Packers Salary Cap

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BSA wrote:
10 Mar 2021 09:58
go pak go wrote:
10 Mar 2021 09:51
That's not exciting information.
Kicking the can down the road never made more sense than it does right now. In the past, teams could count on about a $10M increase in the cap each year and planned accordingly. So while the cap for 2020 was 198M, Gute and the GMs set contracts " knowing" the 2021 cap would be around $210 M based on history. Pandemic blew that deal. So the only reason GB is tight is because they, like all teams planned for $210M in 2021

Going forward, the new TV deals will kick in during the 2022 and 2023 season and the cap growth will be even more than $10M/ yr.
Significantly more. That's why kicking the can now is a much easier pill to swallow than in previous years- the TV induced cap growth will be huge.
Yeah. My whole point is kicking the can down the road still nets us the 2020 Green Bay Packers without a CB2, without our All Pro Center and without our 2nd best offensive weapon.

Kicking the can down the road still means the 2021 Packers don't have financial resources to plug 2020 holes and doesn't have resources to retain some of our 2020 best players.

That's what I mean by not exciting information.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BSA wrote:
go pak go wrote:
Kicking the can down the road never made more sense than it does right now. In the past, teams could count on about a $10M increase in the cap each year and planned accordingly. So while the cap for 2020 was 198M, Gute and the GMs set contracts " knowing" the 2021 cap would be around $210 M based on history. Pandemic blew that deal. So the only reason GB is tight is because they, like all teams planned for $210M in 2021

Going forward, the new TV deals will kick in during the 2022 and 2023 season and the cap growth will be even more than $10M/ yr.
Significantly more. That's why kicking the can now is a much easier pill to swallow than in previous years- the TV induced cap growth will be huge.
And I'm all for taking a one year big dump when we move on from Aaron, reset the cap, then start to build around Love. I wouldn't expect to compete for a SB his first year starting, so maybe also just dump our aging guys, Za'Darius, Amos and the like, along with Aaron, maybe even Davante or Bak as they begin to age, free up a ton of cap space going into Love's sophomore year to get guys younger and more tailored to our new team we can then build around long term.

I'd rather try 90% to win in 2021 and 2022 and 5% in 2023 with Love, rather than 80% in 2021 and 2022 and 30% in 2023.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
10 Mar 2021 10:03
BSA wrote:
go pak go wrote:

And I'm all for taking a one year big dump when we move on from Aaron, reset the cap, then start to build around Love. I wouldn't expect to compete for a SB his first year starting, so maybe also just dump our aging guys, Za'Darius, Amos and the like, along with Aaron, maybe even Davante or Bak as they begin to age, free up a ton of cap space going into Love's sophomore year to get guys younger and more tailored to our new team we can then build around long term.

I'd rather try 90% to win in 2021 and 2022 and 5% in 2023 with Love, rather than 80% in 2021 and 2022 and 30% in 2023.
I agree with this. But again. That whole Ken Ingalls post basically states even if we do all this kicking can sh*t....we get $7 million.

That don't get you much. Even this year it don't likely get you much and honestly likely don't get the 2021 or 2022 Packers better than the 2020 Packers.

Our success now is dependent on draft picks, the 2019 and 2020 draft classes taking their jumps and our new defensive scheme working really well. Money can't buy our team wins these next two years.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

We can do a ton more kicking, some might not be the smartest.

But making trading for a Gilmore or going big for some CB or WR in FA.

Don’t really want to go into next year with Josh Jackson, Kadar Hollman and some random rookies as our CB plan. Will inevitably be our downfall. Want to see us at least try.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
10 Mar 2021 10:23
We can do a ton more kicking, some might not be the smartest.

But making trading for a Gilmore or going big for some CB or WR in FA.

Don’t really want to go into next year with Josh Jackson, Kadar Hollman and some random rookies as our CB plan. Will inevitably be our downfall. Want to see us at least try.
A Jaire Alexander extension could make a ton of sense. $3M+ cap hit this year and $13M-ish 5th-year option next year as a starting point. Can get both years down and with two years of team control can probably get an early offer discount on the whole term. Still will be expensive, but it's only going to get worse.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

The rumor is we are going to be extending Z Smith and the news will be coming in the next day or two.
Yoop wrote:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

go pak go wrote:
10 Mar 2021 10:40
The rumor is we are going to be extending Z Smith and the news will be coming in the next day or two.
When a player tweets that he wants to be a Packer for life, those rumors do get started. :lol:
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
10 Mar 2021 10:11
BF004 wrote:
10 Mar 2021 10:03
BSA wrote:

I agree with this. But again. That whole Ken Ingalls post basically states even if we do all this kicking can sh*t....we get $7 million.

That don't get you much. Even this year it don't likely get you much and honestly likely don't get the 2021 or 2022 Packers better than the 2020 Packers.

Our success now is dependent on draft picks, the 2019 and 2020 draft classes taking their jumps and our new defensive scheme working really well. Money can't buy our team wins these next two years.
Restructure Aaron - Save $12 million
Cut Preston Smith - Save $12 Million

Ken Ingalls didn't look at the complete picture.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Pckfn23 wrote:
10 Mar 2021 11:09
He probably looked at the full picture, but he only posted the most likely stuff. If you go through player by player...there's a lot more space available than portrayed in his tweets
IT. IS. TIME

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

That post was just one suggestion by Ken that included keeping both Smiths. Cutting Preston does clear more cap space. But I think he and others still are of the mind that Preston might be sticking around.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BSA wrote:
10 Mar 2021 11:12
Pckfn23 wrote:
10 Mar 2021 11:09
He probably looked at the full picture, but he only posted the most likely stuff. If you go through player by player...there's a lot more space available than portrayed in his tweets
I would say not looking at cutting Preston Smith would be an oversight. They save about $5.5 million by turning base/roster into bonus. That right there, with a Rodgers bonus, would be the $7 million without doing anything else. Restructuring Z Smith along could save another $8 million. So without cutting anyone, and turning roster/base into bonus for 3 players, that's $15 million under the cap.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."