49ers @ Packers - NFCD Playoff GDT - 1/22 - 7:15 CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

Troy Aikman's comments about the Cowboys not getting the ball to Lamb makes me think Aaron will have himself a day. Troy was saying the Niners secondary was doing nothing complicated. In the cold weather Tae should see more off coverage so I think the quick outs will work and we can matriculate down the field very easily.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Jonnydel49
Reactions:

Post by Jonnydel49 »

NCF wrote:
20 Jan 2022 16:42
Jonnydel49 wrote:
20 Jan 2022 16:27
APB wrote:
20 Jan 2022 11:20

:lol: :)

Pretty much. Kenny was rag-dolling Mack left and right. If KC brings his man game again, as he does consistently, their hopes for run dominance will be dashed.

I also thought it cute this guy brought several clips from the 2019 match-up. Different coaching, different philosophy, different players…no matter, let’s roll that film again!! I suppose I get it but with an abundance of fresh tape from THIS YEAR I’d have thought there would be plenty of examples to use rather than harkening back to footage from yesteryear.

I have found their fan base to just instinctively think they’re gonna road grade us based on 2019. It’s funny, really. The “30th ranked run defense” stat is gobbled up like it’s Jell-O shots at a teen house party. The “soft” narrative is also still widely assumed. I tried to push back on that some but there was no hope…we’re soft. Always have been, always will be. :lol:

I really can’t wait for this weekend.

It looks as though my travels this week will extend into Saturday so I’ll have to find a local bar somewhere to cheer them on. I’ll either be in Pittsburgh, Houston, or somewhere in between as I ferry a helicopter cross-country back to its Texas home.

Wherever I end up, I’ll be geared up, cheered up, and beered up! :beer2: :banana:
So the reason I used footage from 2019 was to compare and contrast when it worked and when it didn't vs the same front.

While the coaches have changed, GB uses the same bear front in base they did in both matchups. There wasn't anything either team was doing, scheme wise, that had a huge impact on the outcome, it was the execution of that scheme.

I'm not assuming we'll road grade like 2019, I'm saying we have to control the DT's against that Bear front or we won't run well at all.
Hey, actual football talk!! Welcome and thanks for posting this.
No problem. I'll always talk X's and O's with about anyone

Jonnydel49
Reactions:

Post by Jonnydel49 »

packman114 wrote:
20 Jan 2022 16:42
Troy Aikman's comments about the Cowboys not getting the ball to Lamb makes me think Aaron will have himself a day. Troy was saying the Niners secondary was doing nothing complicated. In the cold weather Tae should see more off coverage so I think the quick outs will work and we can matriculate down the field very easily.
We've been disguising in off-coverage more as the season has gone. Think similar to the Bears when Vic Fangio was there.

Saleh had decent success vs Rodgers doing that. The trick is going to be the cat and mouse game between DeMeco and Rodgers/LeFleur. You'll see a lot more shell looks.

We like to play C3 buzz and using matching principles. So, for example, if Adams is the X in a condensed split and goes vertical, the safety in the hook will match vertical or if there's an over route from the strong side, the safety will match that, with no vertical. If there's a vertical from the split end down the seam, the deep middle safety, in push coverage, will match the over.

This leads to, like you said, short routes to the outside. So, the trick will be to give that shell look and drop to C2 zone with cloud coverage.

Saleh was able to get several no gain/incomplete passes and sacks through well timed calls just like this vs Rodgers.

Will be a great chess game there.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

By God, [mention]Pckfn23[/mention] is gonna love you...

#x&oguy

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Gotta say I’ve been liking the interviews this week.

Fun and relaxed. Yet pure focus on playing best ball and SF is a legit threat. Not scared or intimidated, but confident in playing their ball.

Feel like you can at times predict our outcomes just but feel of the week. Feeling focused and feeling the gravity of the game and the opponent.

Give Aaron a little time and D don’t get embarrassed, having a feeling we win comfortably.

Aaron’s just too locked in. When in a meaningless games, he’s prepared enough to throw no look hot routes on screen passes, he’s just owning this offense and seeing everything at a savant level. Get enough run game to be a threat, 4 ypc and a few first downs and some okay pass blocking, o gunna out up a lot of points.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I think Cobb is gonna be really big in this game. I believe the 9ers are gonna help their corners on the outside and the middle is gonna be exploitable. The Cobb-Rodgers mind meld telepathy thing will be on full display as Playoff Randall returns center stage. Market down.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

APB wrote:
20 Jan 2022 19:22
I think Cobb is gonna be really big in this game. I believe the 9ers are gonna help their corners on the outside and the middle is gonna be exploitable. The Cobb-Rodgers mind meld telepathy thing will be on full display as Playoff Randall returns center stage. Market down.
Really hope MVS can play, you put Lazard and MVS on the ends running fades against a 2 deep shell, you’re gunna have 3 defenders in short to medium middle to guard Adams and Cobb in the slot. That’s gonna be a win.

Even the threat of pounding AJ Dillon right in that same areas or screen pass to Jones to slow the pass rush.

Just a lot of successful ways to attack this if they go 2 deep shell and we are healthy.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

APB wrote:
I live in Niner country. Both the radio analysis and articles I’ve read never mention Cobb. Probably because Randle wasn’t activated until today. I’m reading articles that compare the Niners WRs to the Packers…crickets. I’ve listened to their sports station KNBR all week and when the talk about the WRs they skip over Cobb…not a word about him.

To me he is so important on 3rd downs and in the red zone. Cobb is Rodgers safety net. If they’re analyzing the Packers and leaving him out, then they’re making a mistake.
Love is the answer…

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

APB wrote:
I would mark it down, but I said almost a week ago Cobb would be important this game. :lol:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

The San Francisco 49ers have struggled all season when it came to covering their opponents’ best receivers. In fact, they were the second worst team in the NFL when it came to trying stop other team’s top receivers.

Peter Bukowski
@Peter_Bukowski
49ers are 31st in DVOA covering No. 1 WRs. Davante Adams had 12/132/1 earlier this season against them. https://t.co/tYV0FCEjLD
11:56 PM · Jan 16, 2022
As Peter Bukowski pointed out in the above Tweet, Davante Adams had 12 receptions for 132 yards and a touchdown against the 49ers in Week Three. In Week One, the 49ers gave up eight receptions, 97 yards, and a touchdown to TJ Hockenson of the Detroit Lions. Cooper Kupp had 11 receptions for 122 yards in the Los Angeles Rams’ first game against the 49ers this season. He had seven receptions for 118 yards and a touchdown in their second matchup.

In other words, Davante Adams is going to have plenty of opportunities on Saturday Night. In fact, in four games against the 49ers in his career, Adams has faired quite well.

Robin Adams
@theotherAdams14
Fun stat: Davante Adams has faced the 49ers 4 times in his career. He is averaging...
-10 receptions per game
-120 yards per game
-1.25 TD's per game
The #Packers are 10-2 overall when Davante has at least 10 receptions and 120 yards in a game.
Feed. 17.
12:47 AM · Jan 18, 2022

I remember reading how Tae has about 500 yrds in his 4 games playing the Niners, didn't realize other #1 receivers on teams have torched that secondary too.

https://wisportsheroics.com/the-battle- ... bo-samuel/

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yep I like that Davante has been lights out last 5 games against SF.

I mean you always play your game, but within what the D does.

If they break everything they’ve done all year and go all Baltimore on Davante, SF isn’t doing what they do and other stuff should open up.

If they are fine with Davante going for 12 and 180 and 2, then you eat that up.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

