Rodgers Watch 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Rodgers 2023

Poll ended at 03 Jun 2023 21:19

Retired
7%
Traded
66%
Packer
27%

Total votes: 44

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Premiere roster management and handling of the wide receiver position amirite
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

While I do give credit to Gutey for the things he's done well, fact is it hasn't resulted in SB wins. While he's found some fantastic value in acquiring guys like Rasul, the Smiths, Campbell and Nixon, his drafting record isn't horrible but not good enough.

Gutey has earned a spot on the hot seat, and his fate is tied to how Jordan Love looks this season. If he has managed to draft the 3rd consecutive great QB, I can forgive a lot. If Love sucks, Gutey needs to go. Simple as that.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

salmar80 wrote:
16 Mar 2023 17:26
While I do give credit to Gutey for the things he's done well, fact is it hasn't resulted in SB wins. While he's found some fantastic value in acquiring guys like Rasul, the Smiths, Campbell and Nixon, his drafting record isn't horrible but not good enough.

Gutey has earned a spot on the hot seat, and his fate is tied to how Jordan Love looks this season. If he has managed to draft the 3rd consecutive great QB, I can forgive a lot. If Love sucks, Gutey needs to go. Simple as that.
By now, there might be as much pressure to win on Guty as any other GM. There certainly needs to be improvement over a 8-9 non-playoff season. But even if we do get to the playoffs, an early exit might spell doom, even in a “reset” year.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I’m not even hating on poor communication gutey, I’m just saying that now we get to see. You get credit for winning relative to expectations. When you have a 2x MVP for half of your tenure, your expectation is Super Bowl. He has not done that. I don’t care what individual players he’s found. It takes 22. It takes a team.

Rodgers gone and Super Bowl is no longer expectations. Gute failed in rodgers tenure. He went all in to win a ring and failed at that objective.

Now let’s see what happens in phase 2.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Back to back years of a mvp qb and in those years talented you provided in the first 3 rounds was

Back up qb
Back up Rb
Practice squad FB TE

CB
Centre not sure how much he played
One of the worst wrs of all time.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Drj820 wrote:
16 Mar 2023 17:29
I’m not even hating on poor communication gutey, I’m just saying that now we get to see. You get credit for winning relative to expectations. When you have a 2x MVP for half of your tenure, your expectation is Super Bowl. He has not done that. I don’t care what individual players he’s found. It takes 22. It takes a team.

Rodgers gone and Super Bowl is no longer expectations. Gute failed in rodgers tenure. He went all in to win a ring and failed at that objective.

It's sorta ironic that, on paper, Gutey has assembled a strong enough team that Love has no excuse. I don't expect perfection from him, but I do think we should compete for the playoffs. It's not a roster without holes (TE is barren and WR thin), and there's no resources to go all-in, but obviously it's early. It's not like Love marches onto a roster in full teardown and re-build mode.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

It's not Gutey's fault that Adams dropped a pass in the championship game! Man I'm pissed that he traded him away.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I think it is a 2 year process. By the end of 2024, we will know.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

bud fox wrote:
16 Mar 2023 17:38
Back to back years of a mvp qb and in those years talented you provided in the first 3 rounds was

Back up qb
Back up Rb
Practice squad FB TE

CB
So big question I have for cherry picked criticism like this. Is how did we go from the dark years of ‘17 and ‘18 to basically a very legit SB contender 3 years in a row?

Matt LaFleur has coached a player to MVP 2 of his 4 years as a HC.

Gutenkunst has GM’ed a team to 3 straight 13 win seasons and a pair of NFC Championship games, legit SB contenders 3 years.

So what changed from ‘17-18 forward?

If the coaches suck and the GM has failed everyone, what changed?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

simply adding another top receiver to couple with Adams in 19 or 20 imho could have provided another Lombardi, the defense was was good enough so all we'd have needed was for ST not to beat us again like in 2015, Gary provided nothing during that span, DK or Simmons would have, seriously it wasn't enough having just Adams and Jones for a DC to scheme against, and the support Group of the less experienced Lazard and Scantling etc. weren't as good as they where last season, didn't have as good of chemistry with Rodgers.

and I don't put a lot of stock in Rodgers saying yesterday that Lazard is a great receiver either, he is what he is, a lanky and slow footed Pedestrian type receiver who blocks better then he runs routes, which is fine, but it seems some here want to make him out as more then that.

Lupe your comments hit on issues I didn't even think off, well said.

I think Gute turned me off in a early presser and it concerned his draft choices, and his choice of sitting pat and actually trading up for Love just floored me, that draft was loaded with WR talent that could have made a huge difference in the seasons outcome, if ya can move up for Savage or even Love he could have moved up for one of them, no way he gets a pass from me over that.

when Rodgers spoke about Transparency my ears perked up, just what the heck transpired during that off season of 2018, I can't come up with any reason to extend Rodgers with a mega 120 mil. bucks then, other then to appease him, people are upset about this last one, but that one bothered me more, whats Guty do, he drafts 3 mid round very raw receivers. this drafting defense with all the high picks I think has bothered me the most.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
16 Mar 2023 17:48
I think it is a 2 year process. By the end of 2024, we will know.
I am happy to give him two more years with his new qb. My point is just that the jury is def still out.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

BF004 wrote:
bud fox wrote:

Back up qb
Back up Rb
Practice squad FB TE

CB
So big question I have for cherry picked criticism like this. Is how did we go from the dark years of ‘17 and ‘18 to basically a very legit SB contender 3 years in a row?

Gutenkunst has GM’ed a team to 3 straight 13 win seasons and a pair of NFC Championship games, legit SB contenders 3 years.

Rodgers injured but some bad teams then.
McCarthy sacked.
Both off and Def were bad.
19 new coach and more investment.
It was geared up to go into better years and then the gm hits reset button

Just needed some weapons.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

BF004 wrote:
bud fox wrote:

Back up qb
Back up Rb
Practice squad FB TE

CB

Who here has said Lafleur didn’t do a nice job of getting rodgers rights for a while?

The answer to your question is obviously the coach. Now we get to see what he can do without the HOF qb too. But the answer to your question is def coach.

As for those tough years, we blame major holes in the roster, rodgers injuries, and stale McCarthy schemes and coaching.

The team still had some great players. Those same players that made the last 3 years so good. Gute emjoyed Kenny Clark, Aaron Jones, Rodgers, Bakh. The staples.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

bud fox wrote:
16 Mar 2023 17:58
BF004 wrote:
bud fox wrote:

Back up qb
Back up Rb
Practice squad FB TE

CB

McCarthy sacked.

That's a pretty light brush stroke on "investment". He f*ckin nailed that investment. You have to give Gute credit for that.

Like you said. Our teams were bad 2015 - 2018. They weren't bad 2019 - 2021. You don't go from bad to three straight years of 13 wins just because a QB isn't injured 40% of the time.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Drj820 wrote:

If the only measure of success is winning the Super Bowl more than once a decade, then almost every GM has failed. Yeah, including Guty.

If you look at the big picture, Guty has had an amazing career. Hasn’t won enough Super Bowls, for sure. But the Packers have a level of success that is almost unmatched during his tenure.

2023 may well be the real indicator of the expectations that the Packers place on their GM. Need to show some level of rebound this year.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
16 Mar 2023 18:36
Drj820 wrote:

If the only measure of success is winning the Super Bowl more than once a decade, then almost every GM has failed. Yeah, including Guty.

If you look at the big picture, Guty has had an amazing career. Hasn’t won enough Super Bowls, for sure. But the Packers have a level of success that is almost unmatched during his tenure.

