Sammy Watkins- He Gone!

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I was a skeptic of his, but I am not gonna bash the move too much. We needed to add some veteran experience and Watkins was a guy who made sense at some level, and it's not like there was anything much better out there at the price. We got what we paid for: a stopgap.

And now there's really not much use/need for him: Lazard blocks as well while being an appreciably better receiving target; Watson, Cobb, and Doubs are all superior receiving options, and frankly I would even rather get Toure on the field at this point because at least there is some upside there.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Another player that the Packers have picked where they had previously worked together. In Watkins case it was LaFleur when he was with the Rams in 2017.

Not saying that’s necessarily a bad thing because at least you know the person you’re getting. Just saying familiarity shouldn’t trump talent.
Love is the answer…

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Foosball wrote:
19 Dec 2022 17:47
Another player that the Packers have picked where they had previously worked together. In Watkins case it was LaFleur when he was with the Rams in 2017.

Not saying that’s necessarily a bad thing because at least you know the person you’re getting. Just saying familiarity shouldn’t trump talent.
LaCoach prioritizes who he is friends with over talent or competency. That should be clear by now.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

FAct is that Sammy doesn’t bring anything to the table that should put him ahead of Toure in the depth chart. It just makes sense to amicably let him go.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

wallyuwl wrote:
19 Dec 2022 17:59
Foosball wrote:

LaCoach prioritizes who he is friends with over talent or competency. That should be clear by now.
who doesn't, and Lafluers first choice for DC was Leonard, just like with Rodgers people take cheap shots at anyone and have no foundation for there opinions.

so much crap being aimed at Lafluer now.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
19 Dec 2022 18:58
wallyuwl wrote:
Foosball wrote:

who doesn't, and Lafluers first choice for DC was Leonard, just like with Rodgers people take cheap shots at anyone and have no foundation for there opinions.

LaCoach's 5 and 8 record is bringin' the criticism. It is what it is.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
19 Dec 2022 18:58
wallyuwl wrote:
Foosball wrote:

Why do you act like being the defensive coordinator of the Green Bay packers is an undesirable job and because Lafleurs top candidate already had a job, that Lafleur just HAD to settle for little Barry?

I still wish he hired wade Phillips
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Leonhard was not the only quality candidate available. MLF also interviewed Ejiro Evero, who has done a phenomenal job coaching Denver's defense.

MLF chose Barry, D-Coord of the 0-16 Lions, over that guy.

:|
—Magneto

Tooothsome Jeb
Reactions:

Post by Tooothsome Jeb »

Yoop wrote:
19 Dec 2022 14:12
Tooothsome Jeb wrote:
19 Dec 2022 13:17
Captain_Ben wrote:
19 Dec 2022 12:55

What would be so great about that? :?

And where is his home, really? He's played for so many different teams.
i•ron•y
a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.
and here we have our Anti-Packer fan, i-ron-y is you only come around to root for our opponents :rams:
You need to wake up later or take a humor suppository, yoop. One or the other. :box: :beer2:

Tooothsome Jeb
Reactions:

Post by Tooothsome Jeb »

And try to spell our coach's name correctly, along with the other 40% of the words you choose. And your syntax is abhorrent.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Tooothsome Jeb wrote:
20 Dec 2022 02:03
And try to spell our coach's name correctly, along with the other 40% of the words you choose. And your syntax is abhorrent.
Syntax?

Yoop’s gonna think the govt is taxing his weed now…

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Ravens have claimed him, according to Teen Vogue, which I don't read.

