Rank the Roster 2020: #16

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who is the next best player on the Packers?

Poll ended at 21 May 2020 13:58

Jace Sternberger
44%
Jamaal Williams
6%
Billy Turner
No votes
Alan Lazard
13%
Devin Funchess
No votes
Dean Lowry
No votes
Oren Burks
No votes
Chandon Sullivan
6%
Marquez Valdes-Scantling
No votes
Equanimeous St. Brown
No votes
Rashan Gary
25%
AJ Dillon
No votes
Ka'Dar Hollman
No votes
Kingsley Keke
No votes
Raven Greene
6%
Robert Tonyan
No votes
Josiah Deguara
No votes
Jon Runyan
No votes
Tyler Lancaster
No votes

Total votes: 16

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I love Raven Greene but Chandon Sullivan will be ahead for me. Sullivan played lights out ball last year and was avialable.

Raven Greene has had a tough time staying on the field. Greene was put in a larger role after we traded Clinton Dix after the Rams game in 2018 since we already also had Kentrell Brice battling injuries. Greene played admirably against the Pats, Phins and Hawks which made us excited but suffered an ankle injury against the Hawks and he never saw a snap after that.

Greene then played great to open against Chicago as well as MN. However, Greene got hurt in the 2nd quarter against MN and never played a snap in 2019.

So overall, Greene has played a total of 3 full games in two years. I hope he is what we hope he is because the dude could be awesome for our niche role. But so far we have not been able to rely on that.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
21 May 2020 11:49
So overall, Greene has played a total of 3 full games in two years. I hope he is what we hope he is because the dude could be awesome for our niche role. But so far we have not been able to rely on that.
Huh. Is that really true? Did he play in the playoff games one of those years? I feel like I remember him returning and helping out :idn:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 May 2020 11:15
He's a guy whose play is about average,
To me, thats why he is the hunt at #16. He is average (like all the other players left on this list), plus he adds some great intangibles.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 May 2020 12:41
go pak go wrote:
Huh. Is that really true? Did he play in the playoff games one of those years? I feel like I remember him returning and helping out :idn:
Raven Greene was a UDFA rookie in 2018.

We didn't make the playoffs in 2018 and he never played against Seattle or San Francisco in the 2019 playoffs. Wasn't active on the 46 game day roster for either game.

Now again I love Greene. I said at the time of injury that his being on the sideline against MN was actually very bad for us because we had virtually no answer behind him and that rained true until they started bringing Sullivan over Redmond at that spot.

But we also might want to take a step back on his enthusiasm because Greene didn't even play 6 quarters in 2019 and hardly played at all in 2018.

Raven Greene's injury in 2018 is why we played Ibraheim Campbell and *whatever his first name* Pleasant at safety
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
21 May 2020 12:52
YoHoChecko wrote:
21 May 2020 11:15
He's a guy whose play is about average,
To me, thats why he is the hunt at #16. He is average (like all the other players left on this list), plus he adds some great intangibles.
I guess I can see that; that's the glory of Waldo's set-up (no rules, make your own criteria).

For me, if a player is average in ability (actually regardless of his ability) that player's likely role is a major factor in my consideration. I just think Williams and Dillon are likely to split the backup reps, which leaves us with a shared committee role for a guy that isn't likely to make a dynamic impact in that smaller role.

Meanwhile, a guy like Gary or one of the WRs might take 300 snaps and make a more dynamic sort of impact with those snaps. Williams, at this point, strikes me as sort of a Kuhn kind of player. We love him, he's capable, he'll pass protect and get a few carries and maybe score a couple TDs. But his impact on the team is actually fairly small/replaceable.

I mean, honestly, if Williams tore his ACL tomorrow, I wouldn't anticipate our season unfolding any differently.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
21 May 2020 12:57
Raven Greene's injury in 2018 is why we played Ibraheim Campbell and *whatever his first name* Pleasant at safety
To be fair, Campbell filled in admirably in both years. Maybe it's his return from injury last season that I'm thinking about.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 May 2020 12:41
go pak go wrote:
That was the dream. But, it never happened. Actually, I was surprised, myself, but according to Pro Football Reference he has only logged defensive snaps in 4 NFL games.

2018 - MIA (his break-out) & @ SEA
2019 - @ CHI & MIN

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... elog/2018/
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... elog/2019/

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 May 2020 13:14
go pak go wrote:
21 May 2020 12:57
To be fair, Campbell filled in admirably in both years. Maybe it's his return from injury last season that I'm thinking about.
Absolutely. Ibraheim Campbell was a fantastic replacement and honestly I would rather have Campbell over Redmond. Though I think they really like Redmond on STs. I was a bit surprised we let Campbell walk though.
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
21 May 2020 13:34
Absolutely. Ibraheim Campbell was a fantastic replacement and honestly I would rather have Campbell over Redmond. Though I think they really like Redmond on STs. I was a bit surprised we let Campbell walk though.
I'm a little surprised, as well. I'm hoping that Vernon Scott beats Redmond out for the 4th S roster spot, to be honest.

I think NCF has talked me down from Greene, but I'm not sure if I'll change my vote or to whom just yet.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 May 2020 13:41
go pak go wrote:
I'm a little surprised, as well. I'm hoping that Vernon Scott beats Redmond out for the 4th S roster spot, to be honest.

I think NCF has talked me down from Greene, but I'm not sure if I'll change my vote or to whom just yet.
if we could find someone better than redmond, thats great for the team. But it is not as critical to me as it once was. When he first was on the field on defense, he was awful. I lamented that he doesnt look like he could start on an sec college team. The eagles mercilessly looked for him and picked on him. that said...

i think he showed noticeable improvement. Something that is somewhat rare. By the end of the year, it wasnt ideal when he was playing..but it didnt feel like something horrible was about to happen. He is a rare case of me thinking someone deserves to be cut, to growing into someone i see their value on the team once you add in his work on ST.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
21 May 2020 13:49
YoHoChecko wrote:
21 May 2020 13:41
go pak go wrote:

if we could find someone better than redmond, thats great for the team. But it is not as critical to me as it once was. When he first was on the field on defense, he was awful. I lamented that he doesnt look like he could start on an sec college team. The eagles mercilessly looked for him and picked on him. that said...

i think he showed noticeable improvement. Something that is somewhat rare. By the end of the year, it wasnt ideal when he was playing..but it didnt feel like something horrible was about to happen. He is a rare case of me thinking someone deserves to be cut, to growing into someone i see their value on the team once you add in his work on ST.
With Vernon's Scott's measurables I think there is reason to hope he makes the roster based on athleticism for STs and backup safety. I am rooting for Scott. I guess that Canadian safety could be fun to root for too.
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
21 May 2020 14:33
With Vernon's Scott's measurables I think there is reason to hope he makes the roster based on athleticism for STs and backup safety. I am rooting for Scott. I guess that Canadian safety could be fun to root for too.
Yeah, there are two types of players you want to have at the bottom of your roster:
  • guys with great measurables who can contribute on ST and might develop into real players
  • guys with "meh" measurables who have great intangibles and attitude that contribute to the locker room and can chip in on the field whenever needed, even if they don't have the athletic talent for bigger roles down the line
I think Scott and the Canadian dude offer some of the former, while someone like Redmond or Campbell are more of the latter.

I am plenty pleased with our safety room right now.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Honestly I am plenty pleased with all our position rooms for the exception of the following:

1. Defensive Line
2. Offensive Tackle
3. Inside backer (though I am excited about the rookie)
4. Wide Receiver

I think we are about 4 players away and a lot of these could already be on the team.
Yoop wrote: