Smoking Meat Thread

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Packfntk wrote:
29 Jul 2024 09:13
You trim pork butts?
I did the last time and it was amazing. If you are going low and slow you will never render all the fat. Just left a meatier, more delicious final product. Better bark, too. Quick YouTube search shows a lot of guys recommend it.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Packfntk wrote:
29 Jul 2024 09:13
When I do them I do not trim at all. Cook longer if you want to render more fat in.
I am sure it is a matter of opinion, too. I aim to please the fam, so the fat must go.

Read More. Post Less.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Damn. I smoke my butts for so long that I barely have any remaining fats on them. You have fat on your butt when you smoke to 203?
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

NCF wrote:
29 Jul 2024 09:03
APB wrote:
28 Jul 2024 18:44
That looks fan-tas-tic!

They taste as good as they look?
They were scrumptious.

How much trimming do you do to the belly before cubing up? My family is noses up to any non-rendered fat. I think if I do these again, I will remove the entire fat cap and trim a bunch of the hard fat off the top, as well. I did minimal trimming, but left about a 1/4 inch on the cap. I gotta say, I went a bit crazy with the trimming on the last pork butt that I did and it turned out better than any I have ever made.
I haven't prepared a pork belly as poor man's burnt ends yet. I've only done chuck roasts and there isn't much to trim off those.

As far as a pork roast on the smoker, I trim some of the fat off, down to about 1/4" or so, and let the rest render. My wife doesn't much care for any remaining fat, either, so I make it easy on her...and myself.