Green Bay Packers News 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Acrobat wrote:
04 Oct 2022 16:44
Scott4Pack wrote:
04 Oct 2022 16:25
It’s time to re-evaluate our hopes and expectations of the 2022 Packers. Despite anything that I wrote before this year started I’ll say this much.

I think the Packers might be one of the best sand-bagging teams around. I mean, it seems like they are as sloppy as can be in September, as a norm. Then, they usually do much better in October and that gives them great momentum while they tighten up the disciplines going through December to finish with a good record and probably the NFC North crown.

This year is acting like that. We are so dis-satisfied from our sloppy wins. And we should be. But we are still 3-1.

Our WR corps is showing signs of life, even if Watson isn’t making any difference making catches and Watkins is hurt. Doubs creates a spark. Cobb comes up with critical catches when needed. Lazard is making plays. Tonyan…? We’ll see.

The running game is clearly the strength of our offense and that bodes well for the entire year if we stay healthy.

The ST are showing improvement.

The defense is under-achieving, but still closing out games.

Rodgers isn’t MVP form. But he can clearly still be a difference maker and his experience is a clear advantage.

MLF still makes mistakes with play-calling, but he does so many things right and he clearly motivates his team.

There are so many ways we speak about this team like, “they do this wrong, BUT they also do this right.” Did we turn into the Al Davis Raiders or something?
It's Week 5.
That’s right. Thanks man.
:-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Can't argue that we haven't seen this show before. Thing is, though, it's all about momentum and gelling and breaks and luck and...you get the picture...when the playoffs begin.

Yeah, we've been disappointed a number of times but that has no bearing on how this season will play out so...why not get on board and enjoy it while it lasts?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

this side line picture of Lafluer trying to talk to a very uninterested Rodgers has been a common sight this season

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/aaron-rodg ... 20031.html

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
04 Oct 2022 20:04
this side line picture of Lafluer trying to talk to a very uninterested Rodgers has been a common sight this season

That is your takeaway from that article??

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

APB wrote:
04 Oct 2022 21:08
Yoop wrote:

As long as Watson doesn't start dropping the first few passes I expect Rodgers to start and trust him more. I'm surprised by the limited number that has gone his way since the Vikings game.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
04 Oct 2022 21:08
Yoop wrote:

I used this article in several posts yesterday to say Watson needs the ball in his hands more, simply didn't add the link.

but that pic of Rodgers acting dis interested in what Lafluer has to say has been common, and should bother people, the offense struggles, Rodgers playing like a HS QB for most of 4 games should bother people, some of these repetitious los passes should bother people, your answer of just wait we'll be gelled up for the play offs is old news, we hear that every year, and are 1 and done to show for it, and that should bother people too.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Worst take of the season thus far... Packers are 3rd in explosive plays. Tied for 2nd in 20+ yard passes. Tied for 5th in 10+ yard runs.

I hope to God this was not what Rodgers said as it is completely opposite of reality. It would make sense though looking at the first half of last week where we tried to force the ball down field.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
05 Oct 2022 09:24

Worst take of the season thus far... Packers are 3rd in explosive plays. Tied for 2nd in 20+ yard passes. Tied for 5th in 10+ yard runs.

I hope to God this was not what Rodgers said as it is completely opposite of reality. It would make sense though looking at the first half of last week where we tried to force the ball down field.
Agree, I do not want to see them start pushing for bigger plays. I'd frankly like to see more efficiency and a LOT less 3 and outs. With how our D has been overall, just chew up some time, get a nice punt inside the 20, play more field position game. Every once and a while it seems to click for the O and look great, just need more consistency. Feel like we are gunna have a game here real quick with where everything starts to work for the OL and they have a great day and the O has their best day of the season by a wide margin, I'd say likely in the next 3 weeks against Giants, Jets, Commanders.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
05 Oct 2022 09:20
according to this report dated 10-6-22 (baffling that it's dated tomorrow) we are ranked 13th in the red zone at 60%

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/r ... coring-pct

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

This article is a delight, and also, a guy on twitter--I think Jacob Morley or Peter Burkowski--made the exact same observation/comparison as Rodgers did before this interview

For those who don't click, Rodgers is basically saying that when watching tape, Christian Watson is open a lot more often than he expects, and he remembers the same thing happening with Adams his rookie year. Rodgers is saying that he may look Christian's way more as the season progresses because the guy is winning his routes more often than he's being given opportunities.

Now he did caveat that it was true more often with Davante as a rookie, as Davante came into the league with stronger route-running ability. But that's a cool thing to hear--the QB's film review forcing him to recognize a guy who in only 3 games is earning more looks than he is getting.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Sounds like Rodgers is really disinterested in that interview.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:

I agree, but I also think there's some nuance here. A lot of our explosive plays are YAC plays. The air yards plays are still missing a bit from the offense. I don't want them to try more of those necessarily, I just want to see them get better at them as the timing and Rodgers' familiarity and the receivers' understanding of where and how to adjust all improve together.

