Green Bay Packers News 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

On paper I have high hopes for Colby Wooden and Karl Brooks on our backup D-Line depth chart. Let's see what happens on the field first before getting too excited. Of course Van Ness at edge is hopeful as well. Not sure about the rest of the back-ups on defense though. Enagbare, Nixon and Valentine must shine as well.

GO PACKERS!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
08 Sep 2023 07:35
On paper I have high hopes for Colby Wooden and Karl Brooks on our backup D-Line depth chart. Let's see what happens on the field first before getting too excited. Of course Van Ness at edge is hopeful as well. Not sure about the rest of the back-ups on defense though. Enagbare, Nixon and Valentine must shine as well.

GO PACKERS!
Agreed. I’m anxiously awaiting the first time they have Gary and Pres on the outside and put LVN inside to pass rush.

BTW, as much as I like Hutchinson (#97) in Detroit, I have higher hopes for LVN, at least beyond this season.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
10 Sep 2023 09:23
why wouldn't Irsay ask for WAtson? :idn: that to me is a more then reasonable demand, Taylor was on pace for another 1800 yrd season after just 11 games, the year prior he eclipsed the 2K mark, as a rookie he had over 1000 rushing alone.

Watson was fantastic once healthy and after he and Rodgers built some chemistry, but production is the bottom line and Taylor has delivered that for 3 straight years, whats delusional is that Irsay is even contemplating trading Taylor, thats what doesn't make sense to me. :thwap:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Mike, the issue is having 3 years of a controlled contract on a rising player who is considered a building block in the offense versus having to pay a market-setting deal for a position that is declining in contract value relative to other positions and has a shorter shelf life... not just a player production comparison.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
10 Sep 2023 11:48
Mike, the issue is having 3 years of a controlled contract on a rising player who is considered a building block in the offense versus having to pay a market-setting deal for a position that is declining in contract value relative to other positions and has a shorter shelf life... not just a player production comparison.
Taylor is not even close to being a used up RB though Yoho, and even you addmited Watson has to prove he's not injury prone.

I agree RB tend to have a shorter shelf live, but I always consider length of contract with these deals and how many touches a players has already, Taylor avergaes 250 touches a season or about 15 touches a game, about the same amount we feed Jones.

I admit to having no knowledge of Taylors contract demands, just that his production is worth holding onto.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
10 Sep 2023 12:44
Taylor is not even close to being a used up RB though Yoho, and even you addmited Watson has to prove he's not injury prone.

I agree RB tend to have a shorter shelf live, but I always consider length of contract with these deals and how many touches a players has already, Taylor avergaes 250 touches a season or about 15 touches a game, about the same amount we feed Jones.

I admit to having no knowledge of Taylors contract demands, just that his production is worth holding onto.
I didn't at all say he's used up. Just that he -plays a position that expires more quickly and has lower contractual value and is about to sign a big new deal rather than be under salary control for 3 more seasons.

Obviously, Taylor is a good enough player that the Packers inquired. But you don't trade away inexpensive building blocks for expensive RBs. That's what makes it crazy, which is what you asked.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

If I'm the GM I hang up on the Colts.

You don't trade a rookie starting WR with enormous upside for a veteran RB who is a contract malcontent.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
10 Sep 2023 13:06
Yoop wrote:
10 Sep 2023 12:44

I didn't at all say he's used up. Just that he -plays a position that expires more quickly and has lower contractual value and is about to sign a big new deal rather than be under salary control for 3 more seasons.

Obviously, Taylor is a good enough player that the Packers inquired. But you don't trade away inexpensive building blocks for expensive RBs. That's what makes it crazy, which is what you asked.
Got cha, I don't think Indy wants to part ways in the first place, so there going to want max compensation, and Taylors production warrants a first, but teams will balk because the markets dropped on RB's and Taylor wants old RB money, so I also doubt any team will fork that over.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
10 Sep 2023 14:32
Got cha, I don't think Indy wants to part ways in the first place, so there going to want max compensation, and Taylors production warrants a first, but teams will balk because the markets dropped on RB's and Taylor wants old RB money, so I also doubt any team will fork that over.
Agree actually. What they want is for him to see the market isn't setting up for him and settle for a lower deal than he's apparently been wanting. No one wants to trade a key asset.

And while the team is hanging in there in week one, their RB rushing game has been abysmal. So he'd be a welcome addition

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Week 2 matchup between Jordan Love and Desmond Ridder likely to be (pending Monday night) your #1 and #2 nfl qb rating leaders.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
10 Sep 2023 22:04
Week 2 matchup between Jordan Love and Desmond Ridder likely to be (pending Monday night) your #1 and #2 nfl qb rating leaders.
That is as hilarious as it is delightful

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

(Wooden also had multiple pressures)

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

YoHoChecko wrote:
10 Sep 2023 22:09
BF004 wrote:
I'm hearing that Ridder is/was nothing but checkdowns keeping the ball moving with the run game. Seems like a similar sort of opponent/challenge this week, though bigger bodies out there trying to catch the ball (Pitts and London--though London had nothing week one)

The Falcons' OL is better than the Bears and I'd say Algier is better than Roschon (tough to know though) and Bijan is better than Herbert. So it's like the same game up a difficulty level perhaps.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
11 Sep 2023 11:17
YoHoChecko wrote:
10 Sep 2023 22:09
BF004 wrote:
I'm hearing that Ridder is/was nothing but checkdowns keeping the ball moving with the run game. Seems like a similar sort of opponent/challenge this week, though bigger bodies out there trying to catch the ball (Pitts and London--though London had nothing week one)

The Falcons' OL is better than the Bears and I'd say Algier is better than Roschon (tough to know though) and Bijan is better than Herbert. So it's like the same game up a difficulty level perhaps.

Yeah, I didn’t say he was anything good, but seems to know how that qb rating formula works. :lol:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
11 Sep 2023 11:25
Yeah, I didn’t say he was anything good, but seems to know how that qb rating formula works.
Oh no I was right there with you. My post wasn't refuting anything, just new info I heard.

The rating formula I think maxes out at 80% completion percentage if I recall correctly. It also accounts for completion percentage AND yards per attempt, which are codependent variables, so in a sense counts completion percentage more than once. Ridder maxed out completion percentage.

It also has a segment for INT%, so zero INTs is another maxed out section.

Having a high rating with a low completion percentage (which is what Love did) is crazy because it means the INT% is zero and the TD% and yards per attempt were high (rating maxes out at 12 yards per attempt, but anything over ~7.5 is going to push you up)

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Atlanta is a cupcake team and their crowd is a joke. I am content to sit Watson and get guys like Heath and Wicks more experience before we move onto more competitive opponents. Then again, I did put some money on Watson this season so let's not drag this out too long. :lol:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I'm not comfortable calling any team a cupcake team for us yet--still so early in the season and a lot to learn and prove for all sides.

But I do suspect they'll be cautious with injured players, as they tend to be.

Personally, though, I want to see these guys back on the field as soon as they're ready.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Labrev wrote:
11 Sep 2023 15:01
Atlanta is a cupcake team and their crowd is a joke. I am content to sit Watson and get guys like Heath and Wicks more experience before we move onto more competitive opponents. Then again, I did put some money on Watson this season so let's not drag this out too long. :lol:
Funny thing to say about an undefeated team
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23