Rank the Roster 2023: #7

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who are the next two best players on the Packers?

Poll ended at 14 May 2023 15:23

DeVondre Campbell
29%
Eric Stokes
No votes
AJ Dillon
11%
Preston Smith
8%
Rasul Douglas
3%
Darnell Savage
No votes
Josh Myers
No votes
John Runyan
No votes
Quay Walker
No votes
Devonte Wyatt
No votes
Jordan Love
21%
Christian Watson
21%
Keisean Nixon
8%
Romeo Doubs
No votes
Lukas Van Ness
No votes
Luke Musgrave
No votes
Jayden Reed
No votes
Tucker Craft
No votes
Jonathan Owens
No votes

Total votes: 38

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

texas wrote:
13 May 2023 12:42
I know there is no criteria, but I think it doesn't make any sense to have a Rank the Roster and then vote for most valuable players like Love. Because if we do that then applying that to every team, going into last year you would have had Zach Wilson and Jimmy G atop their respective teams. Sure as hell valuable, but not good by any means.

And I know this type of debate gets brought up every year in the MVP race, but the difference between the actual MVP race and this, even though we're talking about player value vs player skill in both cases, is that in the NFL MVP race, all of the valuable players are also clearly atop the league in terms of ability for a given year. That's not the case here.

So, I think it is not a good idea to put Love this high for the apparent reasons many have. If you think that he is legitimately going to be a top 5 or top 10 QB then it is fine to put him here, but I see no reason why at this stage, we should put him above Devondre or Watson, both of whom are legitimately threats to be top 5 at their position (whereas Love as a top 5 QB is just hope at this point).rookies
But we really don't know if Love is our most valuable player yet. He IS playing the most valuable position no doubt. For me I rank the roster members by their play on the field. Each year in this exercise I rarely rank rookies high.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Yoop wrote:
13 May 2023 13:28
Backthepack4ever wrote:
12 May 2023 16:35
For the love of God it's the QB next with his up and coming star wr next. Don't care if ppl think a mlb is better (tough sell bc of positions) but the QB matters. Really if Love goes down for the year we are absolutely screwed. I really cNt say that for any other player. The team would be weaker sure but would still move forward. Love going down ends the season.

QB position here hands down
thing is this is a Ranking the roster by player exercise, and not a team building one, and that is why many of us are not ready to pencil in a unproven QB this high. ( Iam getting close though) :lol:

Campbell and the others have proven just how good they have been and those voting for him think he will be.
And I respect that but I took this the last 10 years as most important ranking to the roster in said year. No rules no boundaries just rank.

Thats what makes it great. From many years we ALL agreed on the top 6-8ish if this was who's the best Packers yep a young unproven QB falls down the line but... I play it like I'm ranking my roster and what/who matter. Campbell had a down year to start. He can bounce back but ranking this packer roster love is more important both position and play.

Love the discussion though. I respect all views

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I think I am going to hit up Campbell, Douglas, Dillon, and Smith as the next tier. Then Watson, Love, Stokes, Walker, etc...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

I accept that we all have our own criteria and some people will choose "Proven" player over potential or position.

But if you are choosing a "proven" player, you probably chose Jenkins who is very definitely not proven. Last season he was coming off an ACL, last season he was not 100% in any game, especially the last one, and there is no proof that he can ever again be what he was. Because of ACL's, Bulaga went from the best RT in the league to an average (and overpaid) RT. Jordy's ACL cost him a step and quickness and he was never again a top 10 receiver. There is no proof and there is plenty of evidence that an ACL is a permanent and significant degradation for almost everyone.

However Campbell and Walker are legitimately proven and healthy and I have no argument with choosing them at this choice. Nixon is a legitimate proven choice as a returner and has potential on both the O and D.

I made both my picks and I chose Watson and Love, in that order. I value potential over performance (especially performance for an aging player) and I compare more for the Packers and less for the league. Also I am voting for more than just this coming season. IMO Watson is head and shoulders above everyone except Alexander, Gary and Clark and Gary is coming off that pesky ACL that basically makes him at best average for this coming season. Watson could be the best WR in the league this year and he probably will be in his 3rd year, baring injury. No one else in the league has his combination of size, speed, strength and open field running ability.

So my order is Watson, Love, Campbell, Walker and Nixon to finish this tier. And then we should be thinking about Jenkins and Bakh and Jones ( Jones has too many key fumbles to be where he was chosen ).

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Skeptic, this is the 2nd article I've brought to refute your opinion of our LG Elgton Jenkins, and Bulaga played great after his injury for years, your exaggerating the affects the injury's had on both of these players

Elgton Jenkins allowed zero sacks as a rookie in 2019, one in 2020 and two in 2021. In 2022, he allowed a career-worst three.

It was a tale of two seasons, though. Coming off last year’s torn ACL, Jenkins made his debut in Week 2 at a new position – right tackle. In five games, he gave up two sacks, one quarterback hit and 12 total pressures, according to PFF. Slow to acclimate, Jenkins was moved back to left guard – where he was a Pro Bowler in 2020. In 10 games at his new/old spot, he gave up one sack, no quarterback hits and five total pressures. Moreover, in the final seven games, he gave up just one pressure.

An outstanding run blocker, too, he allowed only one stuff – a tackle at or behind the line on a running play – regardless of position.

No wonder the Packers signed him to a monster contract extension. His dominant second half of the season was a reminder of his greatness.

Grade: B.

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/gra ... ong-guards

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I don't like to blame huge falloff on simply scheme. I think that's an easy cop out.

Watson has a much, much higher ceiling than Campbell. I am going Watson who was the best Packers player in 2023 after Gary went down.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I can $%@# with Watson here too I guess, wasn't thinking about him in the course of this debate between Campbell and Love.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

what a dilemma, do I vote for a young pisser like Love who's only claim to fame was a couple PS performances and two season mop ups against prevent defense, ooorr the greatest receiver the team drafted in the present GM's history, who as a rookie became the hope of the future as our # ono catcher, orrrrr the rock steady MLB who played only 13 games but still was on pace for another PB birth?

I think all 3 are deserving, the later two have a better resume, really for me it's a flip of the coin, I guess I'll stick with Campbell, scheme change had nothing to do with his stat decline, 3 less games and the drafting of Walker did, easily the best MLB since the early years of Barnett, and Walker looks like a up grade even from Campbell

one a very good UFA pickup and the other appears like a great draft pick, way to go Gutekunst :aok: