Cheese Curds - 2020 - News Around The League

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
20 Jan 2021 19:42
I used to think Rivers was without a doubt a HOF QB. Like it was no question he would be in within 5 years of eligibility. I'm not so sure anymore. During this era I just dont think he was good enough compared to his peers. Brady, both Mannings, Roethlisberger, Rodgers, Brees, and now this next era up all outperformed him with rings, awards, and playoffs consistency.

Its not exactly fair because a lot of his dips in production was his team failing him from a talent and management perspective but thats the way the cookie crumbles.
I have so much trouble with the idea of Eli as a Hall of Fame QB. His two rings should not get him there. He was a mediocre talent for the vast majority of his career. Rivers deserves it more than Eli, by far; but I am resigned to the fact that the current narratives and priorities of people who care about these things will give Eli the edge.

I agree with the post that pointed to a lack of first-team All Pros as a negative for Rivers. All Pro teams mean more than Pro Bowls and are my main measure of HoF worthiness. By that standard, Eli should never sniff that gold jacket.

But it's true; what does it mean to consistently be the 4th or 6th best QB in the league for a long time? Does it mean HoF? I dunno :dunno:

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Jan 2021 10:39
lupedafiasco wrote:
I used to think Rivers was without a doubt a HOF QB. Like it was no question he would be in within 5 years of eligibility. I'm not so sure anymore. During this era I just dont think he was good enough compared to his peers. Brady, both Mannings, Roethlisberger, Rodgers, Brees, and now this next era up all outperformed him with rings, awards, and playoffs consistency.

Its not exactly fair because a lot of his dips in production was his team failing him from a talent and management perspective but thats the way the cookie crumbles.
I have so much trouble with the idea of Eli as a Hall of Fame QB. His two rings should not get him there. He was a mediocre talent for the vast majority of his career. Rivers deserves it more than Eli, by far; but I am resigned to the fact that the current narratives and priorities of people who care about these things will give Eli the edge.

I agree with the post that pointed to a lack of first-team All Pros as a negative for Rivers. All Pro teams mean more than Pro Bowls and are my main measure of HoF worthiness. By that standard, Eli should never sniff that gold jacket.

But it's true; what does it mean to consistently be the 4th or 6th best QB in the league for a long time? Does it mean HoF? I dunno :dunno:
Eli had a brief maybe year and a half when the Talking Heads were arguing whether he had become an Elite QB. Then he fell back to average that is so short of a window it is meaningless. The HOF monitor has him at 83.4 when the average HOF QB is 101.4. Philip Rivers is sitting at 97.6 so he should be in.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Cdragon wrote:
21 Jan 2021 10:54
YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Jan 2021 10:39
lupedafiasco wrote:

Eli had a brief maybe year and a half when the Talking Heads were arguing whether he had become an Elite QB. Then he fell back to average that is so short of a window it is meaningless. The HOF monitor has him at 83.4 when the average HOF QB is 101.4. Philip Rivers is sitting at 97.6 so he should be in.
I wouldn’t put Eli in myself but I just think he will get in with 2 rings deservedly so or not. Jim Plunkett is the only QB to get 2 rings and not be inducted and his stats are garbage combined with his streaky starts. Elis stats aren’t garbage. They aren’t elite but they’re high above average.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Eli and Rivers both had longevity. That seems to be a thing the Hall looks for a lot. Usually results in high volume stats. I agree that Rivers was the better QB, but they are both getting in. Eli has two exclamation points to his otherwise less than stellar resume, but you can't ignore those are two damn big exclamation points.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
21 Jan 2021 11:50
Eli has two exclamation points to his otherwise less than stellar resume, but you can't ignore those are two damn big exclamation points.
I sure can! :aok:

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Might have been the fastest I've ever seen someone clear concussion protocol. Mahomes cleared.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

TheGreenMan wrote:
22 Jan 2021 15:19
Might have been the fastest I've ever seen someone clear concussion protocol. Mahomes cleared.
Davante, twice, was just about as fast

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Texans interviewed QB Josh McCown for its head-coaching vacancy.

