General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
05 Jan 2021 08:45
I also think it is absolutely true that Rodgers is squeezing every inch of talent out of these guys. Put Boyle in or Love and I think their warts would show through a lot more clearly. Look, it's not an overly talented collection of WR's. That narrative still exists and is true. What wasn't true is the fact that the offense wouldn't work with what they had... because it did. What would better WR's have done? Probably made the offense even better, but we will never know that for sure. Even drafting a WR in the 1st-round next year, seeing an improvement in the offense (wouldn't that be fun), won't point back to this year and change anything. It just is what it is. We're good. Period.
Best post of the morning.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
05 Jan 2021 08:41
Yoop wrote:
05 Jan 2021 08:38
by yards he is, and he's what???? 35 for 68, your right thats only a 47% drop rate
By receptions, he's 5th. And yes, he has been extremely inefficient and has dropped some BIG passes, but receptions vs targets is not drop rate.
sure some could be errant throws, the point is he was targeted, but only caught 50% of those targeted throws.

I admit Rodgers has targeted Adams on most drop backs, but no one has demanded his attention more, cept Tonyan, and Rodgers has given MVS and Lazard plenty of opertunity this season to demand more, for whatever reason they don't rise up to the occasion, Lazard obviously with some injury's which might hamper his ability to separate or get clean off the los.

Obviously Rodgers is trying to get the ball to MVS, he had 5 targets this week, and he'd probably see more if not for the drops, he has to look the ball in, no more body catches, those seem to be the ones he drops.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

It's really too bad because there is absolutely a place for a guy like MVS on a roster. I mean he is everything you want in a #3. He is a willing blocker. He fights for his teammates. He gives it his all each play. He is super fast. He is adequate as a route runner and has shown improvement on finding holes in zones. He at times makes amazing catches. He was a cheap pickup.

Like there is SO MUCH to be excited about with him.

Except he just drops balls he should not drop. He has absolutely done enough to keep in 2021. It will be interesting what happens in 2022 for him.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
05 Jan 2021 08:50
Again. All of these ulterior motive obvious things you know Rodgers is doing would be very frustrating if actually true.
frustrating???? what would be frustrating is if we had kept McCarthy on for another season, Rodgers whether you like it or not, made sure that would not happen, you owe Rodgers BIG time for not taking those check downs and your just to stubborn to admit it :lol:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
05 Jan 2021 09:06
It's really too bad because there is absolutely a place for a guy like MVS on a roster. I mean he is everything you want in a #3. He is a willing blocker. He fights for his teammates. He gives it his all each play. He is super fast. He is adequate as a route runner and has shown improvement on finding holes in zones. He at times makes amazing catches. He was a cheap pickup.

Except he just drops balls he should not drop. He has absolutely done enough to keep in 2021. It will be interesting what happens in 2022 for him.
ehhhhh, MVS has the playoffs to make his case, he's so close, I'am convinced he'll get another season unless he really hurts us.

next year we'll have OTA's and TC, so as usual the best 5 or 6 will make the active roster, only Adams is a sure thing.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
05 Jan 2021 09:18
go pak go wrote:
05 Jan 2021 09:06

ehhhhh, MVS has the playoffs to make his case, he's so close, I'am convinced he'll get another season unless he really hurts us.

next year we'll have OTA's and TC, so as usual the best 5 or 6 will make the active roster, only Adams is a sure thing.
I just hope it's not something really stupid, like we read in August that MVS was disappointed in all his drops so went to the eye doctor and it turns out he needs contacts.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
05 Jan 2021 09:14
go pak go wrote:
Again. All of these ulterior motive obvious things you know Rodgers is doing would be very frustrating if actually true.
frustrating???? what would be frustrating is if we had kept McCarthy on for another season, Rodgers whether you like it or not, made sure that would not happen, you owe Rodgers BIG time for not taking those check downs and your just to stubborn to admit it :lol:
Thank you Rodgers for discreetly tanking. Because of you we got rid of MM and got MLF, Jaire Alexander, Rashan Gary AND Darnell Savage. :rotf: ;)

You little future seeker you.
Yoop wrote:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Is it wrong of me to think, even with Deguara and Lovett coming back, that we might actually have something in this Dominique Dafney guy?

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
05 Jan 2021 09:37
Is it wrong of me to think, even with Deguara and Lovett coming back, that we might actually have something in this Dominique Dafney guy?
MLF seems to really like him, at least! Like genuinely.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
No it is not wrong. I really don't see much in Lovett but I do see something in Dafney as receiving threat. His blocking does need to improve however.

I think it makes sense for us moving forward to have two FB types with a Dafney and Deguara. I like what we have there. I do think we want to look at a big and mean TE though on Day 3 of the draft to replace Lewis (do we still have that Georgia kid?). Lewis no longer being with us is going to have a huge void. And honestly...if Mercedes wants to come back for ANOTHER season....I wouldn't be opposed.

But if I were him, I am retiring if I get a ring.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
05 Jan 2021 09:36
Yoop wrote:
05 Jan 2021 09:14
go pak go wrote:
Thank you Rodgers for discreetly tanking. Because of you we got rid of MM and got MLF, Jaire Alexander, Rashan Gary AND Darnell Savage. :rotf: ;)

You little future seeker you.
see that wasn't as painful to say as you thought it would be, and discreetly tanking a play or two was the obvious solution :aok:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
05 Jan 2021 09:41
NCF wrote:
MLF seems to really like him, at least! Like genuinely.
secret weapon :lol:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
05 Jan 2021 09:45
NCF wrote:
No it is not wrong. I really don't see much in Lovett but I do see something in Dafney as receiving threat. His blocking does need to improve however.

