Green Bay Packers News 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
01 Feb 2022 15:22
There is very little correlation with previous success at other franchises and successful coaching hire for current team.

There is just very little we as fans can know about a coaching hire and it being successful or not.
Disagree
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
01 Feb 2022 16:55
go pak go wrote:
There is very little correlation with previous success at other franchises and successful coaching hire for current team.

There is just very little we as fans can know about a coaching hire and it being successful or not.
Hmmph.

Correlation or not, if it's me I'll take my chances with hiring a coach who has experienced prior success as a good starting point to fixing the problem.
Absolutely it makes you feel better. Nobody likes a Mike McCarthy 2006 hire when his only OC experience is 31st and 32nd ranked offense in the league. Nobody likes a Matt LeFluer hire where his OC experience is a middling at best Titans offense (and you find out he didn't call the plays with the successful Rams). Nobody likes a Nathaniel Hackett when his offensive experience is with the Jaguars. Nobody likes a Mike Pettine hire when he is an absolute failure in Cleveland. Nobody likes a Joe Barry hire when his past DC experience was utter fail jobs in Detroit and Washington.

And yet they all came in right away and you could tell they made a difference.

On the flip side you have reason for excitement for Jim Bates and by and large he delivers. You have excitement for Dom Capers and by and large he delivers. You have reason for excitement for Ron Zook and he is an utter failure. You have reason to not be excited for Edgar Bennett and he delivers.

I don't follow coaches around the league, but I do keep tabs of Packers coaches and overall it's just been really random. Coaches are hired to get fired. Sometimes they get promoted but by and large, the hope is you stick around long enough before you stink and then start the process over with another team hoping to get on a winning regime again. Coaches get hired, fired, promoted and move all the time.

Coaching resumes and success are just really random. I just don't think we as fans have any way of knowing if a hire is good or not. We can only tell when it's not working which is when you know you just have to move on. Clearly Mo Drayton needed to be moved on. Honestly he was moved on from too late.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Most people get promotions due to success in previous roles

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
01 Feb 2022 17:21
APB wrote:
01 Feb 2022 16:55
go pak go wrote:

Hmmph.

Correlation or not, if it's me I'll take my chances with hiring a coach who has experienced prior success as a good starting point to fixing the problem.
Absolutely it makes you feel better. Nobody likes a Mike McCarthy 2006 hire when his only OC experience is 31st and 32nd ranked offense in the league. Nobody likes a Matt LeFluer hire where his OC experience is a middling at best Titans offense (and you find out he didn't call the plays with the successful Rams). Nobody likes a Nathaniel Hackett when his offensive experience is with the Jaguars. Nobody likes a Mike Pettine hire when he is an absolute failure in Cleveland. Nobody likes a Joe Barry hire when his past DC experience was utter fail jobs in Detroit and Washington.

And yet they all came in right away and you could tell they made a difference.

On the flip side you have reason for excitement for Jim Bates and by and large he delivers. You have excitement for Dom Capers and by and large he delivers. You have reason for excitement for Ron Zook and he is an utter failure. You have reason to not be excited for Edgar Bennett and he delivers.

I don't follow coaches around the league, but I do keep tabs of Packers coaches and overall it's just been really random. Coaches are hired to get fired. Sometimes they get promoted but by and large, the hope is you stick around long enough before you stink and then start the process over with another team hoping to get on a winning regime again. Coaches get hired, fired, promoted and move all the time.

Coaching resumes and success are just really random. I just don't think we as fans have any way of knowing if a hire is good or not. We can only tell when it's not working which is when you know you just have to move on. Clearly Mo Drayton needed to be moved on. Honestly he was moved on from too late.
lots of qualifiers to pay attention to that I brought concerning how John Harbaugh makes sure his ST's unit has the necessary's to do well, returner, kicker, punter, holder, snapper etc. and making sure all know exactly what there job is and making them accountable to perform it right, the teams that consistently rank high have all or most of these ingredients.

obviously Crosby's and the FG unit decline is just the tip of the iceburg towards improving the unit, but it's a good place to start, cripes the whole shabang is a cluster f, can't block, can't snap, can't hold, and Crosby has hit the wall, got to a point I figured kicking amounted to a miss and just a turnover on downs.

so it takes more then just a revolving door of new ST's Cords every year or two, Lafluer needs to play the part of Harbaugh and over see the unit and demand perfection, hold players accountable, to often we see players doing dumb things, making poor decisions, sure blame the player, but the coaching is suspect too.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

I understand constantly looking, but:

New Orleans Saints
Mack was drafted by the New Orleans Saints in the seventh round (231st overall) of the 2019 NFL Draft.[10] He was waived on August 31, 2019 and was signed to the practice squad the next day.[11][12] He was released on September 20, 2019.[13]

Pittsburgh Steelers
On September 25, 2019, Mack was signed to the Pittsburgh Steelers practice squad.[14] He was released on October 2, 2019.[15]

