Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I didn't believe Brady's last retirement announcement, and tbh, I'm not 100% sure I do now.

He is showing some clear physical decline/aging, but not as badly as Peyton Manning's last season, in which he still won a SuperBowl. And Brady is driven by wanting one more ring every year.

There are some things that make me think he might mean it this time (first losing season, physical drop-off in play, need to repair family life), but I feel like all it takes to talk him out of it is another turn-key offense, and there are a few out there that could really suit him (OAK, SF, MIA).
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I don’t get people hating him or success. I’m a TB12 fan.

To quote the blowhard, Colin Cowberd, “You’re only hated if you matter, the sincerest form of flattery”

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I honestly don’t think Brady is motivated by family matters because I don’t think he likes his family.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Drj820 wrote:
01 Feb 2023 18:34
I honestly don’t think Brady is motivated by family matters because I don’t think he likes his family.
Never mind that, he doesn't even have one. :mrgreen:

But yeah I am still like 60% that he returns for a turn-key team like SF, OAK, or MIA.
—Magneto

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BF004 wrote:
01 Feb 2023 18:23
To quote the blowhard, Colin Cowberd, “You’re only hated if you matter, the sincerest form of flattery”
That's what Cowherd says to himself over and over so he can sleep at night.

...although it's probably true in Brady's case.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Money still likes the Bills a lot.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Derek Carr savage in his interview after the QB passing.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Here's a great article from Bill Parcells - talking about the value of hidden yardage and how he came to view it as a real difference maker

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/an ... ose-games/

Early in my coaching career, I learned a lesson, passed down from Hall of Fame coach Sid Gillman, that yardage differential usually equates to points. I call it “hidden yardage.”

The premise is that 100 yards of field position should equate to seven points. The more I thought about it, the more I asked myself, “If this yardage is so important, where is it coming from? Let’s take the entire scope of the yardage and evaluate it.” So, I did.
IT. IS. TIME

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

BSA wrote:
04 Feb 2023 11:18
Here's a great article from Bill Parcells - talking about the value of hidden yardage and how he came to view it as a real difference maker

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/an ... ose-games/

Early in my coaching career, I learned a lesson, passed down from Hall of Fame coach Sid Gillman, that yardage differential usually equates to points. I call it “hidden yardage.”

The premise is that 100 yards of field position should equate to seven points. The more I thought about it, the more I asked myself, “If this yardage is so important, where is it coming from? Let’s take the entire scope of the yardage and evaluate it.” So, I did.
That’s a great article. Would give many fans an appreciation about field position and the importance of ST and game-changing plays. That said, maybe the “100 yards = 7 points” wouldn’t have worked as well for the 2022 Packers. We were horrible in the Red Zone this year. But as a practical idea, yes, this should affect your coaching decisions.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I can't wait to hear what went down in LV over the decision to bench and move on from Carr. The story of how McDaniels ran Cutler outta town is pretty incredible. McDaniels probably learned not to do be as heavy-handed as he was in Denver, but I could still see this being pretty juicy, sure sounds like there's more to it than we might knowing (going by this Tweet).
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Have a feeling Carr and Cutler became best friends the last month or so. :lol:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Would you be surprised to learn that Mike McCarthy is now in the Top-10 in all-time postseason victories?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N ... ns_leaders

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
06 Feb 2023 11:00
Would you be surprised to learn that Mike McCarthy is now in the Top-10 in all-time postseason victories?

ya, well, he only one the big one once, so he sucks :rotf:

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

NCF wrote:
06 Feb 2023 11:00

No more surprising than Mac being in the top 10 in all-time playoff losses.

I was a bit surprised to see he has won just 1 playoff game in his last 5 seasons as a head coach and his 6-8 playoff record over the past 12 seasons, however.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

It is very hard to have a winning record in the playoffs. Two wins either forces you to make the conference title game every year or the SB if you have a bye.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

go pak go wrote:
06 Feb 2023 13:01
It is very hard to have a winning record in the playoffs. Two wins either forces you to make the conference title game every year or the SB if you have a bye.
Andy Reid has at least two postseason wins in each of the last four seasons. That is really damn impressive.

Read More. Post Less.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Labrev wrote:
05 Feb 2023 14:57
Class act by Carr.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Just saw a note that Miami QB Tua Tagovailoa is changing agents...and while players change all the time- this one caught my eye

His now former agent was Leigh Steinberg and Leigh has been heavily involved in concussion research since the 1980s. Leigh was pushing for better helmets, a mandatory time off for concussed players and a neurologist on the sidelines for decades.

I am guessing he advised Tua to re-consider his profession - and that led to a change in representation.
IT. IS. TIME

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Anyone have DVOA from this year and the last 20? Just the super bowl teams.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
06 Feb 2023 13:18
go pak go wrote:
06 Feb 2023 13:01
Andy Reid has at least two postseason wins in each of the last four seasons. That is really damn impressive.
and he does that with a touch better then average defense, maybe top 10 OL, a above average RB, a top 5 receiver and TE usually a good #2, and one of the best QB's in the league, you know the way we use to do it :)

Reid is a great coach, very organized, gets players to buy in because his success demands respect, when Andy talks you could hear a mouse fart :rotf: