Rodgers Watch 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Rodgers 2023

Poll ended at 03 Jun 2023 21:19

Retired
7%
Traded
66%
Packer
27%

Total votes: 44

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

AmishMafia wrote:
15 Mar 2023 18:15
texas wrote:
15 Mar 2023 16:22
German_Panzer wrote:
15 Mar 2023 14:59
I even believe #12 that the Packers originally wanted him back right after the end of the season.
I haven't watched the Pat McAfee interview yet. Did Rodgers really say this?
Quick summary:

If you are a bigger fan of the Packers than AR: he said he is "debatably the greatest Packer ever," and is an egomaniac. Who would say such a thing? What an idiot. Then he contradicted himself a few times regarding how the Packers dealt with him.

If you are a bigger AR fan than of the Packers: The Packers are trying to screw him over because Gute is a horrible GM and is heartless with cutting older players. AR was so chill - not angry at all, just a realist.
I think AR has a huge ego and Gute is a horrible GM

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Scott4Pack wrote:
15 Mar 2023 17:05
go pak go wrote:
15 Mar 2023 15:38
Drj820 wrote:
15 Mar 2023 15:31
NFL xm radio said there is no financial advantage for packers to move rodgers until first week of season.

Is this true? This led them to say they have all the power.

I thought we’d want him off our books sooner than later.
I feel like about 4 or 5 people have answered this quite a bit on this forum.

Right now Rodgers cost $31MM on our cap.
If we trade Rodgers now or he retires he will cost $40 MM on our cap.

And yes. We have until September to make a move otherwise the Option officially kicks in.

So our cap actually increases the sooner we make a move (from a Top 51 standpoint) and doesn't actually have a "can't go back now" on the cap until September. Getting Rodgers off our books sooner increases our 2023 cap hit.
And don’t forget the bonus that he is due anytime between now and the first week of the season. It is imperative that he is off roster before then. Otherwise, he’s just a guy on the roster and employee of the Green Bay Packers.
:-)
There is no bonus between now and September. The Option goes into effect in September.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

lupedafiasco wrote:
15 Mar 2023 16:36
texas wrote:
German_Panzer wrote:
I even believe #12 that the Packers originally wanted him back right after the end of the season.
He said they said take as long as you need to decide on retirement. Then waited for him to go into his darkness thing so they could build a case against him and work the media like the snakes they are.
No. That is not what he said.
In the past the door to return was “wide open.” This year the FO was more conservative about it before he went to darkness. But “something changed” before he came out of darkness. And then, after discussing other points, he circled back to talk about how it felt like the end for most of the season.

He also expressed directly how he completely understands the FOs want to move on. McAfee tried to stir that up a bit. But Rodgers exactly said he had “nothing but love and appreciation” for everybody in the organization.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Packers seemed to be villainized a bit today, best thing packers/gute can do is just put down the phone for 2-4 days, not respond to anything.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

BF004 wrote:
15 Mar 2023 19:05
Packers seemed to be villainized a bit today, best thing packers/gute can do is just put down the phone for 2-4 days, not respond to anything.
If you mean from or by 12, I 100% saw the opposite from him.

He spent lengthy time expressing love and appreciation to everybody in the Packer organization. He could not have been more clear about that without having repeated himself about fifty times.

Now the press is another thing entirely, including McAfee. He even ventured to ask 12 if the Jets hiring the new OC Hacket was a move to draw 12. 12 gave the JETS heat about that, talking about how that gives disservice to Hacket as a coach and a person. 12 gave more criticism to the Jets than to the Packers.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

AmishMafia wrote:
texas wrote:
German_Panzer wrote:
Quick summary:

If you are a bigger fan of the Packers than AR: he said he is "debatably the greatest Packer ever," and is an egomaniac. Who would say such a thing? What an idiot. Then he contradicted himself a few times regarding how the Packers dealt with him.

If you are a bigger AR fan than of the Packers: The Packers are trying to screw him over because Gute is a horrible GM and is heartless with cutting older players. AR was so chill - not angry at all, just a realist.
more divisinist tactics, so now we can't be a fan of both the player and also the team, no 1st round draft picks on offense since that Tackle bust 7 or so years ago, not just WR's, who the hell short changes a offense with a first ballot HOF QB, this whole fo needs a hosing out, I'd fire everyone from Murphy on down.

