Green Bay Packers News 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

APB wrote:
22 Aug 2023 12:54
I can't say there are too many veteran TEs out there that'd I'd actually be interested in. Maybe Kyle Rudolph? Maybe?

I think I'd just as soon use this year to throw the rookies into the fire and get some benefit from their learning the hard way, next year, you know, when expectations for success will ride with theirs and the rest of the offense's maturation.
I don't think it'll necessarily come from a name anyone has heard of.

But after roster cutdowns, I certainly expect the scouting department to have a short list of TEs around the league who can block and play STs and if a guy they like falls from a tree, they'll gladly pick him up.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Acrobat wrote:
22 Aug 2023 12:52
Just popping into say that half the time I see "MLF" I think you guys are talking about a "MILF" and I do a double take.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

YoHoChecko wrote:
22 Aug 2023 13:02
APB wrote:
22 Aug 2023 12:54
I can't say there are too many veteran TEs out there that'd I'd actually be interested in. Maybe Kyle Rudolph? Maybe?

I think I'd just as soon use this year to throw the rookies into the fire and get some benefit from their learning the hard way, next year, you know, when expectations for success will ride with theirs and the rest of the offense's maturation.
I don't think it'll necessarily come from a name anyone has heard of.

But after roster cutdowns, I certainly expect the scouting department to have a short list of TEs around the league who can block and play STs and if a guy they like falls from a tree, they'll gladly pick him up.
Watch the Titans' roster. A handful of decent guys that could fit. At least one likely to get waived; Titans still have some residual scheme and coaching familiarity with MLF

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

YoHoChecko wrote:
22 Aug 2023 12:48
Scott4Pack wrote:
22 Aug 2023 09:37
I like your points. However, I do think that Musgrave is almost forced to play the majority of his snaps inline. The lack of TE depth might force that in 2023. The ways that MLF can give some relief to that are 1) use Kraft in specific roles for a limited number of snaps, 2) use a spare OLineman as a TE for certain snaps where they would presumably be blocking TEs, 3) play more empty backfield and split more receivers out wide. Using a combination of those can alleviate some of our depth problem.

I’ve heard it said that there isn’t a good TE available. But maybe a trade of a OLineman or CB or RB would open up something.

I just don’t know how much MLF and the coaching staff are concerned about being so thin at TE.
I guess my thing here is that sure, you could say it's forced (it is not; they could just have easily been playing Deguara or Tyler Davis in those snaps throughout camp and force Musgrave to earn it, but they didn't), but even if it WAS forced, he's doing well. He's doing better than you could expect given rookie TEs and scouting reports, etc. He is not a liability as a blocker--it's not his strength, no.

But all these "we could sub in Kraft sometimes (even though he's literally not better at blocking right now despite the expectation that he could/should be) or a 6th OL--they aren't necessary. Because Musgrave is exceeding expectations.

Again, I had all these same things in mind. Sign another guy, keep Lewis, use jumbo 6-OL packages, let Kraft focus on being in-line and Musgrave focus on being a big slot and build their skillsets out from there. But what we're seeing from Musgrave is making those measures less necessary.
Yes. Again, I concur. That said, MLF’s playbook will necessitate using Kraft and/or other “TE” bodies to fulfill the scheme. And I think that’ll increase as the season goes along. They can only have so many looks from a one-TE formation, at least when that one TE is in line.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

APB wrote:
22 Aug 2023 16:35
Betting he ends up back on the PS when healthy.

Anyone else hoping the Packers try Walker-Jenkins-Tom-Runyan-Nijman in the last preseason game?

Or flip flop Walker/Nijman.
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

paco wrote:
22 Aug 2023 17:42
APB wrote:

Anyone else hoping the Packers try Walker-Jenkins-Tom-Runyan-Nijman in the last preseason game?

I am hoping they leave Walker to focus on the left side. He will likely be needed to step in for Bakh at some point this year, and he'll also likely succeed him next year. I'd just as soon he be left alone to focus on the LT position.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
23 Aug 2023 12:10
our simply showing up raises the GDP of every city we go to :clap: they just love to watch us !@#$ pound there teams :rotf:

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

BF004 wrote:
Does AR get a cut of ticket sales as owner of da Bares?

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

wallyuwl wrote:
23 Aug 2023 13:08
BF004 wrote:
I’m pretty sure that his ownership of da Bears was transferred to Love. At least I hope so!
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

wallyuwl wrote:
BF004 wrote:
does the Hallas family get a cut of ticket sales at Lambeau field? Ol George"Muggs"Halas played a big part in the building of that stadium :)

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Yoop wrote:
23 Aug 2023 15:24
wallyuwl wrote:
BF004 wrote:
does the Hallas family get a cut of ticket sales at Lambeau field? Ol George"Muggs"Halas played a big part in the building of that stadium :)
40% of the gate revenue goes to a pool shared bye the other NFL teams so they are getting a cut. :swear:

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

paco wrote:
22 Aug 2023 17:42
APB wrote:

Nope. Walker, Jenkins Myers, Runyan, Tom. Go with the starting Oline vs Da Bears. Both Tom and Myers need the snaps at their position. And I would keep Jones over Nijman at this point, no matter what this is Nijman's last summer in GB.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Cdragon wrote:
23 Aug 2023 19:23
Yoop wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:

40% of the gate revenue goes to a pool shared bye the other NFL teams so they are getting a cut. :swear:
didn't know teams shared 40% of the gate, whatever, if not for Halas it's debatable that we'd even have a team

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
24 Aug 2023 08:09
Cdragon wrote:
Yoop wrote:

didn't know teams shared 40% of the gate, whatever, if not for Halas it's debatable that we'd even have a team
...and completely unproveable in any case.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
24 Aug 2023 12:45
Yoop wrote:
Cdragon wrote:

of course it's not written on a stone tablet, but it would take you all of a minute to find articles pointing out that George Halas lobbied plenty for us to build a bigger stadium then GB east HS to hold Packer games, or they he played a part in the success of our team over the years, he even played a part in the hire of Vince Lombardi.

to say we don't owe a bit of gratitude to the Chicago Bears would be the height ungraciousness.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
24 Aug 2023 13:29
APB wrote:
24 Aug 2023 12:45
Yoop wrote:

of course it's not written on a stone tablet, but it would take you all of a minute to find articles pointing out that George Halas lobbied plenty for us to build a bigger stadium then GB east HS to hold Packer games, or they he played a part in the success of our team over the years, he even played a part in the hire of Vince Lombardi.

to say we don't owe a bit of gratitude to the Chicago Bears would be the height ungraciousness.
Rather than argue unprovable points with you ad nauseum, I’ll leave this debate with this:

$%@# the Bears and their matriarch Halas clan.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »