Rank the Roster 2020: #11

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who is the next best player on the Packers?

Poll ended at 13 May 2020 14:02

Adrian Amos
78%
Corey Linsley
17%
Darnell Savage
No votes
Jace Sternberger
No votes
Jamaal Williams
No votes
Billy Turner
No votes
Rick Wagner
No votes
Alan Lazard
No votes
Devin Funchess
6%
Dean Lowry
No votes
Christian Kirksey
No votes
Oren Burks
No votes
Chandon Sullivan
No votes
Marquez Valdes-Scantling
No votes
Equanimeous St. Brown
No votes
Rashan Gary
No votes
AJ Dillon
No votes

Total votes: 18

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
13 May 2020 08:36
We do always talk about how we have the cornerstones of a championship team...QB, WR, RB, LT, OLB, CB1 etc, i would agree. I would just say that most championship teams have a little more proven depth in the 15-25 range.
This is interesting. For some time now we heard (not saying from you) that we didn't have enough blues (whatever that means) to win! Now we look to have enough blues and reds to win it all, but don'e have enough proven talent in the quality starter tier. Just interesting to me.

Do most championship teams have more proven depth than we have going into 2020? Personally, I would suspect that they are probably right where we are now with unproven talent at 15-25 and that talent steps up.
I tend to agree with this line of thinking. If you have enough blues and reds, everything else should fall into place. You see that with teams all the time.

A classic example I look at are the 2017 Eagles and Vikings. It's amazing how quickly your 15 - 25 on the roster can look like upper echelon talent when players around you elevate your play and your team has that swagger and confidence. Then all it takes is one year later when things don't work and you start losing that solid production from your top talent and people realize your Andrew Sendajo's of the world aren't Pro Bowl caliber players after all.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
13 May 2020 09:02
Well I would say a lot of us think we overachieved last year, and at the time, I would say that seemed like a promising lot. I felt better about that lot last year than I do about this lot.

I am like the last person to be a Debbie Downer about our team, but there is going to be a lot of guys we are going to be relying on that I really just don’t think have it.

Kind of hope we maybe still add some people before the season begins.
I always felt last year Packers fans were viewing our team incorrectly. I think there was a view that our roster was going to just continue to add talent and that it was sort of a "2006 going into 2007 type roster".

I actually always felt the opposite where the roster is about maxed out and now we just need those on the roster to elevate their play and those at the top to not decline their play. I think this year will be tough to repeat last year's success...yet isn't always repeating a 13-3 season really tough?

Only twice in my life have the Packers had two seasons in a row of 12+ wins. 96 - 97 and 01- 02.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Drj820 wrote:
13 May 2020 09:43
I think even with those spots covered well, we have some big time weaknesses that are more to make up for than other typical SB teams.
Are they though? I think most people have a far too rosy view of where Super Bowl teams were the offseason before they won it all. All teams have weaknesses or question marks going into the season, it is usually about who steps up and fills those weaknesses. 2010 Packers were a prime example of that.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Pckfn23 wrote:
13 May 2020 10:20
Drj820 wrote:
13 May 2020 09:43
I think even with those spots covered well, we have some big time weaknesses that are more to make up for than other typical SB teams.
Are they though? I think most people have a far too rosy view of where Super Bowl teams were the offseason before they won it all. All teams have weaknesses or question marks going into the season, it is usually about who steps up and fills those weaknesses. 2010 Packers were a prime example of that.
The 96 team was stacked but the 10 team had tons of guys who weren't on anyone's radar coming through at the right time. No reason we can't have guys coming out of the woodwork to contribute when needed.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I remember the '96 team being an SI power ranking #1 from Preseason until they won it all. That was a stacked team. I am pretty sure I have that SI NFL season preview with the Packers on the cover.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

And who could have predicted the stacked 2010 defense go from top 5 defense and championship caliber defense to the most porous defense in the league after losing really just one player in Nick Collins? I mean were there any other obvious holes on that defense?
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
13 May 2020 09:57
BF004 wrote:
Well I would say a lot of us think we overachieved last year, and at the time, I would say that seemed like a promising lot. I felt better about that lot last year than I do about this lot.

I am like the last person to be a Debbie Downer about our team, but there is going to be a lot of guys we are going to be relying on that I really just don’t think have it.

I always felt last year Packers fans were viewing our team incorrectly. I think there was a view that our roster was going to just continue to add talent and that it was sort of a "2006 going into 2007 type roster".

I actually always felt the opposite where the roster is about maxed out and now we just need those on the roster to elevate their play and those at the top to not decline their play. I think this year will be tough to repeat last year's success...yet isn't always repeating a 13-3 season really tough?

Only twice in my life have the Packers had two seasons in a row of 12+ wins. 96 - 97 and 01- 02.
I've found it impossible to predict just how good or bad a team will be, thats why I think one of the smartest things McCarthy ever said was "each year is a new team" and it's not the addition or so much subtraction of players as it is existing players rise and fall in ability and scheme fits.

this unit is pretty well stocked from top to bottom, sure we need some players to step up, but then most/all teams do, last season we had health and weaker schedule, and lady luck finally gave us a few breaks, who can even attempt to predict any of that, last year I guessed 12-4, ( 3 stooges and all) this year I would probably guess 11-4, after all, we lost Curly :lol:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go wrote:
13 May 2020 09:57
BF004 wrote:

Yes, we are about maxed out int terms of salary cap available vs people needing to get paid. Which is why I would have liked to restock some talent at some key positions rather than backup QB, backup RB, and backup TE with our first four picks. :poke:

We'll see how this all plays out, but restocking at OL, DL and CB while maybe getting some instant impact at WR would certainly have given us our best chance of winning the next 3-4 years, IMO. :beer2:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

BF004 wrote:
13 May 2020 12:14
Yes, we are about maxed out int terms of salary cap available vs people needing to get paid. Which is why I would have liked to restock some talent at some key positions rather than backup QB, backup RB, and backup TE with our first four picks.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :rotf: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Amos runs with this one. Savage next for me and then its a group of guys with kirksey maybe at the top. As far as Lindslay I'm not close to voting for him. Ive been vocal about not being high on him for a long time. His best trait is his availability...which is important. Other then that hes very very average at a plug and play position. If we make it through camp and the rooks look promising I can see him being cut to free up some cap space.