Day 3 Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

How Many Picks Today (Currently 9 - 4, 5, 5, 6, 6, 7, 7, 7, 7)

No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
42%
25%
8%
No votes
BF is the man
17%

Total votes: 12

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Apr 2023 10:40
These Mariucci white board segments with QBs make me wildly uncomfortable for some reason.

Like on one hand, this is insight we usually don't get to see.

On the other hand, it feels so much like an old man being like "here's how it worked in my day young buck." Not in reality. Just in vibes.

Nothing wrong or upsetting or offensive about any of this. He isn't intentionally or overly condescending. But there's just something weird about "ok buddy, prove yourself to me" in the media segment versus in a real job interview
Doesn't help these QB's were 3 or 4 years old the last time Mooch coached. Doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't know what he's talking about. But these kids haven't known him as anything but a tv dude. So yeah, has a weird vibe.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Well ESPN has Mel and Todd talking about next year's first round picks now, then transitioning to Day Three QB options, so we're not off to a great start

Like guys, Day Three QBs do not deserve outsized positional coverage. Not like the top guys. It's ok to acknowledge that this day is about filling out rosters and special teams and finding random sleepers.

I wish they brough a reaction format to these rapid fire days.

1. Why were they available on Day Three?
2. What are reasons for optimism?
3. Team fit: depth chart/scheme
4. Talking head approval/disapproval of the pick/value/fit
5. Highlights if you have them or have time
6. Little life tidbits about what other sports he used to play or who his uncle is, if you have time.

It wouldn't have to be that rigidly delivered but just a guideline. "This is a guy who is still available because of his athletic profile, but his film shows some areas where he could shine if used correctly; the team he went to has a hole in that role, so he might get on the field sooner than later."

Items 1-3 are like 22 seconds of talk on a pick that gives you the bare minimum info. Then add all the filler and fluff you want. I know this is an entertainment endeavor. But just have a format to make sure we're getting the baseline understanding of who a player is on the field and how he fits. More so than what Mel Kiper thinks of the pick.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
29 Apr 2023 10:45
YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Apr 2023 10:40
These Mariucci white board segments with QBs make me wildly uncomfortable for some reason.

Like on one hand, this is insight we usually don't get to see.

On the other hand, it feels so much like an old man being like "here's how it worked in my day young buck." Not in reality. Just in vibes.

Nothing wrong or upsetting or offensive about any of this. He isn't intentionally or overly condescending. But there's just something weird about "ok buddy, prove yourself to me" in the media segment versus in a real job interview
Doesn't help these QB's were 3 or 4 years old the last time Mooch coached. Doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't know what he's talking about. But these kids haven't known him as anything but a tv dude. So yeah, has a weird vibe.
I watched the one with Richardson (SP) and that was so weird when he asked him to prove to me you have it, but I was impressed with how well Richardson handled it

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Already 3 trades today!
RIP JustJeff

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Post by kampmanfan4life »

YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Apr 2023 10:54
Well ESPN has Mel and Todd talking about next year's first round picks now, then transitioning to Day Three QB options, so we're not off to a great start

Like guys, Day Three QBs do not deserve outsized positional coverage. Not like the top guys. It's ok to acknowledge that this day is about filling out rosters and special teams and finding random sleepers.

I wish they brough a reaction format to these rapid fire days.

1. Why were they available on Day Three?
2. What are reasons for optimism?
3. Team fit: depth chart/scheme
4. Talking head approval/disapproval of the pick/value/fit
5. Highlights if you have them or have time
6. Little life tidbits about what other sports he used to play or who his uncle is, if you have time.

It wouldn't have to be that rigidly delivered but just a guideline. "This is a guy who is still available because of his athletic profile, but his film shows some areas where he could shine if used correctly; the team he went to has a hole in that role, so he might get on the field sooner than later."

Items 1-3 are like 22 seconds of talk on a pick that gives you the bare minimum info. Then add all the filler and fluff you want. I know this is an entertainment endeavor. But just have a format to make sure we're getting the baseline understanding of who a player is on the field and how he fits. More so than what Mel Kiper thinks of the pick.
Agree, you would think day 3 audience (or really any audience) for the NFL draft is pretty hard core football fans. Do we really need the Jonas Brothers, and the other dumb antics.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Bunch of teams trading up to the top of the round before picks have been made. At least 2 of the top 3 picks today have been traded. Maybe all three. Can't tell if I missed something

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
29 Apr 2023 10:57
Already 3 trades today!
wild executing a trade for pick 105 without knowing who is going at 103 and 104. It feels like the kind of move you make for someone specific, but doing so without knowing, it must be for at least 2 or 3 specific guys that mark the end of team tiers and value.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I like Saldiveri; would have been a nice GB target.

Making an autistic kid try to pronounce that in front of a crowd of 70,000+ people was pretty crummy of them, though. The Saints are dicks.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Really some good value here. I think right now I would go Wypler to press Myers to stop being so awful. I really like Antonio Johnson too but as a big slot. I don’t know about him at S. I was about to say Bennett but he just got drafted. I loved him as a slot CB. I love Roschon too at RB. Could be a good replacement for Dillon.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Already a few possible Packer targets off the board.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
29 Apr 2023 11:13
Already a few possible Packer targets off the board.
This will happen a lot.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

lupedafiasco wrote:
29 Apr 2023 11:13
Really some good value here. I think right now I would go Wypler to press Myers to stop being so awful. I really like Antonio Johnson too but as a big slot. I don’t know about him at S. I was about to say Bennett but he just got drafted. I loved him as a slot CB. I love Roschon too at RB. Could be a good replacement for Dillon.
I'm curious on Johnson as well. Didn't test well but looks like he plays better than that.

I'm not as concerned with center. I think Myers improves and we've got Hansen and Tom to possible push him (if the Packers decide to give Tom reps there).
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Such an obvious pick for the Eagles, or should I say the Northeast Bulldogs.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Eagles out-Georgiaing us by a mile now

They listed Ringo as DB. Might be swapping him to safety or the CGJ role

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Eagles with the best defense in the league.

‘Do whose defensive draft strategy we should try to emulate… Green Bay’

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I can’t find a single stream for day 3. If anyone has one send it to me please.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
29 Apr 2023 11:19
Gotta a be a few guys on YouTube steaming, but won’t be the ESPN or NFLN broadcast.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

BF004 wrote:
29 Apr 2023 11:21
lupedafiasco wrote:
29 Apr 2023 11:19
Gotta a be a few guys on YouTube steaming, but won’t be the ESPN or NFLN broadcast.
Yeah I was looking for the official ones but I finally found one I think.

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Post by kampmanfan4life »

Found this from JSonline.

Positions selected thus far:
Center - 4
Guard - 6
Tackle - 7
DE -9
DT - 10
LB/OLB - 15