Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

APB wrote:
21 Dec 2022 21:32
Annie with her week 15 review… :aok: :lol:

Roots look one week longer. :hide:

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

APB wrote:
24 Dec 2022 08:15
Raptorman wrote:
23 Dec 2022 14:58
Labrev wrote:
23 Dec 2022 13:36

So do the Patriots win SuperBowl LI with Brock Purdy as their starting QB for the whole game?

You said: "Brady didn't do anything Brock Purdy isn't doing in San Fran right now" (emphasis mine).
Brady is a slightly above-average QB when his team gives up 20-31 points, he's average when they give up 32 points or more.

As to your question, which Super Bowl are you talking about? My comment was about the regular season. The fact is, only one QB who has won multiple Super Bowls didn't have top 10 defenses during the regular season. And his name wasn't Brady. 67% of Brady's wins during the regular season came when his defense gave up 19 points or less. And 51% of games he played in the defense held the other team to under 19. No other QB comes close. Not Rodgers, not Montona, who also had great defenses. He just didn't play as long as Brady did.
Lost in your basic statistical breakdown is the complimentary football aspect.

Brady's consistent and competent play on the offensive side of the ball throughout all those wins allowed the defense to play to Belichick's preferred style of defense. Rarely was Belichick's defense getting gassed or overextended because they fell into big deficits. Brady kept them in pretty much every game. A defense performs a lot better when the offense also does it's job.
So, explain the Packers under Rodgers.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Labrev wrote:
24 Dec 2022 08:29
@Raptorman SuperBowl LI i.e. the fifty-first SuperBowl, the one where New England beat Atlanta.

Put your money where your mouth is. Does New England win that game with Brock Purdy playing QB the whole game?
Don't know. It's certainly possible. What I do know, is the Falcons scored at the 8:31 mark of the 3rd quarter and never made it past the New England 35-yard line again. NE defense also came up with the ball on the Atlanta 25-yard line giving Brady a short field.

You can play the what-if game all you want. You can't say he wouldn't have won it any more than I can say he would have.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Raptorman wrote:
24 Dec 2022 16:51
APB wrote:
Raptorman wrote:
23 Dec 2022 14:58

Brady is a slightly above-average QB when his team gives up 20-31 points, he's average when they give up 32 points or more.

As to your question, which Super Bowl are you talking about? My comment was about the regular season. The fact is, only one QB who has won multiple Super Bowls didn't have top 10 defenses during the regular season. And his name wasn't Brady. 67% of Brady's wins during the regular season came when his defense gave up 19 points or less. And 51% of games he played in the defense held the other team to under 19. No other QB comes close. Not Rodgers, not Montona, who also had great defenses. He just didn't play as long as Brady did.

Brady's consistent and competent play on the offensive side of the ball throughout all those wins allowed the defense to play to Belichick's preferred style of defense. Rarely was Belichick's defense getting gassed or overextended because they fell into big deficits. Brady kept them in pretty much every game. A defense performs a lot better when the offense also does it's job.
Pretty simple. The Packers defense wasn't coached by Belichick. It's been consistently crappy. Non-complimentary, if you will, thus a lack of championships.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
24 Dec 2022 21:15
Raptorman wrote:
APB wrote:

Pretty simple. The Packers defense wasn't coached by Belichick. It's been consistently crappy. Non-complimentary, if you will, thus a lack of championships.
The emphasis is absolutely non complimentary. There have been years the defense did their part in the playoffs only to have the offense not show up. We all know the years. It's about 60% defense let down and 40% offense let down.

But the largest thing under Packers teams with Rodgers is absolutely non complimentary. And then you have the two years where we just didn't belong on the same field (2016 and 2019 NFC Title games)
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
24 Dec 2022 22:33
APB wrote:
Raptorman wrote:

The emphasis is absolutely non complimentary. There have been years the defense did their part in the playoffs only to have the offense not show up. We all know the years. It's about 60% defense let down and 40% offense let down.

But the largest thing under Packers teams with Rodgers is absolutely non complimentary. And then you have the two years where we just didn't belong on the same field (2016 and 2019 NFC Title games)
the offense &%$@ the bed in the 2020 loss, 7 dropped passes, one a sure TD, another a probable TD, defense sure did there part in that one, but I agree for most of the decade the defense didn't help the offense enough

to many draft bust with trying to build the defense, I bet it haunted Ted till the day he died.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
25 Dec 2022 07:56
go pak go wrote:
24 Dec 2022 22:33
APB wrote:

the offense &%$@ the bed in the 2020 loss, 7 dropped passes, one a sure TD, another a probable TD, defense sure did there part in that one, but I agree for most of the decade the defense didn't help the offense enough

to many draft bust with trying to build the defense, I bet it haunted Ted till the day he died.
I see it as organizational failure. Invested WAY too many resources on defense to fit what Capers wanted to do, then heavily invested for Pettine, and then, again invested for Barry. Never fully believed in the players or a philosophy. It’s never going to be fixed that way.

Read More. Post Less.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

It’s about leadership. We never had a leader like belichik for a coach that just wouldn’t stand for some of the bs we’ve dealt with on defense and STs, and leadership at QB. We e never had a Brady.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Browns allowed their fans to carry in 1 20 oz thermos! &%$@!

Although I am pretty sure most Green Bay fans would just bring in 20 oz of Brandy...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

[mention]Raptorman[/mention] my man, you are out of your depth in your Brady hate. I hate him too, but man is that man a good quarterback of a football team!