I think it makes sense for us moving forward to have two FB types with a Dafney and Deguara. I like what we have there. I do think we want to look at a big and mean TE though on Day 3 of the draft to replace Lewis (do we still have that Georgia kid?). Lewis no longer being with us is going to have a huge void. And honestly...if Mercedes wants to come back for ANOTHER season....I wouldn't be opposed.

Agreed; I have a big-bodied TE on my list of potential Day 3 draft needs. But yes, we do still have Nauta, the UGA guy on the PS. The main thing is whether Tonyan or anyone else in that position group will embrace the leadership and technician and wisdom-imparting role without Lewis there. Everyone's a bit green, but Tonyan's been around enough and has a mentality that I think translates well. We'll see.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
05 Jan 2021 09:58
go pak go wrote:
NCF wrote:

Agreed; I have a big-bodied TE on my list of potential Day 3 draft needs. But yes, we do still have Nauta, the UGA guy on the PS. The main thing is whether Tonyan or anyone else in that position group will embrace the leadership and technician and wisdom-imparting role without Lewis there. Everyone's a bit green, but Tonyan's been around enough and has a mentality that I think translates well. We'll see.
Next question... does Sternberger really fit with anything we will want to do going forward? I figured he was still dealing with the after affects of the concussion, but from reports I just read, he was a 100% healthy scratch against Chicago. I'm not saying cut him or anything, but I don't see a role or path to playing time for the rest of this year and even into next year barring injury.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
05 Jan 2021 10:03
YoHoChecko wrote:
05 Jan 2021 09:58
go pak go wrote:

Next question... does Sternberger really fit with anything we will want to do going forward? I figured he was still dealing with the after affects of the concussion, but from reports I just read, he was a 100% healthy scratch against Chicago. I'm not saying cut him or anything, but I don't see a role or path to playing time for the rest of this year and even into next year barring injury.
I think he has a role if he lives up to a role. He needs to improve his blocking to get on the field but he is a receiving threat and he is a threat once he gets the ball in his hands. Additionally, it is nice to have a TE with a similar build and makeup to Tonyan. Having depth is not a bad thing.

We talk constantly on the importance of experience in this system and we also talk constantly on how long it takes TEs to get used to the league. I think the question is valid to ask about Sternberger, but I also think Tonyan proved to all of us this year how pointless it is to project certain TEs on our roster of not having a "fit" after what we predicted for Tonyan in 2020 and what actually happened for Tonyan in 2020.
Yoop wrote:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

go pak go wrote:
05 Jan 2021 10:15
I think he has a role if he lives up to a role. He needs to improve his blocking to get on the field but he is a receiving threat and he is a threat once he gets the ball in his hands. Additionally, it is nice to have a TE with a similar build and makeup to Tonyan. Having depth is not a bad thing.

We talk constantly on the importance of experience in this system and we also talk constantly on how long it takes TEs to get used to the league. I think the question is valid to ask about Sternberger, but I also think Tonyan proved to all of us this year how pointless it is to project certain TEs on our roster of not having a "fit" after what we predicted for Tonyan in 2020 and what actually happened for Tonyan in 2020.
You're kind of hedging your bet there, a bit. I kind of agree (and maybe I am misunderstanding you) that based on what Tonyan became, Sternberger's clearest role is back-up to Tonyan. Yes, you can do some things with both of them on the field, but I think you also kind of want that Marcedes Lewis type on the field in a lot of those two TE situations, so again, what would his role be other than back-up? Maybe I am oversimplifying it, a bit, too, but I am looking at Sternberger as a guy that maybe sees the field for 5 snaps a game next. That is far below what I would have expected from him even 4 months ago. Has more to do with Tonyan than Sternberger, himself, though.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
05 Jan 2021 10:20
You're kind of hedging your bet there, a bit. I kind of agree (and maybe I am misunderstanding you) that based on what Tonyan became, Sternberger's clearest role is back-up to Tonyan. Yes, you can do some things with both of them on the field, but I think you also kind of want that Marcedes Lewis type on the field in a lot of those two TE situations, so again, what would his role be other than back-up? Maybe I am oversimplifying it, a bit, too, but I am looking at Sternberger as a guy that maybe sees the field for 5 snaps a game next. That is far below what I would have expected from him even 4 months ago. Has more to do with Tonyan than Sternberger, himself, though.
Yeah, I view Tonyan and Sterny as similar types with similar roles and since Tonyan ran away with the role, Sternberger is now his backup. The other TEs will have more prominent roles. But having a capable backup is also good.

In all my preseason stuff, though, I basically had "Tonyan/Sternberger" written in, not sure if one or the other would win the role or if they would essentially share it. Luckily for my dynasty team, Tonyan took it outright.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
09 Dec 2020 10:05
George Seifert had 28 regular season wins and 4 playoff wins.
Steve Mariucci had 25 regular season wins and 2 playoff wins.
Jim Harbaugh had 24 regular season wins and 3 playoff wins.
Barry Switzer had 24 regular season wins and 4 playoff wins.
Jim Caldwell had 24 regular season wins and 2 playoff wins.
Sean McVay had 24 regular season wins and 2 playoff wins.
Mike Martz had 24 regular season wins and 2 playoff wins.

I believe that is a comprehensive list of all coaches to win 24+ games in their first 2 seasons, in NFL history.
LaFleur is now 2nd all times with 26 regular season wins in his first 2 seasons. He can't catch George Seifert for total wins, but he can tie for most playoff wins!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I remember watching the Brewers in the NLCS and thinking to myself, I feel pretty strongly that the next Wisconsin sports championship will be delivered by either the Brewers or the Bucks. The Packers seemed to be in a very distant 3rd-place at that time. How quickly things change.

Read More. Post Less.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Really interesting athleticism and versatility -- poor man's Deguara?
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto