Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

paco wrote:
08 Mar 2022 17:53
Pugger wrote:
08 Mar 2022 17:41
Now I can cheer for Wilson ( except when the Broncos are playing us) because he no longer plays for the seachickens.
And I'm thinking I can keep hating the Broncos.
Years ago, I was at the game when Favre threw the OT touchdown to Greg Jennings. My wife's cousin's husband was a diehard Bronco fan and he hosted me at the game (instead of taking his beloved daughter). We had a great time. It was a great game. But once Favre struck and the game was over, his Broncos defeated, I felt so bad for him. I couldn't apologize. My guys had won. We're still friends to this day. But I know that experience scarred him in his football spirit. I just tell him that my Packers have lost too many controversial games in recent years and I know his pain.

:-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
09 Mar 2022 06:27
Drj820 wrote:
08 Mar 2022 16:08
Yoop wrote:
08 Mar 2022 15:15
what NO one knows including our GM and coaches is whether he has the mental makeup to match the physical skills, has he learned to read a defense, can he get past his first route read before panicking
The Packers just showed they know the answer to this by the tune of paying 153m to a 39 year old and turning down multiple first round pics.

Hackett and the Broncos showed they know the answer too by giving two firsts and two seconds and players for a veteran QB instead of like a 4 for Love.
Denver waited for Rodgers decision prior to trading for there 2nd choice, Love has nothing to do with this, Love is not ready at this time to start for any NFL team.

Seattle is in complete rebuild mode, we are not, but you and others think we should be, whatever you do, don't quit your day job :rotf:
no idea what you are talking about. My point was that if Hackett (who spent alot of time with Love), thought Love was ready to play he could have kept Fant, 2 1s, and 2 2s, and probably just given like a 4 for Love and gotten a young QB.

But he gave up the farm and had no interest in Love. Telling.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Yoop wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
Yoop wrote:
08 Mar 2022 15:15
what NO one knows including our GM and coaches is whether he has the mental makeup to match the physical skills, has he learned to read a defense, can he get past his first route read before panicking
The Packers just showed they know the answer to this by the tune of paying 153m to a 39 year old and turning down multiple first round pics.

Hackett and the Broncos showed they know the answer too by giving two firsts and two seconds and players for a veteran QB instead of like a 4 for Love.
Denver waited for Rodgers decision prior to trading for there 2nd choice, Love has nothing to do with this, Love is not ready at this time to start for any NFL team.

Seattle is in complete rebuild mode, we are not, but you and others think we should be, whatever you do, don't quit your day job :rotf:
Is it such a sure thing that the Broncos WANTED Rodgers and that the trade for Wilson only happened once Rodgers was off the table? I mean, all that I've seen is a bunch of "experts" in the sports media salivating over what was supposedly a Bronco trade for Rodgers. Have we seen REAL evidence that it was in the plans?

In fact, the Packers specifically said that there was no trade offer from the Broncos. That said, Pete Carroll said just last week that there was no way they'd trade Wilson. sigh.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Scott4Pack wrote:
09 Mar 2022 07:59
Yoop wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Is it such a sure thing that the Broncos WANTED Rodgers and that the trade for Wilson only happened once Rodgers was off the table? I mean, all that I've seen is a bunch of "experts" in the sports media salivating over what was supposedly a Bronco trade for Rodgers. Have we seen REAL evidence that it was in the plans?

In fact, the Packers specifically said that there was no trade offer from the Broncos. That said, Pete Carroll said just last week that there was no way they'd trade Wilson. sigh.
And all recent reports since the Wilson trade was announced was that he has been their target all along, this year. Rodgers was the target last year and when it was clear it wasn't happening, they moved to Wilson. Talks with Wilson had been going on for the last several weeks, month.

As usual fans and the media are always behind on these things. And that's ok.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I wonder about this, too. I wonder how many extra moves Gute might make to have a couple dips into free agency. We all assume it's just run the team back, but after two straight years of failures, maybe there is more of an appetite to cut more of the fat a run back a slightly different (and hopefully more dangerous) team.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
09 Mar 2022 07:56
Yoop wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

no idea what you are talking about. My point was that if Hackett (who spent alot of time with Love), thought Love was ready to play he could have kept Fant, 2 1s, and 2 2s, and probably just given like a 4 for Love and gotten a young QB.