My mantra right now is just win and get better. We are not the team we will be in January, and by design. Too much has changed. The QB coach and OC left; the OL coach and OC are in new positions for them. Adams and MVS are gone, Watkins and rookies are replacing them. RT is up in the air as our two most talented linemen ease their way back into grooves from ACL tears.

This is not a unit of continuity and experience and familiarity. It should be expected to learn and gel and change and shift and improve and take lumps this season. The key is to build up regular season wins while building toward playoff-caliber effectiveness.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
05 Oct 2022 09:36
Pckfn23 wrote:
05 Oct 2022 09:20
according to this report dated 10-6-22 (baffling that it's dated tomorrow) we are ranked 13th in the red zone at 60%

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/r ... coring-pct
1 is a stat measuring TDs scored per redzone trip. The other is a metric from FO looking at Defense-adjusted Value Over Average (DVOA) of offenses in the red zone...

Also you can change the date of the table that you brought, it is not "dated" 10-6-22.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
05 Oct 2022 09:45
Pckfn23 wrote:

I agree, but I also think there's some nuance here. A lot of our explosive plays are YAC plays. The air yards plays are still missing a bit from the offense. I don't want them to try more of those necessarily, I just want to see them get better at them as the timing and Rodgers' familiarity and the receivers' understanding of where and how to adjust all improve together.
Honestly, I just don't care if the air yards aren't great and think there has been a constant yearly obsession with them. At times it leads to the offense sputtering because of that obsession. Some of the best and most consistent offenses we have had over the years was because of YAC.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
05 Oct 2022 09:52
Honestly, I just don't care if the air yards aren't great and think there has been a constant yearly obsession with them. At times it leads to the offense sputtering because of that obsession. Some of the best and most consistent offenses we have had over the years was because of YAC.
I don't particularly care, either. And I agree that when the offense focuses on creating plays downfield, it becomes less efficient, and when the offense focuses on being more efficient, it creates a virtuous cycle that opens up the downfield plays.

But I again don't want to TRY more. I just am pointing out that we're missing on too many of the ones we try. And hitting on the ones we try will help ensure that teams can't crowd the line and the box, shutting down our quick passing game and run game, which is what the Bucs did to us in the second half very effectively.

Again, I agree with you and BF and disagree with Chris Simms, but I do think there is a part of what is leading Simms astray in his opinion that can stand to improve, if that makes sense.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
05 Oct 2022 09:56
Pckfn23 wrote:
05 Oct 2022 09:52
I don't particularly care, either. And I agree that when the offense focuses on creating plays downfield, it becomes less efficient, and when the offense focuses on being more efficient, it creates a virtuous cycle that opens up the downfield plays.

But I again don't want to TRY more. I just am pointing out that we're missing on too many of the ones we try. And hitting on the ones we try will help ensure that teams can't crowd the line and the box, shutting down our quick passing game and run game, which is what the Bucs did to us in the second half very effectively.

Again, I agree with you and BF and disagree with Chris Simms, but I do think there is a part of what is leading Simms astray in his opinion that can stand to improve, if that makes sense.
we throw far to many passes that depend on blocking and yac yards, and when the run isn't consistent we end up 3 and out, I agree that has been or identity since Matt arrived, but in his first 3 years we had one of the best receivers in the league to compliment that with about 8 reception average a game for a about a 100 yrds, and most of those passes where for 10 or more yards, we need to go back to that standard

we have basically played 3 teams with missing star players, and two of them took us to the wire, It was nice to hear Rodgers own up to playing well below his ability, and admit that some of us have been right, Watson deserves to get the ball a lot more, and not just on go routes that he struggles to track and catch.

we all know that we start slow, that has also been our identity, but imo Rodgers has made this harder then it needs to be, his off target and late throws force receivers to make miracle catches, and his actions on the side lines when Lafluer is trying to converse with him just disgusts me, I hate to be pessimistic but I've lost respect and faith in Rodgers

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I am not completely convinced Jenkins' struggles are all on him. I see a lot of miscommunication between he and Newman on the right side and it is evident on gameday. Their stunt pick-ups are clunky. Their teamwork based pickups are disjointed. It is plainly evident they have not worked together very long and defenses are taking advantage of it.

That said, yes, Jenkins has not been great. He is struggling. I don't know if it's rust from the injury or simply right side unfamiliarity that's causing it but you can't deny he's playing tentative and getting beat to the point. It probably wouldn't hurt to bump him inside...but which inside? JRJ seems to be doing fine. Do they disrupt what he's got going? Replacing Newman seems the obvious call but will Jenkins' right side struggles follow him inside to guard?

I suppose if I'm Stenovich I get Yosh out their at RT and bump Jenkins inside to RG and see how that works out. I'm not sure it can be much worse than what we've seen of the struggling Jenkins and sucky Newman tandem.