to NFL TEs, either. I'm surprised. I liked the guy a lot but am a big "TEs take a year" guy. It's why I so desperately wanted to keep Lewis--so we had a blocking TE in-house that could step into that role if the rooks struggle, predictably.

But saying at this point, with how he's been used and what we've been watching, that Musgrave should "focus on being a WR this year," is pretty far behind the reality of the situation. Musgrave is fully our TE1 this year, for better and for worse, 'til injury do us part.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Don't feel like searching. Anyone have ST snap counts so far this preseason?
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

paco wrote:
21 Aug 2023 22:42
Don't feel like searching. Anyone have ST snap counts so far this preseason?
I think I posted something in the patriots thread.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Aug 2023 17:55
BF004 wrote:
21 Aug 2023 17:49
That was my expectation going INTO camp--that Kraft would be brought along slowly, splitting time doing more traditional TE things with Deguara; and Musgrave would do some traditional TE things here or there, but mostly would be replacing Lazard as a big slot asked to block in the way WRs block, not in the way TEs block.

But that is not AT ALL how he has een utilized in camp or preseason. He lines up in line all the time and as asked to block like regular TE blocking. It's not his STRENGTH, but he hasn't really stunk at it relative to NFL TEs, either. I'm surprised. I liked the guy a lot but am a big "TEs take a year" guy. It's why I so desperately wanted to keep Lewis--so we had a blocking TE in-house that could step into that role if the rooks struggle, predictably.

But saying at this point, with how he's been used and what we've been watching, that Musgrave should "focus on being a WR this year," is pretty far behind the reality of the situation. Musgrave is fully our TE1 this year, for better and for worse, 'til injury do us part.
I like your points. However, I do think that Musgrave is almost forced to play the majority of his snaps inline. The lack of TE depth might force that in 2023. The ways that MLF can give some relief to that are 1) use Kraft in specific roles for a limited number of snaps, 2) use a spare OLineman as a TE for certain snaps where they would presumably be blocking TEs, 3) play more empty backfield and split more receivers out wide. Using a combination of those can alleviate some of our depth problem.

I’ve heard it said that there isn’t a good TE available. But maybe a trade of a OLineman or CB or RB would open up something.

I just don’t know how much MLF and the coaching staff are concerned about being so thin at TE.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I think lining Musgrave up in the traditional in line TE position allows the ability to disguise him as a receiver, put him in the slot high lights him more as the #1 read, :idn:

I see a increase coming for targeted TE passes, not just with us but all over the league, wanna play short ball offense, then a TE that can block as well as catch passes is a must have player, when a 5'11 200 lb safety looks at a Musgrave across from him, the first thought that goes through his head is, who is going to help me defend this motha :lol:

Big, tall, fast is a headache for any defender, the grooming days are over for the TE position, at least for players like Musgrave, or a guy like Kincaid, Josh Allen will feed that kid till the cows come home, we should do the same with Musgrave, he may struggle some as a rookie blocking TE, but we didn't draft him to feature his blocking skills, Love is going to fall in Love with Musgrave and it wont have a dang thing to do with him throwing blocks :rotf:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Scott4Pack wrote:
22 Aug 2023 09:37
I like your points. However, I do think that Musgrave is almost forced to play the majority of his snaps inline. The lack of TE depth might force that in 2023. The ways that MLF can give some relief to that are 1) use Kraft in specific roles for a limited number of snaps, 2) use a spare OLineman as a TE for certain snaps where they would presumably be blocking TEs, 3) play more empty backfield and split more receivers out wide. Using a combination of those can alleviate some of our depth problem.

I’ve heard it said that there isn’t a good TE available. But maybe a trade of a OLineman or CB or RB would open up something.

I just don’t know how much MLF and the coaching staff are concerned about being so thin at TE.
I guess my thing here is that sure, you could say it's forced (it is not; they could just have easily been playing Deguara or Tyler Davis in those snaps throughout camp and force Musgrave to earn it, but they didn't), but even if it WAS forced, he's doing well. He's doing better than you could expect given rookie TEs and scouting reports, etc. He is not a liability as a blocker--it's not his strength, no.

But all these "we could sub in Kraft sometimes (even though he's literally not better at blocking right now despite the expectation that he could/should be) or a 6th OL--they aren't necessary. Because Musgrave is exceeding expectations.

Again, I had all these same things in mind. Sign another guy, keep Lewis, use jumbo 6-OL packages, let Kraft focus on being in-line and Musgrave focus on being a big slot and build their skillsets out from there. But what we're seeing from Musgrave is making those measures less necessary.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Just popping into say that half the time I see "MLF" I think you guys are talking about a "MILF" and I do a double take.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I can't say there are too many veteran TEs out there that'd I'd actually be interested in. Maybe Kyle Rudolph? Maybe?

I think I'd just as soon use this year to throw the rookies into the fire and get some benefit from their learning the hard way so that next year, when expectations for success are high, they'll have some level of experience to draw from.