Meyers Watch

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Cdragon wrote:
03 Aug 2023 07:55
Yoop wrote:
03 Aug 2023 07:49
Cdragon wrote:
03 Aug 2023 06:28
With 2 recent ACLs on the line I can't imagine us going into a game with less than 2 backups. Right now Tom at center might just be for versatilities sake. If you are down to a swing T at backup, you can drop Tom inside. I would take Tom with his extra 15lbs as the best RT over Tom as a slightly better C than Myers and a weaker RT.
did Toms add 15 lbs this off season? he was listed at 304 lbs last season, which makes him 10 lbs lighter then either of Nijman or Meyers :idn:
He had an interview last week where he mentioned adding weight but it was noted that the Packers site hadn't changed it yet.
thanks, good to hear, my one issue with Toms was that he looked a little light

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Cdragon wrote:
03 Aug 2023 07:55
Yoop wrote:
03 Aug 2023 07:49
Cdragon wrote:
03 Aug 2023 06:28
With 2 recent ACLs on the line I can't imagine us going into a game with less than 2 backups. Right now Tom at center might just be for versatilities sake. If you are down to a swing T at backup, you can drop Tom inside. I would take Tom with his extra 15lbs as the best RT over Tom as a slightly better C than Myers and a weaker RT.
did Toms add 15 lbs this off season? he was listed at 304 lbs last season, which makes him 10 lbs lighter then either of Nijman or Meyers :idn:
He had an interview last week where he mentioned adding weight but it was noted that the Packers site hadn't changed it yet.
Also, Andy Herman commented that when Tom stands next to Josh Myers, they look roughly the same size. And Myers has pretty good bulk. But ofc Andy is justa blawgerrrrrr.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

There is 1 basic flaw in this thread. The assumption is that Nijman can play RT. IMO, he cannot. As evidence, go back and watch the last Lions game. He was embarrassed. He was pitiful. He was beyond bad, he was UDFA rookie who cannot make the PS bad. Now admittedly the Lion that was beating him like a dirty rug is a good player - but that Lion was still a rookie. And then Tom replaced him at halftime and that Lion did not even have a pressure after that.

Of course it was 1 game. Maybe Nijman has spend 10 hours a day since last January fixing his technique and it will never happen again. But I would not bet Love's season on whether Nijman has fixed his problems at RT - which is what starting an incompetent player at RT means.

The likely probability is that next spring the Packers use a 1st rounder on a LT and Nijman is gone. And that Tom spends the rest of his career at RT - which is where he is most valuable.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
03 Aug 2023 08:36
There is 1 basic flaw in this thread. The assumption is that Nijman can play RT. IMO, he cannot. As evidence, go back and watch the last Lions game. He was embarrassed. He was pitiful. He was beyond bad, he was UDFA rookie who cannot make the PS bad. Now admittedly the Lion that was beating him like a dirty rug is a good player - but that Lion was still a rookie. And then Tom replaced him at halftime and that Lion did not even have a pressure after that.

Of course it was 1 game. Maybe Nijman has spend 10 hours a day since last January fixing his technique and it will never happen again. But I would not bet Love's season on whether Nijman has fixed his problems at RT - which is what starting an incompetent player at RT means.

The likely probability is that next spring the Packers use a 1st rounder on a LT and Nijman is gone. And that Tom spends the rest of his career at RT - which is where he is most valuable.
ehhh, to hard to predict this stuff, we had a center once that took 5 years to start and ended up a very good center.

as you said it was one game and imo you could see that Nijman was thinking to much about his lousy footwork against detroit, again, thinking is what you do practicing, if ya have to think during a game, your toast, at least thats what I saw when we moved Jenkins there after rehab and again with Nijman, both had slow feet, so it's either they are slow footed, or they had to think to much about it, and since we've seen both do pretty well elsewhere, I think it's the later.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

MLF was asked about the competition at OC so far in his presser today- he offered some context for those interested

He said right now they are still going through installs- that means these guys have a huge menu in front of them, whereas on game day- its a much more limited set. Installs should be completed this week and then they'll start refining.

He said whoever is in that OC spot has his work cut out for him; Kenny Clark and TJ Slaton are both bringing it- and its easier for the DL to turn it loose than the OL because OL is going through installs

MLF said what's missing is consistency

“Josh has done a really good job, but we need more consistency,” LaFleur said before Thursday’s practice.
“We have complete confidence that he is fully capable of doing that, and we’ve seen that from him .”
Last edited by BSA on 03 Aug 2023 10:56, edited 1 time in total.
IT. IS. TIME

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

BSA wrote:
03 Aug 2023 09:57
MLF was asked about the competition at OC so far in his presser today- he offered some context for those interested

He said right now they are still going through installs- that means these guys have a huge menu in front of them, whereas on game day- its a much more limited set. Installs should be completed this week and then they'll start refining.

He said whoever is in that OC spot has his work cut out for him; Kenny Clark and TJ Slaton are both bringing it- and its easier for the DL to turn it loose than the OL because OL is going through installs

MLF said what's missing is consistency
MLF is missing consistency as well.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Meyers should be a guard. He can block when he doesn’t have to snap a ball and think. Centers have to block, snap the ball, and think. He’s not good enough for all that. Move him to guard.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
03 Aug 2023 18:19
Meyers should be a guard. He can block when he doesn’t have to snap a ball and think. Centers have to block, snap the ball, and think. He’s not good enough for all that. Move him to guard.
Yeah blogger Herman has mentioned that numerous times over the past year.

But honestly we have no idea. The dude has played center since his redshirt sophomore college season.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
03 Aug 2023 19:53
Drj820 wrote:
03 Aug 2023 18:19
Yeah blogger Herman has mentioned that numerous times over the past year.

But honestly we have no idea. The dude has played center since his redshirt sophomore college season.
Blogger Herman must follow me on Twitter with his burner account ;) ;) ;) ;)
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Meyers seems to struggle against bull rushers. No QB can have the pocket collapse like that, right in front of him.

Tom seems too valuable to move to C. I hope Meyers improves or is replaced by someone not named Tom.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Of 33 centers to play at least 300 pass-protecting snaps, Myers ranked sixth in PFF’s pass-blocking efficiency. He allowed three sacks; Humphrey didn’t allow any. While Myers has been good in pass pro, he has struggled in the run game. SIS charged him with 19 blown blocks, second-most by any lineman, and six stuffs, tied for seventh-most. He’s far too talented to be playing with such inconsistency.

Myers was flagged twice (once for holding) while playing a team-high 1,091 snaps.
https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/gra ... ng-centers
FWIW
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

TheSkeptic wrote:
03 Aug 2023 08:36

It's true Nijman had a terrible game in week 18 against the Lions. But other than that he was a decent right tackle for most games since moving there in week 7 of last season. I don't expect him to develop into an elite one but the Packers could do worse than him as well.
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
03 Aug 2023 20:54
Tom seems too valuable to move to C. I hope Meyers improves or is replaced by someone not named Tom.
Unfortunately the Packers don't have another viable option to replace Myers currently on the roster.
Pckfn23 wrote:
03 Aug 2023 21:14
Of 33 centers to play at least 300 pass-protecting snaps, Myers ranked sixth in PFF’s pass-blocking efficiency. He allowed three sacks; Humphrey didn’t allow any. While Myers has been good in pass pro, he has struggled in the run game.
You're right about that. PFF ranked Myers only 30th in run blocking grade among the 33 center with the most snaps.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Botched snaps are inexcusable. There have been five botched snap exchanges so far: one with Love last night, two with Love and the 1s in other TC, two with Etling and the 2s in TC.

All five of them were with Myers as the C.

If Tom is not legit competition for the starting spot at C, then our coaches are clueless.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
06 Aug 2023 13:18
Botched snaps are inexcusable. There have been five botched snap exchanges so far: one with Love last night, two with Love and the 1s in other TC, two with Etling and the 2s in TC.

If Tom is not legit competition for the starting spot at C, then our coaches are clueless.
He said Toms is the ONLY viable replacement to Myers.

and the coaches have worked him at center, so there aware of his ability there, but there not going to give up on a 3rd round pick at this stage of the season/camp, obviously they also like what they see of Toms at RT.

Lafleur said in the past that the best 5 play, and so far, since he's been here I think that's been true, at this point it seems to me both Myers and Toms are members of the top 5, with Bakh, Jenkins, and Runyan, but it's still early, Nijman seems like the #6, and #7 through #9 are where the real camp battles are :idn: the top 6 seem set.

I read last year saw a increase in % of gap ( M&M ) blocking to Zone, Toms has said he gained 15lbs, that makes sense, specially at Center, and even more so in M&M scheme.

I expect we'll have another top 10 OL, which it seemed like at the end of last season, at times anyway.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Yoop wrote:
06 Aug 2023 15:04
Labrev wrote:
06 Aug 2023 13:18

He said Toms is the ONLY viable replacement to Myers.

and the coaches have worked him at center, so there aware of his ability there, but there not going to give up on a 3rd round pick at this stage of the season/camp, obviously they also like what they see of Toms at RT.

Lafleur said in the past that the best 5 play, and so far, since he's been here I think that's been true, at this point it seems to me both Myers and Toms are members of the top 5, with Bakh, Jenkins, and Runyan, but it's still early, Nijman seems like the #6, and #7 through #9 are where the real camp battles are :idn: the top 6 seem set.

I read last year saw a increase in % of gap ( M&M ) blocking to Zone, Toms has said he gained 15lbs, that makes sense, specially at Center, and even more so in M&M scheme.

I expect we'll have another top 10 OL, which it seemed like at the end of last season, at times anyway.
I agree. And Myers is a better center than Yosh is a RT.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

Yoop wrote:
06 Aug 2023 15:04

Nijman might be a better player than Myers at this point though.

It's true the percentage of gap blocking has increased each season since MLF took over (36.2% in 2022, 30.3% in '21, 26.6% in '20 and 24.6% in '19) but the Packers are still primarily a zone blocking team.