And what do we have to show for it? 8 years of using 1st round and a lot of 2nd and 3rd rounders for a average defense, while the offense made do with the left overs.

most on here are fed up for not winning more play off games or SB's, problem as I see it, is they mis direct there blame, I think it's genetic, most fans didn't know who to blame for the chaos of the 70's and 80's either.

ahh, this has been so frustrating for me, knowing we had a player capable of so much more, yet the powers that be skimped on a position they had just seen win 15 games, we where Air raid revisited, but since the defense sucked it's been in rebuild mode for almost a decade, how insane.

I don't need trophys, what I do need is great offensive football, I liked the Air raid offense, that can get 6 in 2 plays, not that I don't like the running, I do, I simply like the passing more, and back till Jordy's knee blew out I was expecting that brand to continue, Ted let me down, and Guty seemed bound and determined not to change that
time for a change, sorry for the rant

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

He seemed to be disconsolate that his time in Green Bay was over. Unfortunately he claims he likes transparency but I think he doesn't realize the vibes he gives off. To me the most telling line of the whole segment was when AJ asked him if the Packers told him after the darkness "we love you, come back and get this going" would you have jumped at the chance to go back? Aaron's response was "not really" which he then clarified as I knew that wasn't going to happen because that wasn't the vibe throughout the season.

So he sat back in those January meetings and he didn't ask them "hey I get the vibe that you want to move on,if that's true then just tell me right now." But he instead, is waiting for them to tell him that, which they, of course, stroke his ego and say "take your time and if you want to play we want you here". I'll bet that the FO would say that we were hoping Aaron would say "hey I don't think I can do this anymore" or "I'm all in for next year if you want me". So both sides were waiting for the other to make the first move.

Throw in that Love's agent who is Rodgers agent tells the Packers that if Aaron is back Jordan would like to seek a trade. I don't think Gutey wanted to look like he was pushing Aaron out and that is when Murphy came to his rescue and made the comments about Rodgers talking to the Jets. Murphy fell on the sword for Gutey.

One other thought, did they keep playing Rodgers with a broken thumb knowing he wasn't 100% so that if this came to light the fans wouldn't be so insistent on keeping him? If you think Love is ready to start now, then why wouldn't you think he was better than Rodgers with a broken thumb? That decision probably cost us the playoffs.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

I expect a deal soon. Rodgers’ contract will have to be redone. So it’s not just the 2 GMs negotiating. It’s also Rodgers agent, the Jets GM and their salary cap guy. Rodgers contract was complicated. So maybe tomorrow or the next day.

Plus, if the Packers are getting a player in return, they’ll probably want to rework his contract too.
Love is the answer…

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

The Namath cards are more interesting.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
15 Mar 2023 19:11
BF004 wrote:

He spent lengthy time expressing love and appreciation to everybody in the Packer organization. He could not have been more clear about that without having repeated himself about fifty times.

Now the press is another thing entirely, including McAfee. He even ventured to ask 12 if the Jets hiring the new OC Hacket was a move to draw 12. 12 gave the JETS heat about that, talking about how that gives disservice to Hacket as a coach and a person. 12 gave more criticism to the Jets than to the Packers.
Just the part where he said ‘the packers are digging in their heels trying to get compensation for me’ as the reason for the trade not happening yet.

Seems to publicly put a little pressure on Gute to get this rolling for all parties.

I’m just saying put the phone down till next week, keep leaking we are content waiting till the draft. Get the ball back in our court a bit.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop wrote:
15 Mar 2023 19:31
AmishMafia wrote:
texas wrote:

Quick summary:

more divisinist tactics, so now we can't be a fan of both the player and also the team, no 1st round draft picks on offense since that Tackle bust 7 or so years ago, not just WR's, who the hell short changes a offense with a first ballot HOF QB, this whole fo needs a hosing out, I'd fire everyone from Murphy on down.

And what do we have to show for it? 8 years of using 1st round and a lot of 2nd and 3rd rounders for a average defense, while the offense made do with the left overs.

most on here are fed up for not winning more play off games or SB's, problem as I see it, is they mis direct there blame, I think it's genetic, most fans didn't know who to blame for the chaos of the 70's and 80's either.

ahh, this has been so frustrating for me, knowing we had a player capable of so much more, yet the powers that be skimped on a position they had just seen win 15 games, we where Air raid revisited, but since the defense sucked it's been in rebuild mode for almost a decade, how insane.

