2020 UDFA Signings

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

Piece in The Athletic about C19 and supplemental draft.
https://theathletic.com/1776808/2020/04 ... tal-draft/
The commissioners of the major college football conferences earlier this month told Vice President Mike Pence on a conference call that college sports cannot resume until college campuses are open, and there is no clarity yet if in-person classes will resume across the country for the fall semester. College commissioners and NCAA officials are still working through what return-to-play scenarios would look like.
And from the comments:
There will be no college football if there are no college classes because of the politics of the NCAA -- for it to hold games when there aren't students on campus doing other normal student things would make it so glaringly obvious that these are not students who participate in an extracurricular activity, but employees paid a scholarship to play football for the economic benefit of the University that they can't afford to do it. So the college season has to wait till it's safe to bring everyone back to campus and have classes, students living in dorms, and all the rest.

By comparison, the logistics of holding NFL games (especially for TV, with no fans in the stadium) are relatively easy. It should be possible to do that much by fall. Whether all the students on a typical university campus can return to living in crowded accommodations and attending huge lecture classes, however, is much more uncertain... and that would be a necessary prerequisite for holding college games.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

So if the college football season is cancelled or delayed without a firm start date by mid-summer, a lot of players with one year of eligibility left may declare for the NFL supplemental draft in July.

Imagine a supplemental draft with the likes of Travis Etienne, Najee Harris, Chuba Hubbard, entering the NFL?
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

And think about their value vs 2021 draft picks.

If you got them now in the supplemental draft not only could you play them this season, their development would likely be improved compared to other players coming into a draft in 2021 with a year out of the game. 2021 rookies likely to be very rusty and harder to gauge their ability and therefore 2021 picks worth less than normal.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

It will be interesting to see how the supplemental draft will work. Here is a good breakdown: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/new ... 8ohd76e5ko

So if a player could have declared for the regular NFL draft, they wouldn't be allowed to declare for the supplemental draft. Where the waters get muddy is if the NFL/NCAA will agree that no NCAA football season in 2020 means a change in eligibility.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Packfntk wrote:
29 Apr 2020 09:43
Imagine a supplemental draft with the likes of Travis Etienne, Najee Harris, Chuba Hubbard, entering the NFL?
OOoOoOoo more RBs!

Which WRs would this include? Many top tier (Waddle, Chase, Ross, Seth Williams, Rondale Moore) are still not eligible.

I think some guys like DeVonta Smith, Tylan Wallace, Sage Surrat, Tamorrion Terry, Tyler Vaughns

Interesting to see if this happens and how teams value it. I can't recall a 1st round supplemental player. Josh Gordon was a 2nd and I think a DB was a 3rd or 4th just last year.

I'd definitely give up a 2021 3rd for the right person. I'd consider a 2nd for THE RIGHT person. None of the guys listed, though, so far, have me psyched to give up a 1st. Tylan Wallace followed by Smith would probably be my preferred players on this list. Surratt is a guy that really intrigues me but unless they time a 40 I'm wary.

Should we start a new thread on the Supplemental draft instead of putting it in with UDFAs?

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Apr 2020 10:13
Should we start a new thread on the Supplemental draft instead of putting it in with UDFAs?
Do it. Its certainly the most curious I have ever been about it... at least until we have a clearer picture what it all means.

BTW, flashback to 1998. Ron Wolf used the supplemental draft, giving up a 1999 2nd-round pick to select OT/OG Mike Wahle. That turned out alright once they focused on him inside.

Read More. Post Less.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Apr 2020 10:01
Where the waters get muddy is if the NFL/NCAA will agree that no NCAA football season in 2020 means a change in eligibility.
This is where I think there has to be some action if the season is cancelled.

Because players are stuck between a rock and a hard place. If they lose 2020 and gain and extra year of eligibility, they also then have 1 more recruiting class on the team which doesn't really work to anyone's favor. And if 2020 is cancelled, there will literally be no difference in value between today and the 2021 draft unless the underwear olympics are held.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Yeah, YoHo. It would be wild. Lots of good RB's, and WR's that would be eligable too.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Wait, the Texas Tech LT who was 3-time All Conference and 2-time team captain and has NFL measurables was a non-invite to the combine and thought to be a lesser prospect than the only-slightly-larger RT (Steele) and we signed the LT as an UDFA? That's a nice PS guy to compete with Njimen as a high-upside OT who needs work.

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

Would be great if one of these upside guys can be developed into a decent swing tackle or back up LT.

Nijman was raw as hell coming out but had all the stuff you can't teach. Fingers crossed he or the new guy can show something.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I feel pretty good about a few of these guys. Not sure how many will make the roster, but some really nice PS developmental candidates.

I like the idea of some of the personalities sticking around in the locker room--the "oil can" slot receiver; the "glue guy" ILB.

I hope the Canadian DB would rather stay on our PS than play in the CFL. Elite physical tools, in need of some seasoning (we generally have an elite physical tools UDFA DB or two on the PS at any given time; most don't pan out even though we get excited about them. Only takes one to hit, though)

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

YoHoChecko wrote:
02 May 2020 09:45
I feel pretty good about a few of these guys. Not sure how many will make the roster, but some really nice PS developmental candidates.

I like the idea of some of the personalities sticking around in the locker room--the "oil can" slot receiver; the "glue guy" ILB.
Just noticed that I never really planted a flag in any of the undrafted guys and I'm sad about that.

Seems like I liked Samuels, Bruffy, and Barnes based on some comments and recollection, but my posts didn't really go out of my way to kinda "claim" anyone, which I normally do.

Stopped in here to see what my immediate post-draft reactions were to the couple of EDGE guys (Scott and Galeai), but I guess I... didn't have any.