It's the first interview for McCown, who was on the team's active roster at the end of the year and, oddly enough, remains under contract with the team through 2021. The Texans clearly don't have an internal direction for its coaching search, but interviewing a current player is unique even for Houston's standards. Jim Caldwell also reportedly had extended talks with the team's front office on Friday.
Attachments
giphy (36).gif
giphy (36).gif (4.51 MiB) Viewed 383 times

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

I think the Texans misunderstood the Rooney rule...

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

APB wrote:
22 Jan 2021 15:52

It's the first interview for McCown, who was on the team's active roster at the end of the year and, oddly enough, remains under contract with the team through 2021. The Texans clearly don't have a direction for its coaching search, but interviewing a current player is unique even for Houston's standards. Jim Caldwell also reportedly had extended talks with the team's front office on Friday.
Fixed it.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Free Watson. Free Watt. Free anyone else because the Texans are a bigger mess than the Jets.
RIP JustJeff

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

APB wrote:
22 Jan 2021 15:52

It's the first interview for McCown, who was on the team's active roster at the end of the year and, oddly enough, remains under contract with the team through 2021. The Texans clearly don't have an internal direction for its coaching search, but interviewing a current player is unique even for Houston's standards. Jim Caldwell also reportedly had extended talks with the team's front office on Friday.
Just pulled this from a Texans forum
Josh McCown, huh? Well, the following clip pretty much sums up what I'd like to say to the Texans "brain trust" right now...

:rotf:
RIP JustJeff

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Of the two obvious qualities McCown exhibits, which do you think appeals to the Texans the most?

1. Devout, outspoken Christian
2. Zero experience for the job at hand
:lol: :lol: :rotf:
RIP JustJeff

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

TheGreenMan wrote:
22 Jan 2021 18:25
Of the two obvious qualities McCown exhibits, which do you think appeals to the Texans the most?

1. Devout, outspoken Christian
2. Zero experience for the job at hand
:lol: :lol: :rotf:
3. Looks like Dolph Lundgren

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Looks like Stafford has asked for a trade and the Lions are going to try to move him.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Cdragon wrote:
23 Jan 2021 18:18
Looks like Stafford has asked for a trade and the Lions are going to try to move him.
There was serious rumor about this in November/early December. I think it's the right move for both.

Honestly the Bears would be a good fit but the Lions wouldn't do that deal. But if I'm the Patriots I would consider it. If I'm the Broncos would consider it. Panthers, Steelers, Rams, 49ers and Colts too.

There are definitely teams of which this makes sense for a 3 year run.
Last edited by go pak go on 23 Jan 2021 19:52, edited 1 time in total.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I’d put the 49ers at the top of the list of teams I’d least like to get him.

They’ll be near the top of the draft board this year, get a bunch of injured players back, and then if they add Stafford? Geebus, they’d be tough to beat.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Crossing my fingers that Stafford goes to an AFC team (other than the Patriots)
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
23 Jan 2021 19:29
Cdragon wrote:
23 Jan 2021 18:18
There was serious rumor about this in November/early December. I think it's the right move for both.

Honestly the Bears would be a good fit but the Lions wouldn't do that deal. But if I'm the Patriots I would consider it. If I'm the Broncos would consider it. Panthers, Steelers, Rams, 49ers and Colts too.

There are definitely teams of which this makes sense for a 3 year run.
I think itll be the Colts. Theyve proven to be aggressive with trades in the past. Stafford can probably had for a 3rd. Hes 32 and has a 33 mil cap hit next year. Hes not gonna go for anything crazy with that cap hit. Theyve got a ton of cap space.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

APB wrote:
23 Jan 2021 19:51
I’d put the 49ers at the top of the list of teams I’d least like to get him.
I'm pretty sure that's where he's going, so buckle up. But they'll have to give up significant draft capital to do it.
It will take Stafford 1-2 yrs to fully assimilate and by then the cap monster will have devoured some of the talent on that team.
I read the 9ers/Lions had already had discussions and that the incoming coaching candidates were informed of those talks during the interview process.
IT. IS. TIME