General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Davante Adams gets coveted 99 rating, the highest possible, in the newest patch to the Madden football game. :king:

Kinda makes me wanna pay the bucks for the game - the Packers should be hella fun to play with this season.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

salmar80 wrote:
31 Dec 2020 01:01
Davante Adams gets coveted 99 rating, the highest possible, in the newest patch to the Madden football game. :king:

Kinda makes me wanna pay the bucks for the game - the Packers should be hella fun to play with this season.

Davante is the best WR in the league this year. Better than Tyreek. Better than Hopkins. Maybe best WR I have seen in a Packers uniform since I became a fan. I don't know what he did to add to his game this year, maybe it's the jukes or something, but he's pretty creative with the ball in his hands.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
30 Dec 2020 10:02
Yoop wrote:
30 Dec 2020 08:58
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
30 Dec 2020 08:21

Thanks for posting the jsonline story Yooper. So sorry to hear the sad news about Tootie Robbins.
Ya, first I'd heard of Robbins dying too, and of covid as well, so young at only 62 yrs.

so many news sites now have a pay wall, ya only get a couple articles unless you join, I decided to try a 6 month trial membership, it'll get me through the football season, then i'll probably cancel ;)
Incognito browsing has more than one use. ;)

If that wasn't clear, in pretty much any browser, you can go into a 'private browsing session', 'incognito mode', etc. where you won't use any cookies or saved site data, nor will it save anything. You can view unlimited articles then at places like jsonline.

You can also just manually go into your cookies and search jsonline and delete them all, and it will reset your 5 article per month limit.

image.png
thanks I'll try and remember this once my .99 cent a month trial period is up :aok:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

sure glad we didn't cut Adams after his terrible 2nd season :rotf:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
31 Dec 2020 07:26
That was during the 7 to 8 year era of TT and Gute not giving Rodgers any WRs or offensive weapons right? ;)
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
31 Dec 2020 07:40
Yoop wrote:
That was during the 7 to 8 year era of TT and Gute not giving Rodgers any WRs or offensive weapons right? ;)
well your exagerating,but pretty close, and the draft picks and FA's brought in pretty much bares this out, but back to the point, most fans thought he was a bust, only several here defended Adams that season ;)

anyway, I'am guilty of this stuff to, ( just not as guilty as U's guys :lol: ) a lot of young players fail there first year or two, then improve greatly in the 3rd or 4th season, we see this often with trench players imo.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
31 Dec 2020 10:08
go pak go wrote:
31 Dec 2020 07:40
Yoop wrote:
well your exagerating,but pretty close, and the draft picks and FA's brought in pretty much bares this out, but back to the point, most fans thought he was a bust, only several here defended Adams that season ;)
Yeah. Usually you did say 5 to 6 years. Not 7 to 8. Though you did that too....just not as often. :lol:
anyway, I'am guilty of this stuff to, ( just not as guilty as U's guys :lol: ) a lot of young players fail there first year or two, then improve greatly in the 3rd or 4th season, we see this often with trench players imo.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

texas wrote:
31 Dec 2020 01:57
Davante is the best WR in the league this year. Better than Tyreek. Better than Hopkins. Maybe best WR I have seen in a Packers uniform since I became a fan. I don't know what he did to add to his game this year, maybe it's the jukes or something, but he's pretty creative with the ball in his hands.
A user at FootballsFuture who's a scout IRL (palmy50) said that Adams was basically an identical athlete to Sammy Watkins, minus only timed speed (Watkins ran 4.43, Adams mid-4.5). They are both 2014 draft alumni.

Watkins has been underwhelming, so it's easy to forget how much hype there was around him as a draft prospect -- dominant college player, rare quickness and body-control. Buffalo moved into the Top-5 to get Watkins, moving up from 9 overall and giving up their next year's 1st and 4th to do it.

So what Adams is doing now is what people were expecting Watkins to be. Dominant, HOF-caliber, it's like we took the draft's #1-rated WR prospect that our fans only dream about us getting every year... with our 2nd-round pick. Nice!