APB wrote:
And ............. its difficult to believe any defense can both stop the Packers 1 - 2 punch running attack and competent Tight Ends ............. and our WR arsenal. Packers have too many weapons in the offensive arsenal. Looking forward to seeing the Niners D run around aimlessly until exhaustion sets in on the tundra. Just win or tie the turnover battle. NFCCG to follow at Lambeau :clap:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
20 Jan 2022 21:06
APB wrote:
And ............. its difficult to believe any defense can both stop the Packers 1 - 2 punch running attack and competent Tight Ends ............. and our WR arsenal. Packers have too many weapons in the offensive arsenal. Looking forward to seeing the Niners D run around aimlessly until exhaustion sets in on the tundra. Just win or tie the turnover battle. NFCCG to follow at Lambeau :clap:
I gotta believe the footing on the field will give us a big advantage. Has to slow down their pass rush. I think the quick passes will setup the run for us. I think Rodgers will be throwing a lot of quick outs to start and setup the verticals later.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

packman114 wrote:
21 Jan 2022 07:49
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
20 Jan 2022 21:06
APB wrote:
I gotta believe the footing on the field will give us a big advantage. Has to slow down their pass rush. I think the quick passes will setup the run for us. I think Rodgers will be throwing a lot of quick outs to start and setup the verticals later.
Our quick out play selection is awesome. Hope to see it early and often on Saturday. Even if it only picks up 3 to 5 yards on 1st down......after awhile it wears on the defense. The opponent's defense can't do anything against the quick out other than hope for a dropped snap or errant pass. Would be awesome if the Packers are able to successfully slash and pound with Jones and Dillon as well. A vertical to Deguara again would be cool. Of course Cobb over the wide open middle. The energy is starting to build. GO PACK GO!

Bogey
Reactions:

Post by Bogey »

BF004 wrote:
20 Jan 2022 10:22
I did the standing room only tickets for the Steelers game, it was nice. We never even made it up to where we were supposed to go. Just kept standing on the 2nd level area for like 3-30 minutes at a time till security told us to find our seats. Had about 50th row, 30 yard line to 30 yard line viewing the entire game. :lol:

Don't yell at me @Bogey
Your secret is safe, BF. 😀
The Packers lunatic fringe is more visible because of sheer numbers. The Packers have one of the largest fan bases in all of sports. If the fringe percentage is the same as with other teams, then we end up with larger volumes of nut jobs. - JustJeff

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

One other thought. No one is talking about Kenny Clark. All this talk about Niners defense but I think Clark is the best defender on the field in this game. His penetration is key to disrupting the Niners run game. Just hope Preston and Gary don't get too far upfield on the edges. If they do their jobs we stop the run game and force Jimmy G to beat us.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

We like to play C3 buzz and using matching principles. So, for example, if Adams is the X in a condensed split and goes vertical, the safety in the hook will match vertical or if there's an over route from the strong side, the safety will match that, with no vertical. If there's a vertical from the split end down the seam, the deep middle safety, in push coverage, will match the over.
A match cover 3 is interesting. I would say that's probably because of the deficiencies in the secondary, but at the same time it really puts pressure on the outside corners to cover. It might explain why #1 WRs are torching the 49ers. Might not be a good plan against Davante Adams and Aaron Rodgers.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

GJPackerBacker
Reactions:

Post by GJPackerBacker »

Fun stuff…
I love the way this thread is lightly salted with intended or subliminal Yooperisms like “market down” and so on. Yoop your challenge, should you decide to except it, is to have one perfect post. ;)

Football stuff
DAVANTE is going to get his. Nuff said.

I agree, if Cobb is 100%, he will as he always has, contribute in the time of need. He has an incredible skill of getting open and making the play in critical moments. I’m sure that is why AR wanted him on the roster. It going to be fun watching AJ and AD pound the rock right up the gut. AR take what they give us wear down the D and the game will be comfortably decided by the end of the 3rd quarter. Not to forget…stay focused and finish strong - we are on a mission!

Hoping our guy Bakh has a solid performance to build some physical confidence even if it is only part time - we need you for the duration.

Kenny C will have a great game. This guy is the foundation of our D. Preston and Gary must protect the edge unlike we have seen way too many times in the regular season. Dean we haven’t seen you get a pick in a long time. Now. Is. The. Time.

I’m expecting Raul and Jaire to frustrate Jimmy G. This could be one of the most fun parts of the game to watch and provide many moments to cheer! :clap:

Some time around mid second quarter Jimmy G. will be thinking about that sore shoulder while shivering at 4F face down staring at the tundra of La La Lambeau Field.

Enjoy the game everyone. :beer2:
GO PACK GO!!!