(In all seriousness the Ravens did claim him per a headline I just saw).
—Magneto

Tooothsome Jeb
Reactions:

Post by Tooothsome Jeb »

Not many bums outside of this guy, Matt Flynn and Sam Bradford have extorted more money over time plugged into the production > paycheck equation. He has no respect around the league and was playing like a broken down 37 year-old receiver by age 25. And no disrespect to Terrell Owens, Jerry Rice, Isaac Bruce or James Lofton with that swipe.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Tooothsome Jeb wrote:
21 Dec 2022 00:47
Not many bums outside of this guy, Matt Flynn and Sam Bradford have extorted more money over time plugged into the production > paycheck equation. He has no respect around the league and was playing like a broken down 37 year-old receiver by age 25. And no disrespect to Terrell Owens, Jerry Rice, Isaac Bruce or James Lofton with that swipe.
Bum? That is rather harsh. Injuries have robbed him of his best asset = speed. From all accounts he was a good guy in the locker room and a willing blocker. I hope he has success in Baltimore.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pugger wrote:
21 Dec 2022 09:35
Tooothsome Jeb wrote:
21 Dec 2022 00:47
Bum? That is rather harsh. Injuries have robbed him of his best asset = speed. From all accounts he was a good guy in the locker room and a willing blocker. I hope he has success in Baltimore.
everyone that under performs his contract is a Bum, according to him

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
19 Dec 2022 20:42

I think I've decoded your super-secret 3 step process:

Step 1) Throw out the 39-10 record, those games never happened
Step 2) Focus massively on the 6-8 record
Step 3) kvetch about the coach with impunity

Matt La Fleur, HC for the Mighty Green Bay Packers is currently 45-18, netting a .714 winning percentage.
That's Top 5 all time - and while that % won't continue, I think he's earned a bit of slack. Young HCs all need to go through a period of maturation and learning, including some painful lessons.

But to deliver those results while you are learning on the job is absolutely spectacular. For reference: Holmgren was 27- 21 his 1st 3 years.
IT. IS. TIME

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Ravens picked up Sammy.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BSA wrote:
21 Dec 2022 12:51
RingoCStarrQB wrote:

Matt La Fleur, HC for the Mighty Green Bay Packers is currently 45-18, netting a .714 winning percentage.
That's Top 5 all time - and while that % won't continue, I think he's earned a bit of slack. Young HCs all need to go through a period of maturation and learning, including some painful lessons.

But to deliver those results while you are learning on the job is absolutely spectacular. For reference: Holmgren was 27- 21 his 1st 3 years.
8-0 against the bears. That alone deserving of signing an extension.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BSA wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:

Ya, but, well you know, Matt's record is a result of the magnificent AR, except for this season, now they both suck :lol:

Tooothsome Jeb
Reactions:

Post by Tooothsome Jeb »

BSA wrote:
But to deliver those results while you are learning on the job is absolutely spectacular. For reference: Holmgren was 27- 21 his first three years.
Different era, different rules, different everything. Holmgren and Wolf showed up in a very competitive NFC (and 5-team division) with the mission to rebuild a 1991 club that just posted a 4-12 record in a then "outpost" of the NFL with no quarterback and free agency was still a work in progress -no promises - in '93. I won't rehash everything they did...but by Sept. '95 those guys and those teams authored a 25 game home win streak that lasted exactly three years. You came to Lambeau, you lost. It was a top-down design to 1) get the players to make it possible and 2) make gameday highly unpleasant for visiting teams.

LaFleur and Gute walked into The House That Ron/Mike/Brett Built and can't get it done. Big games, bigger losses. Their present positions started on third base, not the on-deck circle of the aforementioned regime. They took utter scraps and a laughingstock and turned it into a championship powerhouse that lasted six strong years and left pillars for future success. Now anyone...the Zach Wilson Jets...and I mean, anyone, can waltz into 1265 and hang an L on us.

With the annual draft misfires, overpaying average/outdated players, misjudging roster talent, horrible corporate practices, a rubber-spined GM, etc, this team is in reverse and the momentum is going to be unrecoverable for the foreseeable future.

yoop, the floor is yours, Sir....
Last edited by Tooothsome Jeb on 22 Dec 2022 01:46, edited 1 time in total.