Rodgers Watch 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Rodgers 2023

Poll ended at 03 Jun 2023 21:19

Retired
7%
Traded
66%
Packer
27%

Total votes: 44

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

[mention]YoHoChecko[/mention] I would say you are a bit over the top, BUT you are on the right track, especially with your 7/10. The addition of talent from 2018- present has been pretty good.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

How about not being able to find a LS, holder, punter, or returner all in the same season?
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
16 Mar 2023 20:09
Drj820 wrote:
16 Mar 2023 18:46
What does the safety position look like going into 2023? What about the TE group? Receiver? How about edge rusher?

Love is not walking into a dumpster fire, but he’s far from walking into a complete roster like Rodgers walked into.

Part of this is Guteys direct fault for screwing with the cap when he was so indecisive about whether to look forward or backward
We literally haven't had an offseason yet and you're asking us to evaluate the roster.

2018:
Gutey drafts Jaire Alexander. He makes the Pro Bowl in his 3rd and 5th pro years

2019:
Gutey signs Za'Darius Smith who had never been to a Pro Bowl. He makes the Pro Bowl in 2019 and 2020
Gutey drafts Elkton Jenkins, who makes the Pro Bowl in his 2nd and 4th seasons
Gutey drafts Rashan Gary, who looks like a promising player to make a Pro Bowl in his career and was a 2021 pro bowl alternate

2021:
Gutey signs DeVondre Campbell, who has never made a Pro Bowl. He is All Pro his first season with the team.
Gutey signs Rasul Douglas, who had never been to a Pro Bowl. He is a Pro Bowl alternate in his first year with the team

2022:
Gutey signs Keisean Nixon, who had never been to a Pro Bowl. He is All Pro his first year with the team.
Gutey drafts Christian Watson, OROY runner up and quite possibly That Dude

Add in solid role players like Preston Smith, Adrian Amos, MVS, AJ Dillon...

Like I'm sorry but the number of elite and semi-elite players on our roster has skyrocketed under Gutey. I get it; no Super Bowl. But as mentioned, the team, WITH RODGERS, was a losing team before he got there, then he hired a head coach and brought in his free agents and draft picks and they went 39-10 and made 2 conference championship games over the next three seasons.

This team has been massively successful. You have to look at who was added to the team. If you compile lists of mistakes, every General Manager has a book-length list. You're working percentages. The number of HIGH quality hits Gutenkunst has is outstanding. That so many of you can only focus on the negative is, honestly, breathtaking. We've been blessed by success and y'all can't even spot how good we have it.

Is he perfect? Absolutely not. But I'd give him about a 7 out of 10
Only person in the building you’d ever criticize is Rodgers so I’m not surprised you are offended when I said I’m willing to give Gutey a couple more years before final judgement…but the jury is still out.

You believe in Phillip rivers ball. Lots of regular season wins means everyone should get paid, go to the hall of fame, and have statues put outside for them. For me, if you have the most talented qb in history, I’d like to demand super bowls. If your QB is coming off two MVPs, I’d like a Super Bowl. If your qb is almost 40, I’d like to give him more than a couple rookies to throw to. Again, just me.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Again.

You have to look at what has been acquired.

If you took a list of any GM's past 40 or so draft picks, you'd realize you've never even heard of half of them and even fewer got lucrative second contracts to remain in the NFL beyond their 4 year controlled rights period, if they got any contract at all.

If you looked at every free agent a GM signed, you'd realize half of them were nondescript players who didn't work out or were low-impact players.

If you took a list of every team's weakest position group or are of underwhelming statistical output, you'd find something to list every year.

But the Packers have added 6 Pro Bowl or All Pro players, 2 more who have been alternates, multiple players who made the all rookie team, a handful more that have not even approached their ceilings yet, and a team that has gone 13-3, 13-3, 13-4, and 7-9 the past 4 years under their new head coach.

Their winning percentage in 5 years under Gutey is .652. The team's winning percentage in the 5 years before him was .594

The team went to 2 NFC Championship games in the past 5 years and only 1 NFC championship game in the 5 years prior.

The team led the league in Pro Bowlers in 2021 with 7

Aaron Rodgers had a passer rating of 103.2, 162 TDs and 27 INTs in the 5 years with Gutey; he had a passer rating of 102.5, 142 TDs, and 32 INTs in the 5 years prior... meaning Rodgers played SLIGHTLY better under Gutey and the team won a lot more with that similar level of play.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I think the largest compliment I can give BG is our roster right now should be almost hopeless and terrible. Like we should be in such hard core rebuild mode after all the deferred dollars we put into this team from 2019 - 2021 during the covid cap clawbacks.

But remarkably, our team actually has a lot of promising talent. Like we have 2 WRs to build on, some young Olinemen to build on, a front 7 on defense to build on, some legit hope in some CBs, and oh by the way at least an answer at QB (don't know the quality of the answer but answer nonetheless)

Like this should be the Lions and Bears time to shine. But in reality I think this Packers team could be fighting for the top of the North again already by next year. That's pretty wild actually.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
16 Mar 2023 20:39
Again.

If you took a list of any GM's past 40 or so draft picks, you'd realize you've never even heard of half of them and even fewer got lucrative second contracts to remain in the NFL beyond their 4 year controlled rights period, if they got any contract at all.

If you looked at every free agent a GM signed, you'd realize half of them were nondescript players who didn't work out or were low-impact players.

If you took a list of every team's weakest position group or are of underwhelming statistical output, you'd find something to list every year.

But the Packers have added 6 Pro Bowl or All Pro players, 2 more who have been alternates, multiple players who made the all rookie team, a handful more that have not even approached their ceilings yet, and a team that has gone 13-3, 13-3, 13-4, and 7-9 the past 4 years under their new head coach.

Their winning percentage in 5 years under Gutey is .652. The team's winning percentage in the 5 years before him was .594

The team went to 2 NFC Championship games in the past 5 years and only 1 NFC championship game in the 5 years prior.

Aaron Rodgers had a passer rating of 103.2, 162 TDs and 27 INTs in the 5 years with Gutey; he had a passer rating of 102.5, 142 TDs, and 32 INTs in the 5 years prior... meaning Rodgers played SLIGHTLY better under Gutey and the team won a lot more with that similar level of play.
No. You don’t judge a Gm by individual names acquired. You judge a GM by how they build a team. Ron Wolf-excellent. Ted Thompson - excellent for a long time. Gutey- to be determined.

Over paying for free agents when Pettine got to town, and then use resources to take 3 years to develop a raw talent when the WR position is being neglected is not good team building. Using a 2 on a RB is not good team building.

There are plenty of GMs who bring in talent every year and never win a thing. Those are teams like the Vikings, the cowboys, the chargers, the browns (recently).

Then there are teams that build complete teams and beat the packers on their way to winning super bowls, or they just go ahead and win them. These are the chiefs, who rebuild the OL after getting manhandled by the bucs. And who try out every available playmaker to try to replace tyreke. This is the niners who destroy the packers, this is the bucs in their title season, this is a team who hasn’t won in a while but everyone expected to be awful…the Seahawks.

Individual players are not the mark of a good GM. Building cohesive units, finding guys that would rather die than lose, and eliminating weak spots is the mark of a good GM. In other words, team builders.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Weird response since I just pointed out that in addition to elevating the team talent, the team's winning percentage and conference championship game appearances also increased under him.

Absolutely, how the Jordan Love situation plays out will always be important, just like for TT, how Rodgers played out would always be important.

But when a GM comes in and the team starts getting better and there are unheralded players signing to the team and making their first career pro bowl almost every year of his tenure, that GM is doing darn well.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
16 Mar 2023 21:04
Weird response since I just pointed out that in addition to elevating the team talent, the team's winning percentage and conference championship game appearances also increased under him.

Absolutely, how the Jordan Love situation plays out will always be important, just like for TT, how Rodgers played out would always be important.

But when a GM comes in and the team starts getting better and there are unheralded players signing to the team and making their first career pro bowl almost every year of his tenure, that GM is doing darn well.
It’s not that weird of a response. Murphy hired a new coach and the QB play elevated. He also certainly elevated the roster talent. Just not enough. You don’t get gold stars for some improvement. You get gold stars for improving enough to have a Super Bowl appearance, when you have the back to back mvp. Sad fact is Gute didn’t build a team to do that. Now we wait and see what he can do when he loses his safety blanket…a hof qb

We are just now getting into the deep end of Guteys tenure. Guy walked into a situation when the roster had an all pro center (linsley), best LT in football, best WR in football, best QB in football, one of the best NT in football, two very good runnings…one of which is about to break records…oh and was found in the 5th round, not 2nd.

I mean cmon, Ted gifted this guy the cornerstones of every good team. He then spent money to fill some holes…great moves, and hit a couple home runs in the draft…Jaire and Jenkins.

That is not a hard thing to do when walking into good cap situation and the rock star players I listed above

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
16 Mar 2023 20:57
YoHoChecko wrote:
Again.

No. You don’t judge a Gm by individual names acquired. You judge a GM by how they build a team. Ron Wolf-excellent. Ted Thompson - excellent for a long time. Gutey- to be determined.

Over paying for free agents when Pettine got to town, and then use resources to take 3 years to develop a raw talent when the WR position is being neglected is not good team building. Using a 2 on a RB is not good team building.

There are plenty of GMs who bring in talent every year and never win a thing. Those are teams like the Vikings, the cowboys, the chargers, the browns (recently).

Then there are teams that build complete teams and beat the packers on their way to winning super bowls, or they just go ahead and win them. These are the chiefs, who rebuild the OL after getting manhandled by the bucs. And who try out every available playmaker to try to replace tyreke. This is the niners who destroy the packers, this is the bucs in their title season, this is a team who hasn’t won in a while but everyone expected to be awful…the Seahawks.

Individual players are not the mark of a good GM. Building cohesive units, finding guys that would rather die than lose, and eliminating weak spots is the mark of a good GM. In other words, team builders.
If you're talking team, then win-loss record has to be a barometer for how good a team actually is.

Getting 13+ wins in the NFL is really, really hard. There are literally franchises who have never gotten to 13 wins in a season. I like to use 13 wins as the barometer because it is an elite level of team performance.

Ron Wolf - 2 seasons of 13 wins (96 & 97)
Ted Thompson - 2 seasons of 13+ wins (07 & 11)
Brian Gutekunst - 3 seasons of 13 wins (19, 20, 21)

I'm sorry. But that is a good team build. You don't accidentally get to 3 seasons in a row of 13 wins. And don't give me, "he had Rodgers" because that same QB only got to 13 wins one other time in his entire career.

Yes. BG has faults. His drafts especially have had a lot of bad misses. But there is also tremendous success in that resume.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

YoHoChecko wrote:

I don't think that us really being argued

The problem is he whiffed big time on the end of Rodgers and stuffed opportunities to win it all with poor drafts in qb mvp years.

That is likely it for gute and a superbowl unless Love is much better than what he has shown.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:

Oh and Tyler Huntley made the pro bowl, that accolade doesn’t mean what you seem to think it means.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

[mention]go pak go[/mention] [mention]YoHoChecko[/mention] bravo! :clap:
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
16 Mar 2023 21:12
Drj820 wrote:
16 Mar 2023 20:57
YoHoChecko wrote:
Again.

If you're talking team, then win-loss record has to be a barometer for how good a team actually is.

Getting 13+ wins in the NFL is really, really hard. There are literally franchises who have never gotten to 13 wins in a season. I like to use 13 wins as the barometer because it is an elite level of team performance.

Ron Wolf - 2 seasons of 13 wins (96 & 97)
Ted Thompson - 2 seasons of 13+ wins (07 & 11)
Brian Gutekunst - 3 seasons of 13 wins (19, 20, 21)

I'm sorry. But that is a good team build. You don't accidentally get to 3 seasons in a row of 13 wins. And don't give me, "he had Rodgers" because that same QB only got to 13 wins one other time in his entire career.

Yes. BG has faults. His drafts especially have had a lot of bad misses. But there is also tremendous success in that resume.
Like I said earlier, the Phillip rivers goal of winning all the regular season games is cool when you have a normal QB. When you have a back to back MVP at QB, the goal should be super bowls. We failed at that goal.

How many GMs have a qb that have won 2 MVPs while they were the GM, do those GMs have super bowls? Because that’s who Gutey should be compared to.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

You guys discredit what TT left in the cupboard for Gutey to begin his career with.

You guys give too much credit for regular season wins when we play in one of the worst divisions in football. It’s not that hard to stack wins against the lions and bears. Sorry.

The goal was a championship before Rodgers left, gutey told you that many times. I’m just willing to hold him to his own standards, while some are excited we beat the dolphins with no tua on Christmas Day

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Gutey used a first round pick to destroy the relationship with the HOF qb when everyone knew we needed a receiver and he’s GM of the year to some of you because he beat the team with the top draft pick (bears). I just have higher standards. So does Gute. He told us the goal was Super Bowl when you have a QB like Rodgers.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

On the top of my head, 4 teams have had "back to back" MVPs in the SB era.

1. Green Bay Packers with Brett Favre - 1 SB win (3 seasons)
2. St. Louis Rams with Faulk and Warner - 1 SB win (3 seasons)
3. Peyton Manning with the Colts - 0 SB wins (2 seasons)
4. Green Bay Packers with Rodgers - 0 SB wins (2 seasons)

So 2 SBs in 8 seasons in this population.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
16 Mar 2023 21:21
You guys discredit what TT left in the cupboard for Gutey to begin his career with.

You guys give too much credit for regular season wins when we play in one of the worst divisions in football. It’s not that hard to stack wins against the lions and bears. Sorry.
But we haven't. The Lions have always sucked. The Bears have always sucked. The Vikings before 2015 sucked.

If it's so easy...then how come Rodgers only hit 13 wins once prior to 2019? Easy divisions netted us 11 wins and sometimes 12 win seasons, but rarely 13 win seasons. The Packers in my lifetime was the #1 seed ONCE prior to Brian Gutekunst and BG's teams did it twice.

Like come on. Again. I'm not saying he's elite. But also give the dude some credit. He has done a lot of great things as GM. Doesn't mean I won't be ready to move on from him if these next 12 months go poorly.
Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
16 Mar 2023 21:26
On the top of my head, 4 teams have had "back to back" MVPs in the SB era.

1. Green Bay Packers with Brett Favre - 1 SB win (3 seasons)
2. St. Louis Rams with Faulk and Warner - 1 SB win (3 seasons)
3. Peyton Manning with the Colts - 0 SB wins (2 seasons)
4. Green Bay Packers with Rodgers - 0 SB wins (2 seasons)

So 2 SBs in 8 seasons in this population.
I didn’t say back to back. I was saying “2 MVPs during their tenure”

Bill Polian won a Super Bowl with Manning, while manning won 2 MVPs during his tenure.

And you already said, favre did it and Warner did it. I’m sure there are others. That’s who you gotta compare Gute to.

He did not do it.

Rodgers won 2 MVPs and won a SB, under TT Tenure.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Of course, the Guty record is not complete. But he has five years to glean plenty of data, which has been partially documented above. But fact is, he started to manage a team that was already highly successful. And the overall record of that team has actually improved during his tenure.

If Guty were a negative GM, you’d already see the team doing a slide (especially before this past year). But it hasn’t. It has improved. And where there is a brief, one-year “slide” there were numerous injuries. It’s better to judge if or how they rebound in 2023.

Guty is very good alright. And hopefully it continues.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
16 Mar 2023 21:31
Drj820 wrote:
16 Mar 2023 21:21

But we haven't. The Lions have always sucked. The Bears have always sucked. The Vikings before 2015 sucked.

If it's so easy...then how come Rodgers only hit 13 wins once prior to 2019? Easy divisions netted us 11 wins and sometimes 12 win seasons, but rarely 13 win seasons. The Packers in my lifetime was the #1 seed ONCE prior to Brian Gutekunst and BG's teams did it twice.

Like come on. Again. I'm not saying he's elite. But also give the dude some credit. He has done a lot of great things as GM. Doesn't mean I won't be ready to move on from him if these next 12 months go poorly.
I don’t think you are I are in much disagreement on Gutey. I’m in total “wait and see” mode, while also recognizing he failed at his goal in phase one of his career. The goal he told us was the standard..while you have Rodgers at QB.

But also, ya..the 13 wins just doesn’t impress me much. I told you the amazing players already on the team, and I said he came in to a good cap situation and spent it all, and he had a couple great selections! I give some credit too!

I just don’t think what he’s done was that hard to do. I mean he didn’t even hire Lafleur!

I give Lafleur turning around Rodgers play the most credit for 13 wins. Awful division gets second most credit.

When you have a back to back mvp, how bout go to a Super Bowl please