False Prophet

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
24 Apr 2020 05:10
lupedafiasco wrote:
24 Apr 2020 05:02
Scott4Pack wrote:
24 Apr 2020 04:45
Lupe, sorry dude. Your call on Ted is off.

Ted was a guy who build an entire career working his butt off. He did it as a player, making a less-talented body turn into a serviceable depth LB in the NFL. He did it as a scout, finding many quality players and helping to build a franchise. He did it as GM too, building his scouting skills, developing other good scouts, watching more tape and seeing more players than almost anybody in the game. You don't give him enough credit. Oh yeah, he built a team that won a SB. I don't know the count of "men" at the GM position who've never even sniffed a Lombardi Trophy, let alone play for one. But Ted got there, winning praises from all of his peers along the way. There is no question that he was a good talent evaluator. The only question is how much some people question him or some of his choices.

Guty is another guy who doesn't follow a mold. And in a short time span, he's taken a rudderless Packer team to the NFCCG. One step away from the Super Bowl, and in only one season. Good grief. So what if he doesn't choose the players that some of us want. Look at his results. I could criticize his picks too. But I'm not at the tier of the NFL that he is and that he has our Packers at right NOW.

I would've flipped a coin between Queen and Mims. But I wasn't the GM.

Guty took a developmental QB that he and his HC obviously believe strongly in and took their shot. He went against the grain to do it too! This guy is a cut above. That doesn't guarantee that he won't be canned this time next year or the year after. But he's cutting his own path, based on his own info. Too many GMs are only trying to get by. And Guty is shooting higher than that. I don't know how much more clear that could be. Remember, I wouldn't have picked Love. But I can see why Guty did. And he weighed his future as GM on this pick. No denying that.

I want GMs like these two guys. They tend to build teams of a very high caliber. What else do we want?

Like I said some being are just ok with being good enough. They will never have that chips on the table moment and take their opportunity. That what we saw from TT after we won and that’s what we’re seeing from Gutey and that’s how you described yourself. Some people just don’t have a mamba mentality.
Wow. You're seeing that, if I understand correctly, as Guty NOT having put all his chips on the table. And I'm seeing that is EXACTLY what Guty has done.

That's okay if we have different opinions. I just think you could find 100 current and previous GMs or more that your critique would better fit than Guty.

Here's to a round 2 that nails a perfect pick!
;-)
well a perfect pick tonight would be a step in the right direction, picking a QB, any QB says we don't care about winning NOW, and for the clown to say he doesn't believe one player can make the difference tells me what a fool he is, because one play is all it takes to win PO and SB games, and 1 player at a time scores, that kind of talk is just a excuse to defend the actions they often take that are bone headed like this one, it's the same crap he pulled last year, baring a injury Gary will be a back up edge rusher and rotational 3 tech his whole rookie contract, so in essense he just used his highest pick on backup players 2 years straight, Guty is destined to be a one contract GM.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

lupedafiasco wrote:
24 Apr 2020 05:20
Scott4Pack wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:
24 Apr 2020 05:02

Like I said some being are just ok with being good enough. They will never have that chips on the table moment and take their opportunity. That what we saw from TT after we won and that’s what we’re seeing from Gutey and that’s how you described yourself. Some people just don’t have a mamba mentality.
Wow. You're seeing that, if I understand correctly, as Guty NOT having put all his chips on the table. And I'm seeing that is EXACTLY what Guty has done.

That's okay if we have different opinions. I just think you could find 100 current and previous GMs or more that your critique would better fit than Guty.

;-)
In what world do you think by drafting a backup puts all our chips on the table? How is that going all in? Are you insane?
I could hope to be insane. I want a GM who doesn't march to the same drummer as the vast majority of them do. (I don't know why that wasn't clear in my previous comment.) Guty is not bowing to pressure inside or outside of the organization. In fact, he's probably had the "should we pick Love?" conversation with MLF as things transpired. Those two, and others, built their board. What was Guty supposed to do, throw away all the work that he and the entire staff worked weeks on? THAT would've been insane.

And think. Before yesterday, so many in this forum were talking about how this was such a deep draft for WRs that we'd easily be able to get one in round 2 that'll be able to contribute right away. That hasn't changed a bit.

So, let's take a look at the bigger picture here. Admit that you would've picked someone else and move on. In Guty I trust! (And remember, that pick is NOT one that I would've made either.)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
24 Apr 2020 06:44
lupedafiasco wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:

;-)
In what world do you think by drafting a backup puts all our chips on the table? How is that going all in? Are you insane?
I could hope to be insane. I want a GM who doesn't march to the same drummer as the vast majority of them do. (I don't know why that wasn't clear in my previous comment.) Guty is not bowing to pressure inside or outside of the organization. In fact, he's probably had the "should we pick Love?" conversation with MLF as things transpired. Those two, and others, built their board. What was Guty supposed to do, throw away all the work that he and the entire staff worked weeks on? THAT would've been insane.

And think. Before yesterday, so many in this forum were talking about how this was such a deep draft for WRs that we'd easily be able to get one in round 2 that'll be able to contribute right away. That hasn't changed a bit.

So, let's take a look at the bigger picture here. Admit that you would've picked someone else and move on. In Guty I trust! (And remember, that pick is NOT one that I would've made either.)
we have 5 players that we need to either sign or replace in 2 years, and they are key players, as I said, if your not going to try and win it all then your going to lose a couple of those players, this idea of draft and develop has to culminate with a attempt to push yourself over the top, or your going to lose players faster then you can replace them, it's just that simple, and your asking lady luck to do more then her share,go look at the last dozen SB winners, they made moves to do just what I said, Lupe was spot on with you, mediocre near the top is what we have been, and the last two top picks Guty has made exemplifies that we stay that way.

Carl Gerbschmidt
Reactions:

Post by Carl Gerbschmidt »

Simmer down folks things will be fine.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:

;-)

What has Gutey done in drafts to earn your trust through the draft, beside simply being hired and being the GM for your favorite team. This is his third draft now, what has he done to earn your trust?!?!
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Apr 2020 08:01
Scott4Pack wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

What has Gutey done in drafts to earn your trust through the draft, beside simply being hired and being the GM for your favorite team. This is his third draft now, what has he done to earn your trust?!?!
What has he done to make you lose it? Team went to the NFC Championship last year. Brought it high talent prospects. High end free agents. He hasn't tanked the team. Some of your expectations are out of whack.

Dammit, you people made me post in this thread.
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

paco wrote:
24 Apr 2020 08:09
Drj820 wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:

What has he done to make you lose it? Team went to the NFC Championship last year. Brought it high talent prospects. High end free agents. He hasn't tanked the team. Some of your expectations are out of whack.

Well I guess I’l Just run through the draft dissapointments if I must. His first draft we got a punter and a starting CB out of the class. His second we got what looks like a guaranteed safety and guard.

We have what appears to be total loss complete busts in josh Jackson, Oren burks, Jmon moore, Cole Madison, and even more busts in later rounds. But I’l Just stick with the higher draft picks for this discussion. In the 2018 draft, none of Guteys 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th picks can find the field.
In 2019, which I won’t judge yet bc it is so early...we used our highest draft pick in a decade on a guy that didn’t see the field bc we had just poured 100m into the position he plays.

With the green glasses off, we have a guy who hasn’t earned any confidence in his draft ability.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Apr 2020 08:20
paco wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Well I guess I’l Just run through the draft dissapointments if I must. His first draft we got a punter and a starting CB out of the class. His second we got what looks like a guaranteed safety and guard.

We have what appears to be total loss complete busts in josh Jackson, Oren burks, Jmon moore, Cole Madison, and even more busts in later rounds. But I’l Just stick with the higher draft picks for this discussion. In the 2018 draft, none of Guteys 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th picks can find the field.
In 2019, which I won’t judge yet bc it is so early...we used our highest draft pick in a decade on a guy that didn’t see the field bc we had just poured 100m into the position he plays.

With the green glasses off, we have a guy who hasn’t earned any confidence in his draft ability.
There is more to being a GM than drafting, yes, its a huge part. But his moves other places have brought I dynamic back to the team it lost during the TT years. It is too early to tell either way. You can't count out Jackson, Burks and others yet. They can still become good players. Do I have to remind you how many people wanted to cut Adams? GIVE IT TIME. You may end up being right, but now isn't the time to call the executioner.
RIP JustJeff

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Cool guys. Thanks for the convo. I really can't add anything to the Guty-thing.

Have a great day 2 y'all!
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I've just had a cup jo Paco, and it still sucks :cry: this is two straight years now Guty has ruined my dreams and a contented nights sleep, I tossed and turned in a frightful state the whole night lol.

sure we'll get over it, and Rodgers will retire some day, but this does almost nothing for the team this year and only if Rodgers is injured next year and beyond, Love isn't even ready to be a backup, and like Favre this probably pissed Rodgers off, where probably in for another dramatic transition of QB's

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

paco wrote:
24 Apr 2020 08:24
Drj820 wrote:
paco wrote:

There is more to being a GM than drafting, yes, its a huge part. But his moves other places have brought I dynamic back to the team it lost during the TT years. It is too early to tell either way. You can't count out Jackson, Burks and others yet. They can still become good players. Do I have to remind you how many people wanted to cut Adams? GIVE IT TIME. You may end up being right, but now isn't the time to call the executioner.
Well with all due respect sir, if you notice in this argument I didn’t say anything about the other aspects of being a gm. The other aspects are much easier than drafting btw. Anyone can throw money at problems, if money is available.

But I asked what he has done to earn trust in his drafting abilities? I asked bc everyone that is defending this pick seems to be throwing in some sort of “trust Gutey” with their rationale.

And yes, I am ready to declare burks and Jackson as busts. If I’m wrong, I will he thrilled to admit it. A better Adams comparison I think would be MVS just purely based on how up and down the start of his career has been, I didn’t add MVS to my crap list yet.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
24 Apr 2020 08:26
Cool guys. Thanks for the convo. I really can't add anything to the Guty-thing.

Have a great day 2 y'all!
Have a good day man

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Apr 2020 08:28
paco wrote:
24 Apr 2020 08:24
Drj820 wrote:

Well with all due respect sir, if you notice in this argument I didn’t say anything about the other aspects of being a gm. The other aspects are much easier than drafting btw. Anyone can throw money at problems, if money is available.

But I asked what he has done to earn trust in his drafting abilities? I asked bc everyone that is defending this pick seems to be throwing in some sort of “trust Gutey” with their rationale.

And yes, I am ready to declare burks and Jackson as busts. If I’m wrong, I will he thrilled to admit it. A better Adams comparison I think would be MVS just purely based on how up and down the start of his career has been, I didn’t add MVS to my crap list yet.
In the end, you don't have a choice but to trust him. Doesn't it feel better to trust and hope that the GM of your favorite team is going to do right by us, rather than tank us? I prefer to look at it this way. And like I said, I don't think you can judge him yet. I need another 2 years or so. I don't work in the NFL, so I have the luxury of wanting that.
RIP JustJeff

Freewheelingutey
Reactions:

Post by Freewheelingutey »

I want to hop on the bandwagon too!! Not only the stupid gary and love picks..signing a wayyyy past his prime Graham..only to cut him and I think we are still paying him. Probably still paying perry too, although he needed to be gone.
You extended Rodgers just for the sake of extending him. Why pay him so much only to draft a qb in rd 1 not even 2 years into that contract?
I wish somebody would send him lowlights of the last game this team played. You were down 27-0 at halftime in the biggest game of your gm career. All your teams weaknesses were there for the whole world to see. No reliable #2 receiver. An oline that struggles against the better dlines. A weak dline..with one solid dt..and good olbs. Your ilbs were, and until proven otherwise, are still crap!
You sign an ilb who has only played 9 games in 2 seasons expecting hime to be the saviour. You had a chance to take one of the 3 best ilbs in this draft who could easily replace burks..and..you take a qb. You also used your 4th rd pick in that trade. Now you have only 2 picks in the next 3 rds..where the talent is. I'm betting they draft a bunch of nobodies the rest of the draft,or depth as they will call it.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Interesting point about Rodgers' extension especially when you consider our talk on here was about franchising him for 2 years. Rodgers old contract would have ran out this pat season so we would be going into 2020 with a franchise tag on him. That would have been $26,895,000, that would have been about $5.25 million more against the cap compared to what he is counting now. We could have then tagged him again and the cap implications would have been a 20% raise or $32,274,000. That have saved us roughly $4.1 million on the cap in 2021. That would have given Love 2 years behind Rodgers and saved us roughly $25 million in cap space total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Freewheelingutey
Reactions:

Post by Freewheelingutey »

Realistically, they couldn't cut him, and, nobody is going to trade for him for at least 2 more years. Even then it's still a pretty significant cap hit. Of course about the time his contract runs out..it would almost be time to re up Love. I just think this move didn't need to be made. It in no way improves this team right now.
They have needed a future starter at ilb for about 10 years now, and one at dt for about 3.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

There is no defending this draft - egotistical rubbish from the front office.

Rodgers has every right to demand a trade at this point.

This is an organization trying to signal its power to the face of the franchise. Rodgers should give them what they want and demand a trade - there is nothing wrong in doing your best to win all the time. Rodgers best chance of winning is to move on.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

How do we miss wr in the best wr draft when we have nothing at the position and it is a premium position hahaha

It's crazy - we instead have got 2 non premium positions - back up qb and rb instead of a starting wr at a cheap price for 5 years.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

bud fox wrote:
24 Apr 2020 21:29
2 non premium positions
Oy.

Read More. Post Less.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

bud fox wrote:
24 Apr 2020 21:24
Rodgers has every right to demand a trade at this point.

...Rodgers should give them what they want and demand a trade - there is nothing wrong in doing your best to win all the time...
So who is going to take on his contract? How would the Packers pay the prorated money? It's practically impossible.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi