Buccaneers @ Packers GDT: Sunday, Dec. 17th, 12:00 PM CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

The passes to routes over the middle declined before the decline in talent. The decline in passes to routes over the middle persisted through LaFleur.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
14 Dec 2023 14:43
The passes to routes over the middle declined before the decline in talent. The decline in passes to routes over the middle persisted through LaFleur.
again email Mike McCarthy and find out why Rodgers didn't throw over the middle, and it continued with Lafleur for the same reasons it declined after 2016. lack of talent.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

The over the middle stuff started to decline after JFin got hurt.

2014 validated that over the middle wasn't necessary because the kill shots, back shoulders, and broken plays of coming back to the ball were wildly successful in 2014.

Jordy Nelson made it possible. And there was no reverting to attack the middle again.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
14 Dec 2023 14:50
Pckfn23 wrote:
14 Dec 2023 14:43
again email Mike McCarthy and find out why Rodgers didn't throw over the middle, and it continued with Lafleur for the same reasons it declined after 2016. lack of talent.
So you emailed Mike McCarthy and Matt LaFleur to find that out? Stop being disengenuous.

Was there a lack of talent in 2014? 2015? 2016? 2017?
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 14 Dec 2023 15:39, edited 2 times in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

:lol: :lol: ... it would be hilarious if we emailed Mike McCarthy and made him answer these asinine questions.

Funnier still if he contradicted yoop's narrative and was like "no, it was Rodgers who wanted to avoid the middle." Then yoop would have to pick a fight with an NFL coach to defend Rodgers's honor. :rotf:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Top 34 QBs by attempt from 2014-2016 and their percentage over the middle:
image.png
image.png (64.07 KiB) Viewed 365 times
Aaron Rodgers is 19th. The talent excuse doesn't fly.

Dusty Evely on 2019-2022:
https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-pac ... 207552129/
Over that time, Rodgers has targeted the middle of the field on 38.5% of his attempts (~12.5 attempts per game), completing 77.3% of his passes for 9.0 YPA. That seems good! During that time, the rest of the league has targeted the middle of the field on 46.0% of their attempts (~15.7 per game), completing 74.1% of passes for 8.0 YPA...

he targets the field at a much lower clip than the rest of the league.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

I guess I don't get the point anymore. He's far and away better than anybody on that list except maybe Brady and he had quick slot guys and TE's that make their hay over the middle not on the boundary. Maybe everyone else throws to the middle too much?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

so 22% of his passes where over the middle, that he didn't throw over 30% over the middle like Flaco, means what? more BS to degrade that QB.

again, this was a McCarthy initiative, why would I email McCarthy? you people are the ones that said Rodgers refuses to throw down the ally's

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
14 Dec 2023 15:14
:lol: :lol: ... it would be hilarious if we emailed Mike McCarthy and made him answer these asinine questions.

Funnier still if he contradicted yoop's narrative and was like "no, it was Rodgers who wanted to avoid the middle." Then yoop would have to pick a fight with an NFL coach to defend Rodgers's honor. :rotf:
DO IT, Please, I know he wont contradict a word I said.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

musclestang wrote:
14 Dec 2023 16:04
I guess I don't get the point anymore. He's far and away better than anybody on that list except maybe Brady and he had quick slot guys and TE's that make their hay over the middle not on the boundary. Maybe everyone else throws to the middle too much?
the people here that complain about Rodgers the most don't even recognize most on that list as good QB's, Flacco not at all. :rotf: :rotf:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
14 Dec 2023 16:18
Labrev wrote:

Do you actually believe that I or anyone else here has Mike McCarthy's email address?? :|

Even if we somehow got it, he sure as hell would not just answer whatever dumbass questions random fans send his way.

LOL YOOP
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
14 Dec 2023 16:11
so 22% of his passes where over the middle, that he didn't throw over 30% over the middle like Flaco, means what? more BS to degrade that QB.

again, this was a McCarthy initiative, why would I email McCarthy? you people are the ones that said Rodgers refuses to throw down the ally's
No one said he should be the leader or close to it in throws over the middle. The simple statement is that Rodgers shied away from throws over the middle. It's not a knock on Rodgers, it's just reality.

If it was simply a McCarthy initiative it would have changed from 2019-2022, it didn't.

No person said Rodgers refused to throw over the middle, he just was reticent to do so compared to his peers. He obviously threw a lot of passes over the middle, but less than average compared to his peers.

Why would I email McCarthy, your the one obsessed with it and make claims you cannot support.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 14 Dec 2023 16:48, edited 1 time in total.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Labrev wrote:
14 Dec 2023 16:33
Yoop wrote:
Labrev wrote:

Do you actually believe that I or anyone else here has Mike McCarthy's email address?? :|

Even if we somehow got it, he sure as hell would not just answer whatever dumbass questions random fans send his way.

LOL YOOP
It's simply his reply because he cant back up a thing he says.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

musclestang wrote:
It's that this isn't necessarily true:
Rodgers never had a problem throwing over the middle to guys that knew the offense. It wasn't until he had to rely on the St. Brown that wasn't very good, Montgomery, a guy named Amari, Deguara etc that he went there less
It didn't matter who he threw to, it was simply his risk averse nature not to do so.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
14 Dec 2023 16:45
Labrev wrote:
Yoop wrote:

LOL YOOP
no I can't, but then I'am not the person claiming he wont throw over the middle, Risk averse is a MIchael McCarthy trade mark, and Rodgers never hesitated throwing over the middle when he had the talent he could depend on, never hesitated throwing over the middle freaking ever to Adams, Cobb, GJ, Nelson, Jones, Driver, Cook, Finley, seriously, only a fool would throw over the middle to the trash not on that list any more then was absolutely necessary.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
14 Dec 2023 16:55
Pckfn23 wrote:
14 Dec 2023 16:45
Labrev wrote:

LOL YOOP
no I can't, but then I'am not the person claiming he wont throw over the middle, Risk averse is a MIchael McCarthy trade mark, and Rodgers never hesitated throwing over the middle when he had the talent he could depend on, never hesitated throwing over the middle freaking ever to Adams, Cobb, GJ, Nelson, Jones, Driver, Cook, Finley, seriously, only a fool would throw over the middle to the trash not on that list any more then was absolutely necessary.
I proved that wrong already. Rodgers was still throwing over the middle at a below average rate even with that group. You are repeating a false claim. It is not talent that made him hesitate to do so.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

AJ Dillon broken thumb. Might miss game...

However:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

It is good news about Wicks. When I heard that it was a high ankle sprain I expected IR and done for the season. I guess he got lucky and it is not

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Pckfn23 wrote:
14 Dec 2023 16:46
musclestang wrote:
It's that this isn't necessarily true:
Rodgers never had a problem throwing over the middle to guys that knew the offense. It wasn't until he had to rely on the St. Brown that wasn't very good, Montgomery, a guy named Amari, Deguara etc that he went there less
It didn't matter who he threw to, it was simply his risk averse nature not to do so.
Because he didn’t throw to the middles as much as other qbs he was head and shoulders above?

I’ve seen him throw enough balls to receivers capable of going to get a ball enough times to know this “risk averse” thing is overblown. He didn’t throw those passes to receivers that sucked and he did to receivers who could catch it and it didn’t matter where on the field that receiver might be