2023 may well be the real indicator of the expectations that the Packers place on their GM. Need to show some level of rebound this year.
How many GMs have multiple winners of the MVP award at QB?

That’s who Gute should be compared to.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Drj820 wrote:
16 Mar 2023 18:01
BF004 wrote:
bud fox wrote:

Back up qb
Back up Rb
Practice squad FB TE

CB

Who here has said Lafleur didn’t do a nice job of getting rodgers rights for a while?

The answer to your question is obviously the coach. Now we get to see what he can do without the HOF qb too. But the answer to your question is def coach.

As for those tough years, we blame major holes in the roster, rodgers injuries, and stale McCarthy schemes and coaching.

The team still had some great players. Those same players that made the last 3 years so good. Gute emjoyed Kenny Clark, Aaron Jones, Rodgers, Bakh. The staples.
I, for one, actually think that we can do a smidgen better in 2023 with Love than our 2022 with Rodgers. I feel like the kid is gonna surprise some folks.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

go pak go wrote:
16 Mar 2023 18:24
bud fox wrote:
16 Mar 2023 17:58
BF004 wrote:

McCarthy sacked.

That's a pretty light brush stroke on "investment". He f*ckin nailed that investment. You have to give Gute credit for that.

Like you said. Our teams were bad 2015 - 2018. They weren't bad 2019 - 2021. You don't go from bad to three straight years of 13 wins just because a QB isn't injured 40% of the time.
He did well with FA and even we got some good talent in drafts.

However the 20 and 21 draft are nearly unforgivable.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

What does the safety position look like going into 2023? What about the TE group? Receiver? How about edge rusher?

Love is not walking into a dumpster fire, but he’s far from walking into a complete roster like Rodgers walked into.

Part of this is Guteys direct fault for screwing with the cap when he was so indecisive about whether to look forward or backward

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
16 Mar 2023 18:46
What does the safety position look like going into 2023? What about the TE group? Receiver? How about edge rusher?

Love is not walking into a dumpster fire, but he’s far from walking into a complete roster like Rodgers walked into.

Part of this is Guteys direct fault for screwing with the cap when he was so indecisive about whether to look forward or backward
We literally haven't had an offseason yet and you're asking us to evaluate the roster.

2018:
Gutey drafts Jaire Alexander. He makes the Pro Bowl in his 3rd and 5th pro years

2019:
Gutey signs Za'Darius Smith who had never been to a Pro Bowl. He makes the Pro Bowl in 2019 and 2020
Gutey drafts Elkton Jenkins, who makes the Pro Bowl in his 2nd and 4th seasons
Gutey drafts Rashan Gary, who looks like a promising player to make a Pro Bowl in his career and was a 2021 pro bowl alternate

2021:
Gutey signs DeVondre Campbell, who has never made a Pro Bowl. He is All Pro his first season with the team.
Gutey signs Rasul Douglas, who had never been to a Pro Bowl. He is a Pro Bowl alternate in his first year with the team

2022:
Gutey signs Keisean Nixon, who had never been to a Pro Bowl. He is All Pro his first year with the team.
Gutey drafts Christian Watson, OROY runner up and quite possibly That Dude

Add in solid role players like Preston Smith, Adrian Amos, MVS, AJ Dillon...

Like I'm sorry but the number of elite and semi-elite players on our roster has skyrocketed under Gutey. I get it; no Super Bowl. But as mentioned, the team, WITH RODGERS, was a losing team before he got there, then he hired a head coach and brought in his free agents and draft picks and they went 39-10 and made 2 conference championship games over the next three seasons.

This team has been massively successful. You have to look at who was added to the team. If you compile lists of mistakes, every General Manager has a book-length list. You're working percentages. The number of HIGH quality hits Gutenkunst has is outstanding. That so many of you can only focus on the negative is, honestly, breathtaking. We've been blessed by success and y'all can't even spot how good we have it.

Is he perfect? Absolutely not. But I'd give him about a 7 out of 10