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Dec 2022 23:21
@Raptorman my man, you are out of your depth in your Brady hate. I hate him too, but man is that man a good quarterback of a football team!
Tell us, how many games has Brady won this year when his defense gave up 20 points or more?

But yeah, I'm out of my depth.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
25 Dec 2022 11:51
It’s about leadership. We never had a leader like belichik for a coach that just wouldn’t stand for some of the bs we’ve dealt with on defense and STs, and leadership at QB. We e never had a Brady.
you set the bench mark for success with the best coach and arguably the best QB so you can point out that we didn't reach that mark, when 30 other teams didn't reach it either. :lol:

During Capers tenure the talent level took a huge dive since 2010 SB year, year after year we lost all starters at several different positions, thats not a leadership issue, we went consecutive seasons without a starter caliber CB, no GM can stock depth to over come that, not even Belechick, and your bound to bleed run yards minus lbs and safety's, we seemed injury prone on defense year after year along with the poor draft picks

I think it's more then just a lack of leadership, when ya lose starting talent, to often the drop off is enough that DC's scheme up plays to exploit that position, the more backup players the easier that becomes.

IMO those injury plagued seasons caused a tentativeness with physical practice, McCarthy was so worried about injury's he reacted by limiting contact, sorta damned if ya do or don't thing.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Raptorman wrote:
25 Dec 2022 23:51
Pckfn23 wrote:
@Raptorman my man, you are out of your depth in your Brady hate. I hate him too, but man is that man a good quarterback of a football team!
Tell us, how many games has Brady won this year when his defense gave up 20 points or more?

you are out of your depth, you know Brady is way past the days when he dominated, and your attempt to make a point that Brady couldn't win with out a top 5 defense is as well.

NE had excellent balance, of potent short WCO, and good to great defense, your on this kick that minus a top 5 or so defense all QB's struggle, or those teams can't win, you keep moving the GP, we all get your point.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Raptorman wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

Why are you so crazy focused on this year?

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Dec 2022 00:19
Raptorman wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

Why are you so crazy focused on this year?
Fine, pick any year. Pick any number of years. His percentages don't change that much. Pick any QB to compare him to.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Yoop wrote:
26 Dec 2022 00:08
Raptorman wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

you are out of your depth, you know Brady is way past the days when he dominated, and your attempt to make a point that Brady couldn't win with out a top 5 defense is as well.

NE had excellent balance, of potent short WCO, and good to great defense, your on this kick that minus a top 5 or so defense all QB's struggle, or those teams can't win, you keep moving the GP, we all get your point.
Really? The last three years. 3 QBs. Pick Bradys

Code: Select all

PPGD        Record.
QB1
less 20      16-1
20-29        12-8
30+           4-6 
QB2
less 20      21-2
20-29	     13-8
30+	      2-8

QB3 
less 20       8-1
20-29        15-7
30+          4-12  
This should be easy. After all, he's the GOAT. These numbers include playoff games as well. So come on. If I'm out of my depth, anyone should be able to pick Brady's numbers from the above three.

The Percentages don't change much during his entire career, why is that so hard for people to understand? But if you don't believe me, prove me wrong. Show me my numbers are wrong.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
26 Dec 2022 00:00
Drj820 wrote:
25 Dec 2022 11:51
you set the bench mark for success with the best coach and arguably the best QB so you can point out that we didn't reach that mark, when 30 other teams didn't reach it either. :lol:

During Capers tenure the talent level took a huge dive since 2010 SB year, year after year we lost all starters at several different positions, thats not a leadership issue, we went consecutive seasons without a starter caliber CB, no GM can stock depth to over come that, not even Belechick, and your bound to bleed run yards minus lbs and safety's, we seemed injury prone on defense year after year along with the poor draft picks

I think it's more then just a lack of leadership, when ya lose starting talent, to often the drop off is enough that DC's scheme up plays to exploit that position, the more backup players the easier that becomes.

IMO those injury plagued seasons caused a tentativeness with physical practice, McCarthy was so worried about injury's he reacted by limiting contact, sorta damned if ya do or don't thing.
Yoop I used Brady, bill, and the patriots as my example because we’ve been discussing Brady, bill, and the patriots with Raptor and others. Keep up.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Raptorman wrote:
26 Dec 2022 01:18
Yoop wrote:
26 Dec 2022 00:08
Raptorman wrote:

Really? The last three years. 3 QBs. Pick Bradys

Code: Select all

PPGD        Record.
QB1
less 20      16-1
20-29        12-8
30+           4-6 
QB2
less 20      21-2
20-29	     13-8
30+	      2-8

QB3 
less 20       8-1
20-29        15-7
30+          4-12  
This should be easy. After all, he's the GOAT. These numbers include playoff games as well. So come on. If I'm out of my depth, anyone should be able to pick Brady's numbers from the above three.

The Percentages don't change much during his entire career, why is that so hard for people to understand? But if you don't believe me, prove me wrong. Show me my numbers are wrong.
this isn't what I'am getting at, your point is well taken, I accept that QB's (teams) win more on average with a great defense, my point is that on average just like this year about 5 or 6 teams hold opponents to less then 20 points, and 3 of the 5 this years may not even make the PO's, and the best one's odds of winning it all are less then some teams that gave up more then 20 ppg.

I think that matters more then trying to prove Brady can't win minus a top 5 defense, which I doubt he had for every SB win.

and there is probably a big difference in the win /loss column of teams that gave up 22 ppg versus those that gave up say 28 or 29 ppg, so your scale imo is misleading.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/o ... s-per-game

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »