Official 2020 Draft Thread - Day 2 - NO SPOILERS!!!

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Chilli wrote:
24 Apr 2020 09:25
NCF wrote:
24 Apr 2020 08:17
I'm thinking we use our 2nd on a need... CB, WR, OL and then trade out of the 3rd to re-coup the 4th we traded away yesterday. I think many that made Big Boards agreed the end of the 3rd was kind of a dead zone.
We have three 6th rounders, I think its far more likely we will trade up packaging a 5th and 6th to move up into the 4th round.

I still strongly believe there are still plenty of immediate contributors in the WR class. I'm 80% sure we will draft one with our 2nd round pick.

In the 3rd i'm secretly hoping for Ackers but it would not surprise me if its a OL, DL, ILB instead.
Good point on that. That could happen, too, certainly. Maybe the Packers will see the value at the end of the 3rd (practically a 4th-rounder, already).

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
24 Apr 2020 09:25
kampmanfan4life wrote:
24 Apr 2020 08:59
Realistically how far can we move up in the second round today? When do I have to start paying attention today.
With what capital?

We already gave up a 4th. We maybe could jump like 6 - 10 spots with a later day 3 pick or two.
ya, I don't know what it would take to move up, but what the heck we might as well gamble some more and trade up for Shenault, probably the most ready to step in and play.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I wonder what we would have done if Love went top 25.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
24 Apr 2020 10:33
I wonder what we would have done if Love went top 25.
Trade up to 27. Draft Queen. Be the most dominant defense in NFL history.

But you know. Whatever right?
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

If you want to play, the PFF mock simulator has round 1 picks set and you can mock going forward. Based off a combination of my board and McGinn's I went with Jeremy Chinn and Van Jefferson.

The Draft Network's makes the correct 1st round picks too. My mock there is Michael Pittman and Matt Peart.

Now for PFN's...Zach Baun and Matt Hennessey (if not Hennessey Bryan Edwards or maybe Claypool)
RIP JustJeff

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

paco wrote:
24 Apr 2020 11:33
If you want to play, the PFF mock simulator has round 1 picks set and you can mock going forward. Based off a combination of my board and McGinn's I went with Jeremy Chinn and Van Jefferson.

The Draft Network's makes the correct 1st round picks too. My mock there is Michael Pittman and Matt Peart.

Now for PFN's...Zach Baun and Matt Hennessey (if not Hennessey Bryan Edwards or maybe Claypool)
Interesting that after the fanbase meltdown about a lack of weapons for Aaron in the first round you would double down and go Safety at 62? You give even less of a crap about the fans feelings than Gute! :)

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

British wrote:
24 Apr 2020 11:41
paco wrote:

Interesting that after the fanbase meltdown about a lack of weapons for Aaron in the first round you would double down and go Safety at 62? You give even less of a crap about the fans feelings than Gute! :)
You are correct sir! The board falls where it falls. Mims and Pittman are the only 2 WR's left that I have on my board with a 2nd round grade. If they aren't there, I'm not going to reach, I'll wait until the 3rd or even later.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
24 Apr 2020 11:45
British wrote:
paco wrote:

You are correct sir! The board falls where it falls. Mims and Pittman are the only 2 WR's left that I have on my board with a 2nd round grade. If they aren't there, I'm not going to reach, I'll wait until the 3rd or even later.
Bryan Edwards and Claypool are on my radar, as well as those two, + Shenault, who I apparently like better than everyone else.

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

NCF wrote:
24 Apr 2020 11:48
paco wrote:
24 Apr 2020 11:45
British wrote:

Bryan Edwards and Claypool are on my radar, as well as those two, + Shenault, who I apparently like better than everyone else.
Shenault is right on the edge for me. I've got him 3rd round where I feel most comfortable. He wasn't available even at 2 in any of these 3 mocks I did.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Shenault, Edwards, and Mims are my hopes for round two. Not sure if any make it to 62; wouldn't be shocked if one is there at 94

:idn:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Apr 2020 12:24
Shenault, Edwards, and Mims are my hopes for round two. Not sure if any make it to 62; wouldn't be shocked if one is there at 94

Add Claypool and I do hope its one of those guys. If its a CB or OT, I'd like that, too. I was never big on DL until at least Round 3.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
24 Apr 2020 12:25
YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Apr 2020 12:24

Add Claypool and I do hope its one of those guys. If its a CB or OT, I'd like that, too. I was never big on DL until at least Round 3.
I'm big on the IDEA of DL, but not on the reality of the available players until at least round three.

I could do with a CB in round 3, but in round 2, after going QB, there's some urgency to make use of this strong WR class for me.

And you know how I feel about Claypool, so we won't discuss it again :lol:

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

2nd round is where the value is at WR - not just this year but pretty much every year.

Almost no difference between WRs taken in the late 1st and the late 2nd:

Still lots on the board: Mims, Pittman, Higgins, Edwards, Shenault, Claypool, Van Jefferson.

The CB I really want for the Packers is Reggie Robinson. 3rd round or maybe trading back into the 4th.

But I'd also be happy with LB Willie Gay or one of the running backs in the 3rd.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Random thoughts:

1) I think Gutey wants to win every year, long term. He's not into cycles of peaks and valleys, into trying to peak hard and then suck hard in preparation of next peak. NE didn't become a dynasty by doing that, and that's the gold standard.

2) We want a WR, we can still get a good one.

3) Draft is unpredictable and fun because of it.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I'd really like a slight 3rd round trade-back to recoup that pick we lost.

Here are some options, with traditional trade chart values in parentheses:

94 to NY Giants for 99 or 110 and 150 (124 points to 130.2 or 100.2 points)
94 to New England for 100 and 139 (124 points to 136.5 points)
94 to Seattle for 101 and 144 (124 points to 130 points)
94 to Pittsburgh for 102 and 135 (124 points to 130.5 points)
94 to Philly for 103 and 146 (124 points to 121 points)
94 to Minnesota for 105 and 132 (124 points to 124 points)
94 to Baltimore for 106 and 143 (124 point to 116.5 points)
94 to Washington for 108 and 142 (124 points to 113 points)

Basically anyone with comp picks in the 3rd aside from the Browns and Rams (plus WAS early 4th rounder) round also seems to have a late 4th to throw our way for some pretty balanced trade options. Fingers crossed.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Some interesting things from last night:
No safety was taken.
The only RB taken was what everyone considered to be the 4th best RB.
After Henderson and Okudah, the consensus was all over the place at CB.
Only 2 Edge rushers taken.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

My targets for today:

Wide Receiver:
Tee Higgins
Denzel Mims
Laviska Shenault
Michael Pittman
Chase Claypool
K.J. Hamler
Donovan Peoples-Jones
Devin Duvernay
Tyler Johnson
Van Jefferson
Bryan Edwards

Running Back:
Jonathan Taylor
D'Andre Swift
J.K. Dobbins
Cam Akers
Zack Moss

Offensive Tackle:
Josh Jones
Prince Wanogho Tega
Ezra Cleveland
Lucas Niang

Defensive Line:
Ross Blacklock
Justin Madubuike
Neville Gallimore
Marlon Davidson
Raekwon Davis
Jordan Elliott
Davon Hamilton

Linebacker:
Zack Baun
Malik Harrison
Troy Dye
Willie Gay
Logan Wilson

Cornerback:
Kristian Fulton
Trevon Diggs

Jaylon Johnson
Bryce Hall
Cameron Dantzler
Troy Pride
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I also think the argument if we haven’t spent a first rounder on a WR since XXXX is a dumb argument, after Jennings and Jordy both early 2nd and Cobb and Murphy and Adame.

All for taking a WR last night; but also never a fan of a fallacious argument hiding behind statistics.

Didn’t read the articles and won’t, but assuming is Javon Walker?

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

The second round starts at 2AM my time!?

How am I gonna pull this off? a) :messedup: , b) :munch: , c) :toke: , d) :beer: , e) :surrender:

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

What's nice about this draft is our needs match its strengths.

We need WR, OT, CB, RB

Those are it's 4 deepest positions.

It's weakest are probably TE, EDGE, Interior OL and Safety

Last year our first four picks were EDGE, Safety, IOL, TE

Good chance that Gary was EDGE2 in this class, Savage was S1, Jenkins was IOL1 and Jace was TE1.

Smart thinking ahead from Gute and the team or just good fortune?