Packers Extend Elgton Jenkins 4/$68M

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Thoughts?

Was thinking he would have gotten more
5%
Perfect
59%
Ok with the money, would have waited till offseason
5%
A little more than I wanted
18%
We got fleeced
14%

Total votes: 22

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

wallyuwl wrote:
23 Dec 2022 12:04
He got top 10 tackle as a guard. And he isn't even currently a top 10 guard, has only made 1 pro bowl. Deals like this are why Gute will never lead the Packers to the SB, much less win one.
really, if Jenkins had hit the open market he would have gotten 20 mil. your not looking at this in 2023 contract terms.

I thought he was a pro bowl alternate his 2nd season??????

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Elgton has a B-day coming up + Christmas.
How cool would it be to wake up with an extra $15M in your bank account as a 27 yr old ?

I'm guessing he would have gotten a bit more in March - bears will have $124M in cap space and they'd be thrilled to have our Jenkins in addition to their Jenkins on the OL
IT. IS. TIME

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

wallyuwl wrote:
23 Dec 2022 12:04
He got top 10 tackle as a guard. And he isn't even currently a top 10 guard, has only made 1 pro bowl. Deals like this are why Gute will never lead the Packers to the SB, much less win one.
Lol, the guy on rookie contract only made one pro bowl.

🤡

For context, he made it his 2nd year in the league. Was absolutely on pace last year to making back to back pro-bowls, but got hit with the ACL, which obviously impacted this year as well. He was on pace for at least 2, could have been 3, without injury.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pugger wrote:
23 Dec 2022 12:02
Could he have tested the market this offseason?
yes? He can do whatever he wants.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BSA wrote:
23 Dec 2022 12:15
Elgton has a B-day coming up + Christmas.
How cool would it be to wake up with an extra $15M in your bank account as a 27 yr old ?

I'm guessing he would have gotten a bit more in March - bears will have $124M in cap space and they'd be thrilled to have our Jenkins in addition to their Jenkins on the OL
My prediction was Jenkins was going to be a Bear. I thought they would throw an offer he couldn't refuse. But GB beat them to it.

Hard to say no to this kind of coin. And I'm sure Elgton watned to stay a Packer. From Jenkins's perspective, this was a fair deal to him...so why not sign.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Jenkins’ diversity (ability to play all OLine positions) should have pushed his value up more. I’m shocked that we got him for this. Frankly, only established LTs should be getting more than what Jenkins could have gotten.

Jenkins is a guy who has been solid every place that he has played. He struggled early this season, coming back from injury. For sure. But he’s still back to being real good.

I’d take this deal anytime. And this is why Guty deserves a pay raise, in my view.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
23 Dec 2022 12:28
Pugger wrote:
23 Dec 2022 12:02
Could he have tested the market this offseason?
yes? He can do whatever he wants.
And he chose to stay in GB. :)

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

I sure hope Elgton stays healthy. When Bakh and Elgton were out ........... things got very EFFEN iffy. In they're still iffy..........just not very EFFEN iffy. :swear:

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Scott4Pack wrote:
23 Dec 2022 12:43
Jenkins’ diversity (ability to play all OLine positions) should have pushed his value up more. I’m shocked that we got him for this. Frankly, only established LTs should be getting more than what Jenkins could have gotten.

Jenkins is a guy who has been solid every place that he has played. He struggled early this season, coming back from injury. For sure. But he’s still back to being real good.

I’d take this deal anytime. And this is why Guty deserves a pay raise, in my view.
What? A pay raise for Gutey? For what .......... for making us put up with Yoop incessantly reminding us about Jordan and Justin? This is total craziness. :rotf:

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

BF004 wrote:
Packers got 3.5 years of cheap but very talented Jenkins; he was way underpaid during those seasons.
Now, he got the 2nd deal and will reside near the top of the OL pay for a couple of months.Then the March FA trumpets will sound and those deals will eclipse his and his pay rank will drop back into the pack. At the end of this extension, he will again be underpaid based on the cap growth.
Given the up & down nature of compensation, it makes little sense to gripe about it. Some years overpaid, some under. That's the system