I don't need trophys, what I do need is great offensive football, I liked the Air raid offense, that can get 6 in 2 plays, not that I don't like the running, I do, I simply like the passing more, and back till Jordy's knee blew out I was expecting that brand to continue, Ted let me down, and Guty seemed bound and determined not to change that
What on Earth are you going to repeat ad nauseam, unprovoked, 15-20 times a day after we trade Aaron? Back the the LBers? New topic?

:beer2:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yeah. It was definitely not a terribly acrimonious vibe, but implying or stating that the packers should hurry up and make this happen as a way to do right by Rodgers was definitely a very pointed statement and possibly the point of this media appearance.

I don’t think “villainized” is wrote the right word, but Rodgers definitely wanted to put the moral and emotional onus on the Packers to relent on their demands and finish the deal asap.

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

I just feel both parties failed at communication. When Rodgers sucked and before Gute drafted Love they should have held a lengthy conversation to talk about long term vision. I know I would have. If #12 would have told me at that point he‘s in for the next 4 years I do not draft Love and go all-in, else I do draft Love and trade away Rodgers earlier to get better compensation. Either Rodgers is/was a snake or MLF/Gute/Murphy are incompetent to lead personal. Pick your poison.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

I don't think AR is as egotistical as some suggest. From what I can gather he is the type of person who needs to be needed but isn't very good at conveying his desires to management. Gute and company probably would have welcomed him back but AR didn't feel the love. After being courted by NY he changed his mind about retirement. I don't care how long Gute takes to finish this deal as long as we get as much compensation as we can for this great player. I doubt we'll get as much as we fans had hoped because NY isn't going to give us a king's ransom for a 40 year old QB who probably will play only 2 more years max.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
15 Mar 2023 19:31
AmishMafia wrote:
texas wrote:

Quick summary:

As time goes on and history is now front and center replaying the dismal post-2010 12 year Packers story after it unfolded ............. the Yooper rant is fully justified and well appreciated by those that are not in denial mode. Standing through the playoff loss versus the Niners at Lambeau, watching the playoff loss versus the Buccaneers on TV, standing through the 89er loss versus the Lions last January. Yes, please hose it down and start over......and do NOT retire his number.

And quit caring about Dak and the Cowboys ... just kidding. Oh, I'm picking the LIons to win the North in 2023 :rotf:

JKB
Reactions:

Post by JKB »

Drj820 wrote:
15 Mar 2023 12:44
YoHoChecko wrote:
15 Mar 2023 12:42
Drj820 wrote:
15 Mar 2023 12:40
12 is hurting the Packers trade compensation with this talk

"Do the right thing"
Yeah.

Trade can commence as of 4 pm today. Let's hope now that this is public there's urgency; but it does hurt our negotiating position
We can still hold onto rodgers as long as we want, but it will just get uglier and uglier from this point forward and it will be the packers org looking like the bad guys

Rodgers saying “do the right thing” is the tone he wants out in the ethos
He wants to keep the jets as strong as possible of course. He doesn’t want them to have to pay the “right thing” that would hurt his new team….
I hope we get the right amount, for a 4xmvp who wants his 50 million!
I gag when he says do the right thing.
Great player but cannot stand listening to him!

JKB
Reactions:

Post by JKB »

Scott4Pack wrote:
15 Mar 2023 19:11
BF004 wrote:

AR is very gifted especially when talking about himself.
Politicians could learn from him!
He’s had years of this…..now days to get ready to say exactly what and how he wants the narrative to go.
Not saying it’s bad just saying…

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

If the Jets end up holding onto pick 13, Rodgers gonna make them use it on a WR….

JKB
Reactions:

Post by JKB »

wallyuwl wrote:
15 Mar 2023 18:24
AmishMafia wrote:
texas wrote:

Quick summary:

I think AR has a huge ego and Gute is a horrible GM
He does, not a bad thing. Gute is the GM but Murphy should step away from all personal matters. To be fair, Murphy is the defacto GM. Blame must start there!

JKB
Reactions:

Post by JKB »

salmar80 wrote:
15 Mar 2023 13:29
Acrobat wrote:
15 Mar 2023 13:18
By the way, the notion that the Packers lose any leverage is incorrect. They can continue to hold firm because ultimately, they hold the player the Jets want. No matter what Rodgers says, there is equal pressure for the Jets to make this deal happen.
The Packers have no leverage in ordinary terms, but funnily they do have some because of the Jets essentially promising AR and SB dreams to their fan base. Going back on it and giving them a 2nd hand QB would lead to a mutiny and get everyone fired at the Jets HQ.
My thoughts exactly.
Jets are all in, they bought a house without knowing the price. Buyer beware