Rank the Roster 2020: #9

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who is the next best player on the Packers?

Poll ended at 11 May 2020 08:41

Adrian Amos
13%
Corey Linsley
8%
Elgton Jenkins
75%
Darnell Savage
No votes
Kevin King
4%
Jace Sternberger
No votes
Jamaal Williams
No votes
Billy Turner
No votes
Rick Wagner
No votes
Alan Lazard
No votes
Devin Funchess
No votes
Dean Lowry
No votes
Christian Kirksey
No votes
Oren Burks
No votes
Chandon Sullivan
No votes
Marquez Valdes-Scantling
No votes
Equanimeous St. Brown
No votes
Rashan Gary
No votes
AJ Dillon
No votes

Total votes: 24

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
08 May 2020 15:05
Drj820 wrote:
08 May 2020 12:35
go pak go wrote:
08 May 2020 12:02
I went with Jenkins here and will go King next. He has the most production plus potential of those remaining (outside maybe a WR).

Honestly, I find it hard to argue in a debate that Jaire Alexander had a significantly larger impact in the secondary than King did which this poll suggests.
I dont think the poll suggests that. He is probably up for slot #10. We have around 10-11 very good players, not a canyon of difference between them. They are just a few slots apart from each other.
There was a lot of talk about Amos going after Elgton. That would put King then a tier below IMO is that would put King at the 3rd player in the secondary and 6th player on the defense if Amos does go ahead of King.

So my comment was more about if Amos truly indeed does go ahead of King which I think is ridiculous. King deserves to be ahead of Amos.
Oh i don’t know. I mean Amos and king are probably a pretty good debate. Both do their jobs pretty well when healthy. Amos would get some bonus points for staying healthy most of his career. Even if king is the third best player in the secondary, it doesn’t make him trash. When everyone is healthy, we have a really good secondary. The problem is they have had horroble depth in the past, and hardly ever fully healthy. But when fully healthy, This group is high quality in my opinion.

We might even easily have 6+ really good players on d. The problem hasn’t been what is good in my opinion, it’s been whats bad. The d just has some easily exploited weak spots like at ILB and RE, LE, so they can be exposed. Most of the highest tier defenses probably just don’t have the glaring weaknesses we do. But if you told me half of our d was filled with above average/really good players...I would believe it easily.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
08 May 2020 15:58
go pak go wrote:
08 May 2020 15:05
Drj820 wrote:
08 May 2020 12:35

I dont think the poll suggests that. He is probably up for slot #10. We have around 10-11 very good players, not a canyon of difference between them. They are just a few slots apart from each other.
There was a lot of talk about Amos going after Elgton. That would put King then a tier below IMO is that would put King at the 3rd player in the secondary and 6th player on the defense if Amos does go ahead of King.

So my comment was more about if Amos truly indeed does go ahead of King which I think is ridiculous. King deserves to be ahead of Amos.
Oh i don’t know. I mean Amos and king are probably a pretty good debate. Both do their jobs pretty well when healthy. Amos would get some bonus points for staying healthy most of his career. Even if king is the third best player in the secondary, it doesn’t make him trash. When everyone is healthy, we have a really good secondary. The problem is they have had horroble depth in the past, and hardly ever fully healthy. But when fully healthy, This group is high quality in my opinion.
I don't get it.

If Kevin King goes below Amos, that would put Kevin King 3rd in the secondary with likely 5 starting players if you include Nickle Corner - Bottom Half of secondary

If Kevin King goes below Amos, that would put Kevin King 6th in the defense with 11 starters - Bottom half of the defense.

And yet it is ridiculous for me to say that this poll is showing Keven King is clearly below Jaire Alexander who would have 3 defensive players between Alexander and King? Seems a little inconsistent to state our pass defense is deep and solid and that we have 2 blues and THAT many reds on a pass defense that ended up 17th in the league.

And I struggle to accept that our defense didn't produce because of really poor 2nd ILB and RE/LE. Though I agree they are sub-par, these players hardly have any impact or not even on the field at all in passing situations.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

I voted for Linsley. He's quietly become a formidable field marshall on the O-line over the past few years. Seems like yesterday he was making his first start, on the road, in Seattle. He played pretty well too, as I recall.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
08 May 2020 16:05
I don't get it.

If Kevin King goes below Amos, that would put Kevin King 3rd in the secondary with likely 5 starting players if you include Nickle Corner - Bottom Half of secondary

If Kevin King goes below Amos, that would put Kevin King 6th in the defense with 11 starters - Bottom half of the defense.

And yet it is ridiculous for me to say that this poll is showing Keven King is clearly below Jaire Alexander who would have 3 defensive players between Alexander and King? Seems a little inconsistent to state our pass defense is deep and solid and that we have 2 blues and THAT many reds on a pass defense that ended up 17th in the league.

And I struggle to accept that our defense didn't produce because of really poor 2nd ILB and RE/LE. Though I agree they are sub-par, these players hardly have any impact or not even on the field at all in passing situations.
I honestly don't understand the point you're trying to make. Who cares if a guy who has been inconsistent his whole brief career is "bottom half" of the secondary or the defense. You have a high-ceiling, inconsistent, oft-injured player and a solid, consistent, above-average healthy player. They offer different strengths and weaknesses, but you just keep telling us that if one guy goes ahead of the other, that means the other is in the "bottom half" of some group as if that matters at all. Like I genuinely don't understand what that has anything to do with ranking the players, or why a cutoff of "bottom half" means anything.

And are you saying that by refusing to believe that the D struggled only because of ILB2 and a DL, that you think Amos was part of the struggle? That Amos was part of what hurt us? If not, that point it also irrelevant to comparing 2 players against each other. Why couldn't it be King that contributed to the defense's struggles, especially with his inconsistency?

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

I vote for Crosby to go up next.....

;)
RIP JustJeff

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I went Amos. I think I need another year out of Jenkins for me to put him here. Amos is as consistent as it comes and really covered up some of Savages poor play.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

TheGreenMan wrote:
08 May 2020 16:51

;)
Was looking for a way to give you two Lombardi’s for that 🤣, don’t think there is a way.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

BF004 wrote:
08 May 2020 17:48
TheGreenMan wrote:

;)
Was looking for a way to give you two Lombardi’s for that 🤣, don’t think there is a way.
Still one more than Minnesota has.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
TheGreenMan wrote:

;)
I think you should take 100 away! :lol:
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

TheGreenMan wrote:
08 May 2020 17:50
BF004 wrote:
TheGreenMan wrote:

;)
Still one more than Minnesota has.
OH! Now you get 100 back! HA!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Looked like Elgon was gunna win #8 for sure, during the #7 and beginning of #8 thread.

Good job to the Preston debaters arguing his case. I stuck on Elgton, but you all made me think twice. :thumbl:

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Captain_Ben wrote:
08 May 2020 16:42
I voted for Linsley. He's quietly become a formidable field marshall on the O-line over the past few years. Seems like yesterday he was making his first start, on the road, in Seattle. He played pretty well too, as I recall.
Linsley started playing with Sitton and Lang flanking him. Guys who could correct his calls if he made a mistake and great enough to allow Corey to just concentrate on his man. With them gone he been solid but not spectacular. I'll go with Amos and King before coming back to Corey.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Waldo wrote:
08 May 2020 12:44
Yeah just a tier apart. Alexander was first to go on the red tier, King will got high on the solid starter tier. Its not like King is going to still be around with the questionable starters and high upside rookies that might find a role.
We are in the purples now. There are 3-maybe-4 more to go before we get to red.