2020 NFL Schedule

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

TheGreenMan wrote:
06 May 2020 15:43
I hate playing in Tampa. If you take Brady off the team, I still say we have a shot of losing that one. We often look ill prepared down there.
Since 2000 we have played in Tampa Bay 6 times. The Packers are 4-2 in that stretch.

Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Packfntk wrote:
06 May 2020 16:08
TheGreenMan wrote:
06 May 2020 15:43
I hate playing in Tampa. If you take Brady off the team, I still say we have a shot of losing that one. We often look ill prepared down there.
Since 2000 we have played in Tampa Bay 6 times. The Packers are 4-2 in that stretch.

Football database has us 2-5 since 2000, down in Tampa.

https://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/gr ... eam?opp=30
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Not sure I follow the logic unless its to get rid of the least important games first.

Read More. Post Less.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

NCF wrote:
06 May 2020 17:01
Not sure I follow the logic unless its to get rid of the least important games first.

Not knowing what live game situations are going to look like, fans in stadiums... maybe giving the Covid pandemic "more time" to settle down before rivalry games? Divisional games produce more revenue, want the league on all cylinders type of thing.

… I'm obviously guessing here.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I wouldn’t hate for that to be more the standard, especially if we are gunna so away with preseason a lot more.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Or they schedule these games that don't matter as much at the beginning should they need to be cancelled.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

TheGreenMan wrote:
06 May 2020 17:07
NCF wrote:
06 May 2020 17:01

Not knowing what live game situations are going to look like, fans in stadiums... maybe giving the Covid pandemic "more time" to settle down before rivalry games? Divisional games produce more revenue, want the league on all cylinders type of thing.

… I'm obviously guessing here.
I think that is exactly why they are doing it.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

I think it has to do with the tie breaking rules. From a tie breaking perspective, the non-conference games (games versus the AFC) are "common games" which is near the bottom of the list. The division games are "common games" as well, but division games have a higher ranking. This why the last 2 or 3 games of the season are usually against North division foes. Most people believe the North division games are more important than the AFC or other NFC (non-North) games. The tie breaking formula weigh more toward the division games than toward the AFC games.

Two Clubs
Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in common games.
Best net points in all games.
Best net touchdowns in all games.
Coin toss

Three or More Clubs
(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).
Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in common games.
Coin toss

To Break A Tie For The Wild-Card Team
If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.
If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs
Head-to-head, if applicable.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best net points in conference games.
Coin toss.

Three or More Clubs
(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)
Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best net points in conference games.
Coin toss

The Green Man's avatar seems creepy, almost nightmare-ish :idn: :rotf:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Seems pretty obvious if the league has to move to slashing the first four games of the year, they want everyone to at least play their conference opponents if possible. I think its a good contingency plan. My issue though is that if they do decide to cut the first four, i am going to start having real fear that the season may not happen at all.

Think about it. The scientists are talking about a potential second wave as the hot weather recedes and the cool temps set back in. Well that would be right at about week 5 of the season. I guess my point is the league is either going to have to create a plan where they can play while the virus is still a thing out in the outside world, accept that some players may get it and push ahead anyway, or we probably arent having a season once they decide to cut the first four. Because i dont have much hope that whats bad enough to delay the season in week 1, will be any better by week 5.

Just my thoughts on the schedule. With this 4 week off sort of built in cushion, i think if they decide to use it the whole season might be in real jeopardy.

at some point there will be three options:

1. Proceed with no fans for a bit and accept the risk that players and coaches could get it.

2. Find somewhere to isolate the league members, wait two weeks, than do all activities from one central location. Block everyone off from the outside world.

3. or, if no one is willing to accept the PR of taking the risk, or the risk to the players...we dont have sports until there is a vaccine.

Bc the current strategy we are employing to get past this might be flattening the curve, but we are not going to eradicate this thing until a vaccine i feel. So players and leagues will have to determine what level of risk they accept.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

It's interesting from overseas to observe the way the US is dealing with the pandemic. If it was Germany I'd have greater optimism that we'd be good to go by September. But the hodgepodge of different tactics and responses taken by different states feels like it will still be swirling around from state to state for some time.

Right now I'm expecting zero fans in the stadium all season. My guess is political pressure will mean games will get the green light to be played but all players will probably have to sign a waiver that they won't sue if they catch it and teams may be have to be prepared for star players to be quarantined for a week if they show symptoms.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Bundesliga is starting up May 15th with no fans. This will be a great test case to see how it works for them. Almost 4 months before the NFL season is set to begin. This should help with the NFL response.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

British wrote:
07 May 2020 09:24
It's interesting from overseas to observe the way the US is dealing with the pandemic. If it was Germany I'd have greater optimism that we'd be good to go by September. But the hodgepodge of different tactics and responses taken by different states feels like it will still be swirling around from state to state for some time.

Right now I'm expecting zero fans in the stadium all season. My guess is political pressure will mean games will get the green light to be played but all players will probably have to sign a waiver that they won't sue if they catch it and teams may be have to be prepared for star players to be quarantined for a week if they show symptoms.
Thats my thing. I just dont see how if the conditions arent right to play by week 1, i have no confidence it will be right by week 5. I guess it will just come down to what risk players are willing to accept, and how big of a PR hit the league is willing to take.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Leaks I've seen so far.

Indy week 1
SNF after Thanksgiving at home vs. Bears
@ Bears weeks 17
RIP JustJeff

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

Drj820 wrote:
07 May 2020 09:45
British wrote:

Thats my thing. I just dont see how if the conditions arent right to play by week 1, i have no confidence it will be right by week 5. I guess it will just come down to what risk players are willing to accept, and how big of a PR hit the league is willing to take.
Anyone know if players will get paid if the season is cancelled/they opt out? Does it depend on the guarantees in each player's contracts? Might we have guys with guarantees sitting out on safety grounds and those without taking part?

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

No play, no pay.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

British wrote:

Yeah you will want to monitor Georgia and Texas. They the first states who are opening prior to the federal guidelines. Word so far is Georgia's cases are rising faster than anyone in the country now, but it's a bit early to know anything yet.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if the US is one of the last developed countries to get a handle on it. The country is too big and the political structure means states are free to do their own thing which screws up plans laid by their neighbouring states. Probably needs some proper top-down federal action but Trump doesn't want to do it.

Be funny if the NFL chooses one stadium, books/builds hotels nearby and hosts all 32 teams there for the season. Then each game is played one at a time over a long weekend. Fours games a day from Friday to Monday. Would get great TV viewing figures. Schedule would be a bit like soccer World Cup.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
07 May 2020 10:09
British wrote:

Yeah you will want to monitor Georgia and Texas. They the first states who are opening prior to the federal guidelines. Word so far is Georgia's cases are rising faster than anyone in the country now, but it's a bit early to know anything yet.
Without getting into a debate on who is doing it right, and who is wrong. (I wouldnt defend the state of Ga on anything) I will say this: The stats all over the south are skewed currently because we just started having free testing, and we just started allowing people to be tested without a doctors referall. Before the last couple weeks tons of people were just assuming they have it and self quarantining. So the numbers have probably been much higher all along, we are just now seeing a truer representation.

So at least hopefully now the NFL will have better data to make schedule decisions with.
Last edited by Drj820 on 07 May 2020 10:57, edited 2 times in total.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Yeah, let's leave the virus out of this. Let's just focus on the schedule in this thread.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.