Kansas City Chiefs
On November 6, 2019, Mack was signed to the Kansas City Chiefs practice squad.[16] He was released on November 30. He signed a reserve/future contract with the Chiefs on January 9, 2020. He was waived on May 4, 2020.[17]

Detroit Lions
On February 11, 2021, Mack signed with the Detroit Lions.[18] He was waived on August 31, 2021 and re-signed to the practice squad the next day, but released the following day.[19][20]

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Half Empty wrote:
02 Feb 2022 16:15

New Orleans Saints
Mack was drafted by the New Orleans Saints in the seventh round (231st overall) of the 2019 NFL Draft.[10] He was waived on August 31, 2019 and was signed to the practice squad the next day.[11][12] He was released on September 20, 2019.[13]

Pittsburgh Steelers
On September 25, 2019, Mack was signed to the Pittsburgh Steelers practice squad.[14] He was released on October 2, 2019.[15]

Kansas City Chiefs
On November 6, 2019, Mack was signed to the Kansas City Chiefs practice squad.[16] He was released on November 30. He signed a reserve/future contract with the Chiefs on January 9, 2020. He was waived on May 4, 2020.[17]

Detroit Lions
On February 11, 2021, Mack signed with the Detroit Lions.[18] He was waived on August 31, 2021 and re-signed to the practice squad the next day, but released the following day.[19][20]
Rasul Douglas. NEVER stop looking.
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

paco wrote:
02 Feb 2022 17:02
Half Empty wrote:

New Orleans Saints

Pittsburgh Steelers

Kansas City Chiefs

Detroit Lions
James Harrison was cut 4 times by multiple teams (Steelers, Ravens. Rhein Fire) before finally showing enough to earn a permanent roster spot with the Steelers.

Yeah, those stories are rare but they happen. As [mention]paco[/mention] said, NEVER stop looking.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

APB wrote:
03 Feb 2022 06:42
paco wrote:
Half Empty wrote:

New Orleans Saints

Pittsburgh Steelers

Kansas City Chiefs

Detroit Lions
James Harrison was cut 4 times by multiple teams (Steelers, Ravens. Rhein Fire) before finally showing enough to earn a permanent roster spot with the Steelers.

Yeah, those stories are rare but they happen. As @paco said, NEVER stop looking.
This one is pretty down the rabbit hole, though. Wasn't even with an organization for the past two regular seasons. Credit to him for continuing to work. Sometimes these guys that want it the most actually to find a spot, but I certainly would give him very long odds and maybe long odds to even make it to training camp.

Read More. Post Less.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Again, I'm going to have to stop being subtle. Didn't I start with "I understand constantly looking"? The post was only supposed to mean that, in this particular instance, I was underwhelmed. Had never heard of the guy, and when I looked, he definitely did look like a gem.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Half Empty wrote:
03 Feb 2022 09:45
Again, I'm going to have to stop being subtle. Didn't I start with "I understand constantly looking"? The post was only supposed to mean that, in this particular instance, I was underwhelmed. Had never heard of the guy, and when I looked, he definitely did look like a gem.
Your lack of knowledge in ex-Saints 7th round picks disturbs me. :lol:

I'm pretty sure I had him in a mock or 2 back in the day. The hope was he could develop into a vertical threat/move TE. Had the size to work with, but obviously hasn't put it together yet.
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

NCF wrote:
03 Feb 2022 08:13
APB wrote:
03 Feb 2022 06:42
paco wrote:

Yeah, those stories are rare but they happen. As @paco said, NEVER stop looking.
This one is pretty down the rabbit hole, though. Wasn't even with an organization for the past two regular seasons. Credit to him for continuing to work. Sometimes these guys that want it the most actually to find a spot, but I certainly would give him very long odds and maybe long odds to even make it to training camp.
Oh I don't doubt the odds are long but 'tis the season for those longshot guys to do enough during a workout to justify an invite to TC. He apparently showed something in college or his limited pro tape to pique somebody's interest.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I would be happy to bring back MVS and EQSB as our free agent WR's. They would be cheap and I honestly think they have more to show than what they have put on film.

My guess is no more than 1 comes back though.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

go pak go wrote:
03 Feb 2022 15:42
I would be happy to bring back MVS and EQSB as our free agent WR's. They would be cheap and I honestly think they have more to show than what they have put on film.

My guess is no more than 1 comes back though.
Too bad we can't get EQSB's brother.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

paco wrote:
03 Feb 2022 15:23
Of course the guy wants to play professional football.

Also he probably saw what packers did with King - just let packers bid against themselves.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

EQ is god awful and had had 4 years to show us something and has given us absolutely nothing. That’s with playing with a MVP QB. He needs to learn how to say “May I take your order?”

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Personally, I'd bring ESB back if he's cheap. It's hard to tell if he's the problem, or if its the lack of touches.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
03 Feb 2022 21:10
Personally, I'd bring ESB back if he's cheap. It's hard to tell if he's the problem, or if its the lack of touches.
We have enough tape. Move on and maybe our next 6th round WR is Donald Driver.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
03 Feb 2022 21:10
he didnt have much competition, there is a reason he lacked touches