OK, but why would Guty trade Love for a 4th round pick anyway, that doesn't even make sense, again, I'am not claiming to be a QB Guru but I know enough to claim as I have that knowing just how good Love may become is still a mystery to not only Lafluer and Guty but obviously other football people as well, Loves issues are mental, and it's impossible to know how that will develop until he plays more.

I'am not sure what the stumbling block is for you and others to grasp these simple truths, it's not the physical stuff that hampers the progress of young QB's, it's mental, it's how they respond when the blocking breaks down, and you can't really know that with practice, and Love hasn't played enough in real games for anyone to have faith that he can handle that stuff, YET.

regards to Scott: there were reports from several different sources that there where trade deals in place for Rodgers from 2 or 3 teams, Denver being the front runner, sure the reports could be false, but with several sources reporting, it lends credence to it.

and Gute would never leak if he had calls about a trade for Rodgers, that would be counter productive to his desire to retain Rodgers, right? you wouldn't do it Scott.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Drj820 wrote:
Yoop wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

I get your point, I made the same one earlier, but like no way we would trade Love for a 4th. Maybe like a one and a three. I am guessing love isn’t worth that, why he won’t be traded, but what do the packers gain trading him for a 4th?

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Yoop wrote:
09 Mar 2022 08:24
Drj820 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

OK, but why would Guty trade Love for a 4th round pick anyway, that doesn't even make sense, again, I'am not claiming to be a QB Guru but I know enough to claim as I have that knowing just how good Love may become is still a mystery to not only Lafluer and Guty but obviously other football people as well, Loves issues are mental, and it's impossible to know how that will develop until he plays more.

I'am not sure what the stumbling block is for you and others to grasp these simple truths, it's not the physical stuff that hampers the progress of young QB's, it's mental, it's how they respond when the blocking breaks down, and you can't really know that with practice, and Love hasn't played enough in real games for anyone to have faith that he can handle that stuff, YET.

regards to Scott: there were reports from several different sources that there where trade deals in place for Rodgers from 2 or 3 teams, Denver being the front runner, sure the reports could be false, but with several sources reporting, it lends credence to it.

and Gute would never leak if he had calls about a trade for Rodgers, that would be counter productive to his desire to retain Rodgers, right? you wouldn't do it Scott.
I’m not going to make a fool of myself and suggest that I’ve seen all sources. But all of the stories that I did see about a potential Pack/Broncos trade referred to anonymous sources or were pure speculation.

If I were Guty, I’d keep everything close to the vest, for sure.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Speculation about a possible Love trade is also just speculation.

I think there’s no way the Pack trade Love, unless a crazy good offer comes in. Love still has value. Keeping Rodgers doesn’t change that one bit.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
09 Mar 2022 08:05
Scott4Pack wrote:
Yoop wrote:

And all recent reports since the Wilson trade was announced was that he has been their target all along, this year. Rodgers was the target last year and when it was clear it wasn't happening, they moved to Wilson. Talks with Wilson had been going on for the last several weeks, month.

Denver has been shopping for a QB for a few years, so I'd imagine they had several prospects they wanted, once Rodgers decided to stay here Denver went to plan B, sure there had been news they had interest in Wilson, but we had heard they wanted Rodgers since last off season right up till a day or two ago.

Wilson has wanted a trade, had fallen out of favor with Carrol, who fired the OC because he wanted to run versus allowing his HOF QB to throw more, imo Paco Denver paid to much, but they where lucky two HOF QB's where available, there chance of getting one where good, but they paid a lot to get one, the Rams paid less, and so did Tampa, Denver wasn't taking any chances for Seattle to say no, they had already lost out on Rodgers.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Drj820 wrote:
Yoop wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

I think you're ignoring a couple critical points:

1) Hackett is not the GM, George Paton is. Paton hired Hackett not even a month ago. Yes, Paton very likely has some degree of confidence in Hackett's evaluation of Love but Paton is also a scout at heart and saw Love in action with his own eyes. If Paton had a negative view of Love based upon his own analysis, I doubt he's willing to risk the fortunes of that roster based upon the word of a new and unproven coach regarding his assessment of an even greater unproven QB.

