Rank the Roster 2023: #20

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who are the next two best players on the Packers?

Poll ended at 18 Jun 2023 22:25

Eric Stokes
21%
Darnell Savage
31%
Josh Myers
28%
Luke Musgrave
15%
Jayden Reed
No votes
Tucker Kraft
No votes
Jonathan Owens
No votes
Yosh Nijman
No votes
TJ Slaton
No votes
Kingsley Enagbare
No votes
Samori Toure
3%
Josiah Deguara
3%
Rudy Ford
No votes
Isaiah McDuffie
No votes
Jonathan Ford
No votes
Carrington Valentine
No votes
Sean Clifford
No votes
Tariq Carpenter
No votes

Total votes: 39

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
18 Jun 2023 09:52
Pckfn23 wrote:
17 Jun 2023 23:16
Labrev wrote:
17 Jun 2023 22:56

But also, he looked good out there last year. Sounds like they are still starting him there so far this year, and he continues to impress. He seems to have the skills for it, good enough size, and the right mentality.
He played 7 snaps on defense the last 3 weeks of the season... I guess I wouldn't peg his 2022 as a precursor to 2023.

Indeed, and that doesn't seem to bode well for Stokes, seeing as he wasn't there for most (or any?) of it, and wasn't missed

Not missed and changed tactics are a bit different. We definitely missed a nickel corner and Nixon was not the answer.

If memory serves, they relegated him to dimeback last season when they benched him from his starting S role, and he seemed more at-home in that role in the limited time he spent there before he was thrust back into Safety action because Ford got benched, and then Savage played better when he returned.

Good for him, but like, maybe he should just be our dime CB when we're in that alignment? Because it might be his best position. And we have enough rangy/fast guys at S now that we can do that without losing the ability to cover a lot of ground.
When he was benched he was fully benched and played 2 snaps in 3 games. He got back on the field in week 16 due to injury.
Even if Nixon is not the answer at nickel and Savage is not cut out for dime DB, it does not mean Stokes is a Top 20 player for us. As CB3 for us last year, he was one of our lowest-graded players, playing so poorly that he basically needs to prove himself all over again.

I am not a doomer on Stokes. If he can recover from the injuries without losing athleticism (not a small 'if'), he certainly has the talent and seems to have the smarts to turn things around. And if he -is- CB3, then he will have the opportunity to prove himself again, in which case, I would certainly be willing bet on him.

And yet, the injury, and reason for doubt that he will be higher than CB4/DB7 this year. And even if he clears those hurdles, maybe we could just end up discovering Year 2 is who he is. I don't think Stokes is hopeless, I just think his risks are too high and too many without any recent reason to be reassured for us to rank him in the 20s. We expected #10 last year. He played closer to ~48.
Everyone struggled in the Barry/ Gray zone schemes last year, Stokes included, he showed as a rookie that he has what it takes to play bump and run and man coverage which imo is the scheme we should be using.

IMO Barry is on a short leash, if he f k's this up like he did last year I hope our coach eats some pride and gives him a ticket to the DC graveyard

I guess no one took Lafleur to heart when he said Savage is a safety, imo Savage will start the season as our strong safety, the rest of these DB's can fight it out to play FS and nickel back

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Post by kampmanfan4life »

Meyers for me. The dude was a high pick last year and has the talent. Needs to stay healthy and put it all together. I do not see us changing Center position when we have a first year starter at QB.