'Gotta think this is right up there with Nick Collins as one of TT's greatest draft picks behind A-Rod.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
31 Dec 2020 11:53
texas wrote:
A user at FootballsFuture who's a scout IRL (palmy50) said that Adams was basically an identical athlete to Sammy Watkins, minus only timed speed (Watkins ran 4.43, Adams mid-4.5). They are both 2014 draft alumni.

Watkins has been underwhelming, so it's easy to forget how much hype there was around him as a draft prospect -- dominant college player, rare quickness and body-control. Buffalo moved into the Top-5 to get Watkins, moving up from 9 overall and giving up their next year's 1st and 4th to do it.

So what Adams is doing now is what people were expecting Watkins to be. Dominant, HOF-caliber, it's like we took the draft's #1-rated WR prospect that our fans only dream about us getting every year... with our 2nd-round pick. Nice!

'Gotta think this is right up there with Nick Collins as one of TT's greatest draft picks behind A-Rod.
Ted was excellent at drafting receivers in the 2nd round, Jennings, Nelson and Cobb where 2nd rounders, I think James Jones was a 3rd round pick.

not sure what happened with Watkins, I expect it had to do with who was throwing the ball, and imo Adams is a lot quicker then he is fast, he sure doesn't look like a 4.5 player.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Yoop wrote:
31 Dec 2020 12:20
not sure what happened with Watkins
multiple foot injuries early in his career cost him some of his athleticism. He's also had hip, groin and shoulder tears plus at least 2 concussions
IT. IS. TIME

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Yoop wrote:
Labrev wrote:
texas wrote:

Ted was excellent at drafting receivers in the 2nd round, Jennings, Nelson and Cobb where 2nd rounders, I think James Jones was a 3rd round pick.

not sure what happened with Watkins, I expect it had to do with who was throwing the ball, and imo Adams is a lot quicker then he is fast, he sure doesn't look like a 4.5 player.
Perfected technique can make you practically quicker than testing numbers would indicate. Sudden cuts, well-disguised routes and having the timing down to the T with your QB get you open way more often than running fast. That elite long speed is nice to have, but doesn't come into play all that often. A guy like MVS is nice to have, but I'll take a player who can run all the routes any day.

I think that's what made TT's picks so great: He targeted guys with good hands who were students of technique and route running, but who didn't quite have 1st round -worthy freaky size-speed combos or testing numbers.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
Labrev wrote:
texas wrote:

Billy Howton was a 2nd round pick. Howton retired as the all-time NFL leader in receptions and yardage. Also Howton set Packers team records that still stand today: 1) Most receiving yards by a rookie with 1,231 yards in 1952 and 2) Highest yardage game with 257 yards against the Los Angeles Rams in 1956. Boyd Dowler, Robert Brooks and Antonio Freeman were 3rd round picks. Dowler and Freeman wore Billy Howton's #86. Dowler won Rookie of the Year and made the All-1960s Decade team. Max McGee was a 5th round pick. James Lofton #80 and Sterling Sharpe #84 were both 1st round picks. #80 Donald Driver was a 7th round draft pick. As much as I like Jordy and Adams ............ on any 'must get a first down' passing play I would have to go with Sterling Sharpe. Maybe the right answer is Billy Howton or Don Hutson instead ........ don't know. :idn:
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 31 Dec 2020 13:34, edited 5 times in total.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BSA wrote:
31 Dec 2020 12:30
Yoop wrote:
not sure what happened with Watkins
multiple foot injuries early in his career cost him some of his athleticism. He's also had hip, groin and shoulder tears plus at least 2 concussions
thanks, I knew it had to be something like this, he was good his first few seasons, foot injury's are bound to rob a players ability to cut and go, Palmy's comparison was probably focused on his pre draft scouting of both players.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

OBJ3 was maybe my favorite prospect ever. I wanted to put him so bad above Sammy Watkins for my WR rankings, but just couldn't, like Sammy too much as well.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

2014 was such a fun draft class. I don't know much about scouting CB's, but I remember watching Combine coverage and the best two I have ever seen in on-field drills were Jason Verrett (#1) and Jaire Alexander. Throw the stopwatches out and just watch some of these kids move and change direction effortlessly. That seems to translate onto the field better than any numbers I have ever seen.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
31 Dec 2020 13:13
2014 was such a fun draft class. I don't know much about scouting CB's, but I remember watching Combine coverage and the best two I have ever seen in on-field drills were Jason Verrett (#1) and Jaire Alexander. Throw the stopwatches out and just watch some of these kids move and change direction effortlessly. That seems to translate onto the field better than any numbers I have ever seen.
Also holds up in the negative since Josh Jackson had some of the worst onfield drills :lol:

I think the reason I hold off on evaluating CBs is that for me, I really have to watch a lot of them. You can start with highlights but those mean crap for an every-down challenge where winning 40% of the time can fill a great reel while you still get beat 60% of the time and stink. If you can just watch the combine and get a great feel like that, you're doing great! I spend so much time watching CBs play and admittedly, I compared Jaire to Revis before he was drafted, so I'm obviously an expert ( 8-) ) but it's not like WRs and RBs and even OTs where I can spend several minutes on someone and have my mind made up. CBs rankings for me are constantly changing and fluid and feel uncertain. I lean a lot more on, like, PFF stats, but don't have access to them all so I'm scrounging for snippets of info in their columns.

DBs are a pain, man.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
31 Dec 2020 13:23
NCF wrote:
Also holds up in the negative since Josh Jackson had some of the worst onfield drills :lol:

I think the reason I hold off on evaluating CBs is that for me, I really have to watch a lot of them. You can start with highlights but those mean crap for an every-down challenge where winning 40% of the time can fill a great reel while you still get beat 60% of the time and stink. If you can just watch the combine and get a great feel like that, you're doing great! I spend so much time watching CBs play and admittedly, I compared Jaire to Revis before he was drafted, so I'm obviously an expert ( 8-) ) but it's not like WRs and RBs and even OTs where I can spend several minutes on someone and have my mind made up. CBs rankings for me are constantly changing and fluid and feel uncertain. I lean a lot more on, like, PFF stats, but don't have access to them all so I'm scrounging for snippets of info in their columns.

DBs are a pain, man.
Speaking of pain .......... Packers first round pick from 2013 is still in the league ........ although he's no longer a Packah, he is currently a Raidah.

5th round pick Micah Hyde from the 2013 draft is doing just fine still up in Buffalo.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
31 Dec 2020 13:23
NCF wrote:

DBs are a pain, man.
I agree. For me, when it comes to DB's, I am reading far more than I am watching. For one, I don't have enough access to the kinds of things I should be watching nor the time, so I rely on others to do that for me. DB's are fun, though, because, and probably for the reasons you stated, there usually is not a real strong consensus, especially once you get past the top prospect or two. It's not like Verrett or Jaire were mid-round prospects, though, they were top prospects by most accounts. I just remember seeing them workout and thinking those guys were going to stand out above their peers just based on how fluid of athletes they were. Even the top guys year in and year out didn't move like these guys. I'm glad Verrett finally got the chance to show what he could do this year as his career has been decimated by injuries, but whenever he is on the field, he is an absolute field-tilter. Same, obviously, with Jaire.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pretty sure it has been nothing more than luck, but I have a very very good draft history with WR's, starting around Keenan Allen and Deondre Hopkins as my first two big crushes.

To the contrary, I can't think of a single CB I have really really liked pre-draft process that has turned out good. Almost to the point where I don't even bother digging much into the CB's anymore. :lol:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

texas wrote:
salmar80 wrote:
31 Dec 2020 01:01

I would say Davante is the best WR in green and gold since Sterling Sharpe.