2) Related to point #1, the Broncos roster is ready to compete for a championship today with the addition of a proven QB. They don't have time to further develop Love or any other potential-laden QB while the rest of their roster bleeds through age and FA attrition. Hackett and Paton may very well think highly of Love's potential but they haven't the time to develop it with the state of their current roster.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Yoop wrote:
09 Mar 2022 09:50
paco wrote:
09 Mar 2022 08:05
Scott4Pack wrote:

Denver has been shopping for a QB for a few years, so I'd imagine they had several prospects they wanted, once Rodgers decided to stay here Denver went to plan B, sure there had been news they had interest in Wilson, but we had heard they wanted Rodgers since last off season right up till a day or two ago.

Wilson has wanted a trade, had fallen out of favor with Carrol, who fired the OC because he wanted to run versus allowing his HOF QB to throw more, imo Paco Denver paid to much, but they where lucky two HOF QB's where available, there chance of getting one where good, but they paid a lot to get one, the Rams paid less, and so did Tampa, Denver wasn't taking any chances for Seattle to say no, they had already lost out on Rodgers.
No doubt about what Denver needed and was looking for. My point is, this didn't change yesterday with Rodgers' announcement yesterday. Both Denver and Green Bay knew before we did. So things shifted well before yesterday and reports are that it shifted after Rodgers returned last season.

But none of it really matters. Broncos got their QB and I hope they drown. Seahawks are starting over with a 70 year old gum chewing putz as HC, and I love it.

Rodgers is back, I'm still and always a Packers fan, and lets go win some :lombardi: :lombardi: :lombardi:
RIP JustJeff

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Heh
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Gross.

Read More. Post Less.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

What now ..?

—Magneto

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Labrev wrote:
09 Mar 2022 13:32
What now ..?

3 1sts or forget it.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF wrote:
09 Mar 2022 13:37
Labrev wrote:
09 Mar 2022 13:32
What now ..?

3 1sts or forget it.
Just saw a headline when researching their picks that they have the 3rd worst draft capital this year.

They pick 42 which is a pretty good pick and a good start.

Would need some kind of contingent 2023 pick that would include a potential first rounder, and I could dig it.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Two Day 2 picks would be enough for me, tbh. They do not both have to be for this year's draft. Two thirds, third and next year second, they can have him.

I get that shipping out a young QB on his rookie contract is not the rational thing to do, especially given that Rodgers could be out of the picture at any point in the next four years anyway, but I would be listening to my gut on this one, not my head. And my gut says Love does not have it, so just use what you get for him to build up that all-in roster.

Then again, I probably would not have brought back Rodgers and Adams together in the first place, so....
—Magneto

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

BF004 wrote:
08 Mar 2022 14:50
Realist wrote:
08 Mar 2022 14:33
salmar80 wrote:
08 Mar 2022 14:25

Because it's a crap QB class, there are a lot of teams in need of a QB, so even if Love's auditions in 2021 didn't go great, this still may be the best time to get a high pick for him. It's unlikely Love will get a lot of 2022 snaps with us to prove himself. Love is still cheap, and if a team trades for him now, they get a year to evaluate him on the cheap before deciding on 5th year option or extension.
Is there something I am missing about Love? Why would a team offer anything more then a very late round flier pick on him? Does he look awesome in practice?
I don't get why this is always so hard for people to grasp. What you (31 separate NFL GM's, not just random internet guy) is willing to offer for Love is its own thing. We have our opinions, but that hat is its very own discussion.

The discussion here was if the Packers would be willing to trade their 1st round QB with two years of really cheap control and even a 3rd year of cheap control who knows the playbook well, what might that be. He has very different value to us.

If those two bubbles ever overlap, a trade should probably happen. But it is very unlikely, why most people don't get traded, and takes the right fit. There may have been a possibility with Hackett in Denver given his knowledge of Love.

But we should be smart enough as a group to be able to say what the Packers would ask for if someone calls (a lot) without every single time coming in and saying 'no way we get that' or 'he is only worth a late round pick, take the rose colored glasses off' etc. etc.
Damn, I always get it wrong.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I'd rather not trade Love if possible. And yes I would love a way to sign Allen Robinson. As we have noted before, we like MVS and Lazard but they wouldn't have even made the roster in the early 2010s.