In the end, both the player and the team get good overall value and us fans get the benefit of quality OL play going forward
IT. IS. TIME

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BSA wrote:
23 Dec 2022 13:12
BF004 wrote:
Packers got 3.5 years of cheap but very talented Jenkins; he was way underpaid during those seasons.
Now, he got the 2nd deal and will reside near the top of the OL pay for a couple of months.Then the March FA trumpets will sound and those deals will eclipse his and his pay rank will drop back into the pack. At the end of this extension, he will again be underpaid based on the cap growth.
Given the up & down nature of compensation, it makes little sense to gripe about it. Some years overpaid, some under. That's the system

In the end, both the player and the team get good overall value and us fans get the benefit of quality OL play going forward
I was actually looking at the upcoming guard market, not much out there this year. Chris Lindstrom will be likely to get an extension from Atlanta before 2024 offseason that will likely use Jenkins contract as the starting point.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Scott4Pack wrote:
23 Dec 2022 12:43
And this is why Guty deserves a pay raise, in my view.
Gute does more on the selection/evaluation side and Russ Ball handles more of the deal-making.
Both contribute on these talks and both have done a good job in GB of building a roster that is 45-18 since MLF arrived.

The Packers have been very consistent over the years in handling 2nd contracts for their ascending draft picks:

IF you want top 10 money, let's sit down and work it all out.
IF you need Top 5 money - thanks for your service and good luck.

Added bonus of getting this done now, they can shove a chunk of the signing bonus into the 2022 cap
IT. IS. TIME

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

BF004 wrote:
23 Dec 2022 13:13
I was actually looking at the upcoming guard market, not much out there this year.
Kinda bleak !
I'm guessing this was discussed at 1265 and impacted the timing/$$ for both sides. The other good news we can infer from this signing-
Elgton enjoys living/playing in GB. If he didn't, he would have waited till March. Big win all around getting these kinds of guys locked up
IT. IS. TIME

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I didn't think we'd keep him because I thought he'd test the market, and some team would outbid us exorbitantly.

This deal is fairly reasonable. A bit of an overpay right now, but if in a few years he plays into Top-5 in his position, his contract will be right on par with that (maybe even cheaper if he works into the Top-3).

I also feel way better about OL moving forward with him in the fold. If he left, we would have a problem at one of the starting Guard spots. If Sean Rhyan had really impressed as a rookie and/or Newman progressed singificantly, I probably would have liked to just let him walk. At some level, it's worth it to avoid having a liability along the OL as much as for his play.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

The only loser in this deal is Rashan Gary
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
23 Dec 2022 14:09
The only loser in this deal is Rashan Gary
oh ya, just wait till you see how much we give him :lol:

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Here's a quote via Ryan Wood

OL Elgton Jenkins said extension negotiations heated up late November. He considered testing free agency, but he wanted to be here.

"It's always in the air, but the coaches wanted me here, I wanted to be here. As long as we could come to an agreement, it was good."
IT. IS. TIME

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

BSA wrote:
23 Dec 2022 13:24
BF004 wrote:
23 Dec 2022 13:13
I was actually looking at the upcoming guard market, not much out there this year.
Kinda bleak !
I'm guessing this was discussed at 1265 and impacted the timing/$$ for both sides. The other good news we can infer from this signing-
Elgton enjoys living/playing in GB. If he didn't, he would have waited till March. Big win all around getting these kinds of guys locked up
I’m sort of wondering if there’ll be a quality player shortage in some positions, for teams that have high aspirations. In other words, if a team wants a deep playoff run in January, then they need a number of quality players who will help them to get there. (Where those players actually play is subject to GM/Mgmt discretion.)

Just as the OLine FA market after January might be short of quality Gs and Ts, a team like the Packers should sign the ones of that quality when they can, especially if they are already on the team.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Scott4Pack wrote:
23 Dec 2022 17:18
especially if they are already on the team.
Andrew Brandt agrees...and so do the Packers

IT. IS. TIME

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

I have to agree in theory with Yoop. QB's are more important than guards. Pretty obvious that the Packers are not going to be able to afford 20 mil for Love's 5th year now. Got to protect the old man, priority is the status quo.